• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Midora got greenlit, cool. Now let's see if it can sneak past Nintendo's lawyers.
JaseC alert

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's Greenlight-time!

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=283183175

....I've heard of Spud's Quest.

Apparently I forgot to work through the June 25th list. That's Valve's fault for hosting the Summer Sale earlier than I was expecting. ;)

Geographically, I do have a better chance.

tumblr_m2phwqMaAI1rn435g.gif

It's on. :p

Dr Dogg

hmm wonder if i should get the last 3 tomb raider games before the reboot, there's a sale on gmg

http://www.greenmangaming.com/tomb-raider/

For me the only 'bad' Tomb Raider's are IV, V & VI and then it's only because IV and V felt like Core were recycling their ideas and really the only one I've thrown to the side was VI (Angel of Darkness) out of pure frustration with the controls, which for me were at an all time low with that one (though that game bizarrely does have it's fans). The Crystal Dynamics ones range from ok to really good. They do mess around with Lara's backstory (it's a bit hit and miss for some people and does change Lara's motivation for her reson to become an adventurer but I won't spoil it) but Christ it's been tinkered around with enough now anyway. Legend does have a lot of 'Blockbuster' QTEs but Anniversary has the Mansion training level back, and arguably better than ever (even if it's smaller than III's). Opinion is divided on Underworld, I found it had the right balance of puzzles, combat (much, much improved) and while there are still QTEs they have been toned down a fair bit. All three have a running plot but Anniversary goes before Legend but play Legend first so not to mess with the order of things.

At the price they are going for it's a steel if you like the old mix of puzzling, traversal and combat. As an added bonus for anyone with a 3D setup all 3 of Crystal Dynamics game work really well.

xeris

Going to give this a shot. I'm sure y'all will let me know if it didn't work.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (xeris, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Stacking -- MB-E4FCE106739533B4 - Taken by Flips360. 13 entrants total.
Windforge -- MB-A494FB48F921571F - Taken by Miktar. 1 entrants total.
Paranautical Activity (Early Access) -- MB-B83D8C4D7CA060B8 - Taken by Majukun. 1 entrants total.

t1405113110z1.png

Yes you can. Then you'll have the steam version AND the GOG DRM-free version and the goodies.

I believe if he's referring to an actual CD key like mine, from a physical copy, that it gives you the GOG version but not a steam version.

Unless you just mean he'll have both because he presumably bought it separately on Steam, or are referring to a steam key as opposed to a "CD key"

Grief.exe

I think the implication is that his actual laptop keyboard is the cause of the issues.

Oh yup you're right, I misread his post.

oh damn that sucks. You could try remapping the keys that don't work. The game gets so hardcore, I don't think I would survive one day if I tried to jump back in now.

Works like a dream using my mechanical board on my main computer, alt-F4 after a few in-game hours on my laptop.

I'm a fast Tyler and nothing frustrates me more than a broken keyboard. Never spilled anything or mistreated the laptop either, just faulty components.

Tizoc

Remember how I once said I'd block from future giveaways anyone who didn't get the Ys games on sale?
Well you fellows are lucky I'm too much of a nice guy
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana -- MB-102BC574341448A0
Ys I & II Chronicles Plus -- MB-DFC1B7FE9DDF5746
Ys Origin -- MB-23379AF818256627

t1405189130z1.png

Anteater

For me the only 'bad' Tomb Raider's are IV, V & IV and then it's only because IV and V felt like Core were recycling their ideas and really the only one I've thrown to the side was VI (Angel of Darkness) out of pure frustration with the controls, which for me were at an all time low with that one (though that game bizarrely does have it's fans). The Crystal Dynamics ones range from ok to really good. They do mess around with Lara's backstory (it's a bit hit and miss for some people and does change Lara's motivation for her reson to become an adventurer but I won't spoil it) but Christ it's been tinkered around with enough now anyway. Legend does have a lot of 'Blockbuster' QTEs but Anniversary has the Mansion training level back, and arguably better than ever (even if it's smaller than III's). Opinion is divided on Underworld, I found it had the right balance of puzzles, combat (much, much improved) and while there are still QTEs they have been toned down a fair bit. All three have a running plot but Anniversary goes before Legend but play Legend first so not to mess with the order of things.

At the price they are going for it's a steel if you like the old mix of puzzling, traversal and combat. As an added bonus for anyone with a 3D setup all 3 of Crystal Dynamics game work really well.

Just picked them all up! Yeah I'll probably go with Legend first

Copons

I got my combo with coffee, corndogs, and pretzels. I changed my keys so I didn't have to move my hand, and I started using the numpad to select orders. I tried dozens of times, going in with high buzz (so no empty moments) and restarting any time I made a mistake or got robbed. I mean, I had already 100%'d the game at this point, getting a good combo was just the cherry on top.

I actually should still complete NG+ (and its 4 stars achiev) plus I'm still missing 1 normal game achiev, still fuck I got the bug of the leaderboard and I just HAD to get in first page before moving on. :D
Just, after getting there I was completely spoiled and I dropped it. :(

Ah, for reference, my combo menu was corndogs, pretzels and non-upgraded salad instead of coffee, because I've always had problems with counting sugar and creamer.

I remember buying the valve complete pack from gmg for 20usd.

Pretty worth it I suppose, since I didn't have any of the valve games at the time.

I actually need just CSGO
and Ricochet!
, so I guess the complete pack is a little overkill. :D

I guess it would be 4-5 keys or maybe some russian benefactor. :)

Geez sounds a little too much compared to Summer Sale price. I guess I'll just wait for Christmas, it's not like I'm in some kind of rush :)

I believe if he's referring to an actual CD key like mine, from a physical copy, that it gives you the GOG version but not a steam version.

Unless you just mean he'll have both because he presumably bought it separately on Steam, or are referring to a steam key as opposed to a "CD key"

Either, the physical CD key should work but the CD key from steam (right-click and get CD key) will work as well to redeem on GOG. Its what I did to get the GOG bonus items.

SSPssp

Thanks guys for pointing out the Tomb Raider GMG sale. I picked up the collection since I have none of the games.

I hope the original games are still fun to play, I don't remember playing them (I might have rented the first one) so I hope they still hold up.

Thanks guys for pointing out the Tomb Raider GMG sale. I picked up the collection since I have none of the games.

I hope the original games are still fun to play, I don't remember playing them (I might have rented the first one) so I hope they still hold up.

The old games are fun if yoy don't mind the controls.

Works like a dream using my mechanical board on my main computer, alt-F4 after a few in-game hours on my laptop.

I'm a fast Tyler and nothing frustrates me more than a broken keyboard. Never spilled anything or mistreated the laptop either, just faulty components.

You should go by that now, "Fast Tyler"

pKSlqny.png

What is this?:
This is a time when SteamGAF can get together to play CS:GO. We will be playing casual matches, players from all skill levels are welcome!

When we are playing: Estimate Time
t1405117800z4.png
Hoping to join tonight, I've been having internet issues lately, keeps dropping all the time.

the older games havent aged well but they're still good for what they are

Lain

Ooooh. The Sun at Night! I almost backed that on kickstarter but it looked like it wasn't going to make the goal. That game looks good but the basis for it breaks my heart every time I think about it. :(

And some of the other games look really good too. Good batch, i think.

I agree. There's Timespinner too that got greenlit.

Caerith

Remember how I once said I'd block from future giveaways anyone who didn't get the Ys games on sale?
Well you fellows are lucky I'm too much of a nice guy
I'm just curious if you blocked anyone who didn't own Ys from your Ys giveaway.

I actually should still complete NG+ (and its 4 stars achiev) plus I'm still missing 1 normal game achiev, still fuck I got the bug of the leaderboard and I just HAD to get in first page before moving on. :D
Just, after getting there I was completely spoiled and I dropped it. :(

Ah, for reference, my combo menu was corndogs, pretzels and non-upgraded salad instead of coffee, because I've always had problems with counting sugar and creamer.

You don't actually need to be in NG+ to get the 4 star achievement. Still, for as much as you've played CSD, you should at least 100% it before moving on. (Sushi is good for the exotic foods pin-- no cook time.)

SSPssp

Anyone play the original two games recent. Would love to play them but I bet they lack modern day resolutions and controller support? Anybody know?

According to steamdb, the original two have no controller support, I don't know if there are any workarounds for that though.

The old games are fun if yoy don't mind the controls.

I guess I should have checked steamdb for controller support! But I don't mind KB/M that much and I played all the early Resident Evil games so I think I can get used to the "tank" controls.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
For the release of Greenlit titles.

Polarity isn't a bad game for anyone who enjoyed Q.U.B.E. , but wished it to be slightly bigger in scope and less magnetic puzzles.

Top Hat is enjoyable as a platformer with the old intent of "bit of everything" through the different worlds. It gets a big heavy handed with references, memes, and "Hey, get this? It's funny because games" a la DLC Quest, but I ignored them and still had fun with it as a platformer.
It's not challenging or going to feel like it's a wonderful title for the ages, but if cheap I feel it can be worth it if you want this type of old school platformer with a variety of abilities, but don't want the difficulty of Angry Video Game Nerd's game.

Rodina , universe full space exploration game and/or internal ship layout builder sim, depending on what you will spend more time on.
While it doesn't promise quite the scale of No Man's Sky, it does offer a taste of this idea and does so quite reasonable with enough to go out looking for, to find, and surprisingly even a story to be had through written dialogue found.
I recommend at least playing the demo at their website https://www.elliptic-games.com/store/

Building the Great Wall of China for casual strategy fans with or without an interest in ancient China.

Crater Maker, a new spiritual remake of the old DOS/Arcade classic Lunar Lander with a mission mode to add some variety, scenario if you want a sense of progression, and multiplayer should you wish to race... or run into your friend and die in the void of space.

Dark Storm as a stealth FPS or Third Person Shooter (options are nice) set in a cold land. It's nothing amazing and won't overthrow Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid, or the like, it shows quite a bit of promise and the team behind it has a lot of material they've created for it story wise they wish to make. It could be the start of something to be sure.
At worst, I expect it to be competent.

I don't know much about how the following will be, but I have hope for them.

The Sun at Night. . It's a game about Laika, the first dog into space. No idea about how well it will hold up, the gameplay looks a bit light to me and potentially frustrating by not having much challenge to it beyond frustration, but I still think it looks interesting enough and it's about Laika.
Whether you get the game or not, do buy Laika by Nick Abadzis, great book to read and experience.

Timespinner , an open world backtracking with new items to go around that could actually be a "Metroidvania" if it's done right. Looks nice, wonderful artwork, and shows off play style that they state is inspired by 16/32 bit Castlevanias and Mega Mans.

The Great War 1918 , a free mod for Company of Heroes that is what it says on the tin, the First World War. While not something I have personal interest in playing, it does fill a niche for the First World War some will have in the FPS market as this war has never really been big outside of flight sims and strategy titles before.

xeris

Ooooh. The Sun at Night! I almost backed that on kickstarter but it looked like it wasn't going to make the goal. That game looks good but the basis for it breaks my heart every time I think about it. :(

And some of the other games look really good too. Good batch, i think.

Nothing in this batch had been on my radar, but yeah there look to be a bunch of good ones. I probably have unrealistic hopes for Coffin Dodgers

milena87

I have Witcher 2 physical and it has a code for a GOG version that I haven't yet used, but I didn't realize it came with so many extras. Do you know what comic it includes?

It's a short story about Geralt and one of his adventures pre-event of The Witcher 1. I believe it is set during the timeline of the book Blood of Elves.

It's called Reasons of State.

Copons

You don't actually need to be in NG+ to get the 4 star achievement. Still, for as much as you've played CSD, you should at least 100% it before moving on. (Sushi is good for the exotic foods pin-- no cook time.)

Ah you're right abouth the 4 Stars achiev, I don't know why I assumed it was only for NG+ (maybe because it was added after the NG+ update?).

And you're right I should 100% it before moving on to ousting your ass from the leaderboard, so goodbye everyone I'm gonna cave in to CSD once again, see you in September or something.

It's a short story about Geralt and one of his adventures pre-event of The Witcher 1. I believe it is set during the timeline of the book Blood of Elves.

It's called Reasons of State.

Thanks, I'll have to get that when I get home. I'm looking forward to the graphic novels releasing later this year, and would really love to pick up the board game too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom