• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Beating a game and then putting them in a genre as a way to mark completion still works for me, everything else is unsorted or in a "ZZZ Does Not Work" category (for dead betas that don't get removed automatically or just don't work on my current system due to age).

Beat Sanctum 2, off to Tower Defence it went. Beat Just Cause 2, to Third Person Shooter it went. Beat original Thief, to Stealth it went. Beat The Wonderful End of the World, to "Pick-Em-Up" it went.

It's fun to try and figure out where things fit after I've done it and I can think over what it was all about.

Edit: Oh right, Real Pic January.

Now waiting for IndieGala to copy the new design

But still take forever to load, buy something or access you account.

At one point I had grand plans, but 63% or so of my collection still lies in the default games category.

Y0XwWKh.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A recent scan of my friends list indicates that Shade is very close to catching up to JaseC in number of games.

He'll probably pass me by the end of the month. It's now been nine months and some change since I more or less stopped collecting. Time flies!

bobawesome

My first visual novel foil card. I feel like I'm on top of the world. I can finally drop out of college and put a down payment on a house.

I was looking at the name of the haul thread (games you'll never touch) and it got me interested.. is there any statistics available on steam game hours player the way we have ownership statistics from steamspy? I would really like to know how many people bought which games to never play them at all..

C4rter

Another question to Gamepump.

They say we get "NES classic, SNES, GENESIS ERA, and PC retro re-releases"and "We only publish games that have never been on modern PC marketplaces." and "you can elect to instead receive a Steam key.".

That means that they first publish the game to Steam on the day the game will be published, so this Friday? Does it even work that fast?
If not, wouldn't it be possible to see the game in the steamdb in advance?

This 33% discount on Afterbirth+ is probably the best it'll get for a long time right? They've been pretty stingy with discounting Rebirth and Afterbirth before this.

JaseC

Another question to Gamepump.

They say we get "NES classic, SNES, GENESIS ERA, and PC retro re-releases"and "We only publish games that have never been on modern PC marketplaces." and "you can elect to instead receive a Steam key.".

That means that they first publish the game to Steam on the day the game will be published, so this Friday? Does it even work that fast?
If not, wouldn't it be possible to see the game in the steamdb in advance?

It means that the games Gamepump is involved with have never been made available on "modern PC marketplaces" before, not that they won't be uploaded until the moment before release. SteamDB isn't privy to app to names until they've been unlocked and package names until they're put into use on the store, so barring some sort of snafu such as the Steam Help website once again happily spitting out app names regardless of owned licences, the games won't leak ahead of time. I think you'll find that many if not most of the games Gamepump will release this year were uploaded to Steam months ago.

I was looking at the name of the haul thread (games you'll never touch) and it got me interested.. is there any statistics available on steam game hours player the way we have ownership statistics from steamspy? I would really like to know how many people bought which games to never play them at all..

I don't know, but you can look at global achievements for a good indication.

C4rter

It means that the games Gamepump is involved with have never been made available on "modern PC marketplaces" before, not that they won't be uploaded until the moment before release. SteamDB isn't privy to app to names until they've been unlocked and package names until they're put into use on the store, so barring some sort of snafu such as the Steam Help website once again happily spitting out app names regardless of owned licences, the games won't leak ahead of time. I think you'll find that many if not most of the games Gamepump will release this year were uploaded to Steam months ago.

Thanks for the answer. Well okay, anyhow, I just bought the subscription. What can go wrong with 20$ for 13 brand new games? The guarantee that they are not common bundle fodder is the best selling point.

Miletius

This 33% discount on Afterbirth+ is probably the best it'll get for a long time right? They've been pretty stingy with discounting Rebirth and Afterbirth before this.

The lowest Afterbirth has been is 40 percent according to isthereanydeal, and it's been almost a year now. If you want to play Afterbirth+ anytime soon I'd say go for it.

Rebirth has been 50 percent off, but it's 2 years old now. Yeesh that's kinda nuts actually.

Trying to put together my GOTY list but I'm having trouble deciding on the order I should go with.

None of the ones I've put a lot of time into jump out at me as deserving that spot but I feel like I can't vote for the ones who's time is on the lower end.

PaulSane

Apparently, i'm also at the point where i can't tell at a first glance whether i own a game on steam or not when i enter giveaways :p So i'll be giving this one back.

EDIT: forgot to add NOTHANKS rule :p

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me :)
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Q.U.B.E. Director's Cut -- MB-D0D692467337EECE - Taken by Polishin8r. 3 entrants total.

t1483539010z1.png

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The lowest Afterbirth has been is 40 percent according to isthereanydeal, and it's been almost a year now. If you want to play Afterbirth+ anytime soon I'd say go for it.

Rebirth has been 50 percent off, but it's 2 years old now. Yeesh that's kinda nuts actually.

I'd also add that Afterbirth's biggest discount was when it released, presumably as part of a similar deal, so you should definitely jump on the Afterbirth+ discount now. Besides, it's not that much money and it's paving the way for a year of smaller updates to come.

Is there any history of games not releasing when they're supposed to on Steam?

Sometime during the winter sale, while browsing for deals I found the store page for Redneck Rampage, listed as "coming soon". At some point it started showing a release date, I think it was Dec 23. The "time until release" continued to track until it should have been available, but then it changed back to "coming soon." A few days later the release date changed to Jan 3. Same thing happened, it counted down until release time, them switched back to "coming soon."

Google is telling me nothing about the game releasing on Steam. I can't find anyone talking about it, or any announcement. The only thing I'm finding is the actual steam community discussions on the game's forum.

JaseC

The change from prerelease/preloadonly -> released isn't automatic, so publishers have to keep on top of an imminent new release, otherwise, as you've noticed, the status on the store page will change to "Coming Soon" and the game will appear as a recent release as Steam assumes that the game is supposed to be available but someone just forgot to flip the switch. There was some confusion surrounding South Park the other week as Ubi forgot to update the release date in the months since announcing the delay.

Wok

SolForge discontinued. Another Kickstarter ending there.

http://solforgegame.com/news/announcement-from-justin-gary/

the average steam player has like maybe 15-25 games.

so i would say the 1st percentile GAF member is the average Steam player, and the average Steam-GAF person is around the 99th percentile Steam player. So is it that weird that a few avid collectors here are invested enough to track down removed-from-sale oddities and rubbish?

That also means that I have almost as many Steam accounts as games owned by the average Steam player.

abracadaver

All Steam games need achievements! I don't play games without achievements anymore. Feels pointless to me.

I even bought the DOOM Season Pass just to get the multiplayer achievements.

There are so many games that I would like to play but I just won't until they get achievements. That's why I'm super happy when an old game gets updated with achievements and I can finally play it. (Like the Amnesia games recently)

JaseC

What motivates you now to keep not collecting?

I am half-collecting and really don't wanna buy games just because they've been delisted.

I wouldn't say that I'm motivated to not collect; rather, my desire to collect deflated. By the time I realised I wouldn't be able to comfortably afford my trip, I'd already missed the boat on several things that I likely otherwise would have purchased.

Wok

Sometime during the winter sale, while browsing for deals I found the store page for Redneck Rampage, listed as "coming soon". At some point it started showing a release date, I think it was Dec 23. The "time until release" continued to track until it should have been available, but then it changed back to "coming soon." A few days later the release date changed to Jan 3. Same thing happened, it counted down until release time, them switched back to "coming soon."

Google is telling me nothing about the game releasing on Steam. I can't find anyone talking about it, or any announcement. The only thing I'm finding is the actual steam community discussions on the game's forum.

I have noticed that trend and I suspect it is mischievous devs who try to spam the "coming soon" section by changing the "release date" every so often.

Tizoc

Guys we need a new Steamdb Leak
WE NEED A NEW LEAK DAMNIT!

This year I aim to complete more than 52 games.
I've completed 3 games so far, and PnC Adventure games are sure to get me halfway thru in no time :p

Wok

Monooboe

Guys we need a new Steamdb Leak
WE NEED A NEW LEAK DAMNIT!

This year I aim to complete more than 52 games.
I've completed 3 games so far, and PnC Adventure games are sure to get me halfway thru in no time :p

I've started the year with Battlefield 1, I rebought The Divsion with season pass on Xbox One and I also rebought The long Dark... all are never ending games haha, so my 52 challange is to a bad start.XD

I am however going to count each episode of telltales Batman as one game.:D

Vuze

What is ego shooter?
FPS ;)

As for categories, I've found that the category tools just aren't for me. Mainly because they can't detect what I deem worthy of my "Trash" category. But perhaps this forked version allows for filtering according to meta critic of uncategorized games... I'll take a look I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom