• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
can you share why ya'll upgrading?

tumblr_nh4mvvOOcl1setglvo1_500.png

Wok

I think no one posted this here yet, but anyway:

The price is way lower than I expected, I'll wait for the reviews to drop but it look pretty neat.

Four things are a bit worrying:
  1. Energy Manipulation Tool: the mechanic of switching things on and off given a fixed amount of energy is a well-known gimmick, which could turn quite limited in the end, see Red Trigger for instance,
  2. From the creators of Pneuma Breath of Life, which has mixed reviews,
  3. There is something uncanny about the main character in the trailer starting at minute 1:00, unless it is on purpose,
  4. This whole discussion about Turing Test sounds like a false promise ("Take on tests designed in such a way that only a human could solve them").

This is the youtube description of the trailer:
The Turing Test is a first person puzzler from the developers of ‘Pneuma: Breath of Life’ that explores the phenomena of consciousness and challenges the meaning of human intuition. Take control of Ava Turing, an engineer for the International Space Agency (ISA), and progress through a narrated story of introspection and morality whilst uncovering the hidden mysteries of Europa. Delve into The Turing Test’s human interaction puzzles and arm yourself with logical and methodical thinking. Take on tests designed in such a way that only a human could solve them. In an evolving story based on mankind’s inherent need to explore, protect and survive; players search deeper into Europa’s ice crusted core and transcend the line between man and machine.

Investigate the truth behind the ISA research base on Jupiter’s moon Europa. Solve puzzles using your Energy Manipulation Tool (EMT) to transfer power out from one object and into another. Power up and take control of artificially intelligent machines, manipulate giant structures and solve complex tasks; all woven into a multi-layered story based on the human struggle for control. The Turing Test can only be experienced through the interactive medium of video games.

The Turing Test sparks your synapses into action in this electrifying new first person puzzler, as players learn the true cost of retaining human morality.

fantomena

Finally. Receiving my new PC components next week. Been 4-5 years since last time I upgraded. Going from this to this:

GTX 690 -> GTX 1080
I7-2600 -> i7-5820k
12 GB RAM -> 32 GB RAM

Im also upgrading my mobo to a x99 one, don't know what I have know. The RAM is 2666 MHz, while the one I have right now is 265 according to MHz. I don't know what the MHz does though. I originally planned to do only 16 GB RAM, but 32 was cheaper than I thought so why not.

I love the fact that I dont need to rely on SLI support and just 2 GB VRAM. Fuck that.

illusionary

I've been looking forward to these articles from Patrick (number two to come next week): G2A Scammer Explains How He Profited Off Stolen Indie Game Keys Ultimately, nothing that we didn't already know, but it's still an interesting (if slightly depressing) read.

---------
A spokesperson for Humble Bundle, which only sells keys to customers, told me the company was once forced to stomach $34,000 in chargebacks fees in 24 hours from a sale of games in 2012.
---------
“G2A [is one of the] great sites to sell fraudulent keys,” [Vitor Reis] said, referencing another key-selling site, as well. “The keys of commerce [are] quick and easy, and there is [not] much bureaucracy.”
---------

dickroach

I've been installing my games on my external for a while because I didn't wanna fill up my internal HD, but apparently Steam set the default drive have to my C:/ out of nowhere and it filled up, so I just went and copied the folders of newer games in the steamapps folder over from my D:/ to my C:/, but now steam can't "find the executable." how do I get it to recognize the games from the other drive without having to re-download them?

illusionary

I've been installing my games on my external for a while because I didn't wanna fill up my internal HD, but apparently Steam set the default drive have to my C:/ out of nowhere and it filled up, so I just went and copied the folders of newer games in the steamapps folder over from my D:/ to my C:/, but now steam can't "find the executable." how do I get it to recognize the games from the other drive without having to re-download them?

Move/copy the game installation folder to the new drive.
Uninstall ("delete local content") in Steam - this will apply to the existing recognised install.
Select to install in Steam and point it to the desired new drive (where you've already copied the installation to).
Steam should just verify the copied files and you're done, with a minimum of redownloading.

Alternatively, http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Either way, perhaps test it with something small first to make sure that it's all working as expected?

Sarcasm

Also next time setup library install locations.

1) Create a folder in the new location where you’ll store your games. If you’re on Steam, you’ll need to do it through Steam. Head to Settings > Downloads > Steam Library Folders and click “Add Library Folder”.

2) Navigate to your new Steam library folder and create a new folder within it called steamapps. Then, create a folder in steamapps called common.

3) Head to your current Steam folder and find the folder for the game you want to move. You’ll likely find it in steamapps/common. Copy the game’s folder, e.g. “Borderlands 2”, to the new steamapps/common folder you created in step 2.

4) Open Steam, right-click on the game you’re moving, and select “Delete Local Content”. This will uninstall the game from its original location.

5) When that’s done, click the Install button to re-install the game. In the “Choose location” dropdown, choose the Steam folder on your new hard drive.

6) Instead of re-downloading the game (which could take hours), Steam will detect the existing files there and make any necessary minor changes. When it’s done, you should be able to play the game as usual.

Nzyme32

PC Gamer has an interesting timeline of Steam, looking back at how it's evolved.

Bonus cool gif

BUSh0p4.gif

Kinda neat to see, especially if you've been a Steam user for a while.

Ha! Got flashbacks to the old Green Steam days. No more chess though. Also I recall the madness of trying to play HL2 on launch day from a retail disc but then using 56k to get the updates and activation. Took me most of the day as Steam's lovely ClientRegistry.blob screwed up and I had to wait till late in the day for Steam support to contact me with the solution. Did manage to play it though.

This also made me want to look back at my Support account to try and compare the response time, but they seemed to change the system at some point as that isn't stored.

Checking the 5 times I have contacted support, kind of amazed how lucky I am. Between 2011 and 2015, all the issues had a first response within 2 days. 2 product changes, 1 refund, 1 missing game that was caused by paypal failing, for which valve contacted paypal themselves to resolve. 4 were resolved on the same day, and the most recent which was the Steam Controller was resolved within 11 day with a replacement controller from US to UK (including 3 days of testing), then 27 messages of bug fixing back and forth!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

JDM Tuner Racing -- MB-486B10D9294C8698 - Taken by bobnowhere

Key from https://gleam.io/OihG6/sacra-terra-or-jdm-tuner

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Vazra, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Vazra, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The House in Fata Morgana -- MB-F3CB03402DEC352D - Taken by Black Soma. 18 entrants total.

t1469834948z1.png

bigzgod

Shiiit, I missed Mad Max price glitch.

Edit: I guess not really? After looking up the steamdb page, current deal is the lowest.

Yeah, there was a glitch. 83% off in EU, 98% off in HK/SEA region. Not really that great a deal for ROW considering it was in HB Monthly.

dickroach

Move/copy the game installation folder to the new drive.
Uninstall ("delete local content") in Steam - this will apply to the existing recognised install.
Select to install in Steam and point it to the desired new drive (where you've already copied the installation to).
Steam should just verify the copied files and you're done, with a minimum of redownloading.

Alternatively, http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Either way, perhaps test it with something small first to make sure that it's all working as expected?

go big or go stay at home
tried it with NBA16. didn't work. downloading 44GB now. :\ no biggie.

ALSO, I just started DB Xenoverse. anyone also just get it and wanna co-op some of those parallel missions (I think that's what they were called) this weekend?

Nzyme32

Steam Client Beta Update - July 29

Windows
  • Fix installation of some older games where install scripts were not correctly writing default values to the registry.

Steam Controller
  • Fixed a bug that could lead to pathological memory usage/crashes in certain configuration cases.
  • Made steam controller absolute mouse movements high DPI aware. This fixes problems where mouse regions and cursor position settings would be wrong in some circumstances when the user was using high DPI scaling settings in some Windows OS revisions.
  • Fixed haptic location not always being updated properly with activators.
  • Now when adding a new full press activator, it will use the mode's current haptic setting for the default setting of the new activator.
  • Fixed Activator based Haptics on specfic switch buttons to be correct based on physical position on the controller.
  • Fix for a bug when turning off legacy mode while editing Triggers.
  • Fix for incorrect modes being created when a developer is creating a new native configuration.
  • Fix for configurator option not showing up if game was VR capable and had VR controller support but also had non-VR and normal controller support.
  • Fix for adding action sets to fully legacy configs in games that have native configs. Now legacy action set configs and native configs won't stomp each other.
  • Fix for mode shifted mouse regions flipping their initial Y position if "teleport on start" was set that was introduced with recent set cursor position additions.
  • Cleaned up Choose Binding panel a bit visually to improve legibility.
  • Added icons for Controller Actions such as Change Action Set, Take Screenshot, Move Cursor, and Show On Screen Keyboard.
  • Fixed '\' not showing up on keyboard layout.
  • Added RB/LB buttons to change current action set when editing a configuration.
  • Fixed a few missing localization strings.
  • Fixed Set Cursor Position binding not functioning properly on Linux.
  • Fixed Streaming gyro not functioning properly.
  • Fixed gamepad binding highlights being offset in certain overlay resolutions

Uzzy

I think no one posted this here yet, but anyway:

The price is way lower than I expected, I'll wait for the reviews to drop but it look pretty neat.

One of the two games that I'm looking forward to next month. Yeah, I'm excited for another game that explores philosophical issues about the nature of human consciousness. It's kinda my thing.

AHA-Lambda

Anyone playing Umineko, got a question!

OK, I've not finished episode 4 yet I just got to the first twilight, so keep that in mind as I ask this question.

Why on earth did Kinzo not summon Ronove, the Chiester sisters or Virgillia in the other episodes if he has the power to do so?

And I thought in Episode 3 Kumasawa and Virgillia were the same person but now they're not?

And now Beatrice is claiming to have set up the idea of smashing people's heads only halfway so Battler can identify them. But how?? She wasn't the one to kill them it was Kinzo who did it??

Nzyme32

I'm really thankful for the Steam Controller devs.

Yep. I really like it when Valve really heavily iterate and support something an ever expanding feature set and improvements. Although that comes with the downside of a constant set of different bugs popping up and being fixed, the speed at which that is happening is nothing I can really complain about.

Playing character action games without being used to the Steam Controller is a bit, uh, under performing, on my part not theirs.

Yeah Nabs. The Steam Controller might be the fastest iterated thing in all of Valve, it seems.

Right on, Nzyme.

Nzyme32

Damn, so many games to get. Some new and many of which I have been a huge fan of their predecessors or the developers prior work:

Abzu - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 2nd August
No Man's Sky - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 12th August
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - - - - - - - - - - 23rd August
The Turing Test - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 30th August
Mafia III - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 7th October
Sid Meier's Civilization VI - - - - - - - - - - - -21st October
Dishonored 2 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -11th Novemeber
South Park: The Fractured But Whole - - 6th December
Tyranny - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - TBA 2016
Walking Dead: Season 3 - - - - - - - - - - - - - TBA 2016
Aragami - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -TBA 2016
Cuphead - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - TBA 2016

Not sure how to decide on all of these...

I'm thinking of skipping No Man's Sky and picking up Deus Ex MD, as I am a huge fan of the original and to a less extent HR. Guess I'll have to miss Turing Test for a little while... Mafia 3 is 2 days before my birthday, so I'll probably justify it that way. Probably wait out Civ VI due to the absurd UK price. Might have to wait till Christmas to grab Dishonoured 2 and South Park. I know I'll want Tyranny but I'll may try to put it off till I can finish off Pillars of Eternity. Amazing end to 2016. Best in years I think for me.

Oh and 2017 is shaping up to be pretty good to.

AHA-Lambda

Yeah AAA stuff is pretty sparse once again this year for me, but loads of indie/smaller stuff

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Dishonored 2
South Park: The Fractured But Whole
Divinity: Original Sin II
Aragami
Shadow Warrior 2
The Walking Dead: Season 3
Cuphead
Sometimes Always Monsters
Styx: Shards of Darkness
Tyranny

And then 2017 is looking pretty good too!

Nzyme32

Divinity: Original Sin II
Aragami
Cuphead

Oh of course, how could I forget these. Backed Divinity OS 1 and 2, and yet to event start 1 due to pillars / planescape. Once I'm done with those I can get on with those and the D:OS2. Aragami and Cuphead are seeming like instant purchases.

I'm expecting a surprise game announcement between October and December. Seems like a tradition for something to come out of no where.

The only game i'm buying Day 1 in August is Re4

I'm guessing no PC update / version?

Lomax

After not having my computer for a week and a half I'm somewhat afraid to open Steam as there will probably be a ton of updates that will want to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom