• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

BEST

BIRTHDAY

EVER

uqquhph.jpg
Misfits-Season-3-Episode-7-Rudy-misfits-e4-27696598-245-245.gif

Gilgun

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

AUPeRsu.jpg

Mystery Gift -- MB-F04DE65D2F6FEB4D - Taken by Hakkelus

So for some strange reason, Steam says I already own this but it doesn't tell me what game it is, nor it gives me the option to install it. So here you go, and please post what it is.

Ban Puncher

BIRTHDAY MS PAINT COMPETITION

tumblr_nze8pg41Xh1ulcl2po1_500.gif

First person to post a MS Paint of an anime frog of some effort gets a copy of Kero Blaster.

tumblr_niywuyujHk1u7otobo1_400.gif

accel

Cortana is not even available in my territory so what am I supposed to do after the anniversery update?

Not sure what exact part of Cortana is unavailable in your territory. Voice recognition? If so, it will remain unavailable, it is just that the search box will use code that is part of Cortana.

When we see all these little changes, they add up to a big flashing arrow in a direction some people aren't super happy with. And it's not like Microsoft has really earned our trust. In fact they're doing their hardest to throw it away.

Which ones?

Although disregard that, it is largely pointless. I agree Microsoft have their share of sins. The Internet wants to vilify them for that eternally and blindly turning everything into a big issue, so be it.

Case in point, quoting from Knurek's post above: "Your Windows 7 license will always be valid and will not be changed or deactivated because of the upgrade to Windows 10: you'll be able to install or restore Windows 7 again in case you'll need to do that (provided that you've the Windows 7 installation DVD"

But that's obviously nothing, and a free upgrade to Windows 10 is nothing (I can hear it already - "they need it more than I do, I am doing them a service upgrading to that"), they are evil because they removed a few thingies out of the hundreds they added. Evil and trying their hardest to be more evil every day.

Bought a copy of Kero Blaster even though I already have it. I am neither a clever man or good at Steam.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rockin' Ranger:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Kero Blaster -- MB-D4D18853A3AEA933 - Taken by dave is ok. 32 entrants total.

t1469814146z1.png

Karak

So are any of you excited about This is the Police? This review by ACG sold me on it.

Edit: It was supposed to come out today, but it has apparently been delayed to August 2nd.

Thanks for posting my review.
Ya I have to say the game is just good fun for me. Saw some others hammering on it but they also seemed to consistently be bringing up odd grievances. All I can say is the stream I did was positive, and when I played it with some friends preparing for review it was liked by all there.

Just an overall enjoyable gameplay loop for me.

Which ones?

Off the top of my head, the whole Windows 10 upgrade prompt bullshit designed with dark patterns to trick users into upgrading, the additional callbacks to homebase in Windows 10, the constant push of Windows 8 UI decisions that nobody wanted (the dichotomy between Metro and desktop still sucks in W10), the constant push of GFWL that nobody wanted, the current push of UWP that nobody seems to want.

I'm not one for holding grudges against their 2001-era anti-competitive practices, and Microsoft has turned around that train, but any move by them should be met with skepticism. As with all companies. But when I see Microsoft, I see a company who's not interested in serving their customers, but rather a company who does whatever they can get away with for some unknown strategy.

Although disregard that, it is largely pointless. I agree Microsoft have their share of sins. The Internet wants to vilify them for that eternally and blindly turning everything into a big issue, so be it.

Case in point, quoting from Knurek's post above: "Your Windows 7 license will always be valid and will not be changed or deactivated because of the upgrade to Windows 10: you'll be able to install or restore Windows 7 again in case you'll need to do that (provided that you've the Windows 7 installation DVD"

But that's obviously nothing, and a free upgrade to Windows 10 is nothing (I can hear it already - "they need it more than I do, I am doing them a service upgrading to that"), they are evil because they removed a few thingies out of the hundreds they added. Evil and trying their hardest to be more evil every day.

The Internet vilifies everyone for their sins, as they should. Perpetually. Trust is earned, and it's hard to win back. There's a lot of people who don't forget and god bless 'em.

I don't really care for Windows 10, but I play my games on it. Would I trust Microsoft to run my primary OS? No. Not really. Skepticism is healthy. Assuming the worst, maybe not healthy, but I can't blame anyone for it.

Microsoft's the only OS maker who goes through the trouble of using license keys on their OS in the first place, so I don't know why it's worth praising them for giving people a little leeway. This especially considering the whole Windows 10 upgrade process is incredibly confusing - nobody knows exactly what key will work with what or how you can reactivate the Windows 10 install later if need be. And oh god did it used to be worse. Hope you had an XP OEM CD for your XP OEM Key, a retail CD wouldn't work.

hesho

I do have Windows 10 at the ready if I need to make the jump, but at this point I really don't see any reason to do so.

i finally updated to 10 on my 2-1 tablet because i HATED windows 8... and i am starting to hate windows 10 too... Good thing my other 2 laptops and desktop is still on 7...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
PC Gamer has an interesting timeline of Steam, looking back at how it's evolved.

Bonus cool gif

BUSh0p4.gif

Kinda neat to see, especially if you've been a Steam user for a while.

Werd

If I reverted my Surface Pro 2 back to Windows 8.1 do I still have the free 10 license forever? I like W10 in general (have had it on my Desktop since the public release), but I think I like the tablet mode better on 8.1.

accel

Off the top of my head, the whole Windows 10 upgrade prompt bullshit designed with dark patterns to trick users into upgrading, the additional callbacks to homebase in Windows 10, the constant push of Windows 8 UI decisions that nobody wanted (the dichotomy between Metro and desktop still sucks in W10), the constant push of GFWL that nobody wanted, the current push of UWP that nobody seems to want.

For perspective:

* "additional callbacks to homebase" carried anonymous untrackable telemetry (things like "BTW, the upgrade was from Windows 7 and it had to restart due to a failure in driver X"), you leave twenty times as much data every time you hit a site if you are using Chrome with their data mining thing at default values;

* "the constant push of Windows 8 UI" amounts to them having to support both Metro and non-Metro apps, they have no choice here, people developed Metro applications already, whether or not Metro was a good idea is irrelevant, it already happened, Windows 10 could not do anything other than support it;

* "the constant push of GFWL" stopped more than two years ago, and the main problem with it is that it did not shut down cleanly;

* and not sure what "the push of UWP" amounts to, apps in Windows Store? got it, how dare they have their own store, how dare they develop and advertise technology that makes it easy to develop applications for multiple platforms which they support.

This leaves "Windows 10 upgrade prompt bullshit designed with dark patterns to trick users into upgrading". This is the first time I hear about them making dark patterns to trick users into upgrading, but fine, I understand that dark patterns are dangerous.

Sorry for the rant, but I am reading your list of reasons to be against Windows 10 and I am left saying - "well, I suppose you have your reasons".

I will stop now. Apologies for sounding bitter.

If I reverted my Surface Pro 2 back to Windows 8.1 do I still have the free 10 license forever? I like W10 in general (have had it on my Desktop since the public release), but I think I like the tablet mode better on 8.1.

Yes, you retain it forever.

For perspective:

* "additional callbacks to homebase" carried anonymous untrackable telemetry (things like "BTW, the upgrade was from Windows 7 and it had to restart due to a failure in driver X"), you leave twenty times as much data every time you hit a site if you are using Chrome with their data mining thing at default values;

* "the constant push of Windows 8 UI" amounts to them having to support both Metro and non-Metro apps, they have no choice here, people developed Metro applications already, whether or not Metro was a good idea is irrelevant, it already happened, Windows 10 could not do anything other than support it;

* "the constant push of GFWL" stopped more than two years ago, and the main problem with it is that it did not shut down cleanly;

* and not sure what "the push of UWP" amounts to, apps in Windows Store? got it, how dare they have their own store, how dare they develop and advertise technology that makes it easy to develop applications for multiple platforms which they support.

This leaves "Windows 10 upgrade prompt bullshit designed with dark patterns to trick users into upgrading". This is the first time I hear about them making dark patterns to trick users into upgrading, but fine, I understand that dark patterns are dangerous.

Sorry for the rant, but I am reading your list of reasons to be against Windows 10 and I am left saying - "well, I suppose you have your reasons".

Your defenses are not very compelling. You're defending the symptoms of Microsoft decisions but not the cause - that they made shitty decisions for the consumer, decided they were going to foist them upon the marketplace whether the marketplace wanted them or not, and then maybe walked back a bit (or not) based on how nobody gave a shit.

This is my thesis, not the individual issues themselves but that it shows a company heading in a direction I don't like. And this is why people get so irritated. It's like a constant trickle of bad news from Windows 10, if you're not on board with Microsoft's little strategy.

Why did you even latch onto that list and feel the need to pick it apart? Seriously? I even put a disclaimer, "off the top of my head." I had a whole longer post beneath it that you literally ignored so you could destroy my list.

Nillansan

additional callbacks to homebase carried anonymous untrackable telemetry (things like "BTW, the upgrade was from Windows 7 and it had to restart due to a failure in driver X"), you leave twenty times as much data every time you hit a site if you are using Chrome with their data mining thing at default values;

Does that make it right then?

the constant push of GFWL stopped more than two years ago, and the main problem with it is that it did not shut down cleanly.

That is a pretty damn big problem if you ask me. Also, after Microsoft shat GFWL out, they didn't do jack to actually improve the platform, support was non-existent. Activating a game on the service felt like a gamble. They also forced you to tie the account to a Microsoft web mail service.

and not sure what "the push of UWP" amounts to, apps in Windows Store? got it, how dare they have their own store, how dare they develop and advertise technology that makes it easy to develop applications for multiple platforms which they support.

There are already several threads that cover the criticism raised against UWP. You don't have to look far, take this thread for example, Durante for PC Gamer: Why PC games should never become Universal Apps.

That Upgrade prompt was hilariously deceptive, I am surprised that you haven't heard about it. Microsoft actually ended up changing it due to complaints.

Bitter is not the first thing that comes to mind. You sound uninformed.

So excited that people will get to play the true Little King's Story. It was a great Wii title and one of the best from Cing. Gonna have to pour some beer on the floor for Cing when this comes out in 7 days.

accel

There are already several threads that cover the criticism raised against UWP. You don't have to look far, take this thread for example, Durante for PC Gamer: Why PC games should never become Universal Apps.

I don't disagree that UWP is not the model for big games aiming for user-contributed addons, but for small canned games it might have benefits.

Look, I *don't* find Microsoft's vision on UWP appealing *for what I write* (not games). I can - and did - write hundreds and thousands of pages over the years on their APIs and systems, and how exactly some of them are bad and myopic and even destructive (one of the last examples of the latter: C++/CX). But that doesn't mean I deny them the right to have a vision. And that doesn't mean their vision is all that terrible, again, with respect to UWP, I can see it work for many things.

What irks me is this utterly idiotic characterization of, say, the same UWP as something vile and terrible that Microsoft are pushing down everyone's throat (and so they are evil and have to be resisted against). All people who are writing such things on reddit and elsewhere accomplish (Durante's article isn't like that) is show how little they appreciate what is really going on technologically and why things like that get created in the first place. We are talking about technological solutions to complex problems. They are not ideal. You are free to think they are solving wrong problems. You are free not to use them. I don't use UWP. It's fine.

Bitter is not the first thing that comes to mind. You sound uninformed.

Oh, totally. I mean, I haven't heard about "That Upgrade prompt" from Windows 10 being "hilariously deceptive", how informed I can really be after that.

Anyway, it is time to wrap it up. The thread is about Steam, not about Windows 10. Apologies to whoever had to read through the unwanted exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom