• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Joke.
(Also see: Batman Oranges, Hitman Asspollution, etc)

Batman Oranges has nothing on my freshly squeezed Silent Hill Oranges.

Oranges.png

Back from PT.
Thanks for filling in on the Groupees IBM bundle, Deques.

About the GIF quoting stuff. I personally don't mind the one gif now and then, the problem comes from when people quote the post the gif was in over and over again, filling sometimes whole pages with the same image.
So, if people want to post a big gif, it would help if everyone started to actually use img-quotes, like so:

It doesn't take long, and it helps keep the overload down.
Some of you already do, and for that, I salute you ;)

Hope the PT went well dude.

And yes, we all need to get on board with this. Nothing like a page full of NOPE gifs. I've tried getting used to this as well.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just finished up "Aperture Tag: The Paint Gun Testing Initiative" a recently released game. Here are my thoughts:

I think this game kind of proves that it's a bad idea to turn a mod into a commercial product unless you are supported by an actual development team. While this is polished by mod standards, it's not polished by paid game standards and it's certainly not polished by Valve-made Portal content standards. There is painfully bad voice-acting accompanied by painfully bad writing. The titular "paint gun" has an unattractive model that feels low poly and lacking in detail. There just isn't the type of design flow I expect in a puzzle game where concepts are built upon each other in a natural way. It just feels like a bunch of rooms duct-taped together (one example of this would be a room that requires you to figure out a mechanic that is used just once in the game and never really hinted at prior to being needed). Even the visuals feel crude most of the time, particularly when they move beyond just using the Portal 2 assets.

Don't get me wrong, the concept is really neat and could totally justify a small Portal 1-size game, but this just isn't that game. The occasional moments of good, satisfying content just don't come often enough to make the 7$ asking price even remotely worthwhile. I don't think I'd even bother telling my Steam Family to check it out over Family Sharing.

Ban Puncher

Not as bad as Bad Rats. Maybe.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Man Puncher, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Need for Speed Undercover -- MB-0A6DB5F041D94D97 - Taken by ImSooFlye. 15 entrants total.

t1406136519z1.png

Sorry about that. I had to do it for the MULTIENTRY flag.
Haha, no need to feel sorry. Was a lame joke.
You are doing something very generous and unlike me it's high-profile games you're giving away. And folks who didn't win deserve better chances, it's totally fair.
Besides I won so many great games, I have no right to complain at all.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished up "Aperture Tag: The Paint Gun Testing Initiative" a recently released game. Here are my thoughts:

I think this game kind of proves that it's a bad idea to turn a mod into a commercial product unless you are supported by an actual development team. While this is polished by mod standards, it's not polished by paid game standards and it's certainly not polished by Valve-made Portal content standards. There is painfully bad voice-acting accompanied by painfully bad writing. The titular "paint gun" has an unattractive model that feels low poly and lacking in detail. There just isn't the type of design flow I expect in a puzzle game where concepts are built upon each other in a natural way. It just feels like a bunch of rooms duct-taped together (one example of this would be a room that requires you to figure out a mechanic that is used just once in the game and never really hinted at prior to being needed). Even the visuals feel crude most of the time, particularly when they move beyond just using the Portal 2 assets.

Don't get me wrong, the concept is really neat and could totally justify a small Portal 1-size game, but this just isn't that game. The occasional moments of good, satisfying content just don't come often enough to make the 7$ asking price even remotely worthwhile. I don't think I'd even bother telling my Steam Family to check it out over Family Sharing.
I was going to ask if this feels like a game worth getting on sale for $2, but your last sentence answered that for me. Guess I'll have to take it out of my wishlist.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hey Stump, is it possible to create a rule like PayItFoward where its either

1) You have to gift away a game BEFORE the raffle is registered, otherwise even if you try to do it afterward. It wouldn't count toward that raffle.

This might be possible

2) Or keep everything the same, but make it so that you have to gift away a game that is $5-10 to be able to qualify. Since Modbot can detect when a game is over $30 right? would it be able to detect smaller amount?

ModBot tries to detect when games are over $30 but it's still a very imperfect process and I don't feel super comfortable trying to apply it to actual rules. One problem is this: How much is, say, Kairo or whatever? Well, the intuitive answer is that it's one of 10 games in a $1.50 bundle so it's $0.15. Except that Steam thinks it is $5, so ModBot is going to read $5. Or let's do an even more gratuitous example; Hitman Absolution is a $20 game. Yesterday you could have bought it for $6 with 10+ other games.

ModBot obviously can't instantly and forever know what you paid for something, only what the value is on Steam. Even when stuff goes on sale on Steam, ModBot still has the game catalogue data cached. I could try to pull the lowest price data to try to help resolve this, but that's not really fair either, because when someone gives away a game they paid $5-10 for, they shouldn't be punished because say 2 years ago it was in a bundle with other games, right?

Also prices are only detected when you get the game name right. If you typo or screw it up or do it as a mystery giveaway or something, obviously all bets are off. It'd also only be limited to Steam games, since when Shovel Knight goes in a bundle on PC it'll still be $15 on Wii U and I wouldn't want to "punish" someone giving away a Wii U copy just because the game is widely available on PC, right? Like, how much credit would the anonymous person who gave away a $400 cell phone get?

And, like, obviously these are problems that could be remedied with lots of administrative oversight, but there's two problems that raises. First is that I am not being paid to do this and I already hate actually working for a living, so I'm not sure why I'd take something that's basically a terrible data entry job in exchange for no money--data entry isn't an interesting programming experience, either. Second is that if a human judgment call gets incorporated, suddenly the process doesn't feel impartial and then people need to decide if they trust me. I don't want to earn people's trust, which is why I made a system that works equally if you permanently block me because you hate my guts or if you think I'm practically better than montreal smoked meat.

Finally, and I know this isn't really what you were suggesting. I'm not sure I like the precedent of building the system so that people are incentivized to spend huge amounts of money giving away games, and then would-be recipients are incentivized to spend huge amounts of money to gamble for a chance at winning them. Like, I like the fact that it's possible to be a pretty frequent modbot participant, be relatively fair about giving away things as you win, but not need to invest and not need to feel burned if you don't win something. I don't want people to feel like there's two classes of user, poor users who fight for table scraps, and rich users who mutually benefit one another but exclude the rest with a steep buy-in. If we assume that recipients are a charity, a world where ModBot requires real cash to buy into ends up looking like some sort of church charity raffle.

I just think about taking the capital meritocracy to its logical end point... I would never implement something like "Pay $5 to get an extra shot at winning this giveaway" or whatever business model gambling type sites do--I mean, could you imagine what it could come to? Imagine ModBot as 50/50 F2P system, where some people "play" to enter while other people "buy" to enter, and the money raised gets shared with the giver? And people are making profit giving stuff away? It'd be like a penny auction service or some other disgusting gambling setup. Ugh. Gross.

(I know none of this is what you're proposing, but I'm a pretty analytical person and it serves my purposes better to walk through my thought process rather than just answering directly).

I think they are in for quite a surprise if they are doing so to acquire what I posted.

I entered yours because I love that image! :D
Last I gave away was Remember Me i think, and before that I won a $5 game on the steam sale.

I think I qualify to your raffle, but I'm honestly not sure!

GaussTek

I saw that Mastiff is going to give away Gurumin keys once the game is Greenlit and out on Steam if you voted for it.

But, I also read here that other devs/publishers are doing this too? What other games?

HoosTrax

A single launcher for all of these would have been nice...

fmA20A8.png

As in, have a single Race 07 library listing, and once you launch the game, you'd be able to jump into which expansion you wanted to play.

Other NFS games are discounted as well

Need for Speed: Shift and Shift 2 unleashed, etc are at $4.99.

I'll probably buy them in winter sale, still need to finish Grid 2.

Man I wish they had Underground 2 and Most Wanted (the first one). I'd be all over those.

Doesn't ModBot automatically have a 15-minute throttle or something?

Does it? I was just going by what it said in the ModBot Guide:

MULTIENTRY
If you are giving away multiple keys and want the same person to be able to enter for and win more than one (this may be especially useful with a RAFFLE; combine with NOWINNERSDAILY so that people can enter for multiple games in a RAFFLE but only win one), use this rule.​

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A single launcher for all of these would have been nice...

fmA20A8.png

As in, have a single Race 07 library listing, and once you launch the game, you'd be able to jump into which expansion you wanted to play.

I think more games should be split up like this. :p

Hey Stump, is it possible to create a rule like PayItFoward where its either

1) You have to gift away a game BEFORE the raffle is registered, otherwise even if you try to do it afterward. It wouldn't count toward that raffle.

2) Or keep everything the same, but make it so that you have to gift away a game that is $5-10 to be able to qualify. Since Modbot can detect when a game is over $30 right? would it be able to detect smaller amount?

Issue with number 2 is that technically most of the Bundle Fodder has MSRP higher than 5-10.

Vuze

The page does say it comes with a second and third game. ;)
:>
Hey everyone - I've been out for a couple of days, did I miss anything exciting? I see that the new episode of The Walking Dead is out - can't wait to play it.

In the mean time, I'm working on this:
That's a pretty cool feature, very handy!

I recently hit 1,000 games on Steam so I thought I should give a little back to BestGAF.

*Note: Warlock 2 is the Great Mage Edition and not the plain version.

And no, this is not so I can enter the Arkham Knight giveaway. I am not entering it.
Congrats and nice giveaway :)
Arkham Knight isn't even out on Steam tho, is it?

I haven't finished the game yet and probably won't. It's sadly not as intriguing as I thought it would be. But certainly worth a shot for <5$.

Zafir

Dupes from the humble bundle -

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Zafir, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hitman Absolution -- MB-964E957A5F687527 - Taken by iosefe. 10 entrants total.
Deus Ex Invisible War -- MB-AC79188AAAA04FC2 - Taken by lfvgt. 4 entrants total.

t1406136996z1.png

Enjoy. :)

Edit: And lol, no this isn't to put myself into the Arkham giveaway. I haven't even finished the first 3, why in the world would I want the fourth. xD

Shadownet

Banned
This might be possible

[Paragraphs]

Thank you for sharing your thought process with us Stump, really help. I figured that 2) was a bit impractical and unfair.

But do you think you can look into whether 1) was possible?

Oh and by the way, when I tried doing Megagivers and PayItForward together earlier. None of it registered in the raffle. So I had to make a new one with only PayItForward. Is it a bug?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
From the latest Steam changelog:

Major update of embedded web browser to increase performance, reliability, and to bring in various security fixes and functionality updates

Games can now be assigned to more than one category at a time

Whaaaaaa?

derExperte

http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791433918461#announcements/detail/246888230388336240

Steam Client Beta Update - July 23rd
23 JULY - ALFRED
We're beginning a new Steam Client Beta today which includes the following changes.

General
Major update of embedded web browser to increase performance, reliability, and to bring in various security fixes and functionality updates
Fixed in-game progress indicators for workshop downloads displaying incorrect percentages for compressed files

Library
In desktop library details, list, and small views, games can be multiply selected using shift-click and control-click and certain operations can be performed on the group

oh no, jshackled
but I have a link, ha!

I'm pretty sure mine was because I just bought the new Indie Royale bundle and I already had Stealth Bastard.

Prove it and take my Paradigm Shift from earlier!!!

Caerith

If I had like a billion more hours of free time in my life, I'd just go ahead and start a Steam competitor and put all of these changes in place from the word go. Sadly I don't think I'd get anywhere without at least the majority of publishers agreeing to give people copies of their games on my service if they already purchased them on Steam. At this point, I don't think anyone really wants to start their library over from scratch unless there is a damn good reason for them to want to do so.
It's the publishers that would be the problem, really, as always.

I'm still wondering why Dead Island Epidemic didn't get the shit icon yet. Ain't nobody want that shit!
Dead Island Epidemic is actually kinda fun. It's just there are so many copies of it floating around that anybody who wants it probably already has it.

Nzyme32

Massive beta update for the client

General
Fixed in-game progress indicators for workshop downloads displaying incorrect percentages for compressed files

Library
In desktop library details, list, and small views, games can be multiply selected using shift-click and control-click and certain operations can be performed on the group

Mac OS X
This update ends support for Mac OS X 10.5

Linux
Added support for entering custom network settings in Big Picture
Fixed audio being lost when alt-tabbing
Fixed crash when doing a voice chat if you did not have a network connection
Fixed launching SteamVR games

Big Picture
Updated various visual styles across Big Picture including focus treatments
Limit daisy wheel input to numeric entries where appropriate
Improved gamepad navigation through checkout
Fixed custom icons for streaming non-Steam games
Fixed crash when enabling parental controls
Fixed scroll bars disappearing on some EULA pages after scrolling to the left
Fixed daisy wheel adding multiple periods after pressing space twice to end a sentence
Fixed automatic capitalization getting stuck enabled in daisy wheel
Fixed a bug preventing the user from changing payment methods if their stored credit card has expired

In-Home Streaming
Added support for NVIDIA hardware encoding for D3D9+ games on GeForce 650+ cards and the latest beta NVIDIA driver (340.43)
Added support for horizontal mouse wheel scrolling
Fixed YUV colorspace conversion when using DXVA2 hardware decoding
Disabled vsync while streaming for a smoother capture framerate
Fixed games detecting both local and streaming controllers; streaming controllers take precedence if they are connected.
Fixed being able to scroll the right and bottom edges of a map in certain resolutions
Fixed Steam crash streaming from a host with an i5-3450 CPU
Fixed streaming games from Steam when it has been put in Windows XP compatibility mode

Steam Music Beta
Making Steam Music available to everyone using a Steam Beta Client
Introducing user interface to Steam Music for the Steam Client
Improved crawling of music files
Enabled media keyboard keys on Windows

Edit - I'm always too far behind yu guys these days

F-Pina

Fellow gaffers.
Is there any way anyone here can help me get my game to TotalBicuit?
We sent him a Steam code and we tweeted on our tweeter account a call out but we need more strenght, more numbers! We need MOAR!
It would be so awesome to get a "WTF is..." video of his to push sales.

Can you guys help out? I promise I will do another giveaway if we get there :D
Here is our Tweeter account - https://twitter.com/Nerd_Monkeys
Thanks!

PriitV

Massive beta update for the client

Library

0_o

Deques

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wonder if their newest embedded browser supports the latest webkit javascript objects. If so this means a lot more functionality for those of you using the Enhanced Steam Standalone application.

I'm also a little bothered by people acting as if there's something wrong with doing an anonymous giveaway. There are any number of reasons why someone would want to do that.

My number one reason for not doing them too much is customization, that's why I was testing the comments while disaster stroke!

Caerith

I'm also a little bothered by people acting as if there's something wrong with doing an anonymous giveaway. There are any number of reasons why someone would want to do that.

Agreed. It's pretty sad that nowadays you can't give away bundle leftovers without facing suspicion. It's starting to feel political.

I blame Snowball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom