• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLD

In case anyone is wondering about Disgaea 2 PC now that its released, Disgaea 2 PC's port is significantly better than Disgaea 1's. I've suffered no framerate drops or glitchy graphics like the first game.
099ow60.png

That's not surprising. I went back to finish the first game a few weeks ago and it was in a significantly better state than at launch. Even controller support has been drastically improved (it now has X360 style button prompts instead of generic numbers). Phantom Brave seemed to be in a similar state, too. So it looks like they learned a lot from that first rough launch.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
there is certinly a "pc v consoles" vibe recently around here, specificall with PS4 (like I said, since the pro). You have uninformed console gamers saying dumb stuff about the pro, but then you would expect people here to rise above but no, they act the same. Not saying its you in particular, but to deny its happening its funny.

Case in point, tell me exactly what the point of, in a Steam thread, having a radnom "I dont see the big deal about Horizon", please enlighten me what that has to do with PC, or Steam or any discussion we should have in this thread.

Or the various "you wont believe what console warriors are saying about PC guyz" posts for example. Its like there always has to be a "war" and since Sony v Xbox fizzled out, and Nintendo is on their own la la land, now its Sony v PC.

Why do we have discussions about the Switch then, or anime?

All I said was I didn't understand the hype, and I don't.

Battlechili

Banned
That's not surprising. I went back to finish the first game a few weeks ago and it was in a significantly better state than at launch. Even controller support has been drastically improved (it now has X360 style button prompts instead of generic numbers). Phantom Brave seemed to be in a similar state, too. So it looks like they learned a lot from that first rough launch.
They're definitely learning, although I'd argue Disgaea 1 PC still has some issues. I get framerate drops during combination attacks and for some reason Pleinair randomly has the character filter turned on and off for her specifically even if you have the filter set to something else. Thankfully neither Phantom Brave PC nor Disgaea 2 PC suffer this.

JakeD

as a ps4 owner, i was pretty psyched when i first saw it. high budget open world game starring a cavewoman. then i saw it was actually about hacking robots and my interest fell off a cliff

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

yes, why DO we have discussions about the Switch in the Steam thread? Maybe mods should come in and politely "ask" people not to talk about console stuff for example, like they "asked" people not to talk about Overwatch back when that was hot?

yes, why DO we have discussions about the Switch in the Steam thread? Maybe mods should come in and politely "ask" people not to talk about console stuff for example, like they "asked" people not to talk about Overwatch back when that was hot?

Mods: "Hey guys could you use common sense and not be a shitty insular thread that shits on console exclusives for absolutely no reason? Thanks"

FFS, it is that hard? Do we even need the mods for this? Why do we need to talk about Horizon or the Switch? There's no reason to discuss it here, and even less to claim that console folks are just hyping the game/console because they have terrible taste or are just console warriors. Get over your snooty bullshit.

cyba89

Yeah, glad to see I'm not the only one seeing it this way. Same old heavily marketed "graphics" show piece, well suited to those easily marketed to, looking for the above and with a casual enough interest in games that this is enough to satiate them. Meanwhile the rest seems to be the usual folks in for the "hype" of a typical graphical focused first party exclusive title satiating their own ego and platform baiting. Always a little bizarre to look at these things from the outside in and see it for what it is. Game looks as meh as most of these sorts. Good for those into that kind of thing.

Wow... someone is sitting on a very high horse.

Can't believe people here still make fun of those PC vs console threads while the same awful platform wars shitposts exist in the Steam thread right here.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Rhaknar

I mean tbh you should expect zero news from the FF event for anything PC related.

I know damn it, I know >_<

but Tizoc was saying they are announcing FFT and now I cant help it.

edit: technically Tizoc only linked a quote from someone else btw :p

Battlechili

Banned
There's a Nier Q&A going on.

https://twitter.com/NieRGame/status/826147707072954369

The stream died though about 20 minutes ago so who knows when they'll be back lol

God I just hope they give us any bit of info on the PC version already.

EDIT: And the tweets gone, oops!
Its on Facebook. At 8:40, they were asked about the PC version and all they said was that they're hard at work on it trying to get it ready and out in Japan but right now they aren't allowed to talk about it

Ascheroth

The sales drop-off between the first and second game has been considerable. If it continues for this one (only 15% of previous game), that would make for around 4000 sales. And this time it releases only on Steam, so no additional revenue.
Nice that XSEED is basically translating these as a free public service. At least I hope they have no real sales expectations.

33% have finished SC, which would be somewhere between 10 and 13k, and since it's PC only there are going to be a number of people who played the previous ones on the PSP jumping on board.
It's going to be intersting to see what the numbers will be, but yeah I don't expect it to light the sales-chart on fire :(

Nzyme32

I'm sorry, i'm not arguing with your point of view of not being hyped with the game, you're one who posted stuff like this:

How the hell isn't that a "yo i'm superior" attitude? Like i said, get off that high horse. Is it 'bizarre to see it for what it is'? 'Suited to those easily marketed to'? I mean, wut? What would that be? A game that looks cool, has a unique setting and could be good (or not?)

No one is contesting if you're not hyped or something like that, but yeah, that attitude is really silly.

Wow... someone is sitting on a very high horse.

Can't believe people here still make fun of those PC vs console threads while the same awful platform wars shitposts exist in the Steam thread right here.

Because you see it as such because you feel belittled, when there is no reason to be and neither is it intended to belittle or downplay the fact that many people enjoy those games and find value in them. Clearly it isn't worded well enough.

It is simply a point about graphics and action trumping gameplay in marketing and that being a big appeal to "causal" gamers over other types marketed games - "casual" being people without their ear to the ground reliant on adverts and word of mouth to here about what might interest them. I bring this up particularly because this exact conversation came up at new year with my group of friends, discussing how we (including me) were much more susceptible to this with games than we are for movies and TV. Indeed my answer around this since 2013 is now relying on GAF, some websites and few other friends that are far more knowledgeable, and eventually that has led me to look for different things than marketing alone. Even I look for similar games, but I find it interesting that so much "hype" takes over for a lot of people when concerning a platform specific "exclusive", that then throws out any discussion that might challenge aspects of the game, as regularly shown from the gaming side and gaming specific sites in particular.

As someone that doesn't engage nearly as much as I used to with console gaming to around 2013 / 2014) and its marketing, I make this point about "outside looking in" because no marketing and "hype" is like this, and it is genuinely bizarre to watch in how much it has seemingly imo escalated in both its aggression, behaviour and tribalism from groups of others along with "hype culture" in general, and also dismissal of much in the way of criticism (whether fair or not) or even discussion particularly in places like this. Out with my friends discussion is easy to have since there is a disconnect of this kind of devotion to companies, and we ended up in the situation where we realise we get excited on the marketing but are not thinking though the actual game much of the time. That discussion then drags up many of the frustrating flaws we find in similar games and what we actually want to see.

None of this is to say that such games are neither enjoyable nor great to look forward to and play, but the marketing machine behind it, the attitudes that accompany it and worse so in the communities that thrive on what I could only describe as tribalism and thus a failure to even consider other points of view, is pile of arseholes - serving these two categories more than most imo. The platforms for this are utterly irrelevant as it occurs on all of them to some degree, so throwing me on the platform warrior bus is again pointless and almost throwing more favour on my argument. It is easier to market an action laden graphical show to the vast majority of gamers than it is to do the same for other game - in general I feel this is why that particular genre is so over prescribed and yet remains successful. It works, and doesn't need to be altered, so rarely does. That is something I both like and hate about it.

Tizoc

I'm sick to death of open world games, FF XV is the last straw for me, one chapter was just running around its empty world to electric trees

Go play Yakuza Zero. In fact the Yakuza series is a good example of how a hub world works far better than an open world setting.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Go play Yakuza Zero. In fact the Yakuza series is a good example of how a hub world works far better than an open world setting.

I prefer hub worlds, and I'm definitely playing Yakuza after I finish FF XV and Watch Dogs 2

Because you see it as such because you feel belittled, when there is no reason to be and neither is it intended to belittle or downplay the fact that many people enjoy those games and find value in them. Clearly it isn't worded well enough.

It is simply a point about graphics and action trumping gameplay in marketing and that being a big appeal to "causal" gamers over other types marketed games - "casual" being people without their ear to the ground reliant on adverts and word of mouth to here about what might interest them. I bring this up particularly because this exact conversation came up at new year with my group of friends, discussing how we (including me) were much more susceptible to this with games than we are for movies and TV. Indeed my answer around this since 2013 is now relying on GAF, some websites and few other friends that are far more knowledgeable, and eventually that has led me to look for different things than marketing alone. Even I look for similar games, but I find it interesting that so much "hype" takes over for a lot of people when concerning a platform specific "exclusive", that then throws out any discussion that might challenge aspects of the game, as regularly shown from the gaming side and gaming specific sites in particular.

As someone that doesn't engage nearly as much as I used to with console gaming to around 2013 / 2014) and its marketing, I make this point about "outside looking in" because no marketing and "hype" is like this, and it is genuinely bizarre to watch in how much it has seemingly imo escalated in both its aggression, behaviour and tribalism from groups of others along with "hype culture" in general, and also dismissal of much in the way of criticism (whether fair or not) or even discussion particularly in places like this. Out with my friends discussion is easy to have since there is a disconnect of this kind of devotion to companies, and we ended up in the situation where we realise we get excited on the marketing but are not thinking though the actual game much of the time. That discussion then drags up many of the frustrating flaws we find in similar games and what we actually want to see.

None of this is to say that such games are neither enjoyable nor great to look forward to and play, but the marketing machine behind it, the attitudes that accompany it and worse so in the communities that thrive on what I could only describe as tribalism and thus a failure to even consider other points of view, is pile of arseholes - serving these two categories more than most imo. The platforms for this are utterly irrelevant as it occurs on all of them to some degree, so throwing me on the platform warrior bus is again pointless and almost throwing more favour on my argument. It is easier to market an action laden graphical show to the vast majority of gamers than it is to do the same for other game - in general I feel this is why that particular genre is so over prescribed and yet remains successful. It works, and doesn't need to be altered, so rarely does. That is something I both like and hate about it.

SteamGAF is a weird place, where folks like me who openly enjoy games like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of Mordor, and COD: IW have to co-exist with those who think my gaming tastes are a blight on the industry. But that kind of goes for the whole forum, doesn't it.

I think part of your point is an interesting one, in that certain types of games get more attention, but it's also wrapped up in this accusation of how the rest of this forum doesn't see the truth, ignores criticism, and is getting blindly hyped. I don't think this is productive for any thread on GAF, and you'll see me continue to criticize it. I like the games I buy, and I'm not finding myself blinded by fanboyism, nor by the marketing. Quit trying to attribute motives to my gaming tastes just because you disagree with them!

Nzyme32

SteamGAF is a weird place, where folks like me who openly enjoy games like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of Mordor, and COD: IW have to co-exist with those who think my gaming tastes are a blight on the industry. But that kind of goes for the whole forum, doesn't it.

I think part of your point is an interesting one, in that certain types of games get more attention, but it's also wrapped up in this accusation of how the rest of this forum doesn't see the truth, ignores criticism, and is getting blindly hyped. I don't think this is productive for any thread on GAF, and you'll see me continue to criticize it. I like the games I buy, and I'm not finding myself blinded by fanboyism, nor by the marketing. Quit trying to attribute motives to my gaming tastes just because you disagree with them!

Lets be clear here, as I thought I was in the previous post, but apparently haven't been - I am not saying the entire forum is like that nor am I saying x platform fans are like that (as I thought as was clear on), I am saying without doubt that there is a higher proportion of that kind of behaviour and it particularly thrives here. There are myriad of reasons for that that will not even be gaming related and more the social norms of the web etc, but that seems to clearly be the way it is imo.

Parsnip

Horizon looks pretty and has great story potential because of the interesting setting, but that's kind of it for me.
The sad part is that because it's Guerrilla, I don't expect them to fulfill that potential. None of the Killzone games have had particularly great stories, quite frankly I can't really remember what even happens in those games. Something something space nazis. As someone who's story first kind of gamer, this kills almost all of my interest in it.

Also I've been playing a lot of Witcher 3 lately and I think once I'm done with it I'm good for open world games for at least a decade.

Lets be clear here, as I thought I was in the previous post, but apparently haven't been - I am not saying the entire forum is like that nor am I saying x platform fans are like that (as I thought as was clear on), I am saying without doubt that there is a higher proportion of that kind of behaviour and it particularly thrives here. There are myriad of reasons for that that will not even be gaming related and more the social norms of the web etc, but that seems to clearly be the way it is imo.

Perhaps you misunderstand me - any sort of claim of this hype/fanboyism behavior is a lame way to explain things to you don't agree with. It doesn't matter if it's 10 posters or the whole forum. It doesn't matter if it's one platform or the other. You'll find me opposed to it either way. Your entire perspective on this is wrong and does a disservice to those you disagree with.

Granjinha

Yo stop trying to juggle the blame here, i got mad and the problem wasn't that it 'wasn't worded well enough', it was your attitude. I didn't feel belittled at all but you took the high horse approach when you're not smarter than anyone else on a forum where people go to, uh, discuss games and talk about geek stuff? (at least in this thread and the gaming section)

I don't think you are a platform warrior, but what you posted now and what you posted before this are literally different. The content, not the intent, necessarily. So yeah, i get angry when people think or act like they are smarter or have more insight in a place where everyone is reading news, articles and a good part of them love the same hobby you do. It's the same stupid approach people have with stuff like The Last Guardian but in a different way. Instead of 'You didn't understand it that's why you didn't like it! its 'you didn't understand it that's why you liked it!'

Case in point: i literally agree with every point you made. And it really isn't the same thing you said before.

Teggy

Am I correct in that Steam will only allow 100 cards in your inventory at a time and this will stall Idle Master?

It was running 30 games at once last night and I woke up to a ton of cards but noticed that new games were not being swapped out after cards were exhausted for those games.

rtcn63

DOOM being SteamGAF's GOTY even though the people who made it weren't confident enough to promote the singleplayer before release. I'm not welcome here, I know this and I'm sure my days are numbered to glees in the shadows.

Although wasn't Rogue Legacy a GOTY? Folks here turned on that shit quick.

I might replay Dead Space 2 for the umpteenth time I'm so bored.

Am I correct in that Steam will only allow 100 cards in your inventory at a time and this will stall Idle Master?

It was running 30 games at once last night and I woke up to a ton of cards but noticed that new games were not being swapped out after cards were exhausted for those games.

I think you can have more than 100 in your inventory but you need to check your inventory to clear the notification once you have 100 new cards.

Dinjoralo

I'm thinking about Disgaea 2... I feel like I should get through the first one's story before picking it up, at least. Then pick it up next time it's on sale. Though the stuff about NISA's PC ports picking up steam after Disgaea's launch is on point, their post-launch support has been amazing.

I crave cute fluffy things. :p

Phawx

DOOM being SteamGAF's GOTY even though the people who made it weren't confident enough to promote the singleplayer before release. I'm not welcome here, I know this and I'm sure my days are numbered to glees in the shadows.

Although wasn't Rogue Legacy a GOTY? Folks here turned on that shit quick.

I might replay Dead Space 2 for the umpteenth time I'm so bored.

Why are you not welcome here? And why are people happy you may potentially be leaving?

Nzyme32

Yo stop trying to juggle the blame here, i got mad and the problem wasn't that it 'wasn't worded well enough', it was your attitude. I didn't feel belittled at all but you took the high horse approach when you're not smarter than anyone else on a forum where people to, uh, discuss games and talk about geek stuff? (at least in this thread and the gaming section)

I don't think you are a platform warrior at all, but what you posted now and what you posted before this are literally different. The content, not the intent, necessarily. So yeah, i get angry when people think or act like they are smarter or have more insight in a place where everyone is reading news, articles and a good part of them love the same hobby you do. It's the same stupid approach people have with stuff like The Last Guardian but in a different way. Instead of 'You didn't understand it that's why you didn't like it! its 'you didn't understand it that's why you liked it!'

Case in point: i literally agree with every point you made. And it really isn't the same thing you said before.

You're going in a loop imo. I made no attempt to be smart, I made no attempt to have an attitude that is on a "high horse". If you see it as that, I'm sorry for making you mad, but that is just my opinion on the oft heavily marketed games, genre in general and particularly HZD. The reasoning feels one and the same to me, the highlighted parts I explained and they mean the same as what I meant, but I can see how the way I said it comes off as adversarial vs my own view, so point taken

Perhaps you misunderstand me - any sort of claim of this hype/fanboyism behavior is a lame way to explain things to you don't agree with. It doesn't matter if it's 10 posters or the whole forum. It doesn't matter if it's one platform or the other. You'll find me opposed to it either way. Your entire perspective on this is wrong and does a disservice to those you disagree with.

Well that's up to you, I'm not sure how I can explain it further, but I'm fairly sure you have the wrong end of the stick

Battlechili

Banned
I'm thinking about Disgaea 2... I feel like I should get through the first one's story before picking it up, at least. Then pick it up next time it's on sale. Though the stuff about NISA's PC ports picking up steam after Disgaea's launch is on point, their post-launch support has been amazing.

I crave cute fluffy things. :p
Disgaea 2's story doesn't have anything to do with the first's if that means anything.

Zeeman

Grabbed the free Humble code but forgot I already had it, so here you go:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Zeeman, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

XCOM: UFO Defense -- MB-ABD7D4A589B56ADF - Taken by Purkake4

Rhaknar

that john wick humble bundle is already over? that was fast, didnt it go live thursday?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

2064: Read Only Memories -- MB-6D7143BBC88232C0 - Taken by purseowner

Monooboe

I think I need to uninstall Risk of Rain, way too adictive for me, my finger hurts because I've been pressing the trigger too hard.XD I still haven't been able to beat the fourth world, so I need to keep going!

Any tips anyone, something that I might not have thought of?

Ozium

lol

man SteamGAF is really salty with AAA games huh

i mean i'm the guy who loved OneShot, had Shadow Tactics has his GOTY last year and love niche/complex stuff and i'm still pretty hyped for Horizon.

But sure, suited to those 'easily marketed to'

some of you really need to get off that high horse

re: horizon zero dawn thread

I thought hype threads were banned... who makes a thread about previews? previews are pretty much paid-for marketing

and people eat up previews like they are some form of critical review of the game

so yes, suited to those easily marketed to

and in fact in another thread when I asked what the definition of AAA was, the only answer I got was "big budget, big marketing budget"

didn't know "big marketing budget" had anything to do with quality of a game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom