• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Would having two Steam threads, one in Gaming and the other in Community, alleviate some of the issues that are causing friction between people? Steam news, game impressions and recommendations in one, pancake waifu haircut Modbot giveaways in the other.

The primary problem with separating the Stream thread into on-topic and off-topic branches is that the latter thread then ceases to have a reason to exist. ModBot giveaways aren't exactly a problem, I feel: sure, the more notable ones tend to attract a handful of posts expressing surprise, but this never lasts very long, and even if giveaways were shepherded to their own thread people would still repost the notable ones in the Steam thread, anyway, for the sake of a heads-up and they'd still receive the same sort of response.

he's serious.

Origins is awesome.

It's pretty good overall, and if you enjoyed AC, it's worth playing. Whether a game is fun/disappointing/Etc. may be subjective, but it's really hard to say that either AO or AC is terrible while praising the other as being amazing.

The story for AO actually manages to be engaging and has some emotional/surprising parts, something I found lacking in the previous games. It isn't realyl noteworthy when it comes to video game/comic book stories overall, but it's a considerable step up from AA and AC's stories.

Copons

Steak, fish, and lasagna are great foods for surviving Super Rush Hour. They're easy to prepare, they take a while to cook, and they can be sent off without any additional prep when they finish cooking (even if you're busy taking out the garbage). Slow-cooking items give you more time to deal with other customers.

Corndogs, coffee, and pretzels are easy to make, but they go out instantly, so you don't get any downtime before another order takes their place. These are the foods you use if you want a high combo.

EH BUT COME ON CAERITH, it's like you actively want more people up there at ~300! :D

Also, I've seen lots of people suggesting steak as a simple food, but I actually find it a huge pain in the ass, as there are too many combinations of multiple ingredients (I mean, like 3 of this, 4 of that).
I guess it's just me that I'm not able to count, but that's the same reason why I rarely use sushi or coffee. :(

AHA-Lambda

Well, now I feel obligated to write something down! Thanks to the people who showed interest. Here goes a spontaneous review attempt:

Betrayer is not what I thought it'd be. Looking at screenshots and the store page trailer, I thought it was some sort of stylish action RPG. I guess it kind of is, but it's also a detective game where you collect clues and interview witnesses. The trailer focuses on the stealth kills and such, making it look more action-packed, but it actually has quite a slow progression where it's often a better idea to skirt around the bad guys than it is to run in guns blazing. Muskets take kind of a while to reload... It's also something of a horror game, which I had no idea about going in.

The most striking thing is the visuals. Whether you play in black and white or not, as there is an option for it, it's very stylish. The colored mode has a HDR-inspired look with very bright and very dark colors, giving it a dreamy feel. I recommend playing an hour or two in BW, and then turning the color on, to get the best of both worlds in one playthrough. Personally, I loved the BW aesthetic, but found it a little hard to see the terrain and was happy to find that it's still decently aesthetically unique with the color turned up.

This is where the praise sort of stops, though. I'm torn on how much I actually like playing this game; it nails atmosphere and is creepy, at least for me, and I love seeing the lush and thick vegetation covering the forest you explore, but I'm also kind of bored with the gameplay progression. All you do is run around and try to find audio cues, as objects in the world give off a sound when you're close, since that's really the only viable way to find what you need. The vegetation is simply too lush and thick! The game's strength is also its weakness. It's even worse in the "other world", where draw distance has been reduced to basically the length of your character's arm and all you end up doing is mashing X to 'listen' (activate audio cues that tell you in which direction to go).

The same goes for the combat. I normally don't bother with stealth, because I couldn't really get it to work properly and the demonic conquistadors would find me even when I was crouchwalking only when the wind was blowing (which is how you're supposed to do it). They can also see you from miles away and come running at you before you even spot them, so for me the only option is to take the fight or sneak around it if possible. Since enemies stay dead while you're alive, but respawn if you die, the combat gets to be pretty tense and exciting, as you really don't want to have 15 guards spring back up, impeding your exploration. Especially considering you die in two melee hits, and the enemies are vicious! Being surrounded by three guys at once is a true "holy shit holy shit holy shit" moment that has me flailing and jumping around, trying to dodge their arrows while landing shots of my own.

To try and summarize; it's beautiful, creepy and cool, but a little too tedious and repetetive to play for like 5 hours straight. I'm enjoying doing about an hour a day, which equates to one of the 6-7 areas available, but after that I have to quit and play or do something else. At the price I paid, €4 on sale, it has been absolutely worth it for the style and atmosphere and I absolutely want to see where the story goes and learn who my character actually is, and who the maiden in red is. There is a lot of engaging mystery here, in my opinion, even if the gameplay itself isn't as engaging.

You need to ring the bell again. When you do it the first time, you get taken to the "other world" but the maiden in red wakes you up. Any time you do it after that, you can go back and forth at will and the maiden doesn't disturb you.

I played it for a few hours and the lack of any direction just killed it for me, I didn't even know what to do after the first fort; I got to the other world and saw I couldn't leave the fort and had no idea what to do. Explored for a bit after, kept getting killed trying to find a new area to explore, then just idled for the cards.

Ozium

You need to ring the bell again. When you do it the first time, you get taken to the "other world" but the maiden in red wakes you up. Any time you do it after that, you can go back and forth at will and the maiden doesn't disturb you.

Oh yeah.. I did that.. it's more about the venturing out into the wilderness and "listening" for things... like I've done that but all I seem to find are a couple more notes and some treasure chests... I feel like I'm running in circles

Yakkue

here's some quick impressions from about an hour of playing Planet Explorers..

Thanks a lot for your impressions! I'm still not sure if the game is for me, since I'm not really into crafting, but it does seem interesting from your write-up. I guess I'll keep a look-out for it once it leaves Early Access. I hope they put some more work into the quests.
Your screenshot does look great with all its colours. Any idea how big the world is / will be from what you've seen so far?

AO was made by WB Games Montreal and that may have contributed to differences like that one.
Yeah, taking the Arkham universe's lore and then spreading it out to two other developers(Arkham Origins guys and Arkham Origins: Blackgate guys) there's gonna be inconsistencies, like how thugs still scream and shout about how "BATMAN IS REAL?!" despite him being proven as real a while ago in AO.

Vuze

here's some quick impressions from about an hour of playing Planet Explorers (which, for this type of game, is nothing really).

I appreciate your write-up, game caught my interested when I saw it for the first time. I will probably wait until it's atleast in Beta or <10$ sale tho, not too much a fan of playing Alpha games.

The same goes for the combat. I normally don't bother with stealth, because I couldn't really get it to work properly and the demonic conquistadors would find me even when I was crouchwalking only when the wind was blowing (which is how you're supposed to do it). They can also see you from miles away and come running at you before you even spot them, so for me the only option is to take the fight or sneak around it if possible. Since enemies stay dead while you're alive, but respawn if you die, the combat gets to be pretty tense and exciting, as you really don't want to have 15 guards spring back up, impeding your exploration. Especially considering you die in two melee hits, and the enemies are vicious! Being surrounded by three guys at once is a true "holy shit holy shit holy shit" moment that has me flailing and jumping around, trying to dodge their arrows while landing shots of my own.

I think the combat really started to opening up for me when I got the weapon and item upgrades. I found that playing it like an FPS and less like a stealth game was far more enjoyable. I wish they didn't rely on the listening mechanic as much though, that definitely got a little tiresome towards the end.

Caerith

EH BUT COME ON CAERITH, it's like you actively want more people up there at ~300! :D

Also, I've seen lots of people suggesting steak as a simple food, but I actually find it a huge pain in the ass, as there are too many combinations of multiple ingredients (I mean, like 3 of this, 4 of that).
I guess it's just me that I'm not able to count, but that's the same reason why I rarely use sushi or coffee. :(

More people in the ~280 range would be fine :)

You have to take steak slowly and make sure you get it right. Fortunately, you get plenty of time to prepare your steak once you've got a bunch of other steaks already cooking.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Thanks a lot for your impressions! I'm still not sure if the game is for me, since I'm not really into crafting, but it does seem interesting from your write-up. I guess I'll keep a look-out for it once it leaves Early Access. I hope they put some more work into the quests.
Your screenshot does look great with all its colours. Any idea how big the world is / will be from what you've seen so far?

it seems ridiculously huge. I was on a tiny corner and it was already big, then opened the world map and yikes

also most screenshots out there show forrests, deserts, etc. Game is ambitious ill give it that. Also you can swim, I forgot to say that, seems like a small thing but you never know these days >_>

Deitus

its noones fault. there just seems to be a "trying too hard" vibe from a lot of the new people. Also how "waifunamis" still happen for example baffles me. First time it was funny, second time ok some people are annoyed, third time ok guys lets not to this again... but yet it keeps happening.

When was the last "waifunami"? I keep hearing all this bitching about how this thread is being drowned about by waifus and alpacas, but the most we've had in the last several days is a single gif (not of a waifu) that got quoted 3 or 4 times, and a handful of one off gifs that got ignored. In the same amount of time, we've had multiple several page arguments about how bad this thread is ruined by all of the waifus, which is frankly much more obnoxious.

And I don't think for the most part new people are trying to hard. I'm going to agree with morningbus here and say that they are acting consistently with how these threads have always been (that lines up with what I've observed when I lurked in Steam threads in the past), it's just that there are more people doing it now.

I don't think us vs. them is a very constructive attitude. We can definitely improve this thread, and work to cut down on the more excessive OT behavior. But if we keep pointing fingers and acting smug about it, it's just going to drive people away and turn SteamGAF into an exclusionary community. I really don't want it to come to that.

Scythian

Well, now I feel obligated to write something down! Thanks to the people who showed interest. Here goes a spontaneous review attempt:

This sounds really interesting, specially for someone that's into "experience" games, and enthralling storylines, which sometimes (imo) are more valuable than shooty-shooty 60-bucks releases.
Reading your impressions I was immediately reminded of Abyss Odyssey in that I can't play more than a couple of runs without getting too frustrated or otherwise fed-up with it. It's not that it isn't fun, but they somehow leave me temporarily drained until I'm ready to boot it up again.

RealMeat

Banned
Wow, the Jagex that's doing the free weekend on a couple games is the same Jagex that made Runescape. Guess they're branching out.

aku:jiki

I played it for a few hours and the lack of any direction just killed it for me, I didn't even know what to do after the first fort; I got to the other world and saw I couldn't leave the fort and had no idea what to do. Explored for a bit after, kept getting killed trying to find a new area to explore, then just idled for the cards.
There's a ghost in the fort that you have to talk to, but I do know what you mean. The gameplay is not what you expect when you launch it and play that "prologue" of walking through the forest.

Oh yeah.. I did that.. it's more about the venturing out into the wilderness and "listening" for things... like I've done that but all I seem to find are a couple more notes and some treasure chests... I feel like I'm running in circles
The notes and buried objects are the game! You're supposed to press X to listen for clues, in both light and dark worlds, and when you've found all of them the game tells you ("you can hear nothing else in the darkness" or some such). Then you go talk to the ghosts, who are now all chilling in the fort, and piece together their history to help them move on.

I think the combat really started to opening up for me when I got the weapon and item upgrades. I found that playing it like an FPS and less like a stealth game was far more enjoyable. I wish they didn't rely on the listening mechanic as much though, that definitely got a little tiresome towards the end.
Me too. I run in and kill everyone unless I see like five of them hanging around each other. I still haven't found any truly good trinket upgrades, though. One that gives me higher than 5% faster reloads would be nice...

When was the last "waifunami"? I keep hearing all this bitching about how this thread is being drowned about by waifus and alpacas, but the most we've had in the last several days is a single gif (not of a waifu) that got quoted 3 or 4 times, and a handful of one off gifs that got ignored. In the same amount of time, we've had multiple several page arguments about how bad this thread is ruined by all of the waifus, which is frankly much more obnoxious.

And I don't think for the most part new people are trying to hard. I'm going to agree with morningbus here and say that they are acting consistently with how these threads have always been (that lines up with what I've observed when I lurked in Steam threads in the past), it's just that there are more people doing it now.

I don't think us vs. them is a very constructive attitude. We can definitely improve this thread, and work to cut down on the more excessive OT behavior. But if we keep pointing fingers and acting smug about it, it's just going to drive people away and turn SteamGAF into an exclusionary community. I really don't want it to come to that.

As a member of the great Rock Band thread, trust me, learn from that. These kind of actions don't end well.

Ban Puncher

The primary problem with separating the Stream thread into on-topic and off-topic branches is that the latter thread then ceases to have a reason to exist. ModBot giveaways aren't exactly a problem, I feel: sure, the more noteable ones tend to attract a handful of posts expressing surprise, but this never lasts very long, and even if giveaways where shepherded to their own thread people would still repost the notable ones in the Steam thread, anyway, for the sake of a heads-up and they'd still receive the same sort of response.

Having two threads would certainly involve some overlap but it could be useful for having a Community thread where people can roll a little more lax whilst keeping the primary Gaming thread on point and accessible to everyone.

I dunno, I'm just tossing ideas out here. I don't like seeing people feel they need to leave or at the same time that they are being alienated by in-jokes.

Yakkue

More thoughts on Halfway:
You can't buy weapons, and item wise there's only a few choices

Can you find new weapons or do you just keep on using the ones you have from the start?

it seems ridiculously huge. I was on a tiny corner and it was already big, then opened the world map and yikes

also most screenshots out there show forrests, deserts, etc. Game is ambitious ill give it that. Also you can swim, I forgot to say that, seems like a small thing but you never know these days >_>

I hope they'll be able to properly fill this huge map then, sound good though!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Can you find new weapons or do you just keep on using the ones you have from the start?

I hope they'll be able to properly fill this huge map then, sound good though!

you find new weapons in Halfway all the time

Parsnip

Is the free ace combat weekend actually working for anyone? If I click the Click Here! link, it just redirects my client to the store page.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
banner_FW.png

Stall...

Time to body that game this weekend for free.

Betrayer is not what I thought it'd be. Looking at screenshots and the store page trailer, I thought it was some sort of stylish action RPG. I guess it kind of is, but it's also a detective game where you collect clues and interview witnesses. The trailer focuses on the stealth kills and such, making it look more action-packed, but it actually has quite a slow progression where it's often a better idea to skirt around the bad guys than it is to run in guns blazing. Muskets take kind of a while to reload... It's also something of a horror game, which I had no idea about going in.

The most striking thing is the visuals. Whether you play in black and white or not, as there is an option for it, it's very stylish. The colored mode has a HDR-inspired look with very bright and very dark colors, giving it a dreamy feel. I recommend playing an hour or two in BW, and then turning the color on, to get the best of both worlds in one playthrough. Personally, I loved the BW aesthetic, but found it a little hard to see the terrain and was happy to find that it's still decently aesthetically unique with the color turned up.

This is where the praise sort of stops, though. I'm torn on how much I actually like playing this game; it nails atmosphere and is creepy, at least for me, and I love seeing the lush and thick vegetation covering the forest you explore, but I'm also kind of bored with the gameplay progression. All you do is run around and try to find audio cues, as objects in the world give off a sound when you're close, since that's really the only viable way to find what you need. The vegetation is simply too lush and thick! The game's strength is also its weakness. It's even worse in the "other world", where draw distance has been reduced to basically the length of your character's arm and all you end up doing is mashing X to 'listen' (activate audio cues that tell you in which direction to go).

To try and summarize; it's beautiful, creepy and cool, but a little too tedious and repetetive to play for like 5 hours straight. I'm enjoying doing about an hour a day, which equates to one of the 6-7 areas available, but after that I have to quit and play or do something else. At the price I paid, €4 on sale, it has been absolutely worth it for the style and atmosphere and I absolutely want to see where the story goes and learn who my character actually is, and who the maiden in red is. There is a lot of engaging mystery here, in my opinion, even if the gameplay itself isn't as engaging.

Really nice write-up, I'm definitely interested in checking out the game at some point. I recommend throwing an image like this in the post so it's a little more eye-catching and obvious that your paragraphs are impressions.

capsule_467x181.jpg

RS4-

Oh yeah, sorry you find better armor and weapons from crates and lockers; you can't craft or upgrade them yourself.

Unless that is something that happens later...which at that point, sounds like the very end of the game.

kevin1025

Banned
I return! I've been a console person for a little bit now (I apologize), but I have come back after the summer sale dust has settled to see what's new.

So Episode Four of Walking Dead: Season Two was pretty good! Though there was very little actual environments to look around in.
And I've been working through The Wolf Among Us, really cool game.

And after a forever of workarounds and tricks I finally got Doom 3: BFG Edition up and running and played through DOOM (the original) for the first time.

derExperte

I didn't care for Dead Island as a single player game but does it hold up as a coop game? Looking for something new to play with my brother.

I'm inclined to post that Larry David GIF where he makes that strange face. Kinda. Maybe. Sorta. It's better in a group but other than in L4D there isn't much cooperation necessary, it's the same as single player only with other guys running around. I enjoyed DI alone and with friends but if you didn't have any fun alone tread carefully.

gaf, HALP - steam has ruined my storage - what do I do, I have 64GB left on my laptop storage - do i get:

a 2 TB internal HDD or
a 4TB external HDD?

Will there be much difference between a 7200rpm 4tb external or a 5400rpm 4tb external?

Both hard drives are the same price. My current internal is a 1TB 7200rpm and a 128GB SSD

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's fair to say that, while i admire telltale's attempt at making episodic gaming with seasons and whatnot a thing, their games work MUCH better played within a small period of time, like after the whole season is done.
Yeah, after playing the whole The Walking Dead S1 in a single night and loving the experience I decided to do the same with every other story-oriented Telltale Games game. I'm wating for a Saturday night when I have nothing to do so I can stay at home and finish The Wolf Among Us in a single sitting.

I wouldn't be able to wait for months at a time so I can play each episode as soon as they are released. This is the reason I haven't played anything from TWD S2 and Kentucky Route Zero yet.

As a person who has been in every Steam thread since the beginning, I can say that the current state of the thread is categorically worse than what usually happens after a major sales event. However, we all have to shoulder the blame on this one a little bit as there is actually very little behavior you can call out a newer poster for that hasn't, in some way, been done by a veteran poster before.

These new posters aren't the first to post literally just a "Good morning, SteamGAF!" comment. There's just now more people doing it and, more importantly, these people haven't built up a reputation yet. Is any of the off-topic stuff being posted now any worse than the 3DS tangents we'd go on?

What I'm trying to say is: we created a certain culture in here, and we didn't get too upset about things because it was only a few posts and, "oh, hey, it's Morningbus. He's posted in here forever, so why am I going to get on his case about M&M codes?"

So, what are the problems?

1) There are a lot of new people. This shouldn't be a problem, but it becomes one because...

2) We've set a poor example of what's acceptable in the thread.

The first board I ever frequented, the StarTrek.com General Discussions board, had it where you were basically laughed out of the forum unless you had passed a certain threshold (100 posts or more) and people were mocked for being juniors.

Now, in that context, SteamGAF is a lot more inclusive, but it is also a double-edged sword. The trade-off of newer posters filling the topic is that everyone gets a little more lax. Even I'm guilty of it. We have a great thing going here, and I'd hate to spoil it because we all keep going off-topic so often.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
gaf, HALP - steam has ruined my storage - what do I do, I have 64GB left on my laptop storage - do i get:

a 2 TB internal HDD or
a 4TB external HDD?

Will there be much difference between a 7200rpm 4tb external or a 5400rpm 4tb external?

Both hard drives are the same price. My current internal is a 1TB 7200rpm and a 128GB SSD

Have you done much shopping around? A 4TB external should not be cheaper than 2TB internal.

Edit: Oh, wait, laptop. That means 2.5" drives. I'd go for the internal if most of the space will go towards games; otherwise, if it's general data storage you're more concerned about, go for the external.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Unless you're extremely bandwidth constrained, I'd seriously recommend just uninstalling some games and reinstalling them when you actually want to play them. Installing programs to external hard drives is a pretty terrible idea. If you've gotta upgrade storage, I'd recommend going internal.

Anteater

I kind of regret not getting wolf among us in the sale, I didn't know it was going to end soon, and I ended up spending those money I saved on useless shit after the sale...

I think it's quite a fun game in coop. About to play Riptide with my brother soon(ish).

I'm inclined to post that Larry David GIF where he makes that strange face. Kinda. Maybe. Sorta. It's better in a group but other than in L4D there isn't much cooperation necessary, it's the same as single player only with other guys running around. I enjoyed DI alone and with friends but if you didn't have any fun alone tread carefully.

Yeah, that's what i figured. I think i'll badger him into Trine 1 coop instead now that that's a thing. Thanks!

derExperte

a 2 TB internal HDD or
a 4TB external HDD?

Does your notebook have a USB3 port? Then you shouldn't notice the speed difference if it's a good external harddrive and 5400vs7200 doesn't matter once you've experienced SSDs. Hey, maybe replace your internal storage with one? Oh wait, didn't read 'til the end. :O Though 1TB SSDs are getting cheaper by the minute.

[...]99% of it is just bundle junk. I did two major bundle keys giveaways in a separate thread that account for somewhere between a third and a half of the figure.
Hard to believe still. Have a link to those threads? Wonder how such a mega giveaway looks like.
No. I have failed you.
Responding while lagging behind leads me to fall for your trap.
yeah, I also feel like it's my fault more and more "veterans" are leaving :( well in case anyone felt offended (or annoyed) by anything I ever posted - I'm deeply sorry :( I guess it'll be best if I just go back to only posting giveaways when I have something worthwhile to share with you guys
Come on lashman, you are probably the last shitposter here!
Mostly you give quick impressions on games and the other times you make giveaways. How can you even hold back from posting? You don't post that much to begin with.

Me and some other gaf members have been having a blast the last couple days with custom L4D2 campaigns. Our new one will be probably today in a custom Lord of the Rings themed Survival map on Helms Deep. I saw besides us four humans 4 npc playing with us along side.
Since I am not knowledgeable in this part; how can a match be set up to play with 8 humans alongside? Is only the server admin able to do that?
I believe it would be immensely joyful to play with 8 Gaf members at once, so if anybody knows how to set up such a game or is a server admin just hit me here/pm/steam chat.
We plan on starting the match at 22:30 CET (16:30 EST / 13:30 PST). If a 8-player match can be arranged, there'll be place for four more players.
Would be ace if someone could help. I plan on dribbling some webms later for hype.

Does your notebook have a USB3 port? Then you shouldn't notice the speed difference if it's a good external harddrive and 5400vs7200 doesn't matter once you've experienced SSDs. Hey, maybe replace your internal storage with one?

yeah it's usb 3 - good to know. It's only for storing my steam games on - I love my ssd for boot up though!

I think it's quite a fun game in coop. About to play Riptide with my brother soon(ish).
Just to make sure - Planet Explorers isn't region-locked, is it?
http://steamdb.info/app/237870/
I'd certainly get it for 5&#8364; from Russia then as it's on 40% off sale
Waiiiiiiiit. I am in for 5$, too. Can you buy two copies, please?

[Down Arrow] You edited the list JaseC :/ There's no huge sensation anymore, ha.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Unless you're extremely bandwidth constrained, I'd seriously recommend just uninstalling some games and reinstalling them when you actually want to play them. Installing programs to external hard drives is a pretty terrible idea. If you've gotta upgrade storage, I'd recommend going internal.
I feel like Stump approves of the "beat and delete" mantra. Feels good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom