• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I shall catch up on the show then!

Changing the subject. Which PC games not on Steam would you like to see on Steam? Personally I want Chaos Legion, Billy Hatcher, The Suffering games, Psi-Ops, Second Sight, Outrun 2, Blur and some others i cant remember right now.

Day 1 for those if WB stops being lazy.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Were-wolfs and Wizards:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kagemusha, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.

Wizardry 6 & 7 -- MB-2EF0ADA61E189C45 - Taken by diablogod
Sang Froid -- MB-B3C981B7A6DC8F8D - Taken by Sarobi

What problems are you having?

What exactly is the best time to strike him? I'm being aggressive and trying to hit him after he throws his second set of knives but the success rate is about 50%. I'm finding it difficult to find any other openings to hit him without taking a big chance of getting countered.

dot

Changing the subject. Which PC games not on Steam would you like to see on Steam? Personally I want Chaos Legion, Billy Hatcher, The Suffering games, Psi-Ops, Second Sight, Outrun 2, Blur and some others i cant remember right now.

I would like the old Resident Evil games, Dino Crisis 1 + 2, and the old Megaman games.

Pretty much every capcom game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Thanks for the great list.

Can you please tell me five or ten games from that list that really stand out or are must plays?

Good question, now if I had must plays in a general sense and not from specific tastes, and there's some here I'm very fond of but I wouldn't say are for everybody. So with that in mind, hmn...

header_292x136.jpg

Resident Evil 4 is probably the easiest to mention as its legitimately a great game that everyone should experience. The PC version has also come to be the ultimate version of the game as well.

header_292x136.jpg

Condemned: Criminal Origins has some problems, but is probably one of the best horror games to have released in the last 10 years. I like the second half better than the first path, but a good game.

header_292x136.jpg

Not everyone will love Deadly Premonition, it has flaws up the wazoo, but is also quite an experience, and I'd say a game you at least have to try to see if you love it or hate it. Know that the game gets better after the beginning prologue section.

header_292x136.jpg

Kentucky Route Zero has received mainstream notice and received awards. Its episodic, with 3 of 5 episodes released right now. Very surreal, and really an experience. It's kind of artsy, but enjoyable, and guess I would say checking it out to see what everyone's talking about with the game.

header_292x136.jpg

Killing Floor is THE best arena-based game I've ever played, very fun and really a must-own Steam title I feel.

header_292x136.jpg

Lone Survivor is one of my favorite 2D horror games, unique for what it is and a quaint experience, also now available on PS3 and Vita.

header_292x136.jpg

Like, everyone has Left 4 Dead 2. You should have it too. It's one of the staples of Steam co-op gaming.

Now, that would be what I would say to the general public... However, here are a few personal favorites that are a bit more required taste, but I think are just excellent;

header_292x136.jpg

Love it/hate it game, but I love it.

header_292x136.jpg

Great little experience, maybe over-priced right now for length, but it is a quality horror experience with fantastic audio design, some of the best I've heard in ages.

header_292x136.jpg

My personal favorite Lovecraft game of all time.

header_292x136.jpg

Excellent story, mood, honestly an all-around great adventure game.

capsule_467x181.jpg

It's no longer on Steam, its optimization is shit, but it was actually pretty good, some issues, but had a good story, scares, loved the fact there's hardly any music but great audio design, and some freaky parts in the middle.

header_292x136.jpg

I think Dead Space 1 has better 'scares' (though they were never super effective on me), but think Dead Space 2 is a lot more fun, and a very fun game in general, even if more action-oriented.

header_292x136.jpg

Fantastic story, classical-styled music pieces, matched with a growing sense of unease and the strange to make quite an adventure horror game.

header_292x136.jpg

It created a sub-genre and is pretty fun and stylistic, and deserves a mention definitely.

header_292x136.jpg

A lot find it scarier than I do, I did find it scary especially at the start though. A great grindhouse horror game about being stalked by crazed, naked men.

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Resident Evil 5 and 6 get a lot of slack, but they are excellent co-op games. If you have a friend to play it, they can be fantastic fun.

header_292x136.jpg

A bit slow to start, but really gets under your skin and becomes really fascinating.

header_292x136.jpg

My personal favorite Slender game, basically found-footage horror the game.

header_292x136.jpg

Interesting story and characters will keep you gripped, and the illusion of choice is fun.

header_292x136.jpg

Quite the experience.

---

The others have more flaws I would say, but have more talent and interesting elements to make them more required taste, but in their own way unique horror games that some may find incredible appeal in.

Nabs

What exactly is the best time to strike him? I'm being aggressive and trying to hit him after he throws his second set of knives but the success rate is about 50%. I'm finding it difficult to find any other openings to hit him without taking a big chance of getting countered.

You'll have a small window after he does his charge move.

Dusk Golem

I forgot about the music and sounds in Anodyne! I thought they were excellent as well, and really added to the creepy, dismal, dream-like atmosphere. I rather liked the obvious Yume Nikki / Zelda inspiration and references it showed, they more than anything, they just made me want to play one of those games rather than Anodyne.

I suppose if you're looking for a cross between the two, Anodyne is perfect!

Ugh, the card collecting in that game is very tedious.

Yup, I thought the audio department was one of the game's strongest areas as well. I might view it differently as I've played a loto f games and love new experiences, so maybe my mindset if off-putted. For example, I have played a lot of Yume Nikki clone games and fan games. I thought this was a better inspiration game as its not a direct clone. I would say it's not quite as good as either, but has its own unique elements and a fun play in its own right. And yes, card collecting was easily the worst part. It's find for an optional thing and I explored the game and got most already, but how it becomes required at the end is really bullshitty. Reminds me of the Triforce quest in Wind Waker.

Never played it. Just from early impression videos, total biscuit I think.
But yeah, was a long time ago. Will look for a deal/sale.

I can say it apparently has updated a lot in the last year from what I can tell, and I found it fun.

---

Also, got Alice: Madness Returns. Giving it to a friend, but thank you very much!

73V3N

Banned

Pharaoh and some Megaman games

(will probably never happen :'( )

dot

Can we get a rule to allow lurkers only?

What? You mean like for modbot?

I think the closest to that is Juniors only...

Resident Evil 1,2, and 3 did as well.
Capcom doesn't know wth to do with that though.

DC1 - DC,PSX,PC
DC2 - PSX, PC

I was only gone for a little bit.

How funny that you pop up right after me posting that.

Huh....so they do have pc versions. Capcom????

~Kinggi~

Banned
You know i cant be certain but it seems as if my steam game count dropped by 6? It wasnt because of the freebie games they add either. Im at the point where i dont have any idea what games i actually own. Is there a way to export a list or something? I would never potentially know if a game disappeared from my library until i wanted to play it.

Enjoy :) It's not much, but I'm tight on cash. This includes Bioshock, Darkness II, and The Bureau.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Bel_Air_Jeff:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Bel_Air_Jeff, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Humble 2K Bundle Tier 1 -- MB-C53FD7193EA4B6AE - Taken by pupo. 5 entrants total.

t1405129016z1.png

iosefe

You know i cant be certain but it seems as if my steam game count dropped by 6? It wasnt because of the freebie games they add either. Im at the point where i dont have any idea what games i actually own. Is there a way to export a list or something? I would never potentially know if a game disappeared from my library until i wanted to play it.

duplicates for incompatible systems are gone

Jawmuncher

What? You mean like for modbot?

I think the closest to that is Juniors only...

How funny that you pop up right after me posting that.

Huh....so they do have pc versions. Capcom????

Yeah those two series are some of the oddest omissions from steam.
Especially Resident Evil which had PC ports in Japan for even newer operating systems awhile back.

Lain

Also for a birthday mention, here's almost every horror game on Steam I have enjoyed and played, and a brief thought on it. Before you ask, there's a few obvious missing titles, like the Penumbra and Amnesia games, that's cause like to split my horror diet between obscure and mainstream and haven't played all enough yet, so spread out playing.

Alphabetical order.

[...]horrificallylonglist[...]

There be some I missed, but yai.

Happy Birthday!
I'm not big on horror games, I only like few of them, but I like seeing and reading your reviews about many of them and that lists mentions some that I'd like to give a try.

Jawmuncher

Omg, I just realized DMC3 is on Steam. Has it always been there?!

Yes.
The port is decent enough. But it's not as good as the DMC4 port.
Still for DMC3 if you can you're better off with the HD collection on PS3.
Unless you want to try that mod that allows you to switch styles on the fly.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/13860/

Whatever that is it was important enough to warrant a quick fix.

Some sort of overflow vulnerability:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/40995

Yes.
The port is decent enough. But it's not as good as the DMC4 port.
Still for DMC3 if you can you're better off with the HD collection on PS3.
Unless you want to try that mod that allows you to switch styles on the fly.

Still requires a PS3... so yeah... no. :p

You'll have a small window after he does his charge move.

Thanks, attacking after his spear charge made it much easier. Was still getting hit every now and then from his counter attacks with his sword after going in but managed to pull it off after 2-3 attempts. Was only at 10 health though when I got him O_O

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

The bolded in there and:

Lego Racers 1&2. Actually just throw all of the old, pre Travelers Tales Lego games on Steam.

Oregon Trail, the older versions not the new garbage one, on Steam would be great.

The Dark Seed games because why not.

Phantasmagoria games because they're so bad they're actually good.

The MGS PC games, fix them and put them on Steam.

The Thing, I'd love to play this one.

Some creepy Japanese games we shouldn't really talk about, i.e. Yume Miru Kusuri.

Nabs

Thanks, attacking after his spear charge made it much easier. Was still getting hit every now and then from his counter attacks with his sword after going in but managed to pull it off after 2-3 attempts. Was only at 10 health though when I got him O_O

Woohoo!

FauX

Here's almost every horror game on Steam I have enjoyed and played, and a brief thought on it.

OMG, Thanks for this extensive review of horror games. That's a very exquisite job. I guess I will pick some of your recommendations.

Besides Call of Cthulu, which other two games should I pick to play?

Dusk Golem

OMG, Thanks for this extensive review of horror games. That's a very exquisite job. I guess I will pick some of your recommendations.

Besides Call of Cthulu, which other two games should I pick to play?

What sort of horror games do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom