• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
New trailer for The Turing Test. SE also unveiled the release date, August 30th. This one looks somewhat portal-like, and as someone who just went through Portal 2 for the fourth time I couldn't be more excited.

Ohh. This is one of those Square Enix Collective games where developers get to give Square Enix money because they have a financial domination fetish.

Looks neat, though.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It ends when Deckard turns up and puts a bullet in you.

rqToI4K.jpg

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of The_Super_Inframan, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 21 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sonic CD -- MB-93D4C16C4CF4A77C - Taken by Natty1. 4 entrants total.
Nidhogg -- MB-AE836BFDCD94F759 - Taken by illusionary. 14 entrants total.
Star Drifter -- MB-09788394780C6FB6 - Taken by Hakkelus. 2 entrants total.
Raiden IV OverKill -- MB-F580B0A9505253FF - Taken by laserlaser. 10 entrants total.
ReignMaker -- MB-63A88B61AF0A3D25 - Taken by bobnowhere. 4 entrants total.
Calibre 10 Racing -- MB-E801FC075768DDE8 - Taken by redlacs. 1 entrants total.
Astral Breakers -- MB-33007DC5C787E1AD - Taken by ExoSoul. 2 entrants total.
Wooden Floor -- MB-1C309E206E1080F6 - Taken by fuzzy123. 1 entrants total.
On My Own -- MB-1F46EA1424CF4B9E - Taken by dave is ok. 1 entrants total.
Spelunky -- MB-A8AC5C8B9495A332 - Taken by Dr.Acula. 10 entrants total.
Shining Force II -- MB-7679663D6AF3CD14 - Taken by Lone_Prodigy. 5 entrants total.
Shining Force -- MB-6B55575220948A7F - Taken by KainXVIII. 5 entrants total.
Sid Meier's Pirates! Gold Plus -- MB-D5BB36FCE00DC261 - Taken by fenners. 8 entrants total.
Robot Roller Derby Disco Dodgeball -- MB-F8E509A4C2CCF65C - Taken by Jalal. 4 entrants total.
Grid Masters -- MB-2BD520BA99DFBA58 - Taken by OmarYusaf. 3 entrants total.
Marble Duel -- MB-EB69B8DAA1784F68 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 3 entrants total.
Envoy 2 -- MB-16DC935A18E2FA86 - Taken by Kuroyume. 2 entrants total.
Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna) -- MB-9528B670299433A0 - Taken by Sammichu. 7 entrants total.
Sisters Secrecy Arcanum Bloodlines -- MB-ABEE364303348A46 - Taken by Kifimbo. 1 entrants total.
boxlife -- MB-67717406E249B715 - Taken by chronomac. 3 entrants total.
Puzzle Galaxies -- MB-251E145E02AF485B - Taken by illusionary. 3 entrants total.

t1469126677z1.png

Here's a little game I like. Party Saboteurs. It's a take on the Spy Party style where there are party goers trying to get away with nefarious deeds and snipers trying to spot the players out of the AIs. The twist is that you control a party goer and a sniper of your own, at the same time!

ModBot 2 said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (pantsattack, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Party Saboteurs -- MB-352C8E10F361AA85 - Taken by dave is ok. 13 entrants total.

t1469133791z1.png

I recently started playing the first Neptunia game and I'm surprised to see I'm enjoying it a bit more than I expected. I actually regret not buying the second and maybe even third game during the sale, since the price was a hystorical low, I believe. The series is currently on sale on WinGameStore, but it's not as cheap as during the Steam Summer Sale.

Tizoc

I recently started playing the first Neptunia game and I'm surprised to see I'm enjoying it a bit more than I expected. I actually regret not buying the second and maybe even third game during the sale, since the price was a hystorical low, I believe. The series is currently on sale on WinGameStore, but it's not as cheap as during the Steam Summer Sale.

IIRC the 2nd and 3rd games are more of the same with refinements.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Does anyone else hate how so many games put their save files into My Documents instead of My Documents>My Games? Is there a way to remedy this without fucking up the games?

Some impressions for The Dreamatorium of Dr. Magnus 2 (wow, no subtitle for a sequel? That's a bold choice.)

Disclaimer: I never played the first one, nor is the first one even available on Steam. The developer assures me the stories are independent and I didn't have trouble following it.

The story: You play Iris Birdwood, a private investigator specializing in the paranormal, when you witness a supernatural abduction in broad daylight before your very eyes. (I guess ghost sightings have so little credibility now, ghosts don't have to give a fuck about witnesses anymore.) She was on her way to see Dr. Magnus, her dad's employee and the inventor of the Dreamatorium, a sort of dream-entering device. Your main goal is to rescue the girl and stop the ghost, but along the way you learn who the ghost is and what his motivations are. And it's only in a few notes you can find, but it's FUCKING CREEPY. I'll put it in spoilers, if you really care.

The ghost is Mr. Graves, a co-worker (or employee, it's unclear) of the inventor Dr. King and Dr. Magnus, who invented the Dreamatorium. He blackmailed Dr. King into giving him a larger cut of the profits by threatening to leak the blueprints, and demanded to be the first to try out the Dreamatorium, hoping to enter the dreams of Dr. King's daughter and make her love Graves. So...basically Graves wanted to mentally rape his co-worker's or possibly boss' daughter. Fortunately, something went wrong and the guy died in the Dreamatorium. So of course, first thing his ghost does is abduct said daughter.

Like I said, it's pretty much glossed over, so they could have made this game a lot darker if they wanted to. But it's an okay story as is.

The story is apparently set in 1925, so they do have some things that are true to form (art deco buildings and cloche hats) and some anachronisms (a green LED dot-matrix display, easily 50 years before that was a thing...and a mechanical typewriter that somehow has memory and can retype the last thing that was written on it. Yeah, I don't get it any more than you do.)

The gameplay: Most of the minigames and puzzles are dreadfully easy. There was one thing they got right and which I would love to see in more hidden-object games: Custom difficulty. Set your hint recharge time or turn it off, turn on or off the hidden object scene glow or the pertinent area sparkle, etc. It's great if you like some aspects of expert difficulty while finding others too annoying.

The hidden-object scenes sometimes had bad conveyance. The absolute worst offender was a scene where you asked to find a "Number." There was a clock with numbers on it...nope. A dollar bill with the 1 on display...nope. Two post it notes, one with a "5" and one with a "22" clearly shown on them...nope. The correct answer was to unfold a piece of paper to reveal "XIIX." That's not a number, not even in Roman numerals!

And naturally it brings back the bane of existence of every hidden-object game: missables. Almost every screen has a hidden collectible ("with an i") and as the game progresses, sets of screens will be closed off to you. So basically as soon as you enter a room, look for that thing before doing ANYTHING.

The dialogue and voices: The dialogue itself was...translated well enough. I'll gloss over the fact that everyone speaks so readily to a private investigator. But the voices...wow. Iris sounds like a half-asleep stoner with a lisp: everything she says sounds slow and bored. Dr. Magnus is only slightly better. The ghost's voice tries harder, but he sounds like he's doing a bad impression of wrestler Bray Wyatt. Dr. King sounds like he should have been named Dr. Kinganovic, and looking at the credits I wouldn't be surprised if this was just somebody's dad. Nobody even seems able to pronounce "Dreamatorium." It always comes out "Drimatorium." I've heard worse voice acting in games, even in hidden object games, but this is pretty far down.[/B]

The audio: There's hardly any background music. I guess there was no budget for it. Sound effects were stock-standard but the lack of music is basically a lack of production values.

The graphics: Not bad. Probably the game's best feature. The characters look like hidden-object game characters, but there's no uncanny valley detected. The environments look pretty nice, and it shows they were trying to mix period authenticity with steampunkery, to a moderate degree of effectiveness.

The length: Took me 2.4 hours to get all the achievements...in one playthrough. So, it's pretty short.

The verdict: It's pretty telling when a game's credits contain the words "Artifex Mundi" but the game was self-published on Steam. My guess is AM were set to publish it and changed their mind once they saw it wasn't up to their standards. The game isn't BAD, I'd call it an average hidden object game with below-average production values and rock-bottom voice acting. If you got it in a bundle and you've got a couple of hours to kill, I'd say why not. Otherwise I'd say there are better offerings out there.

What time does the Greenman gaming deals refresh or did they already? I noticed the flash deals are the same ones that have been running for several days and more of the good deals are out of stock.

Eila

I tried Fairy Fencer out of all the Compile Heart games I have and it was ok. I like how they let you skip EVERYTHING you want. They know.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Here's a little game I like. Party Saboteurs. It's a take on the Spy Party style where there are party goers trying to get away with nefarious deeds and snipers trying to spot the players out of the AIs. The twist is that you control a party goer and a sniper of your own, at the same time!

So do the players see the whole screen during setup/selection, then it moves to scope view? How do you control your other character while in scope view?

Vlad

Does anyone else hate how so many games put their save files into My Documents instead of My Documents>My Games? Is there a way to remedy this without fucking up the games?

I believe most games have that hard coded. I imagine that some might have an ini or cfg file you can edit, but otherwise you might be stuck.

But yeah, it's super annoying.

Tizoc

Played Setsuna for 6 hours now, and it seem's i'm already more than half-way through!? That's one short jprg lol.

sO FUNNy thing
I started up the game an hour ago and
MY SAVE FILE IS BACK
I honestly don't know what happened back there but glad I could continue lol.

redlacs

That is a bit risky thing to have. If somebody gains access to your account it can terminate it and you are screwed.

exactly my thoughts. that would be awful! there should be at least some time in which you could regain your stolen account and "change your mind"

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (outunderthestars, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Kentucky Route Zero -- MB-20CB0E9FE77AAC40 - Taken by Xanathus. 35 entrants total.

t1469142357z1.png
[/QUOTE]

Nzyme32

So here is something interesting.

Been playing GTA V for the first time since launch times this week, finding that everything I did is not there anymore since Rockstar Social Club + Steam doesn't support cloud saving etc, just achievements. Just started today and got this message on startup:

h8xol3U.png

With that in mind, I'm gonna take a wild guess that preparations are on going for a new Rockstar PC game / putting up older ones on RSC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom