• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanokare

Watching you guys makes me want to try Comp again.

Marco needs better map awareness @ 36:40. :p

Came in like a ninjaball ! I just saw red on the map and shot where I thought he would be. Who would've expected ninjas.

I might upload the one we did on Rush again. It was a really really good match I believe. Gonna watch it in a few before I decide. We won't speak of the Cache one though :x

milena87

Thanks, I'll have to get that when I get home. I'm looking forward to the graphic novels releasing later this year, and would really love to pick up the board game too.

Wait. There are graphic novels coming out?! Let me check Book Depository.

edit: indeed there is at least one comic. And from Dark Horse. Interesting...

Dr Dogg

Out the latest Greenlight batch RPG Tycoon and Rampage Knights caught my eye.

RPG Tycoon is like a city management game where you manger your town and send adventures on quests. More like a sim heavy version of Recettear but the whole town and not just an item shop.

Rampage Knights at first looked like a 2D sidscroling hack and slash game like Golden Axe or more closely Castle Crashers (artstyle is very similar) but actually looks more like a slight 2D Gauntlet style game. Apparently it has randomly generated areas and dungeons and co-op to boot.

Just picked them all up! Yeah I'll probably go with Legend first

If you're a fan of gaming retrospective write ups at about the same time two British games writers, John Walker (RPS' John Walker) and Stuart Campbell (one of the Amiga power legends). Both had completely different views on the game. What makes it even more funny is they're both quite good mates and I think share a birthday.

Sky Chief

For me the only 'bad' Tomb Raider's are IV, V & VI and then it's only because IV and V felt like Core were recycling their ideas and really the only one I've thrown to the side was VI (Angel of Darkness) out of pure frustration with the controls, which for me were at an all time low with that one (though that game bizarrely does have it's fans). The Crystal Dynamics ones range from ok to really good. They do mess around with Lara's backstory (it's a bit hit and miss for some people and does change Lara's motivation for her reson to become an adventurer but I won't spoil it) but Christ it's been tinkered around with enough now anyway. Legend does have a lot of 'Blockbuster' QTEs but Anniversary has the Mansion training level back, and arguably better than ever (even if it's smaller than III's). Opinion is divided on Underworld, I found it had the right balance of puzzles, combat (much, much improved) and while there are still QTEs they have been toned down a fair bit. All three have a running plot but Anniversary goes before Legend but play Legend first so not to mess with the order of things.

At the price they are going for it's a steel if you like the old mix of puzzling, traversal and combat. As an added bonus for anyone with a 3D setup all 3 of Crystal Dynamics game work really well.

I bought Anniversary during the Summer Sale and have only played through the mansion so far but thought it was fantastic!

Are I, II, and II worth it or are they just too archaic to go back to now? I've heard the control schemes are pretty frustrating. Are there any mods to make them less so?

I think I am going to pick up Legend and Underworld for sure.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Rodina , universe full space exploration game and/or internal ship layout builder sim, depending on what you will spend more time on.
While it doesn't promise quite the scale of No Man's Sky, it does offer a taste of this idea and does so quite reasonable with enough to go out looking for, to find, and surprisingly even a story to be had through written dialogue found.
I recommend at least playing the demo at their website https://www.elliptic-games.com/store/

The Sun at Night. . It's a game about Laika, the first dog into space. No idea about how well it will hold up, the gameplay looks a bit light to me and potentially frustrating by not having much challenge to it beyond frustration, but I still think it looks interesting enough and it's about Laika.
Whether you get the game or not, do buy Laika by Nick Abadzis, great book to read and experience.

I'm sold.

Erik: Like a mongrel dog from the street of Moscow, it was the first animal to ever return. She was launched into outer space on the third of November, nineteen fifty seven. Scientists believed humans would be unable to survive the conditions of outer space. So flights by animals refute as experiments precursory to human submissions. A rocket was not designed to be retrievable and like it has always been, it returned to die.

Salsa

bday gift from Shadownet (not my brthday yet just in case) was the chosen one

tdL4VPR.png

TK61THA.png

couldnt have been a cooler game so thanks!

Dr Dogg

I bought Anniversary during the Summer Sale and have only played through the mansion so far but thought it was fantastic!

Are I, II, and II worth it or are they just too archaic to go back to now? I've heard the control schemes are pretty frustrating. Are there any mods to make them less so?

I think I am going to pick up Legend and Underworld for sure.

I haven't played I, II or III in a very, very long time on PC so I wouldn't really be able to comment but for me it always took a bit of warming up to get used to the controls when the games were fresh.

There was a thread here a month ago talking about the 'classic' games. Well the OP's definition of classic but the thread did talk about the earlier titles.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=813064

Came in like a ninjaball ! I just saw red on the map and shot where I thought he would be. Who would've expected ninjas.

I might upload the one we did on Rush again. It was a really really good match I believe. Gonna watch it in a few before I decide. We won't speak of the Cache one though :x

When do you guys normally play? I'd love to play with you guys the next time you do comp.

Less than an hour left!

OK gang, I realize that this game might not be "Finnish" but thanks to your friendly local neighborhood DunderHassan I was able to snag a copy for myself and one for my SteamBros. Good luck to all!

ModBot said:
Instructions for MakeshiftChef:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MakeshiftChef, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sunless Sea -- MB-32C3A5CEA4CA934A - Taken by UncleBiz. 56 entrants total.

t1405107350z1.png

saunderez

I just finished Ether One after buying it on recommendation of someone in this thread (sorry totally spacing out on who it was). Excellent game, very touching, there's not much more to be said than what was in the impressions already given but I'm definitely adding my +1 to it.

SSPssp

I just tried to play Tomb Raider 1 and its pretty tough to get used to the controls. All keyboard, no mouse, and I can't reassign movement to WASD. The controls themselves are fine if I could reassign things but I'm going to have to get a fix somewhere to actually play these old games.

I hope pinnacle profiler goes on sale again.

Edit: It recognized my controller (xbox) and it works! :) But the game crashed while I was assigning buttons. :( Will try again later.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I just finished Ether One after buying it on recommendation of someone in this thread (sorry totally spacing out on who it was). Excellent game, very touching, there's not much more to be said than what was in the impressions already given but I'm definitely adding my +1 to it.

Glad you took the plunge. Beautiful little title that deserves far more attention than it got on launch.

Speevy

Banned
What if early access games are like the reality shows of steam, and eventually crowded out everything else?

Just a bunch of naked character models running around at erratic framerates, building space stations and swinging rocks at each other.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

There's another one?

what...what the fuck...

jeggyx.png

uxiqsq.png

nyloul.png

What, it's just Mono's own original character, Rhanknar. It's sort of like zyklon.

a little more of Trails teasing

By this week, they actually mean three months from now. Remember, this is XSEED time we're talking about :p

there... sigh

Welp, see you next friday guys

like I can leave gaf :(
image.php

YW4NPMI.jpg

The current Indie Royale just dropped to 2,19€ for two hours
http://www.indieroyale.com/

Didn't buy before, won't buy now since I already have the games I want from that. But that's a pretty scumbag thing to do to earlier buyers. If this is going to become standard for the site, I'll just not buy right away like I normally do and wait for something like this, or just forget about it entirely.

CZm3sbp.png
CZm3sbp.png
CZm3sbp.png

Ask Rhanknar.

CZm3sbp.png
CZm3sbp.png
CZm3sbp.png

I3lVbc2.gif

Daily Deals from the Humble Store

I'd say that's a decent price for the game if you only play through it once.

I noticed on my computer that the Steam Overlay is slow as hell.
Is it the case for you or anyone else who has played it?

dot mentioned something about that, yeah. Or at least it took a while to actually work :p

Also for DLC we can sell different Artstyles
70s Yandere
80s Yandere
90s Yandere
2000 Yandere
Future Yandere
Medieval Yandere
Fantasy Yandere
Beast Yandere
Yandere Yandere Bundle which includes all DLC.

I Thought It’d Be Harem Paradise But It Turned Out Yandere Hell

It's Greenlight-time!

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=283183175

....I've heard of Spud's Quest.

I'll just make a different post after I look through this.

I see there's something for most of the posters in here:

V0tK1RR.jpg

Just kidding, this one has actual gameplay. I don't like visual novels, they aren't real games. :p

giphy.gif

Who's ready for some...Blue Rose?!

C3103F8F893FF259C09BFAF0340AE1B3DC4964F0

also Midora got greenlit, cool.

Yes to both Blue Rose and Midora :D

I agree. There's Timespinner too that got greenlit.

db8RTEJ.gif

The Sun at Night. . It's a game about Laika, the first dog into space. No idea about how well it will hold up, the gameplay looks a bit light to me and potentially frustrating by not having much challenge to it beyond frustration, but I still think it looks interesting enough and it's about Laika.
Whether you get the game or not, do buy Laika by Nick Abadzis, great book to read and experience.

I bought one of the more recent bundles that game was in, excellent.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't see it posted, so I'll mention it here.

Soul Gambler keys are now available through IndieGameStand if you bought it from there.

Indie Gala keys for the most recent bundle featuring the game are not yet available but should be shortly.

Speaking of which, that bundle is still available for purchase here. It's $1, and is supposedly Soul Gambler: Dark Arts Edition, which costs $6.29 on the Steam store. The IndieGameStand key is also a Dark Arts Edition key.

Anustart

How do I get this sleeping dogs hd textures dlc? On the store it just says play game and not download... And in game it says needs to be downloaded to be used. HOW I GET IT

Edit: Apparently it's downloading? Maybe. Downloading 4gb of something.

liezryou

Soul Gambler keys are now available through IndieGameStand if you bought it from there.

Indie Gala keys for the most recent bundle featuring the game are not yet available but should be shortly.

Speaking of which, that bundle is still available for purchase here. It's $1, and is supposedly Soul Gambler: Dark Arts Edition, which costs $6.29 on the Steam store. The IndieGameStand key is also a Dark Arts Edition key.

This bundle is really tempting for 1$, but theres a good chance i will forget all about the steam keys and they will end up never being redeemed (when they come out).

Lomax

What if early access games are like the reality shows of steam, and eventually crowded out everything else?

Just a bunch of naked character models running around at erratic framerates, building space stations and swinging rocks at each other.

I think the difference is, Early Access and Kickstarter create a means for games that otherwise would not get made or finished due to lack of funding. The "normal" game market still exists largely unaffected. I think the comparison is more the idea of lots of TV channels, has the existence of 100s of extra channels diluted the market? Sure. But large mainstream television continues to exist and succeed.

Reality TV took over largely because it doesn't require writers and it can be made for a fraction of the cost. I just don't see the same thing in the game market unless suddenly 90% of games are made with Minecraft level graphics or RPG maker.
Oh wait...

For the release of Greenlit titles.

Rodina , universe full space exploration game and/or internal ship layout builder sim, depending on what you will spend more time on.
While it doesn't promise quite the scale of No Man's Sky, it does offer a taste of this idea and does so quite reasonable with enough to go out looking for, to find, and surprisingly even a story to be had through written dialogue found.
I recommend at least playing the demo at their website https://www.elliptic-games.com/store/

Dark Storm as a stealth FPS or Third Person Shooter (options are nice) set in a cold land. It's nothing amazing and won't overthrow Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid, or the like, it shows quite a bit of promise and the team behind it has a lot of material they've created for it story wise they wish to make. It could be the start of something to be sure.
At worst, I expect it to be competent.
These look just up my alley. Thanks for putting some light on these games KenOD!
You're doing really good job with your summaries.
Also, I never thanked you and Toma for your great suggestions in the Indie Steam Sale thread. Was so busy. I really took your recommendations to heart. And Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator actually was very close to what I was searching. You are a treasure trove of games knowledge!

Tizoc

Thanks for theheads up just redeemed my Steam key =D

Gonna make a giveaway fo the Desura key some time later.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, Midora passed Greenlight. How is this possible? Nintendo, are you here?

Do we have to go over this again? They're not the same assets that Minish Cap uses. They are similar, but they're not the same. Right, just ignore my post then.

*Pork will remember that*

Attractio
- Build a Greenlight Bundle 7
- IndieGameStand

Data Hacker: Initiation
- Indie Gala Greenlight Bundle 3 *** currently available***
- The Debut 13 Bundle (Indie Royale)

Isomer
- The Mixer 4 Bundle (Indie Royale)

Bionic Heart
- Indie Gala Every Monday - B8
- Winter Wolves Manga Game Bundle (Groupees)

Blue Rose
- Indie Gala Every Monday - B9
- The Debut 15 Bundle

Looks like buying Greenlight bundles is paying off. Hope some of those have cards.

Though I know I'll regret buying Bionic Heart because it's a Winter Wolves game.

It's basically a joke at this point, compounded only by the fact that Valve refuses to even answer questions about it. If they said "Half-Life 3 and/or Half-Life 2 Episode 3 isn't happening," that would be the end of it.

From what we can ascertain from various cryptic comments over the years, they've been working on it in a very limited preproduction capacity for a while now, but actual progress has been stunted by large scale rewrites and most of the staff being distracted by/more interested in things like Dota. We do know for a fact that Source 2 is being worked on, and we've gotten purported leaks of not only code comments referring to left 4 dead 3 but screenshots of an early alpha build. Based on this and comments from valve about wanting to make less "isolated singleplayer experiences", I'd make a bet that we could see them both released in an orange box type compilation within 18ish months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom