• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

I'm at 195 games now.

I've played like 8 of them.

that's way too little! I played 5 or 6 times more of that this year alone, I only finished 18, though. And I don't play a lot, well not that much as some regulars here.
You have no time, or don't want to play?
just curious

CassSept

Personally I find BioShock's hard mode pretty tedious, especially if you're planning on fighting the Big Daddys you run into. It's also a case where the game is exponentially harder in the first 2-3 hours than the rest of the game on hard, because you have relatively few combat resources and almost no money to get healed or buy medical kits.

Tbh that was the case with Normal too, the game is way harder at first and actually gets much easier as you collect weapons and power-ups.

Yrael

I entered for Praetorians when you first posted the raffle (Thanks for that btw), Modbot still acting funny?

Hmm, it could be ModBot "throttling" your entry...apparently it does that if you've won multiple games recently (it's happened to me too). Stump would need to confirm that though.

If no-one else is taking it though I could just PM the key to you directly.

saunderez

The power of Steam. I keep looking at games in the store, thinking "ooh, this looks interesting" and clicking in, only to find I've apparently had it for years.
That was the best part of the Steam sales.

"Oh that looks exactly like my kinda game... "

*Clicks*

YOU ALREADY OWN THIS GAME

"I must have thought it looked like my type of game when I bought it too"

Zantar

Neo Member
I'm at 146 games after 4 years on steam (Has it been that long?!)

I recently counted up how many games I actually managed to beat the main storyline in... and came up with 9.

Damn.

Autofokus

old unclaimed keys from me, please just take them. :)

Botanicula -- MB-151EF35251D1399D - Taken by crazyrabbits. 1 entrants total.
Fractal -- MB-A8673E99828D4901
Rocketbirds -- MB-AC69124E95EA7125

Shantom

The power of Steam. I keep looking at games in the store, thinking "ooh, this looks interesting" and clicking in, only to find I've apparently had it for years.
I activated a Tropico 4 key yesterday, didn't install it and Steam claims I've already played it for 8 minutes. Even Steam can't keep track of what games I have/play.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Hmm, it could be ModBot "throttling" your entry...apparently it does that if you've won multiple games recently (it's happened to me too). Stump would need to confirm that though.

If no-one else is taking it though I could just PM the key to you directly.

Ah, that could be it.

I'm sure somebody else will take it :)

Arthea

That was the best part of the Steam sales.

"Oh that looks exactly like my kinda game... "

*Clicks*

YOU ALREADY OWN THIS GAME

"I must have thought it looked like my type of game when I bought it too"
you know what's most scary thing about steam? When you use Enchanted steam and suddenly all store page is green for you, especially frightening during sales.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I entered for Praetorians when you first posted the raffle (Thanks for that btw), Modbot still acting funny?

The logs show two PMs entering for Praetorians, neither you, and both people who didn't meet the lurker requirements. ModBot's dumped his PMs since, but I'm seeing three from you in the last two days---titles sfds, ggg, and fdfd. Which one had the entry for Praetorians?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Well this sucks. Tried to fire up Deponia Complete but the game is broken from the very start. Can't move anywhere, he just stands there doing the moonwalk for all eternity.

edit: It does work on Mac though. Guess I'll just play it there, but kind of annoying.

Can you load a mac save from the PC version? You could try playing a little way into the game and then switching back over to see if that helps?

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
The logs show two PMs entering for Praetorians, neither you, and both people who didn't meet the lurker requirements. ModBot's dumped his PMs since, but I'm seeing three from you in the last two days---titles sfds, ggg, and fdfd. Which one had the entry for Praetorians?

It's the fdfd one :)

Project aftermath actually seems pretty solid. Just shows what games can do when they take a more minimalist approach to the graphics. It is also well designed. I've played RTS with similar approach with small teams of units to control, like jagged alliance but for some reason or other they just didn't click with me. I am only done the tutorial and I can tell PA is clicking better than some RTS I have played made on a much bigger budget.

oipic

would have never guessed i'll be so much into hidden object games. the concept didnt look quite that appealing to me at first but now i just cant stop playing them. with open dictionary i must add, so it has definitely something to do with english not being my native language. its just been a while since a played something educational and had fun doing it. for example today i learned that "bow" can be also that suit accessory you can wear instead of tie. took me whole damn 20 minutes starring at the screen looking for anything that would resemble "bow, the weapon" (:) good times, will never forget meaning(s) of that word ever again

Great post, redlacs. :)

As a native English speaker (and someone who can't comprehend understanding an additional language as well - I studied French for four years but have forgotten almost all of it), I marvel at the ability of anyone that undertakes the learning of English.

So many words that sound the same with differing spelling, and a whole host of others that share the same spelling (like 'bow') that have no relationship or meaning to tie them together... Are other languages similar in this regard?

I must say, there are many, many folks here, for whom English is not their native tongue, who write it very well indeed. I marvel at that often, it's very impressive!

Games as a language learning tool is a great added benefit to our wonderful hobby, though, right?

saunderez

you know what's most scary thing about steam? When you use Enchanted steam and suddenly all store page is green for you, especially frightening during sales.
Hahah I know exactly what you mean my friend. That's when I start thinking I might have a problem. Then I buy another bundle.

Jawmuncher

PC gamers = game collectors.

I know I agree with this. Even though some of us aren't crazy for off steam games and the like. Just seeing that number go up and the ease of getting new titles helps a lot.
I know that's why my transition from console to PC has been so easy.

Xanathus

I should start writing messages for Stump in my modbot entry titles since he is the only one that sees those.

tylerf

Can you load a mac save from the PC version? You could try playing a little way into the game and then switching back over to see if that helps?

Gave this a shot but it's not even syncing saves between them, even though it says it has steam cloud. I think I'll just wait a few days because I'm sure a patch is already coming.

Arthea

I had this thought yesterday. Wouldn't it be easier for us to find a game and discuss on times if we had 100% fun steamgaf group?

Nzyme32

As if anyone needs any more convincing, I thought I'd point out that the final episode of The Wolf Among Us is excellent, and as a whole the season is great. My only complaints are that the episodes on their own are too short for my liking, however, to binge on the whole season may still feel quite satisfying regardless. I thoroughly recommend it

Jawmuncher

ya, that's why I thought, I'll ask: do you think it makes things easier or is it redundant, as there are not so many people playing it still.

At this point I would say its not needed.
There's just a handful of us and we seem to already be on each other's friends list. Now if the game goes on sale again or is in a bundle and more people get it. Then I think it would be a good idea.

Jørdan

Personally I find BioShock's hard mode pretty tedious, especially if you're planning on fighting the Big Daddys you run into.

I made it through just fine but it was nowhere near a completionist run, there's some encounters in the second or third area that I had to run from because there was just no way to beat them with what I had.

Thank you both for the replies, I think I'll restart and choose medium - I'd like to enjoy exploring Rapture without hauling ass and missing the world they crafted. The in-game description made medium sound like it would be too easy and hard mode like a more appropriate setting for me, so I appreciate your input.

so far i think i enjoyed the most seasons of mystery: cherry blossom murders. japan <3

Great setting, looks lovely.

Hmm, I also entered. I think I meet the requirements, entered twice, second time after it was still unclaimed - title was :)

Divius

that's way too little! I played 5 or 6 times more of that this year alone, I only finished 18, though. And I don't play a lot, well not that much as some regulars here.
You have no time, or don't want to play?
just curious
I was exaggerating :p But I usually get hooked on a couple of games (roguelikes are addicting) and play those for a long period of time, while my backlog keeps growing and growing.

Arthea

At this point I would say its not needed.
There's just a handful of us and we seem to already be on each other's friends list. Now if the game goes on sale again or is in a bundle and more people get it. Then I think it would be a good idea.

I'll take your advice, let's leave this idea for now.

I was exaggerating :p But I usually get hooked on a couple of games (roguelikes are addicting) and play those for a long period of time, while my backlog keeps growing and growing.

oh, I know all to well about getting into endless game and staying with them too long (><)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jørdan;120163546 said:
Hmm, I also entered. I think I meet the requirements, entered twice, second time after it was still unclaimed - title was :)

ModBot thinks you didn't meet the requirements. Let me investigate to see if this is another unicode bug with your username.

Edit: Looks like it's a unicode bug with reading your username from the who posted list. Sorry about that. Well, at least you've been very useful for me to try to slowly stamp out all the unicode bugs.

marrec

Banned
Personally I find BioShock's hard mode pretty tedious, especially if you're planning on fighting the Big Daddys you run into. It's also a case where the game is exponentially harder in the first 2-3 hours than the rest of the game on hard, because you have relatively few combat resources and almost no money to get healed or buy medical kits.

The problem with Normal is that by the time you get through the first 2-3 hours the game becomes too easy and you'll find yourself doing things to artificially increase the difficulty level.

I don't remember being able to change difficulty on the fly (played on Xbox originally) so by the end of the game combat was trivial... though still fun because of the stealth options you have. I'd suggest anyone who has extensive experience with FPS start on Hard mode.

Jørdan

ModBot thinks you didn't meet the requirements. Let me investigate to see if this is another unicode bug with your username.

Ok, thank you for taking the time to check - sorry again for the nuisance. I swear people joke that he is sentient yet I know he doesn't like me:p

Edit:
Edit: Looks like it's a unicode bug with reading your username from the who posted list. Sorry about that. Well, at least you've been very useful for me to try to slowly stamp out all the unicode bugs.

Ah, nice catch. Thank you for finding the issue, hopefully I won't be too useful in the future due to there not being many left to find :)

As if anyone needs any more convincing, I thought I'd point out that the final episode of The Wolf Among Us is excellent, and as a whole the season is great. My only complaints are that the episodes on their own are too short for my liking, however, to binge on the whole season may still feel quite satisfying regardless. I thoroughly recommend it

Could you compare it with the Walking Dead seasons? (to date)

Divius

Pff, I just had my name changed when the & caused based ModBot trouble.

Tizoc

I'd say I liked WAU more than Season 1 of Walking Dead.
Mind you your choices don't really affect much throughout the course of the game but a few dialog choices can affect one character in the ending.

velociraptor

Jørdan;120160558 said:
Just how hard is hard mode? Looking for a challenge of the non tedious kind.

I've completed all the Bioshock games on Hard mode and I personally felt like most of the enemies were actually bullet sponges :\

I'd say I liked WAU more than Season 1 of Walking Dead.
Mind you your choices don't really affect much throughout the course of the game but a few dialog choices can affect one character in the ending.

I played through an hour of TWD and got bored. The setting and characters are just downright boring for this type of game, IMO. Played an hour of Wolf Among Us so far and am enjoying it SO much more.

Sendou

It's great but it's inferior to both The Walking Dead Season 1 and 2. I just can't bring myself to care about the characters in The Wolf Among Us quite the same way. The last episode was a weak way to end the season. Basically the season peaks with the first episode and steadily goes worse with each episode.

I still liked it and can recommend it but it's quite not what I hoped for.

StAidan

I've played 92 out of my 222 Steam games, and somehow managed to complete 24 of them this year so far. I'm on a mission to clear out my backlog, but that's probably years away what with a major sale every 6 months.

I've managed to complete 2 games I bought at the Summer Sale already, might be a new record for me!

WAU just now and Of Orcs and Men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom