• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilflare

Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION

I forgot to mention this, but even if you don't really like shumps go pick this up right now or when it's on sale. Although I suggest getting it right now because you should not miss out on that sweet bullet hell action. I recommend trying out novice or training mode first because this game is hard, and you will die a lot. The game has this hype feature where after killing lots of enemies you fill up a gauge and once it hits a full bar you enter Break mode which is sweet as hell. The game is just really fun so check it out.

Also you collect shitload of stars. Just look at all those stars!

14630287573_ee401150b2_c.jpg

this is glorious
and i know what my dad will say if he sees me playing this
"I don't understand how you young people ever play a game with so much going on"

Jadax

Gaffers - Deponia: A Complete Journey contains all 3 games + extras? Just want to confirm as I'm very confused why it's going for 1k only.

Gaffers - Deponia: A Complete Journey contains all 3 games + extras? Just want to confirm as I'm very confused why it's going for 1k only.

If I'm not mistaken, it's 90% off for people that already have all 3 games. But they can sell those copies to those who don't.

It says what it includes on the store page:
This collection of the award-winning Deponia-series includes all three games of the trilogy of the trash-planet in a revised version which also contains several extras, enriching the unique Deponia-experience with over 4 hours of optional developers commentary, a new questlog-system, 6 new songs from Poki and a lot more!

DeponiaContentGrafik_9_Black_610px.jpg

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

If I'm not mistaken, it's 90% off for people that already have all 3 games. But they can sell those copies to those who don't.

Yes. It's going for 1 key only because owning all three games gives you a 90% discount. Also, the Russians, who already have a far lower price than everyone else, also get in on the discount, making the game dirt cheap in value at the moment since it's not region locked.

So the Wolf Among Us doesn't like Big Picture Mode. Like... at all. The overlay lags whenever it's up, and the game does too. Button presses still register in-game while the overlay is up, etc. Kinda sucks.

Mono

So the Wolf Among Us doesn't like Big Picture Mode. Like... at all. The overlay lags whenever it's up, and the game does too. Button presses still register in-game while the overlay is up, etc. Kinda sucks.

Same thing happened to me for that game. :| Yet some games refuse to work with a controller unless they're in big picture mode! I don't know what's up.

Deques

What you talking about? Its always been this way.

What is this key I keep seeing mentioned? Why is it important, and why would anbody even trade a game for this digital key?

Keys are from Team Fortress 2, Dota2 and CS:GO. For some reason it is used as currency to trade games or whatever digital stuff.

Mono

What did you guys think about Wolf finale?

BIGBY GOING ACTUAL BIG BAD WOLF MADE THE EPISODE, OMG

I feel like I really screwed up with my choice of ripping the Crooked Man's head off at the last second and will definitely try that part again. I actually really liked the Narissa scene at the end and really hope that wasn't an empty sequel-tease.

I really loved the finale, though! Lots of cool scenes, and I think it wrapped itself up well.

maneil99

I don't know what makes that avatar more untrustworthy, the eyes, the mouth or the fact that it's Nozomi.

The hentai element doesn't stand out as a reason at all?

Edit:
You guys realise I have been joking about that the entire time right? I watched Yu Gi Oh when I was a kid, so I'm like you

Ventara

What you talking about? Its always been this way.

What is this key I keep seeing mentioned? Why is it important, and why would anbody even trade a game for this digital key?

Keys are used as currency since you can't trade money on Steam. Keys are bought for real money. They sell for $2.50, but people sell them for as low as $2.

Thanks for the link. The guy wants something in addition to the key, though. I don't have anything else except some cards. Will send an offer and see what happens.

Elija2

Stump would know for sure, but I think it has something to do with the way Modbot uses MB codes. It may be that quoting them in a second post would cause the edits to not happen on the original post.

Maybe, but Batman AC and Teleglitch are listed as taken in both posts.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION

I forgot to mention this, but even if you don't really like shumps go pick this up right now or when it's on sale. Although I suggest getting it right now because you should not miss out on that sweet bullet hell action.
I am really tempted to, and Astebreed as well, but I feel like I should play Ikaruga (which I have) first.

I also have Jamestown (which I played most of), Ether Vapor Remaster, eXceed trilogy, GundeadliGne, Gundemonium Recollection, Satazius, Sine Mora, Super Killer Hornet: Resurrection, Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender, and Raiden Legacy... and while they each may seem lesser, they amount to a hell of a lot of shmup so I should probably at least play Ikaruga before getting these other two.

I plan to give back to this thread with a few more giveaways since I just won something so great as soon as my account is unlocked.
*tag/ava quote*

maneil99

Keys are used as currency since you can't trade money on Steam. Keys are bought for real money. They sell for $2.50, but people sell them for as low as $2.

Thanks for the link. The guy wants something in addition to the key, though. I don't have anything else except some cards. Will send an offer and see what happens.

That should be fine

Finally got Divinity: Original Sin! After a week of being locked out the market place and about an hour of finding an online trader, I finally got it, excited to start playing!

Mokoi

Banned

Keys are from Team Fortress 2, Dota2 and CS:GO. For some reason it is used as currency to trade games or whatever digital stuff.

Thanks for the explanation. I kind of get the whole concept, but still seems dumb to me.

http://mybirdie.ca/files/sad-man-silhouette.jpg

Yeah I need a drink too. It has been a rough day.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, the Deponia collection.

So are you asking if they're one cohesive game or do you mean they count as multiple +1's? If it's the latter, no, it's only one +1 to your account. If it's the former, I wasn't able to find much about that, but I did come across this on GOG:

The three previously individual adventures are hanged in each other, but retain their intros as part of their story. The transitions between the individual parts are softer, you can play through in one go. This acts 'Deponia - The Complete Edition' as a big game, there is no need to "change" the games.

New is a Deponia world map. In addition you can select the required chapter once it has been unlocked. All savegames are compatible with each other - who wants to switch for example from the floating black market to Kuvaq, "Deponia 1" automatically loads in the background, without additional handles are necessary.

So through this grammatical adventure, I think that it's either one full game that merges all of the games into one or it's all of the games in one app that can load at the same time, I've got no idea what I've read.

Anyone would want to gift me the Deponia Collection? I would of course gift him back the key after I sold enough card for Steam Wallet Money again.

BHK3

Banned
Any puzzle fans looking forward to this game? I made this little write up to see if it'll interest anyone else on it. The creators of the serious sam series is making this by the way on an upgraded engine. Yes the people who made the most mindless fps game about shooting a million things in a million pieces is now making a '2deep4u' game, enjoy :D

4903376281.jpg

Steam Page said:
Store Page link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/257510

Genre: Puzzle

The Talos Principle is a philosophical first-person puzzle game from Croteam, the creators of the Serious Sam series, and written by Tom Jubert (FTL, The Swapper) and Jonas Kyratzes (Infinite Ocean). Players are tasked with solving a series of increasingly complex puzzles woven into a metaphysical parable about intelligence and meaning in an inevitably doomed world.

Complex Conundrums: Overcome more than 120 immersive puzzles through the eyes of an advanced artificial intelligence construct and unveil your significance at the behest of your creators.

Anachronistic Juxtaposition: Deploy sophisticated technology furnished by the creators to unravel each predicament entombed within digital recreations of humanity’s ruins. Divert drones, disable turrets, and even replicate time to prove your worth beneath an ancient sky.

Croteam Technology: The Talos Principle is built on Croteam’s Serious Engine 4 technology, the next advancement in the engine behind the Serious Sam series, and a new proprietary method to scan real world locations and historical elements into the game world.

OP Note: The game will include a Level Editor upgraded from serious sam 3, Secret Levels which croteam is famous for, the game will be Single Player, no co-op and will have a Deluxe Edition(OST, artwork, etc).

The writing of the Talos Principle by Jonas Kyratzes and Tom Jupert said:
Q: Should I read up on anything before delving into the game?

A: JK: I should start by saying that it's not actually necessary to read up on anything before playing the game - we're telling a story, not testing you on Philosophy 101! :)

That said, if you want to read Spinoza, he's certainly an essential part of the history of rationalism and his influence, direct or indirect, can probably be felt in the game. (He's definitely worth reading, game or no game. Not exactly light reading, though.)

Other recommendations? Well, I think one of the things that are cool about The Talos Principle is that you'll be able to approach it from a variety of angles. It's a game about synthesis, and it contains a multitude of ideas. Which reflects the people making it, too. I believe Tom Jubert, for example, is a fan of Daniel Dennett, whom I can't stand, whereas I'm more likely to be influenced by Marx - or Carl Sagan, for that matter. And Croteam have their own ideas, which are also part of the mix.

One more thought - I think it's a great idea to read stuff you don't already agree with. It can be quite thought-provoking and fun. For example, I adore G.K. Chesterton's theological writings, even though I disagree with about 95% of his ideas.

So, some potential candidates could be...
- Aristotle
- The Bible (whether you believe in it or not)
- Baruch Spinoza
- Friedrich Hegel
- Ludwig Feuerbach
- Karl Marx (or Friedrich Engels; no need to be a communist yourself)
- Immanuel Kant
- Bertrand Russell
- G.K. Chesterton
- Albert Einstein
- Carl Sagan
- Daniel Dennett

But the game also has many literary influences, so you might enjoy reading...
- Isaac Asimov
- William Blake
- John Milton (bloody hard to read, but valuable)
- Philip K. Dick
- Olaf Stapledon

That's just off the top of my head, really, and I'm probably forgetting the most important names. Just pick something you think is really interesting, or that challenges you. (Philosophy anyway tends to function like one giant forum discussion across the ages, so everyone is constantly commenting on everyone else, and it gets messy quickly.)

And hey, maybe you'll find something *in* the game that will make you want to look up this or that writer.

TJ: Seems Jonas has this covered, but I'll chip in a few different ideas.

As he points out, one of the coolest things about this game (for me as a writer, but hopefully for the player as well) is that the whole thing is a dialogue, in a bunch of different ways. It's a dialogue between Jonas, Croteam and me; it's a dialogue between the player and the game systems, and a dialogue between various seemingly opposed schools of philosophy. This isn't Bioshock, where we take one particular source (Ayn Rand's objectivism) and focus all our attention there, so there's no primary reading resource either.

For some starters on philosophy of mind you could check out this thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/231160/discussions/0/846954921876003523/

There are certainly crossovers here, dealing as we do with questions about artificial intelligence and personhood. And again, you can read our dalliances with such matters in the game as commentary on the real future of robotics and brain science, but also as a kind of case study into what qualifies as a person, and what that tells us about our moral obligations to one another today.

For me, one of the most interesting angles on this tale is a sort of contemporary retelling of the garden of eden. What happens if we step past the religion that story is couched in and ask what ideas of our own time would play the different roles in that narrative. What is our serpent? What is our tree of life? What are we?

Cherry Picked Screenshots said:
(Be sure to click these and view for full size)
ss_ff8141e95a4cb6d45d6228082446231c405f5ded.1920x1080.jpg

ss_8ad1915e19da5b60cb7f49d3a6e1477da0986cf2.1920x1080.jpg

The%20Talos%20Principle%20-%20Photogrammetry%20Example.jpg

Some barebones gameplay vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Edwcn469M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KLlFqWlt4M

Saty

So are you asking if they're one cohesive game or do you mean they count as multiple +1's? If it's the latter, no, it's only one +1 to your account. If it's the former, I wasn't able to find much about that, but I did come across this on GOG:

Yeah, thanks. That covers it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom