• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

I remember playing Codename 47 when it released and getting stuck at the third (?) level. There was a restaurant at a corner and I smuggled a gun in the toilet beforehand but I never could get in when my target arrived. No saving was also painful.
But I loved the game. You could do everything the way you wanted, the clothes-changing and the ragdoll-physics were a blast (but looked pretty brutal to me back then).
Always hear folks clamoring on Blood Money. Is it worth for someone who liked 47 but a bit easier/in mission saves?

Thanks for your help.

I can't remember what Silent Assassin had as the save system but I really like the difficulty options in Blood Money. Rookie allows unlimited saving with dumb AI and lots of health, Normal gives you 7 with AI and health more balanced, Expert is 3 saves max and AI will be more alert to you as well as lower health and some Agency help items removed. But Professional is the mark of a champ. No saves, brutal AI, getting caught in conflict unprepared can finish you off in seconds, and minimal mini map markers.

I think SA and Contracts have similar systems but the number of saves might be different. Absolution added mission checkpoints to the difficulty scheme which kind of killed the challenge unless you played on the highest level of Professional. I think I got the Platinum trophy for that in 2 evenings.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Her head seems so disturbingly huge there. >_<

Her head is the thing that's disturbingly huge there?

image.php

We need more nakige on Steam! If 18+ is already okay to Valve, why isn't Katawa Shoujo on yet?

Maybe a more official announcement with a proper identification and age gating system is still in the works.

A Steam version of Katawa Shoujo exists in the same reality that Katawa Shoujo 2 exists
;_;

played about 1 hour of Claire, the recently released 2d horror game, here's some initial thoughts for those that care:

This game sounds pretty good, really glad that it's as good as I hoped it would be.

I think I'll be forced to pick this up for Labyrinthine Dreams. It's not as big of a discount as I would have liked, but fuck it.

edit: noone took sweet lily dreams really? its quite recent. did the pony scare you lol

Pretty sure that's a cat. An oddly drawn cat, but it's still a cat.

STEAMGAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I graduated. Have the official title of engineer. Software engineer! You will address me as such. Naw, I'm 13 in a dozen. Anyway, time to catch up on some Steam and gaming.

welcome to our flock.

You are not a unique snowflake.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I just had an idea for mystery giveaways, why not use some sort of tag when registering it instead of saying the game was named Mystery Game?

Something like: ??? Divinity - key, modbot converts it to Mystery Game when it detects the ???, and when it's claimed it shows it was Divinity.

This would be nice because some of us would like to know what the Mystery game was.

Don't know if it would be possible with ModBot or too complicated, but think about it Stump
I think it's been suggested, but it's a good idea. Another way of doing it is to have the mystery option being like the raffle and nowinnersdaily rules, just add the word mystery or mysterygame on a separate line to trigger it.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Just noticed that the link for Ice Cream Surfer for the latest Indie Gala bundle's keys section links to Combat Cats.

Well, that's never going to make it through Greenlight.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Some baby reviews for recent completed games from the last two months (all recent releases):

I'm still not really sure what the actual gameplay is in this game. Most of the time you are just walking around picking up collectables. None of your ghost abilities are particularly cool or used in interesting manners. The combat/stealth is rarely used and thank goodness because it's extremely poorly implemented. Being detected feels unfair and hiding is just frustrating. It also looks stupid in terms of visuals. Salem is a pretty neat place to explore though and the individual locations have a nice amount of detail put into them. I also liked the stories of the the ghosts you encounter along the way. They are usually pretty sad, as death tends to be, but it's nice helping people find closure. I would have liked more of that. The narrative is a bit corny, but it was interesting enough. The ending is mega cheesy though. It's also hard to take the main character serious when he looks like someone you would find posting on a web forum discussing the finer points how to let people know you are an atheist and treating ladies like a gentleman.

Overall: This game is pretty messy. Sort of interesting messy, but not interesting enough to buy for any serious amount of money. I'm not surprised in the slightest it bombed.

I knew what I was getting into with this game, but it's still really sad after Activision gutted High Moon. The new devs (Edge of Reality, Loadout) wisely use the gameplay framework from High Moon, but failed in pretty much every other department. It doesn't use the license well, the level design is just sad, the art direction is pathetic, and there are almost no worthwhile setpieces. War and Fall were really special games that I cherish my experiences with and they completely nailed all of those categories. The worst parts of Rise of the Dark Spark is definitely everything on earth. It doesn't tie into the movie at all other than character overlap and the visual direction required for an earth environment is clearly well beyond Edge of Reality's ability. At least on Cybertron they could crudely paste the High Moon assets together. There was one good level in the whole mess that was basically Descent with Transformers, but it was over far too quickly. I also had a bit of fun working on achievements in the horde mode, but it got old after a couple of hours.

Overall: I wouldn't recommend this game even if you were madly in love with the Transformers franchise. I am filled with sadness knowing I will never get the finish to the Cybertron series that I deserve.

If the next Sniper Elite game doesn't just shove a damn silencer on your sniper rifle history-be-damned or move to a time period when the use of them was common, I might face palm out of existence. I mean, making a stealth sniping game where your primary tool that defines your role in the game is completely counter-intuitive to the actual approach a sane sniper would take when faced with an area filled with 50+ enemies just seem unbelievably stupid. And no, environmental noises are just a ridiculous solution to the problem and in the back half of the game the developers become increasingly stingy with them, pretty much forcing abuse of the silenced pistol or Rambo gameplay. That said, the game is a massive improvement over V2. The levels are large and have tons of routes to take including ones that sometimes avoid enemies all-together. Stealth systems have been improved from the awful near-binary setup from V2 (being spotted instantly from 100 meters away wasn't fun). The AI is fun to abuse and I managed to complete around half the levels of the game without ever being seen. The minimap also helps a lot in this regard. The engine has received some nice upgrades such as tessellation and bokeh depth of field. The art direction is pretty strong too, but I was pretty sick of the desert by the end. There is only so much you can do with time of day settings apparently ha.

Overall: While a solid improvement over V2 in pretty much every category, the developers still have some frustrating issues they need to work out as the series moves forward. I recommend checking it out if you saw the potential in V2 and in particular it's DLC. If you can access it via family sharing and are interested, just play the first 3 levels. You will have seen the best the game has to offer.

I know a lot of people have written their thoughts about this game recently so I'll keep mine short. I loved the approach they took for a World War I game. They handle a lot of interesting topics from the war that wouldn't have worked well in a shooter and they walked the line between light-hearted and grim nicely. I never felt overly depressed playing the game (the war certainly was a depressing piece of history) and I never felt they tried to be overly cute. I do think the game was too long for the tale they were telling though. Some of the narrative movements took too long to get where they were going. The puzzles weren't overly complex, but I was happy they didn't err on the side of obscure solutions. I don't think slowing down the pace of the game further with harder puzzles would have benefitted the story at all. The instant deaths from obstacles were pretty inoffensive barring one or two scenarios where there were a few too many obstacles between checkpoints and I'm not really sure I see an alternative to death for some of the mistakes.

Overall: I still think that QTE medic segment at the end of the game was a huge mistake, but after my irritation subsided I was pleased with the experience as a whole. It's an ambitious concept to pursue with solid execution and I think it's worth checking out if you want to see a major publisher actually have some balls.

I had intended to play this game around release due to my love for Ubisoft's two experiments last year (Blood Dragon and Gunslinger), but Dark Souls II took precedence and I didn't buy it till this summer sale. Basically the game is a fairytale story with kinda-sorta JRPG mechanics in a watercolor painted 2D world and it all comes together phenomenally well. The story follows a lot of basically fairy tale archetypes, but it's told in ballad form and has some very pleasant character development. I'm not a fan of poetry, but I thought the writing format worked well for the tone of the game and the creativity made up for the lack of spoken dialogue. I thought the party interaction after each new character joined your group was a nice touch as well. The battle system is built around a timer and you have various tools to mess with the timer or the enemy attack time. Ubisoft wisely included a built-in battle speed option which made my timer management a little bit easier and they also make it pretty easy to avoid battles if you wish (this is nice when going back to an area to explore a bit) . The only real issue I had with the combat in the game was the battle music. It felt like there was only one variant for the whole game and it gets pretty tiresome. I think each zone should have had a unique variation of it. The art is some truly incredible work. The water color style looks magnificent and each new area you enter is a real treat. I would definitely rank it at the top of the UbiArt pile over both Rayman and Valiant Hearts.

Overall: I love pretty much everything about the game. It might have been a touch too long, but I didn't mind. I definitely recommend picking this up even if you aren't a JRPG battle style fan, I wasn't either and this game won me over.

DasFool

Trying to replay Max Payne 3 in New York minute but the unskippable cutscenes are unbearable. Don't know what Rockstar was thinking with this.

Turfster

Trying to replay Max Payne 3 in New York minute but the unskippable cutscenes are unbearable. Don't know what Rockstar was thinking with this.

Lookit our moooveee!
We're just like Tony Scott hur hur hur!

(Seriously, they need to just go make movies, since that's obviously what they really want to do)

If the only cutscenes were ones that transitioned into a cool moment and the rest of the dialogue was in-game/door opening/whatever was in-game, it would be my most replayed game.

Still some of the best TPS gameplay ever though

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thanks for the impressions SF. I think I'm going to try to play Sniper Ghost Warrior soon. I know your impression was for Sniper Elite, a much better series, but I'm kind of in the mood for a turd.

Turfster

Gamersgate is doing a Space Battle Weekend
  • Endless Space Gold 66% off
  • Endless Space Disharmony 60% off
  • Endless Space Emperor Special Edition 70% off
  • StarDrive 70% off
  • The Last Federation 35% off
  • Horizon 50% off
  • X Rebirth 40% off
  • X3:Terran War 50% off
  • X3:Albion Prelude 50% off
  • Lords of the Black Sun EA 25% off

Thanks for the impressions SF. I think I'm going to try to play Sniper Ghost Warrior soon. I know your impression was for Sniper Elite, a much better series, but I'm kind of in the mood for a turd.
I like the Ghost Warrior games better than the Elite ones, Ghost Warrior 2 in my opinion is better than Elite 3, only downside is that is much shorter.

Both series are great though, but I love sniping so I'm biased.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Ghost Warrior 1 is a rather enjoyable turd. I enjoyed it quite a bit. GW2 is just plain awful though. They try to turn every mission into the infamous Chernobyl mission from COD4 and they fail hard.

Some extras - no thanks necessary. Take them all, please!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 12 Steam/Desura keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

ulgzbKC.png
Micy Roll (Desura) -- MB-FC21765E96059A88
ulgzbKC.png
Pressured (Desura) -- MB-505331CACA79CE6F
ulgzbKC.png
Cyberpunk 3776 (Desura) -- MB-20562A0457C24131
Sudokuball Detective -- MB-4EA252395D871B4A - Taken by KenOD. 1 entrants total.
Revenge of the Titans -- MB-6BF56D80477C2FF6 - Taken by ussjtrunks. 3 entrants total.
Bardbarian -- MB-63AF5CB80D830747 - Taken by BadRamen. 2 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
The Sun at Night (Desura) -- MB-AD8798C430C9484B
ulgzbKC.png
Ice Cream Surfer (Desura) -- MB-FDDA96799C9E14C4
ulgzbKC.png
Elements Soul of Fire (Desura) -- MB-BAF3672861E591EB
Thunder Wolves -- MB-A9D4901DAC627625 - Taken by koma. 4 entrants total.
Dead Island Epidemic -- MB-5B75463CA50829C4 - Taken by Mobius and pet octopus. 2 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Arkadianax (Desura) -- MB-91DA61F2568496DA

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Revenge of the Titans was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1405186893z1.png

Gamersgate is doing a Space Battle Weekend
  • Endless Space Gold 66% off
  • Endless Space Disharmony 60% off
  • Endless Space Emperor Special Edition 70% off
  • StarDrive 70% off
  • The Last Federation 35% off
  • Horizon 50% off
  • X Rebirth 40% off
  • X3:Terran War 50% off
  • X3:Albion Prelude 50% off
  • Lords of the Black Sun EA 25% off

Endless Space is an awesome 4X game! Looks nice and is relaxing to play. But t causes your wife to get angry at you for playing it and not listening to her.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Happy hunting
ModBot said:
Instructions for nbnt:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (nbnt, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sir, You Are Being Hunted #3 -- MB-9E4C7FA7BF639065 - Taken by Cheddahz. 22 entrants total.
Sir, You Are Being Hunted #2 -- MB-46FCF51ECE4CDE19 - Taken by Fracas. 26 entrants total.
Sir, You Are Being Hunted -- MB-2A3ED626A5FDA5E3 - Taken by Kifimbo. 21 entrants total.

t1405186953z1.png

Sober

Yeah unfortunately I hear the Ghost Warrior games are pretty much linear snipefests from what I saw but iirc they seem to also occasionally model some of the more realistic ballistics you might see?

I'm trying to play SE V2 right now and having a loud fucking rifle isn't exactly my idea of fun and the only real thing is either wait for a loud noise to mask a shot or just play it as a straight up cover shooter while sniping people shooting at you.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
A few games from the most recent Indie Gala bundle. Didn't include the Desura games because no one ever wants those.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BinaryPork2737, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Konung 2 -- MB-2686571D5F28AAA8 - Taken by fuzzy123. 4 entrants total.
Konung 3 -- MB-40FB7CEEE31218E6 - Taken by Lomax. 2 entrants total.
Sweet Lily Dreams -- MB-0F261E4F4614046B - Taken by NotSelf. 1 entrants total.
Mata Hari -- MB-76409B4634B26774 - Taken by derExperte. 3 entrants total.
El Matador -- MB-A1DE3FACB07B8303 - Taken by Egamer. 2 entrants total.

t1405187077z1.png

IIRC, there's only seven saves available per level in Blood Money.
I can't remember what Silent Assassin had as the save system but I really like the difficulty options in Blood Money. Rookie allows unlimited saving with dumb AI and lots of health, Normal gives you 7 with AI and health more balanced, Expert is 3 saves max and AI will be more alert to you as well as lower health and some Agency help items removed. But Professional is the mark of a champ. No saves, brutal AI, getting caught in conflict unprepared can finish you off in seconds, and minimal mini map markers.
I think SA and Contracts have similar systems but the number of saves might be different. Absolution added mission checkpoints to the difficulty scheme which kind of killed the challenge unless you played on the highest level of Professional. I think I got the Platinum trophy for that in 2 evenings.
Sounds good. Man gaf is a treasure trove of games knowledge. Spring you always show up when I have question. First helping me with Yakuza and now with Hitman! Thanks guys. Guess I'll play on normal (easy).

Nice nbnt!

I knew what I was getting into with this game, but it's still really sad after Activision gutted High Moon. The new devs (Edge of Reality, Loadout) wisely use the gameplay framework from High Moon, but failed in pretty much every other department. It doesn't use the license well, the level design is just sad, the art direction is pathetic, and there are almost no worthwhile setpieces. War and Fall were really special games that I cherish my experiences with and they completely nailed all of those categories. The worst parts of Rise of the Dark Spark is definitely everything on earth. It doesn't tie into the movie at all other than character overlap and the visual direction required for an earth environment is clearly well beyond Edge of Reality's ability. At least on Cybertron they could crudely paste the High Moon assets together. There was one good level in the whole mess that was basically Descent with Transformers, but it was over far too quickly. I also had a bit of fun working on achievements in the horde mode, but it got old after a couple of hours.

Overall: I wouldn't recommend this game even if you were madly in love with the Transformers franchise. I am filled with sadness knowing I will never get the finish to the Cybertron series that I deserve.

Such a damn shame. I knew this was going to be a mess as soon as I read 'movie tie-in' and it's such a shame about High Moon. Finally a decent Transformers series and they manage to nuke it.

aku:jiki

Yeah unfortunately I hear the Ghost Warrior games are pretty much linear snipefests from what I saw but iirc they seem to also occasionally model some of the more realistic ballistics you might see?

I'm trying to play SE V2 right now and having a loud fucking rifle isn't exactly my idea of fun and the only real thing is either wait for a loud noise to mask a shot or just play it as a straight up cover shooter while sniping people shooting at you.
Considering your complaints, I'd say you don't like sniping games at all. Why are you bothering with two franchises with the word "sniper" in the title?

I mean, you just complained that a game literally called "Sniper" is a "snipefest".

Tizoc

Last chance!
ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana -- MB-102BC574341448A0 - Taken by Altazor. 41 entrants total.
Ys I & II Chronicles Plus -- MB-DFC1B7FE9DDF5746 - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 24 entrants total.
Ys Origin -- MB-23379AF818256627 - Taken by Tektonic. 68 entrants total.

t1405189130z1.png

Speevy

Banned
Daily Rise of the Triad 80% off

Humble Store Daily
  • Steamworld Dig 50%ish off
  • Super Comboman 33%ish off
  • Our Darker Purpose 66%ish off
  • Continue?9876543210 75%ish off
  • The Ship 66%ish off
  • David 50%ish off
  • Unmechanical 75%ish off
  • Beyond Divinity 75%ish off
  • Divine Divinity 75%ish off
  • Influx 75%ish off
  • Ring Runner 66%ish off
  • Hoard 66%ish off

Welcome to Bethesda "rpgs"

Do you think any of these deals are worth grabbing?

pKSlqny.png

What is this?:
This is a time when SteamGAF can get together to play CS:GO. We will be playing casual matches, players from all skill levels are welcome!

When we are playing: Estimate Time
t1405218600z4.png

What we are playing:
We are playing public matches through the casual matchmaking system. Due to the limitations of the party system there are only 10 spots available in the party. After the party is full, we will be placed in a public server where anyone can join the game.

How to join us:
At the designated time I will make another post here announcing that we are starting. Add me as a friend on steam and through the main menu join the same game that I am in at that time.

In the future:
If we have enough consistent players, we may consider setting up or renting a server for drop in drop out gaf matches.

Come join us and have fun!

Cheddahz

Banned
Thank you for the game nbnt!

pKSlqny.png

What is this?:
This is a time when SteamGAF can get together to play CS:GO. We will be playing casual matches, players from all skill levels are welcome!

t1405218600z4.png

What we are playing:
We are playing public matches through the casual matchmaking system. Due to the limitations of the party system there are only 10 spots available in the party. After the party is full, we will be placed in a public server where anyone can join the game.

How to join us:
At the designated time I will make another post here announcing that we are starting. Add me as a friend on steam and through the main menu join the same game that I am in at that time.

In the future:
If we have enough consistent players, we may consider setting up or renting a server for drop in drop out gaf matches.

I'm going to play with you guys tonight (and I'm down for comp if you guys are)

Hugstable

Banned
Run past everything. It's speed souls time, gotta go fast!

You must of used the Sunlight Maggot then. ;P

So I checked out what the Sunlight Maggot was, and I'm heading back to Blighttown to go to Demon Ruins. I made it to the first bonfire somehow in Tomb of the Giants which is a warp, so now I can go grab the sunlight maggot. Only thing I'm not feeling right now is having to go down Blighttown again since I have no warp past this place.

So i'm one of two co-hosts for our annual fundraiser for our Burning Man camp (Automatic Subconscious). We're setting up today for the big fundraiser tomorrow; 60 pounds of home-smoked pork shoulder, 2.5 kegs of homebrew, tons of grillables, 4 DJs, a big steam bath, the works. We've got over 150 people RSVPd, so it's a decent sized production.

So today is setup day, and we're putting up a big projector to show the World Cup final on the side of the house. So how do the bastards choose to test it?

... by streaming The International. And in between International matches, playing Skullgirls.

PRODUCTIVITY AT THIS SETUP DAY HAS DROPPED TO NOTHING! LUNCH BREAK WAS SUPPOSED TO BE OVER 45 MINUTES AGO

DAMN YOU STEAM!

Time to go organize a power outage.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Oh wow, I sold the drop I got yesterday from playing CSGO with GAF and today it dropped 60 cents in price. Glad I sold it as soon as possible.

pKSlqny.png

What is this?:

t1405218600z4.png

What we are playing:

How to join us:

In the future:

I'll join in if I can!

So I checked out what the Sunlight Maggot was, and I'm heading back to Blighttown to go to Demon Ruins. I made it to the first bonfire somehow in Tomb of the Giants which is a warp, so now I can go grab the sunlight maggot. Only thing I'm not feeling right now is having to go down Blighttown again since I have no warp past this place.

At the bottom of the area after you beat Quelaag and rung the bell there is an invisible wall with a bonfire where you can warp and Quelaag's sister. Feed her 30 humanity and you get access to the area with the Sunlight Maggot.

I'm going to play with you guys tonight (and I'm down for comp if you guys are)

Some of us will probably play a few comp games after.

pKSlqny.png

What is this?:

t1405218600z4.png

What we are playing:

How to join us:

In the future:

I'll play tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom