• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
reposting ... and just in case I messed something up and Modbot doesn't cross stuff off this list - here's a link to the original post: link

here you go, guys :) and sorry it's nothing huge like some of the games that have been given out here lately ... but I really hope someone still finds these games cool :)

So many games... thanks.

Watch_Dogs really seems like the sort of game that'll have a really good sequel like Assassin's Creed 1 to Assassin's Creed 2, now that they've got a sort of base for the game they can flesh it out and remember to give the main character a character beyond MY NIECE, seriously I'd rather play as Jordi than Aiden(Seriously, Jordi is the best character in the game, although that's not saying much)

And I definitely agree about the radio, coming off of Assassin's Creed IV with its amazing sea shanties one of the biggest things I was wanting to do in Watch_Dogs was just drive around a rainy chicago with some nice music on, but there's only like two good songs and I just put those in a playlist and repeated those until I got sick of them.
I hope you're right, seeing i loved AC2. I agree with Jordi too. Funny character, but wasn't used well.

Watch Dogs never grabbed me in the same way AssCreed or even GTA4 did, and honestly, I'd attribute a fair portion of that to Ubisoft trying to blur the lines between SP and MP -- it's no secret that I'm a completionist, so you can imagine my dismay when I discovered (to no surprise, I should add) that MP and the "social" component have a far larger role this time around than in Black Flag. I know Unity's going to be structured similarly and it's breaking my heart. :(
I actually wanted to touch on that aspect too. If feels like they saw Dark Souls model of MP and just shoved it in, and for me, it failed. Felt like different modes clashing.

Your review is pretty much spot on how I felt about the game. I've resigned myself to just slog through it to get it over with, but I really felt like it could have been something far greater if it wasn't so dull. Dull story, dull characters, dull missions. I think if they make a sequel (which seems likely at this point) I hope they'll learn from the first one and make it the game it should have been.

I also agree with your point about the music. I usually just have it off because of that. What's worse is you have to hack people to unlock more songs, which I think is a really silly idea.
It got to a point where i was just using watch dogs as a podcast game, because of the music selection.

Looks like your feelings is exactly how I felt when I saw a friend playing it for about an hour or two. With all of the excitement surrounding it the release product just didn't look worthy. Looks like I'll be waiting for a 10 dollar price.
I actually got the game for 6 dollars, because of a pricing mistake here in brazil, and even then it felt like a lackluster experience :/

Turfster

Daily Viscera Cleanup Detail 40% off
Weekend
  • Dead Island Franchise Pack 75% off
  • Ace Combat Assault Horizon Enhanced Edition 75% off FREE WEEKEND
  • Ace of Spades Battle Builder 80% off FREE WEEKEND
  • Carnage Racing 75% off FREE WEEKEND

Strazyplus

2014-07-24_1300.png

:/ Steam your so slow.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of salazar547, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (salazar547, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hammerwatch -- MB-C4D130F263C22C92 - Taken by AsylumX. 16 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition -- MB-F97482386E94D043 - Taken by PetriP-TNT. 44 entrants total.

t1406224959z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Daily Viscera Cleanup Detail 40% off
Weekend
  • Dead Island Franchise Pack 75% off
  • Ace Combat Assault Horizon Enhanced Edition 75% off FREE WEEKEND
  • Ace of Spades Battle Builder 80% off FREE WEEKEND
  • Carnage Racing 80% off FREE WEEKEND

carnage racing says 75% for me

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I think i'm gonna stop posting for a bit. A topic I came to love and discuss about steam with people has become a place where I feel that I'm probably hated and looked down upon just because I'm new and think I'm pushing away old members. I like discussing games here, and people read impressions all the time so if you have impressions just post it instead of deleting everything and then blaming it on others. People will still read your impressions, sorry if some might miss it and you don't get the satifsfaction you think you deserve. The drama is getting to be too much, and many that are complaining about Off topic actually go off topic themselves at time so it's getting a bit silly. To claim that everything is waifus and pancakes goes to show how much of the true content you are actually paying attention to and what days of posts have been cherrypicked.

yeah, I also feel like it's my fault more and more "veterans" are leaving :( well in case anyone felt offended (or annoyed) by anything I ever posted - I'm deeply sorry :( I guess it'll be best if I just go back to only posting giveaways when I have something worthwhile to share with you guys

Nabs

Dead serious. Nabs will back me up on this because we ride hard for Arkham Origins.

AO is the real deal. I'll ride for it any day. Great story, excellent pacing (side quests didn't feel like filler), and some of the best scenes this series has seen.

Angry Bats is best Bats.

banner_FW.png

Stall...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The main strategy in CSD extreme mode is to avoid upgrading your foods to keep recipes simple, use menu rot as an advantage because lower buzz is the only way to keep from being overwhelmed. Things like uncorking wine are night-impossible on Extreme because they steal focus for too long while other things are waiting. Personally I've been burning through Extreme using Lobster, Breakfast Sandwiches, Ice Cream, Chicken Breast, Coffee... uh... and one more, can't remember what right now.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
How often does steam go down like this? I just wish they had some sort of notice system to keep us updated. I need to buy cases damn it

AHA-Lambda

AO is the real deal. I'll ride for it any day. Great story, excellent pacing (side quests didn't feel like filler), and some of the best scenes this series has seen.

Angry Bats is best Bats.

I'm right there with you, AO is a great game, and it's a damn shame reviews panned it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The ones that you're missing are unlocked in the new game modes that are unlocked after you finish.

I know but I want to take things a bit slower with the game. Its a short game that you should enjoy in small doses. Trying to unlock everything in one sitting isnt for me as then the game would be collecting cyberdust. :p

Turfster

carnage racing says 75% for me

Gah. Stupid "up to" percentages =p

yeah, I also feel like it's my fault more and more "veterans" are leaving :(

It's not your fault.
It's not any one person's fault.
Let's not point fingers, guys.

How often does steam go down like this? I just wish they had some sort of notice system to keep us updated. I need to buy cases damn it

Depends. It's been much worse, in the weeks leading up to the sale for example.
If you really want up to the second updates, bookmark this site, or something similar.

Where's all this perceived hate for new comers coming from? Maybe I'm just oblivious or have missed some posts but it seems like average Steam thread tomfoolery to me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ace Combat is very fun, heli missions are dope as fuuuuck.

Origins is more like City than Asylum, but really it's like a nice blend of both. The story is a bit more focused while you still have the freedom to explore Gotham. Combat is similar, but the big change in Origins is they increased the 'aggressiveness' of the A.I. It's something that requires a bit of time to adjust too, but the first section might hit you pretty hard until then.

I consider Origins to be the superior Arkham game, can't wait to see what they do with Knight.

The enemy aggressiveness seems to be the result of increasing the frequency of when enemies attack, speeding up their recovery from having their "lock on" broken (doing something that effectively throws enemies attacks off) and reducing the length of stun from gadgets like the smoke bomb (enemies in AO will run through and attack inside of non-dissapated smoke that AC enemies would still be blinded in). That makes fights harder, but there are a bunch of moves and circumstances that don't feel properly balanced for the enemy attack speed. Some of Batman's new animations are faster, but some of the old animations from AC make attacks less viable/useless. The aerial attack (jump off one enemy, land on another) is exceptionally useless now that there's an added pound attack on the second enemy, but it doesn't guarantee a K.O. and the vault doesn't throw enemies off long enough to complete the move in almost every instance. There are a lot of other little problems that don't outright ruin the combat, but it feels messy and not like a proper evolution of AC's gameplay. AC could add as many enemies as it wanted and still be completely solid from the ground up. I hope AK manages to allow the combat to be more challenging and demanding, yet as solid and balanced as AC's was.

I wish the story in Origins was more focused on the whole assassinating Batman thing since they sort of throw that stuff away around the half-way point and just make it focused on you-know-who.

Playing through AA and then AC and then going to AO I felt a bit tired with the whole analysis of the you know who and Batman.
Also why is it called Detective Vision in AO? It's a minor thing but I find it odd that in Arkham Asylum, City and Origins:Blackgate, it's called Detective Mode, but not in AO.

AO was made by WB Games Montreal and that may have contributed to differences like that one.

Caerith

With Cook, Serve, Delicious! included in that giveaway, I have to point out that Extreme Mode (which is only opened up after you unlock NG+) is hilariously brutal. New orders near-instantly start falling off since customer patience is drastically lower and Super Rush Hour just bombards you with you orders non-stop. If you happen to have something on your menu that takes up more time than it should then tough shit, you're not getting that perfect day. I had to opt for offerings like corndogs or coffee because even beer would take too long in the grand scheme of it all.

I should try making a .jif at some point to illustrate the difference between the normal and Extreme difficulty. It's intense.

Steak, fish, and lasagna are great foods for surviving Super Rush Hour. They're easy to prepare, they take a while to cook, and they can be sent off without any additional prep when they finish cooking (even if you're busy taking out the garbage). Slow-cooking items give you more time to deal with other customers.

Corndogs, coffee, and pretzels are easy to make, but they go out instantly, so you don't get any downtime before another order takes their place. These are the foods you use if you want a high combo.

Enco

[...] you fetch stuff for her to make medicine for herself and whatnot (get 10 wood and 5 animal fat to build a campfire), much like you would in any mmo.
true

These types of game seem to be in the testing stage forever. Not surprising considering their ambition but their testing status and lack of decent objectives always puts me off.

rtcn63

I like discussing games here, and people read impressions all the time so if you have impressions just post it instead of deleting everything and then blaming it on others. People will still read your impressions, sorry if some might miss it and you don't get the satifsfaction you think you deserve.

This is probably it. People want to post their gospel, then get irritated when they see a possibility of the sun not shining onto them alone, while others can only be envious. If a person really believes their opinion is as great as they think, there are other avenues (in addition) to the Steam thread- an OT, Steam reviews, a personal blog. All of the above, just show some humility. And I'm not saying it's not good to write out one's thoughts or go through the process, just don't get in a fit unless it's required of you. Don't make it less about informing and entertaining others, and more about publicly wanking yourself off.

I know but I want to take things a bit slower with the game. Its a short game that you should enjoy in small doses. Trying to unlock everything in one sitting isnt for me as then the game would be collecting cyberdust. :p

Ah I see, I think I took a similar approach to the game but I didn't collect all the discs in the end.

Shadownet

Banned
:/ Steam your so slow.

I thought the game came out an hour ago? i've been looking forward to this for a month now.

yeah, I also feel like it's my fault more and more "veterans" are leaving :( well in case anyone felt offended (or annoyed) by anything I ever posted - I'm deeply sorry :( I guess it'll be best if I just go back to only posting giveaways when I have something worthwhile to share with you guys

You have nothing to apologize for lashman, some people are just being incredibly salty. You haven't been that bad at all, like with most newcomers like me. and IF we were bad, most of us seem to gotten better control of going OT, but people refused to see changes and only focus on the bad stuff.

I'm probably going to get out of SteamGAF, like i planned on originally.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of iosefe, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (iosefe, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Stealth Bastard Deluxe -- MB-9EDAABFFB38BA116 - Taken by Hugstable
Fractal -- MB-133A935FC1EC733A - Taken by danhese007
McPixel -- MB-546B773AD0BD449B - Taken by Ghazi
Waking Mars -- MB-6B883F90B62CCD92 - Taken by SSPssp. 3 entrants total.

t1406225561z1.png

RS4-

More thoughts on Halfway:

When I first heard about it, I thought it'd be more of a roguelike type of game but that isn't the case at all. Aside from the obvious RNG when it comes to attacking (melee is always 100%), weapon and armor stats just have the usual +/- difference. There's no random drop from dead enemies and enemy variety is still lacking at my point in the game. You get new weapon/armor which could be an upgrade from your current ones by searching crates, lockers, etc.

Turret with and without shield
Melee dude, gun dude, beam dude. With and without shields.

You can't buy weapons, and item wise there's only a few choices
- small, medium, large shields and medpacks
- one type of grenade
- ammo

Not much variety in guns either; no melee weapons. Only one passive and active skill for each character.

At least retaliate isn't op like Overwatch in XCom.

So yeah, I wish there was more to the game. Actually, I guess I wish it expanded on what XCom offered.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's not your fault.
It's not any one person's fault.
Let's not point fingers, guys.

its noones fault. there just seems to be a "trying too hard" vibe from a lot of the new people. Also how "waifunamis" still happen for example baffles me. First time it was funny, second time ok some people are annoyed, third time ok guys lets not to this again... but yet it keeps happening.

aku:jiki

Well, now I feel obligated to write something down! Thanks to the people who showed interest. Here goes a spontaneous review attempt:

Betrayer is not what I thought it'd be. Looking at screenshots and the store page trailer, I thought it was some sort of stylish action RPG. I guess it kind of is, but it's also a detective game where you collect clues and interview witnesses. The trailer focuses on the stealth kills and such, making it look more action-packed, but it actually has quite a slow progression where it's often a better idea to skirt around the bad guys than it is to run in guns blazing. Muskets take kind of a while to reload... It's also something of a horror game, which I had no idea about going in.

The most striking thing is the visuals. Whether you play in black and white or not, as there is an option for it, it's very stylish. The colored mode has a HDR-inspired look with very bright and very dark colors, giving it a dreamy feel. I recommend playing an hour or two in BW, and then turning the color on, to get the best of both worlds in one playthrough. Personally, I loved the BW aesthetic, but found it a little hard to see the terrain and was happy to find that it's still decently aesthetically unique with the color turned up.

This is where the praise sort of stops, though. I'm torn on how much I actually like playing this game; it nails atmosphere and is creepy, at least for me, and I love seeing the lush and thick vegetation covering the forest you explore, but I'm also kind of bored with the gameplay progression. All you do is run around and try to find audio cues, as objects in the world give off a sound when you're close, since that's really the only viable way to find what you need. The vegetation is simply too lush and thick! The game's strength is also its weakness. It's even worse in the "other world", where draw distance has been reduced to basically the length of your character's arm and all you end up doing is mashing X to 'listen' (activate audio cues that tell you in which direction to go).

The same goes for the combat. I normally don't bother with stealth, because I couldn't really get it to work properly and the demonic conquistadors would find me even when I was crouchwalking only when the wind was blowing (which is how you're supposed to do it). They can also see you from miles away and come running at you before you even spot them, so for me the only option is to take the fight or sneak around it if possible. Since enemies stay dead while you're alive, but respawn if you die, the combat gets to be pretty tense and exciting, as you really don't want to have 15 guards spring back up, impeding your exploration. Especially considering you die in two melee hits, and the enemies are vicious! Being surrounded by three guys at once is a true "holy shit holy shit holy shit" moment that has me flailing and jumping around, trying to dodge their arrows while landing shots of my own.

To try and summarize; it's beautiful, creepy and cool, but a little too tedious and repetetive to play for like 5 hours straight. I'm enjoying doing about an hour a day, which equates to one of the 6-7 areas available, but after that I have to quit and play or do something else. At the price I paid, €4 on sale, it has been absolutely worth it for the style and atmosphere and I absolutely want to see where the story goes and learn who my character actually is, and who the maiden in red is. There is a lot of engaging mystery here, in my opinion, even if the gameplay itself isn't as engaging.

noooo I want to hear your thoughts on Betrayer.. from what I've seen you have a good eye for games and I've only put an hour or so into Betrayer and would love to hear impressions.

I made it to the first fort, rang the bell, and found some notes but now I have no idea where to go lol
You need to ring the bell again. When you do it the first time, you get taken to the "other world" but the maiden in red wakes you up. Any time you do it after that, you can go back and forth at will and the maiden doesn't disturb you.

I don't get where all the drama came from. Sure, i've seen bouts of really off-topic stuff happen occasionally, but i think plenty of relevant stuff has been posted too. I've only been around since the winter sale last year, but i haven't really noticed that much of a shift. I think making this big to-do about it is only gonna make things worse, sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom