• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning SteamGAF. I'm still happy I beat O&S last night, honestly what an amazing battle it is. My hands were literally shaking for like 2 minutes after the fight was done and I was just yelling "YAAAAAAS" for like a minute after I beat them. Today, the adventure continues! I'm a bit sad that everyone says the rest of the game is super easy now, even if I did get stuck on one area of the game for a week. Seeing that Victory Achieved after beating that fight might have been the greatest two words I'd ever seen.

YOU DID IT! I'm so proud! My good luck post must have really helped you :D

The game does get easier from then on out, but there's still some challenge; don't worry!

Oh man, Dark Souls is incredible. I want to play it again... I only just beat it about a month ago, and I'm getting urges to go through as a magic based class.

Must clear my backlog first..

Hugstable

Banned
Super easy? I wouldn't say that. You have a lot of great content to experience.

I think I remember at least one more relatively difficult part.

I like the sound of that then. The Lord Vessel might be the greatest item of the game so far. Now to figure where to go next... I think I can head to the Catacombs, Dark Root Basin, or the Demon Ruins. What do you guys think?

*Amazing chest ahead*

dat chest

Nabs

I like the sound of that then. The Lord Vessel might be the greatest item of the game so far. Now to figure where to go next... I think I can head to the Catacombs, Dark Root Basin, or the Demon Ruins. What do you guys think?

dat chest

How are you approaching the game? Blind? Guide? Guide for optional bosses?

Altazor

Good morning SteamGAF. I'm still happy I beat O&S last night, honestly what an amazing battle it is. My hands were literally shaking for like 2 minutes after the fight was done and I was just yelling "YAAAAAAS" for like a minute after I beat them. Today, the adventure continues! I'm a bit sad that everyone says the rest of the game is super easy now, even if I did get stuck on one area of the game for a week. Seeing that Victory Achieved after beating that fight might have been the greatest two words I'd ever seen.

now you can experience the DLC, which has THE BEST (THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST) boss battles in the game.

And there's still plenty of challenge in the base game, a couple of areas that can give you a bit of a hard time unless you know what you're doing (as in "I know how to take a shortcut so I can avoid like 90% of this area lol")

enjoy!

Somax

Yesterday I finished my first playthrough of Dark Souls 2, and I'm slightly disappointed.
Not many inspired locations, some rougher mechanics and collision handling and a general sense of lack of polish.
But I cannot dislike it totally, since I believe it has the best implementation of the online/covenant component of all souls games, a better, more streamlined upgrade system and some nice battles...

Going to delve into Shovel Knight now, I think I'll be back for NG+ once the dlc hits.

Hugstable

Banned
How are you approaching the game? Blind? Guide? Guide for optional bosses?

Blind, except for a video I watched to help me a bit with O&S. I feel a game like this is played best when blind since it's all about exploring every little nook and cranny for useful items, shortcuts, and weapons.

now you can experience the DLC, which has THE BEST (THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST) boss battles in the game.

And there's still plenty of challenge in the base game, a couple of areas that can give you a bit of a hard time unless you know what you're doing (as in "I know how to take a shortcut so I can avoid like 90% of this area lol")

enjoy!

When am I able to access the DLC content? What is the DLC content anyway? I'm assuming it's also fitted into the overall world like every other area is?

Yesterday I finished my first playthrough of Dark Souls 2, and I'm slightly disappointed.
Not many inspired locations, some rougher mechanics and collision handling and a general sense of lack of polish.
But I cannot dislike it totally, since I believe it has the best implementation of the online/covenant component of all souls games, a better, more streamlined upgrade system and some nice battles...

Going to delve into Shovel Knight now, I think I'll be back for NG+ once the dlc hits.

I'm still very excited to move on to Dark Souls 2 because of the 60 FPS awesomeness when I tried the game out just to see how it ran the other day. Plus I should have pretty good timing since the first DLC should be coming out right when I'm playing DS2!

Nabs

Blind, except for a video I watched to help me a bit with O&S. I feel a game like this is played best when blind since it's all about exploring every little nook and cranny for useful items, shortcuts, and weapons.

In that case, don't listen to us. Do whatever you want.

When am I able to access the DLC content? What is the DLC content anyway? I'm assuming it's also fitted into the overall world like every other area is?

Not really. It's extremely easy to miss.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
it will resolve to retro
Oh right, both the Steam game name and the giveaway title will be converted to Retro, so that's fine.

It will, yes, I have some safeguards against stuff that will prevent that kind of thing from being an issue. The rule exists because of Capcom / Ubisoft's nonsense. Search for Valiant Hearts and you'll see what I mean.
Good man, you think of everything. I know what you mean, the Resident Evil games are the same, featuring freaking abominations for a title.

Altazor

It's triggered by a small questline and after you access it, you can warp to/from its bonfires any time you'd like.

A small question: have you battled the Hydra in Darkroot Basin yet?

I loved it, but it's true that it could be better, specially collision detection was awful at times.

I've just started playing some State of Decay recently. It has some really cool ideas in it (with all the glut of Action / RPG or Shooter / RPG combos having something that's more like Action / Simulation is pretty nifty) but the whole "time keeps running when the game is off" is really messing with my head. I tend to game in shorter chunks and often with some long breaks in between days where I'll play. Is my town going to be totally messed up and I'm going to miss missions if I don't play for a week or so? On one level I applaud an interesting design choice, but on the other, I don't think that I'm really down with a single player game that punished me for not playing it for a while.

Shadownet

Banned
So what'd you think of Wolf among us ep. 5 brah?

Oh yeah I saw your earlier post. :) I love it. Probably my 2nd favorite episode after the 1st one. Everything felt satisfyingly concluded with a little bit of mystery left behind.

I really hope there will be a season 2. :)
I'll probably write a review for this later.

------

May I ask what cartoon is your avatar from mate? :)

RP912

Banned
Nothing like waking up in the early morning and playing euro truck simulator to some smooth jazz.

I'm scoping hard on that car mechanic simulator game thats on sale but.....I dunno.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I've just started playing some State of Decay recently. It has some really cool ideas in it (with all the glut of Action / RPG or Shooter / RPG combos having something that's more like Action / Simulation is pretty nifty) but the whole "time keeps running when the game is off" is really messing with my head. I tend to game in shorter chunks and often with some long breaks in between days where I'll play. Is my town going to be totally messed up and I'm going to miss missions if I don't play for a week or so? On one level I applaud an interesting design choice, but on the other, I don't think that I'm really down with a single player game that punished me for not playing it for a while.

They actually nerfed most of the time-keeps-going-while-you're-away functionality because people complained their precious characters died without them. Mostly what you'll find is that when you come back you have a lot less influence, but still more than you need, and might need to do some resource scavenging. Also the effect of not playing maxes out after a few days so there's no difference between skipping a week and skipping a month.

Hugstable

Banned
It's triggered by a small questline and after you access it, you can warp to/from its bonfires any time you'd like.

A small question: have you battled the Hydra in Darkroot Basin yet?

Hydra? Now I haven't. I've only been in Darkroot Garden where you fight the Butterfly. I've been down to the starting area of Basin, but haven't actually explored it yet. Same with the Demon Ruins.

HoosTrax

This game title really bugs me for some reason.

header_292x136.jpg

Terran? Terrain?

Kind of like "Bionic Dues". "Dues"? Don't you mean "Deus"?!

Grief.exe

Okay, new game search system is deployed, so you should see better art matching and better HOT tag matching assuming you don't screw up the name of the game you send. :) Note that giveaways are still capped to 4 banner images by design.

Stump works very fast! I'm certainly impressed.

They actually nerfed most of the time-keeps-going-while-you're-away functionality because people complained their precious characters died without them. Mostly what you'll find is that when you come back you have a lot less influence, but still more than you need, and might need to do some resource scavenging. Also the effect of not playing maxes out after a few days so there's no difference between skipping a week and skipping a month.

That's very interesting. I'm glad they throttled that mechanic a bit as my playing has Ben more sporadic lately.

Ohh, that's really good to hear. I was just worried about having to rebuild and stock the basics of my town every time that I logged on and thus never being able to move things forward.

It is a very fun game as well. Mashing the basic structure of State of Decay with a richer environment (like some areas like the mall in Dead Rising) and a bit more depth to the combat would be a near perfect game in my book. Might just be that I'm a sucker for games with base building aspect though.

JakeD

not sure if you guys are joking but

due
d(y)o͞o
noun
plural noun: dues
1.a person's right; what is owed to someone.
"he attracts more criticism than is his due"
synonyms: rightful treatment, fair treatment, just punishment; More
2.an obligatory payment; a fee.

i agree though that naming your game Terrian Saga: KR-17 is a surefire way to make sure no one can ever find it in steam's search

user237

This game title really bugs me for some reason.

header_292x136.jpg

Terran? Terrain?

Kind of like "Bionic Dues". "Dues"? Don't you mean "Deus"?!

I would've guess Terran and that the game was a space shooter, but it seems to be a throw-random-syllables together name for whatever this Saga is about.

Shadownet

Banned
not sure if you guys are joking but

due
d(y)o͞o
noun
plural noun: dues
1.a person's right; what is owed to someone.
"he attracts more criticism than is his due"
synonyms: rightful treatment, fair treatment, just punishment; More
2.an obligatory payment; a fee.

Yeah but what is a Bionic Dues?

Bionic Dudes make a bit more sense. Sounds like a shoot em up.

Saty

I wonder if Ars was threatened or something because after their first article about Seam figures they went silent.

Tizoc

Oh yeah I saw your earlier post. :) I love it. Probably my 2nd favorite episode after the 1st one. Everything felt satisfyingly concluded with a little bit of mystery left behind.

I really hope there will be a season 2. :)
I'll probably write a review for this later.

------

May I ask what cartoon is your avatar from mate? :)

It's from Gravity Falls, Season 2 starts airing in August.

How'd you feel about the ending and the speculations that
Nerissa is actually dead? I think if anything that really was Nerissa and that Faith told her about her encounter with Bigby before Faith died

That is probably a good thing for me cause I am on like lvl 6 or 7 of that dlc that lets you replay the game over and over on harder difficulties but it has probably been a few months since I have played lol...

They should have done more to keep that mode interesting.

Aaron D.

Nothing like waking up in the early morning and playing euro truck simulator to some smooth jazz.

I'm scoping hard on that car mechanic simulator game thats on sale but.....I dunno.

Car Mechanic Simulator is a gem of a game. I'd comfortably say that it ranks in the rare, top-tier of the sim genre, with presentation values that far exceed the low-expectation standards of the genre.

Just dial the mouse-look sensitivity to 1/4! The game has a strange standard setting for mouse acceleration.

There's a demo linked off of the Steam page. Give it a try.

It's from Gravity Falls, Season 2 starts airing in August.

How'd you feel about the ending and the speculations that THE SPOILERZ

oh boy, I had no clue what game the spoiler was referring to so I click the post you quoted and it was for the wolf among us :x still haven't played that game lol. Its a good thing I'm just AWFUL with names. I'll most likely end up forgetting that by the time I play the game. I gotta be more careful next time

Strider

Just completed Bastion. Solid game but nothing special IMO. Love the art style, music and the story was fairly interesting... but the gameplay/combat really was a drag at times. I have no desire to play new game+ but I'm glad I got the chance to play through it once. 7.5/10

RP912

Banned
Car Mechanic Simulator is a gem of a game. I'd comfortably say that it ranks in the rare, top-tier of the sim genre, with presentation values that far exceed the low-expectation standards of the genre.

Just dial the mouse-look sensitivity to 1/4! The game has a strange standard setting for mouse acceleration.

There's a demo linked off of the Steam page. Give it a try.

Thanks I'll give it a try. It's been on the radar for a minute since I saw Lazy Game Review video for it.

Just completed Bastion. Solid game but nothing special IMO. Love the art style, music and the story was fairly interesting... but the gameplay/combat really was a drag at times. I have no desire to play new game+ but I'm glad I got the chance to play through it once. 7.5/10

yea 100% agree with you. I'd give it a 7/10. I think i was a little more than half way through the game and I started to get a bit bored with it and just wanted to finish it.

according to steam enchanted getgames has it for $40 and it activates on steam as well. I've never used that site though

Grief.exe

I wonder if Ars was threatened or something because after their first article about Seam figures they went silent.

They did do a followup article a week later.

It takes them months to assemble their data due to the method. They may just be preparing for a new article.

The music in Risk of Rain is superb I haven't' even played today and it's already stuck in my head.

The music is amazing.

There's an interesting article over at thebitpulse.com about the sales impact that an Early Access game receives once it hits Steam.

http://thebitpulse.com/2014/07/crea-proves-that-steam-launches-are-still-powerful/

Bonus points to them for using Enhanced Steam in their primary screenshot.

Thanks for sharing, I'll read it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom