• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Happy b'day Dusk

And yep now with all the C,S,D! talk I'm putting my Shovel down for the evening. Just realised I don't have any of my old save games on this machine though.
62fx62f

The stage progression on Abyss Odyssey seems to be like Binding of Isaac... You keep your abilities and levels but if you die or quit the game you will have to start over. If it is well balanced and you can get the needed abilities in a decent amount of time I guess I'm okay with it but it can be a pain in the ass at the beginning.

Doesn't ruin the game for me but some noobs might get frustrated by it.

Oh, it's a roguelike / has permadeath?

I'm okay if so since it sounds relatively short.

I hope there's at least a "Save & Quit" for your attempts though.

Lomax

The stage progression on Abyss Odyssey seems to be like Binding of Isaac... You keep your abilities and levels but if you die or quit the game you will have to start over. If it is well balanced and you can get the needed abilities in a decent amount of time I guess I'm okay with it but it can be a pain in the ass at the beginning.

Doesn't ruin the game for me but some noobs might get frustrated by it.

7fa6b0be9d5614e6e8aa57089f47c718ec462a462188bb1b058a1456cfd02d12.jpg

I love the progression in BoI and Rogue Legacy, always kept me playing.

Honestly I have three fears keeping me from buying it right now:

1) I loved the ideas and art of both Zeno Clash and Rock of Ages, and both didn't click with me.
2) Procedural platforming doesn't work well unless it's very modular, and I can't tell how this is designed.
3) All of their games have been heavily discounted and bundled within a fairly short time after release.

Copons

See, you shouldn't have mentioned that the other night :p

Yo mean like, 2 hours ago? :D

BTW to get this result I was like in machine mode. Not a breath, not a blink. Only mashing buttons, eyes stuck on the lower side of the screen for the recipes.
Shit I almost choked to death while my eyes where burning dry.

Chubigans, would you please tell me some kind of Konami code to get to the top of that leaderboard before I'll commit suicide or something? :D

lol he told us not to play! Now I wanna catch up and top it too now that I own CSD also :D

Kids nowadays, with no respect for the elders.

Well, at least your combo is 293 points higher than chubigans' best?

Well but he's totally the worst CSD player ever, I wouldn't count him for any serious leaderboard!
:'(

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Oh, it's a roguelike / has permadeath?

I'm okay if so since it sounds relatively short.

I hope there's at least a "Save & Quit" for your attempts though.

The thing is from the OT there seems to be no save and quit for stage progression. The devs said people who are experienced enough with the game should be able to beat it in 1 hour or so which I imagine might be through the hard rooms which is the shorter route to the end. Overall I'm liking the concept but I can see it being frustrating to some. Its not 100% Perma as you keep character progress but it does affect the stage progress.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I recently learned a game I fell in love with several years back is on Steam and it's one I quite recommend.

Marauder , a Tactical game with RPG levelling up system, set in an alternative history where the old Soviet world in a state of anarchy (no rule) and only the strong and prepared will survive.

With limited resources (weapons, ammo, explosives, etc) one must carefully and strategically plan out and execute how to survive in the streets or buildings, but as the saying go "a plan is the first thing thrown out in war" and one must adapt. Plenty of variety and ways to take out the enemy and I found myself playing through missions more than once to see if I could do better or use less ammo. Setting up traps and killzones (e.g. let your enemy walk into a street as you and your squad shoot at them from the high ground in buildings) was rather satisfying.
Learn the types of enemies, figure out how to take advantage of the terrain, buildings, and locations that will offer the best protection for you.

As resources are limited you must procure items such as bullets, scavenge through the map as you run from or plan out attacks, and raid your enemies (their bodies or their bases) to ensure you have what you need to survive.

As a RPG, the build does matter. You can't be a catch-all that attempts to be a jack of all trade, focus on a design or build. It's "modern" combat, so learn how best to be the type of fighter you need to be. Assault riffle, sniper rifle, Rambo (I don't recommend this one), what have you, play accordingly.

A surprisingly well written story that has brought forth comparisons to the classic Fallout games, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and Commander series, made all that much stronger by what you yourself can put into as you play a normal human whose life can be taken out rather easily as he fights to survive and improve his chances.

While a complete game, it does have some technical issues such as the occasional enemy walking through a wall (rarely), missing textures (not always noticeable in a ruined city), and a weird pause after two sound files overlap when they shouldn't. Nothing that hurts the game.
Warning, this is an older game designed for Windows Xp, so run in compatibility mode. I haven't heard of any troubles for those running Windows Vista/7, but I know some builds of 8 have an issue with it due to color scheme, which if that happens to you there is a fix online somewhere.

Suggestion before you play is to go through the options. Mouse sensitivity and sound especially.

The thing is from the OT there seems to be no save and quit for stage progression. The devs said people who are experienced enough with the game should be able to beat it in 1 hour or so which I imagine might be through the hard rooms which is the shorter route to the end. Overall I'm liking the concept but I can see it being frustrating to some. Its not 100% Perma as you keep character progress but it does affect the stage progress.

Hrmm. I don't have a problem with that difficulty-wise, but as far as being convenient for play sessions. I see no good reason they can't have an FTL-style "Save & Quit"

Aaron D.

I recently learned a game I fell in love with several years back is on Steam and it's one I quite recommend.

Marauder , a Tactical game with RPG levelling up system, set in an alternative history where the old Soviet world in a state of anarchy (no rule) and only the strong and prepared will survive.

Thanks for the impressions.

Boughten.

Jawmuncher

With limited resources (weapons, ammo, explosives, etc) one must carefully and strategically plan out and execute how to survive in the streets or buildings, but as the saying go "a plan is the first thing thrown out in war" and one must adapt. Plenty of variety and ways to take out the enemy and I found myself playing through missions more than once to see if I could do better or use less ammo. Setting up traps and killzones (e.g. let your enemy walk into a street as you and your squad shoot at them from the high ground in buildings) was rather satisfying.
Learn the types of enemies, figure out how to take advantage of the terrain, buildings, and locations that will offer the best protection for you.

As resources are limited you must procure items such as bullets, scavenge through the map as you run from or plan out attacks, and raid your enemies (their bodies or their bases) to ensure you have what you need to survive.

As a RPG, the build does matter. You can't be a catch-all that attempts to be a jack of all trade, focus on a design or build. It's "modern" combat, so learn how best to be the type of fighter you need to be. Assault riffle, sniper rifle, Rambo (I don't recommend this one), what have you, play accordingly.

A surprisingly well written story that has brought forth comparisons to the classic Fallout games, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and Commander series, made all that much stronger by what you yourself can put into as you play a normal human whose life can be taken out rather easily as he fights to survive and improve his chances.

While a complete game, it does have some technical issues such as the occasional enemy walking through a wall (rarely), missing textures (not always noticeable in a ruined city), and a weird pause after two sound files overlap when they shouldn't. Nothing that hurts the game.
Warning, this is an older game designed for Windows Xp, so run in compatibility mode. I haven't heard of any troubles for those running Windows Vista/7, but I know some builds of 8 have an issue with it due to color scheme, which if that happens to you there is a fix online somewhere.

Suggestion before you play is to go through the options. Mouse sensitivity and sound especially.

Does look pretty cool.
Going to add to my wishlist for later.

L.O.R.D

ok , so
the one who got the key for this game is already have it
so, this game for anyone who get first

Time Gentlemen Please: KE0I8-4CIV5-Q3LIA

Enco

Just finished Wolfenstein The New Order. 9 hours.

Might be a bit early and I can't remember what else I played this year but this is my GOTY.

The ending wasn't as bad as I heard. I loved it.

So good. The graphics were jaw dropping in certain scenes.

Good
- The music
- The stealth
- The story
- The feel of the guns
- The atmosphere
- The badass feel when you take out a load of people
- The style of graphics
- The refreshing nature of the game. This is a huge point. Didn't feel like shooter #2,993. No backtracking, no stupid puzzles, no bullet sponge enemies
- The smart AI
- The varied levels and locations are fun and exciting

Bad
- The slow as fuck loading
- Pop in when you spin around quickly
- More undercover stuff would be nice

I feel like I'm being paid to say that but I was impressed. A pretty picture:

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Man, maybe I should just bite the bullet and play the German version of Wolfenstein since everybody seems to love this game.

Khronico

Marauder , a Tactical game with RPG levelling up system, set in an alternative history where the old Soviet world in a state of anarchy (no rule) and only the strong and prepared will survive....

Thanks for the info, I saw it before and wishlisted it but this is the incentive to actually make a purchase. Comparisons to Stalker are words that move a game from 'maybe' to 'YES YES YES'.

Enco

Man, maybe I should just bite the bullet and play the German version of Wolfenstein since everybody seems to love this game.
Came out of nowhere for me. Saw the GAF thread and that got me interested. The first 10-15 minutes seemed average but the game ramped up at a certain scene and I've been gripped since. I rarely finish games and never this fast.

Well, it's taken me about 3 hours to do the first section, soooo...
I think I finished it faster than average. I don't care about collectibles or anything though. Not sure how you could go too much slower since it's fairly linear though.

Turfster

I think I finished it faster than average. I don't care about collectibles or anything though. Not sure how you could go too much slower since it's fairly linear though.

Well, I mainly have to pause every like, 15 minutes to rest my arm, so it shouldn't really be taken as an indicator ;)

dot

Came out of nowhere for me. Saw the GAF thread and that got me interested. The first 10-15 minutes seemed average but the game ramped up at a certain scene and I've been gripped since. I rarely finish games and never this fast.

So out of the 9001 3000+ games you have available to you, what are you planning on playing next? :)

Thanks, never heard of this but it looks interesting. Like an old walking shmup.

Ohh yeah, this looks fun. I generally suck at shmups because they are too fast for my old reflexes by if the enemies are stationary like space invaders it's all good.

Enco

So out of the 9001 3000+ games you have available to you, what are you planning on playing next? :)
Good question haha

I'm thinking South Park. Won't be going at this rate though. Like I said before, I'm never this fast. Gonna be slow going.

P.s. It's more like 2,700 being available :p

UncleBiz

so after hearing a lot of people saying how great spec ops: the line is, i tried it out since it was in the 2k humble bundle.. and i gotta say, i am falling asleep playing it. i can sorta see why people say the story is good, i guess, but after 2 hours of literally just shooting, i can't play it anymore. does the story really get that great? i feel like it would be better as a movie, not a game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom