• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
So far my experiences with Onikira Demon Killer is the game crashing before I can even play it. what a fun experience.

How much grinding is in EDF? Im reading a lot about redoing missions to get good weapons which I didn't expect. Can you just beat the game on normal without grinding?

You can beat the game on Easy without needing to grind. It won't be a challenge, but can be silly fun if playing with friends even if you don't get some of the more interesting weapons.

I personally prefer to look at this, and other EDF games, less as grinding and more just as games to keep playing over months, here and there, and always be getting something when I do so. Of course my way is with friends and whenever we could get together and it took us a year to beat the last EDF, but we enjoyed ourselves.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
When you finish one game and just don't know what to play next. Been wanting to finish Thief, but level 5 is too scary. I'm thinking FFVII and finally finish the third disc this time. -_-

Nabs

Yeah... that sums it up; thanks. Only rented the Theatrical Cut, but I can't see any extra footage making sense of things.

Totally forgot about Honest Trailers; it explained everything. Perfect timing on that release.

More than anything, I couldn't help but think of GAF's own Sad Affleck while watching the movie. It's so perfect...

It's a shame they didn't bury the theatrical cut.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of PaulSane, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Spec Ops: The Line -- MB-AE7E8B71DFF2E2F3 - Taken by Jalal. 13 entrants total.
Duke Nukem Forever -- MB-8060136F450B2B71 - Taken by Ventara. 12 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
The Darkness II -- MB-6147C3D342DEBD0E - Taken by ExoSoul. 6 entrants total.

t1469067192z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Spec Ops: The Line -- MB-0EBB8BC1B0D8E814 - Taken by XDDX. 13 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Sid Meier's Civilization V -- MB-F481F493F323F72A - Taken by gngf123. 6 entrants total.

t1469067516z1.png

Salsa

The Trailer for TT's Batman game is good.

I thought it was super dull

Harvey Dent storyline again

just Selina shown (tho I guess it might be first ep)

engine doesnt look new enough. really stilted. graphics look worse than they did in screenshots

just super meh. wish it was a more original approach or was based around a more lived-in gotham, post dent and all that

also im just gonna stick my head ocassionally to piss hardcastlemccormick. this place changed a lot, i'll just leave it at that

s' cool

edit: I underlined where the joke is jic

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
The Trailer for TT's Batman game is good.

I don't know, the whole premise feels really similar to stuff that's been done so many times before. Ex.:

It's another "early career Batman" story.
It's going through Falcone's storyline yet again.
It's going through Two-Face's origin story again.

I'm sure the game will be fine once all of the episodes have been released, but I just can't feel any excitement for the same old Batman plots that have been done multiple times before.

Lomax

All this fighting. Here ill tell you a joke to lighten the mood.

I resubbed to wow

And the punchline is, I actually didnt get bored 15minutes later as usual, im actually enjoying myself.

/hilarious

Join me Lain

I'd trade you wow gold for steam games but I think you're on EU.

dragon's dogma for 17 on gmg sounds tempting

everything sounds tempting these days and i still don't buy it

Yeah that is a bit tempting but I think I can manage to hold out for the $10 price point.

Adnor

Banned
Just got a new phone, a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro, and just like I expected You Must Build a Boat is the perfect mobile game.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Total biscuit
Lazy game reviews
Ross' game dungeon
Kim justice
Off the top of my head

I tried searching Off The Top Of My Head and didnt find a channel like that. /jk

I suggest Lazy Game Reviews too. Pretty nice stuff there.

Some impressions for Sunless Sea: (thanks again, you raffler you!)

The story: You play a captain of a small boat in an underground sea ("the Zee." or "the Unterzee") close to "Fallen London" (I assume a steampunky post-apocalyptic London.) The story unfolds as you do quests and read flavour texts. There's a hint of "Mass Effect" vibe as you take on crew members and do quests for them as well in order to make them better. I know I'm not making the story sound like much, but trust me, it's gripping. Mind you, since it has roguelike elements, and I'm only on my second game - I'm doing kinda sorta well so I've seen a lot of stuff - but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets less gripping as you die more often.

The gameplay: Explore. Trade. Do quests. Battle. Try not to die. Go back to London to sell your stuff and heal up. Repeat. Okay, I'm being simplistic. At the beginning, very little of the map is shown and you fill it out as you sail ("zail") around. You have to perform a delicate dance between fuel, supplies, money ("echoes,") and terror (how scared you're getting. Probably like the good ol' Call of Cthulhu san-checks.) Stick too close to London, and you won't make enough money to buy more fuel and supplies. Stray too far, and you could run out of fuel and supplies while out at sea, or have to spend more in price-gouging ports. You can save fuel by turning your prow-lamp off, but that makes your terror increase faster. If you really get desperate you can burn supplies for fuel, or if you really need supplies...well, use your imagination. Since it is a permadeath game, you really do feel the desperation.

Only once did I call bullshit, and that was because of a glitch - I went off the map and got penalized for it pretty severely, then got teleported to the nearest port...where it gave me the same punishment again (and I'm sure it shouldn't have done that.) So I had lost nearly everything and was at 100 terror - it gave me a chance to stave it off briefly twice - but I did manage to just barely slide into a port with cheap fuel and reasonable supplies. It's forgiving, but not TOO forgiving. There are plenty of times I've screwed up and got close to death, but pulled myself out of the fire, and knew it was on me.

Oh wait, one more thing I can call bullshit on. You can purchase a few different ships than the one you've got. If you're really strapped for money you can downgrade to basically a dinghy. So here I was thinking, okay, all the next ships up from the one I have are bigger...WRONG. The next ship up is smaller and worse in almost every way, but adds to your stealth and perception scores (big whoop.) I scrimped and saved to upgrade a second time just to get out of that garbage. Man, if I had only known I wouldn't have wasted my money.

The graphics and audio: The graphics are pretty simplistic - they look like late-era Flash or early-era Unity - with conflicting art styles for the portraits and some bad conveyance for faux-3D. I thought some gates were impassable when it turns out they were open and I could just sail through them. Still, there's a great use of cool and warm colours to show the interplay of the darkness of most places, and some places with (either natural or artificial) light. So it could have used improvement but it's still got style.

The audio at sea is mostly background sound effects. You only get music close to a major port. Makes being at sea even bleaker, which is a nice touch.

The length: No idea how long individual winning games are supposed to take, but let me just say this is a slow-paced game. This is Sid Meier's Pirates! on barbiturates.

The verdict: I'm really enjoying it, but at the same time I realize it won't be for everyone. If you don't have the time to get invested in this and/or do some slow thoughtful exploration, then you won't have fun with this. But if you are willing to put in the time and attention, I think you'll find this game is a "captivating treasure."

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Crying with videogames lol.

Real men cry with anime.

Damn it Going Merry, you just wanted to take the crew a little longer ;_;

Lain

I tried to buy Trulon from GMG since it's 95% off there (0,99€), but I keep receiving an error which doesn't allow me to add items to the cart and informs me to try again. What a weird thing.

madjoki

I tried to buy Trulon from GMG since it's 95% off there (0,99€), but I keep receiving an error which doesn't allow me to add items to the cart and informs me to try again. What a weird thing.

Yeah, seems like it's broken, everything else works tho. I guess you could try bugging their support for twitter or something.

You guys got any good recommendations for YouTube channels that focus on Steam/PC gaming? Also, indie games and kickstarters?

Digital Foundry for hardware, and now retro retrospectives.
JERMgaming for his Potato Masher series
LowSpecGamer for below min-spec hacking
Noah Caldwell-Gervais long-form videos with themes, Half Life 1 mods, Doom retrospectives, comedy in games
Dslyecxi in depth ARMA gameplay. I find these very soothing.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

Uzzy

You should also watch crosscounter for all the SFV goodness you can handle with pogchamp and Mike 'Mike Ross' Ross.

bjaelke

Nvidia doing another OrderOf10 competition starting today. Several GTX 10xx cards to be won. I appreciate the effort put into those puzzles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom