• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
(more Swapper spoilers)
Yeah, I also swapped the first time around. Made a second runthrough recently to get all the secret rooms and get the other ending, though. I gotta say, the hidden rooms are really the only thing that bugged me about the game. I had absolutely no problem using a a guide for them, as there's no way in a million years I would have found a single one of them. Having to swap through random seemingly-solid walls is just BS design.
The fact the game doesn't let you load your last save after you beat it so you can
hunt the secret rooms
. creating an artificial point of no return with no sort of warning and making you restart from scratch if you want to 100% is my biggest peeve in an otherwise excellent game. I did replay and completed it though.

Unfortunately, the decision was intentional too, which I think is a misstep because the meat of the game are the puzzles and that sort of thing actually discourages people
to go after the extra ones
. I guarantee whoever wasn't interested in getting all achievements just
watched the other ending on Youtube
, so that kind of design decision only does harm anyway.

But like I said, excellent game regardless and it says a lot about it that this is the only complaint I have.

Jawmuncher

Hopefully Alien Isolation preorders will open up in the next few days now that they announced the bonuses. Will preorder in a heartbeat

Yep I'm really looking forward to it.
It following more in the footsteps of Alien rather than Aliens is great. Always liked the idea of the Xenomorph as a hunter over a overwhelming numbered force.

Turfster

Yep I'm really looking forward to it.
It following more in the footsteps of Alien rather than Aliens is great. Always liked the idea of the Xenomorph as a hunter over a overwhelming numbered force.

I'm still kinda leery about some of the things I've read about it.
Will see how it pans out on release.

I played the witcher 1 very recently.

Don't bother with it. It's stuff to the gills with backtracking, the battle system is really shallow and not enjoyable, and the pacing is terrible.

Either read a synopsis or watch the official animated summary from CDProject Red. I put 20 hours into it before I just tapped out, whereas I've been hooked to the Witcher 2 and can't wait to finish it.

Yeah, I believe it was your comments that made me hesitant, haha.

That does sound like I would not like it, especially after having already played Witcher 2. I generally don't love many games or shows that people defend by saying that you have to get X far into it before it gets good. It is often true, but I'd rather start something new if it fails to keep my interest.

QUOTE]I don't remember this at all haha!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Okay, new game search system is deployed, so you should see better art matching and better HOT tag matching assuming you don't screw up the name of the game you send. :) Note that giveaways are still capped to 4 banner images by design.

I just tried the training in Blade Symphony. Interesting.

Attempted to play an online game, and it crashed with something like "thread handle to idmap overflow"

Yeah, I believe it was your comments that made me hesitant, haha.

That does sound like I would not like it, especially after having already played Witcher 2. I generally don't love many games or shows that people defend by saying that you have to get X far into it before it gets good. It is often true, but I'd rather start something new if it fails to keep my interest.

If you're really just looking to get into the story then just put it on the easiest possible setting and dont bother with side stuff. The game has no means of changing the difficulty once you started and went even so far as to try a mod that would supposed let you change the difficulty by drinking a potion to get it down to easy but i didnt notice any differences.

I just wish there was an adventure game version of the first game because the story and the lore behind that world were the only things that kept me going.

I now hate swamps with the same, no even more, passion that I hate sewers with thanks to the Witcher 1.

Jawmuncher

I just tried the training in Blade Symphony. Interesting.

Attempted to play an online game, and it crashed with something like "thread handle to idmap overflow"

Haven't tried a actual online game myself but I had no issues when I hosted. They might have been playing on a custom map.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm working on a new way for ModBot to detect steam game names to make the game art and HOT tag detection a little better. Since this seems like a fairly generalized problem, I thought I'd share my process here.

Currently, ModBot uses the Steam search function to search for the exact name you've entered. If it finds no results, you're SOL. If it finds more than one result, it attempts to figure out which is the best result by removing punctuation, converting everything to lower case, and trying to find the closest match between the possible results. This is not bad, but it also requires a lot of searches to go out to Steam unnecessarily, and it's not super fast, and there are a few issues.

The new system will do this:
- First, I store the name, appid, and price of every single game on Steam by screen scraping Steam's search results one by one.
- I store the name in the following format:
- If there is a / in the name, take only what's before the /
- Replace all Roman numerals (XIV) with Arabic numerals (14)
- Convert game name to all lower case
- Replace the text string "two" with "2"
- Remove any of the following text from game names:
- Game names starting with "a " or containing the word "a"
- "a post nuclear role playing game"
- "the "
- "of "
- "and "
- "deluxe edition", "complete", "collector's edition", "ultimate edition", "gold edition", "game of the year edition", "extended edition"
- "tom clancy's", "sid meier's"​
- If there's a ": " in the game name, store the full name and also store the portion behind the : as an "alternate name"
- Strip all non alphanumeric characters remaining, including spaces, so the result looks like "splintercellblacklist"​
- Store all of the full names
- Store alternate names only when they do not conflict with full names or overlap with other alternate names (for example, series that have a bunch of subtitle games like Hitman: Blood Money versus Hitman: Absolution clearly can't guess what you mean if you just type Hitman)

When you submit a game, it will do the same conversion on what you've submitted and check against the local database to get the information. Only if it doesn't find a hit will it send the search out to Steam, and then it'll use the old system.

I'll be rolling it out over the next day or two
Whoa, this is a lot of work, thank you so much Stump. Will this work with the game Retro/Grade?

Milamber

So I played about 10 minutes of High School Dreams...

l3TiIlC.jpg

*Shudders*
L4u7ObA.jpg
6saeVik.png

Look at this army of women you can become!
BG2wYDy.jpg

Hope I can change my resolution...

oJ0iwGD.jpg

Fuck!
oYsRG6F.jpg

Oooh! A character creation screen.

r3mVZ1d.jpg

What is the sluttiest cutest outfit I can muster up?

BuWnXhJ.jpg

Unfortunately, my starting outfits are lacking and you have to unlock more ingame.

IyEkaHQ.jpg

Perfect!
1k0Ik46.jpg

New place.

4WgrJml.jpg

Pretty standard story, new town, new friends, new enemies.

QHT4908.jpg

First day of school.
FriDQ1n.jpg

Befriending!

KEHVyJ9.jpg

Darn tootin' it's cute!
0zE0rGt.jpg

Okay, the standard Jock...

ul4Ln3v.jpg

Token hip guy...

LOTnlB7.jpg

Can't forget the emo-kid...

G7dYXhg.jpg

and the class clown.

ef9hKEI.jpg

That slut!
0eqFpJR.jpg

Where I choose to sit determines the guy I go out with first. Got it!

dlFxljR.jpg

Obvious choice.

zxchADp.jpg

Small talk...

1Ukl2fb.jpg

More small talk...

bFfafdl.jpg

Ooh, gained some points with that! Now he wants to hang out with me

9PIt9lh.jpg

Let's see, I can either go with him now...

60iDb1Y.jpg

Wut!?
I'll play a little bit more of this later after dinner.

Vlad

Not as good as Cain though! Guaranteed good pills 4 life.

Gotta respectfully disagree there. While yes, good pills can be useful, Being able to re-roll any item can lead to some amazingly overpowered runs, especially if you plan it out right. Hit the boss and treasure rooms as soon as possible, maximizing the number of unfinished rooms to recharge the D6 for even more re-rolling.

The fact the game doesn't let you load your last save after you beat it so you can
hunt the secret rooms
. creating an artificial point of no return with no sort of warning and making you restart from scratch if you want to 100% is my biggest peeve in an otherwise excellent game. I did replay and completed it though.

Unfortunately, the decision was intentional too, which I think is a misstep because the meat of the game are the puzzles and that sort of thing actually discourages people
to go after the extra ones
. I guarantee whoever wasn't interested in getting all achievements just
watched the other ending on Youtube
, so that kind of design decision only does harm anyway.

But like I said, excellent game regardless and it says a lot about it that this is the only complaint I have.

Well, on the plus side,
once you know how to solve the puzzles in the game it really doesn't take that long to run through it again. I did it in one short sitting yesterday, and that was with looking through a guide for the secret rooms.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I added two new creepy mystery game images to the rotation (not to take away from alr1ght's wonderful LeskoBot at all!) Only by giving away mystery games will you unlock their secrets.

Whoa, this is a lot of work, thank you so much Stump. Will this work with the game Retro/Grade?

It will, yes, I have some safeguards against stuff that will prevent that kind of thing from being an issue. The rule exists because of Capcom / Ubisoft's nonsense. Search for Valiant Hearts and you'll see what I mean.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Well, on the plus side,
once you know how to solve the puzzles in the game it really doesn't take that long to run through it again. I did it in one short sitting yesterday, and that was with looking through a guide for the secret rooms.
Yeah, same here. Did it one sitting and used a guide for
the room locations
. I still thought "...are you serious right now?" when the game didn't let me load the save though. :lol To be honest, in the end my peeve is more about the principle of the matter than the actual inconvenience it may have caused. Just felt like an unnecessary design decision.

Hugstable

Banned
Good morning SteamGAF. I'm still happy I beat O&S last night, honestly what an amazing battle it is. My hands were literally shaking for like 2 minutes after the fight was done and I was just yelling "YAAAAAAS" for like a minute after I beat them. Today, the adventure continues! I'm a bit sad that everyone says the rest of the game is super easy now, even if I did get stuck on one area of the game for a week. Seeing that Victory Achieved after beating that fight might have been the greatest two words I'd ever seen.

8QwXHsM.jpg

praying_hands_1_.jpg

I shall pray for you, Milamber. May your soul soon see relief from this torment.

XD Oh lordy... How many actually bought this hahahaha

Good morning SteamGAF. I'm still happy I beat O&S last night, honestly what an amazing battle it is. My hands were literally shaking for like 2 minutes after the fight was done and I was just yelling "YAAAAAAS" for like a minute after I beat them. Today, the adventure continues! I'm a bit sad that everyone says the rest of the game is super easy now, even if I did get stuck on one area of the game for a week. Seeing that Victory Achieved after beating that fight might have been the greatest two words I'd ever seen.

I think I remember at least one more relatively difficult part.

Nabs

Super easy? I wouldn't say that. You have a lot of great content to experience.

Dambrosi

Banned

*Amazing chest ahead*

Vuze

Hm, is there a way to see an exact list of all subs I have on my Steam account? SteamDB is able to show AppIDs but I haven't found a way to list the exact SubIDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom