• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

Why do they give money away for free, though?
What's the caveat?

It fills up steam threads really quickly with people bragging/complaining.
(Also, it's free advertising, and they get some data from you)

Thanks for always posting the deals so quickly!

You're welcome.

Speaking of which, someone's going to have to take over tomorrow, and probably do the humble bundle too (altho I hope to be back home from the doc's by then)

Finally built my first PC over Sunday/Monday and thought I'd say hi.

I've amassed a fairly lowly 186 games on Steam in the 2 years I've been using it, and for the most part, I couldn't play any of them on my old Mac. Even TF2 at lowest settings and a very low resolution was unplayable.

Fast forward to the new PC and I'm amazed - I haven't even got my GPU yet and I've been dipping my toes into TF2 and DOTA. I'm a little scared of DOTA, but I want to see what all the fuss is about.

When I get my GPU, what FPS do you think I should try first to get my head around M+K? I've never really played PC games before, so this is all new to me. I've got Half Life, HL2, the Portal games, L4D2, etc, plus the Metro games. Where do I even start? WHAT DO I DO GUYS.

tl;dr completely new to pc gaming it's great but help

Try Portal 1 first. Like others said, it's requires some precision but is quite slow. Half Life isn't too bad choice either.

Grim Fandango HD is an instabuy.

Very good

Quite a few good deals on humble as well (EU prices)
Banished 7,49€
Dust 2,49€
Eldritch 1,79€
Psychonauts 2,49€

Before I pull the trigger, and I'm sure that I know the answer, is it better to play the Ys games on the Vita or PC? I always planned to get them on PC but I recently picked up a Vita so I may as well check if it's better to play it on the Vita because of the OLED screen.

Rezae

I've played a few hours of Origins, it's great so far. Dunno if it's as good as Oath as that's my favorite, but just like all the Ys games, they're no-brainers, especially when discounted. Definitely buy.

marrec

Banned
Before I pull the trigger, and I'm sure that I know the answer, is it better to play the games on the Vita or PC? I always planned to get them on PC but I recently picked up a Vita so I may as well check if it's better to play it on the Vita because of the OLED screen.

Most games released on Vita play better on Vita. None of the games listed are on Vita though.

(By that I mean indie PC games, not HD collections *stares hard and Jak and Daxter*)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It looks like the Sony press conference was on June 9th. Maybe they sold a lot of PS4s to PC gamers who desperately wanted Grim Fandango during that month of exclusivity. :)

I think they just wanted to throw DF under the PC hate bus for a month. Which is kinda fucked.

Before I pull the trigger, and I'm sure that I know the answer, is it better to play the Ys games on the Vita or PC? I always planned to get them on PC but I recently picked up a Vita so I may as well check if it's better to play it on the Vita because of the OLED screen.

Ys Oath in Felghana is a PSP game, so it'll obviously look a lot better on PC, OLED or not.
Ys Origin is only on PC, and it doesn't really matter for Ys 1 and 2 since they're 2D sprite based.

I'd say buy them on PC unless you want them portable.

kiyomi

Dota 2 is the best game ever made but if you ever want to finish those other ones you'd better stay away from it for a while. You should definitely watch The International tournament though, it started yesterday and even has a newbie-friendly stream.

Yeah, I actually caught a little bit of that newbie stream. Game definitely seems interesting but that's probably good advice to put it on the backburner while I make my through a bunch of SP games.

Congratulations on building your first PC! Hope you get to enjoy everything the platform has to offer!

This thread is a good place to start as far as FPS recommendations.

Thank you!

Portal would be a good start. Slow-paced, but requires some precision in places. Would be a great game to get the hang of keyboard/mouse. Just out of curiosity - what are the specs of your PC?

Seems like a good suggestion - right now I'm getting completely destroyed playing TF2.

As for specs, it's an i5-4690K with a Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD, Gigabyte Z97M-D3H, Cooler Master V450S in a Fractal Design Define Mini and the GPU will be an R7 265. I went for a budget GPU thinking that I'd upgrade a bit when the Witcher 3 hits. Generic m+k if I'm honest.

It's weird using Windows - I've been solely on Macs for the past 10 years. @_@

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
"Reap your heart out! We're pleased to announce Grim Fandango will also be available on PC, Mac, and Linux alongside PlayStation 4 and Vita!"

Double Fine just tweeted
Good thing I'm on the bathroom right now. Otherwise I would have needed to change my underwear.

I'm finally going to be able to play this game. I never thought this day would come.

Copons

Jesus C. Penney, I went to the eye doctor and he gave me the most psychedelic drops ever, the world is now all like the first batch of previous gen games, like Oblivion or something, with all that awful super glow on any lightened surface.
Also meanwhile my website went down because of some internal server error and I cannot fix it because I don't see shit, and all in all I don't even know why (or how) I'm writing this here, but fuck me I don't know anything anymore it's already a miracle I got home driving a motorcycle I guess

Good thing I'm on the bathroom right now. Otherwise I would have needed to change my underwear.

I'm finally going to be able to play this game. I never thought this day would come.

You actually can right now via residualvm, but everyone should buy the shit outta the remaster anyway.

Tizoc

You shmucks better buy these Ys games, if I so much as see anyone in my friendlist who still has this wishlisted, ya'all blocked from future giveaways, ya hear!

Either is fine! I started with Oath in Felghana on Vita, and had a blast, and I'm sure the PC ver. will be just as much of a kickass experience! Ys 1 and 2's gameplay is not gonna sit well with everyone, so if you want a pure action adventure game, get Oath (Ys 3) and Origins at least!

I can't recommend the Ys games enough.

Dota 2 is the best game ever made but if you ever want to finish those other ones you'd better stay away from it for a while. You should definitely watch The International tournament though, it started yesterday and even has a newbie-friendly stream.

Cool didn't realize it was the international already. I've never tried a moba but I watched free to play the other night and it seems interesting. And since every bombcast is 50% Dota talk I guess this is the time to see what it's all about

marrec

Banned

Is Eldritch any good? It's 85% off on the Humble Store right now and I have it in my wishlist for some reason.

Eldritch is really clever, especially with it's destructible environments and vertical levels. At that price it's hard to pass up as it's playable and completely enjoyable.

There are some negatives, it feels shallow for all the interacting mechanics and it gets easy once you find the perfect item build, but it's been months since I played and the dev has been updating it pretty regularly.

Yakkue

Jesus C. Penney, I went to the eye doctor and he gave me the most psychedelic drops ever, the world is now all like the first batch of previous gen games, like Oblivion or something, with all that awful super glow on any lightened surface.
Also meanwhile my website went down because of some internal server error and I cannot fix it because I don't see shit, and all in all I don't even know why (or how) I'm writing this here, but fuck me I don't know anything anymore it's already a miracle I got home driving a motorcycle I guess

..that sounds incredibly dangerous, glad you arrived home safe.
It would probably be best for your eyes if you'd let them rest for a bit instead of looking at a computer screen. Hope you'll get better soon!

Ys Oath in Felghana is a PSP game, so it'll obviously look a lot better on PC, OLED or not.
Ys Origin is only on PC, and it doesn't really matter for Ys 1 and 2 since they're 2D sprite based.

I'd say buy them on PC unless you want them portable.

I'd personally rather play Oath on Vita but that's my own bias. It's a PSP game on Vita whereas on PC it's actually a very good PC port.

Get it on PC.

You shmucks better buy these Ys games, if I so much as see anyone in my friendlist who still has this wishlisted, ya'all blocked from future giveaways, ya hear!

Either is fine! I started with Oath in Felghana on Vita, and had a blast, and I'm sure the PC ver. will be just as much of a kickass experience! Ys 1 and 2's gameplay is not gonna sit well with everyone, so if you want a pure action adventure game, get Oath (Ys 3) and Origins at least!

I can't recommend the Ys games enough.

That's +3 for my Steam count. Thanks for the replies!

Daily: Ys Origin 75% off
(Rest of the franchise also discounted)

Get this franchise if you haven't already. Incredible franchise for a great price.

But what if I'm new to the series and/or can only afford one?
Get Ys: Oath in Felghana. It's probably the most friendly to new players as far as gameplay and structure goes, and the story is largely self-contained, so you don't need to play I&II to understand what's going on.

A Ys decision.

UZtOGKl.png

Hehe, I've gotten the pupil dilation drops before (I'm guessing that's what you got). It takes hours for the effect to dissipate fully. Glad to hear you got home safely. Have you tried sunglasses?

JakeD

alien isolation, at least right now, is giftable and doesnt appear to be region locked . traders will probably have it for around $28/13 keys. i would wait for confirmation (by people who are better at looking this stuff up than i am) before purchasing though

Hugstable

Banned
Honestly, I've just given up. I've won a total of 3 times, the first being the first day. The first time I won, I had no problems using the card. The second and third times I won (the latest being yesterday) I was given a card with a $0 balance each time.

It's not worth the hassle for me to call their non-toll-free number to try to get the issue resolved, so I've just decided to stop trying.

I somehow just won for the second day in a row somehow after losing for over a week straight. Was even able to add 5$ to my Steam Wallet using the one yesterday via Paypal. It wasn't working yesterday when I won it for some reason, but it's working today -_-

wetflame

Pizza Dog
alien isolation, at least right now, is giftable and doesnt appear to be region locked . traders will probably have it for around $27/13 keys. i would wait for confirmation (by people who are better at looking this stuff up than i am) before purchasing though

That's what I'm seeing on TF2 Outpost currently, and yeah, doesn't appear to have a region lock according to SteamDB.

Damn, the Ys franchise is a daily. 75% off each game. Go get them folks and hope for some more Falcom stuff.

EDIT: It's the Ys-iest decision you'll ever make. Sorry couldn't help myself.

yuraya

Enjoy

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (yuraya, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Assassins Creed IV Black Flag -- MB-D14E00E55F1A55FE - Taken by KainXVIII

t1404938091z1.png

Shantom

A Ys decision.

You guys aren't helping newbies to pronounce Ys ya know.

It Ys pronounced differently.

Looks like someone has a Ys infection.

Ys up on the Ys puns plYs.

god these puns are chYsy

Ys and dYsist?

Damn, the Ys franchise is a daily. 75% off each game. Go get them folks and hope for some more Falcom stuff.

EDIT: It's the Ys-iest decision you'll ever make. Sorry couldn't help myself.

Stop it guYS

Just go PC version.

Ys Felghana PC runs at 60 fps over the PSP version's 25-30. PC version also looks extremely clean and nice, none of that nasty dithering PSP games tend to have.
Origins is PC-exclusive.
Ys 1 & 2 on Steam is much cheaper than the PSP version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom