• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludens

Banned
is Deponia The (now In)Complete Journey one giant game with all the puzzles, or is it still split into 3 games in a menu or something?

also wa it ever "fixed"? I remember hearing it had a bunch of problems at launch

It's just a "collection", you have this map in which you can choose the episode but the games are exactly the same you can find "unbundled".

Corpekata

Banned
Getting a weird bug at the end of The Room. Sliding gem puzzle maze, where the gem doesn't want to slide forward anymore. Looked at a video guide to make sure I hadn't missd some obscure part of the puzzle but nope, it's just meant to slide normally.

Going to be really annoyed if there's not some fix for it since I'm right near the end. Steam forums appear to be down currently so can't really check.

Ludens

Banned
I know I'm probably in the minority around here, but I've never really been big into any of Valve's games myself. If somebody told me tomorrow that they were officially abandoning game development to focus all their internal resources on Steam for the foreseeable future, I'd be like, "*shrug* Okay".

Well, they became famous because the first Half-Life was also the first cinematic experience for an fps. Until that moment, FPS were Doom and Quake, with no plot at all.

Endruen

I thought that by now you would know how they number the sequels...
Final Fantasy X-2 is not Final Fantasy 12

You can't even compare those two. Neptunia is called VII. No dash, no anything, and it's not even V-II but III-II? They have to get their shit together.

Played a bit of Castle Crashers, that I bought during last year's summer sale. I should enjoy it, being a fan of the Golden Axe games, and considering the suprising amount of depth it has. But there's something about it that annoys me. Can't really put a finger on what it is though.

Played a bit of Castle Crashers, that I bought during last year's summer sale. I should enjoy it, being a fan of the Golden Axe games, and considering the suprising amount of depth it has. But there's something about it that annoys me. Can't really put a finger on what it is though.
It's repetitive. Needs friends to keep it fun.

Deques

lB2tmwh.png

Ludens

Banned

I think this prove the theory I posted on the Sale thread: since discounts were kinda crappy compared to other sales, people bought stuff they wouldn't buy otherwise, just to not left the sale empty handed.
This means in the future we'll get worse discounts and still games will sell a lot.

I'm just waiting for someone to reveal that it's not really XIII, it's XI-II.

It's the combination of lots of RotTK games. It has features from some games, while at the same time missing some other features as well.

Don't do it, we must stand strong and wait for the 75% offer in 2023. I'll just keep playing VIII until then.

RotTK XIV would be already out by then. ._.

There is countdown on Evolve page

https://evolvegame.com/

F2P announcement?

Them them long enough.

Sch1sm

I think this prove the theory I posted on the Sale thread: since discounts were kinda crappy compared to other sales, people bought stuff they wouldn't buy otherwise, just to not left the sale empty handed.
This means in the future we'll get worse discounts and still games will sell a lot.

Alternatively, because people didn't spend so much on an, "OH MY GOD. I ONLY HAVE X AMOUNT OF HOURS TO CAPITALISE ON THIS DEAL," they had more cash to spend on games that actually appealed to them (and it ended up being more games for the buck)?

yuraya

rip dailies and flash deals

I think its time to let them go for good. They are never returning.

2f0.gif

Since both are published by 2K, I'm gonna predict an Evolve X Battleborn crossover because that will put butts on seats.

Funny thing is..if both launched as F2P games the communities would have probably been more healthy long term and there would of been much less hate for them. They would have probably made more money via microtransactions as well. Over hyped E3 media darlings launching @60$ as multi only games is bad call on their end. Blizzard can get away with it but 2K won't.

Wok

I have been trying some of my Humble monthly games of the past months and I have been pretty surprised by how good some of these games are, namely:
  • Cthulhu Realms: the game is surprisingly interesting, it plays like a board game, and I can get to play against other people, with a few seconds of wait in the evening in Europe,
  • JumpJet Rex: a 2D platformer with awesome controls and surprisingly enticing challenges,
  • The Masterplan: I love the visuals, it is just that the difficulty is too high,
  • Nuclear throne: there is the binding of Isaac vibe, it is not my kind of game but it feels good,
  • Oddworld: New 'n' Tastsy: amazing graphics, very impressive game,
  • Planetary Annihilation: TITANS: nice graphics, very smooth tutorial, zoom function and gameplay,
  • Shantae and the Pirate's Curse: simple and kind of ugly at first sight, but very pleasant in the end.
  • Wasteland 2: Director's Cut: exactly what I would like to play when I think of a strategic turn-based RPG in a post-apocalyptic setting. More interesting than Krater for sure.

dex3108

IT is interesting that Take2/2K failed to launch 2 new IPs this gen. They are similar IPs though but Take 2/2K needs to go back to more story driven IPs instead of trying these online coop shooters.

derExperte

Ehhh, the overall dollar amount doesn't mean all that much when comparing from year to year. Steam is growing so the amount should go up.

I'd like to see the average amount spent per user and compare that to previous years.

The user base didn't grow 50% tho and it's interesting that the revenue grew much more than the number of sold games. For me personally the reason I bought more is that these days fewer games I'm interested in end up in bundles whose overall quality is at an all-time low so waiting for those has become less appealing.

I have been trying some of my Humble monthly games of the past months and I have been pretty surprised by how good some of these games are, namely:
  • JumpJet Rex: a 2D platformer with awesome controls and surprisingly enticing challenges,

I was expecting a normal 2D platformer, like Shovel Knight. Instead I got a weird time trials/collectathon game. Didn't like it at all.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So are Valve moving to a new building because they are expanding or do they just want a more fresh space, I wonder.

Arthea

I've finished the Room two

As you probably already know the Room is one of my favourite puzzle games, so my expectation for two were pretty high. And I must say that I agree with whoever posted (sorry forgot who) that second one isn't as good. The Room was more elaborate, well thought, mysterious and alchemic. If even mysterious feel can be diminished by this being the sequel, everything else hardly is. What the Room two lacks is that feel of you fixing a huge puzzle and then seeing it unfold before your eyes in the spectacular manner.
Still liked it well enough to finish fast, and a price point is just right.

Now waiting for the third Room begins.

Wok

I was expecting a normal 2D platformer, like Shovel Knight. Instead I got a weird time trials/collectathon game. Didn't like it at all.

This is what I meant by challenges. I liked it, especially since some interactions between gameplay mechanics and the environment are hidden, and you discover them by trying to solve time trials.

Arthea

As for Nep Nep naming quirks, it's a parody series, guys, get over it!

As for sale being better of course it will be: lesser discounts, more expensive games and much more games on steam with more steam users. We just can't win this.
... Or we can all move back to gog!

Jalal

Everyone should move to GOG.

Considering it.

I put some of the games I got from using GOG connect on a usb, and moved them to a computer at work which is'nt connected to the internet.

Seriously made me reconsider why I even bother with steam.

GoG connect is the secret weapon!

• Cthulhu Realms: the game is surprisingly interesting, it plays like a board game, and I can get to play against other people, with a few seconds of wait in the evening in Europe,
  • The Masterplan: I love the visuals, it is just that the difficulty is too high,
  • Nuclear throne: there is the binding of Isaac vibe, it is not my kind of game but it feels good,
  • Oddworld: New 'n' Tastsy: amazing graphics, very impressive game,
  • Planetary Annihilation: TITANS: nice graphics, very smooth tutorial, zoom function and gameplay,
  • Shantae and the Pirate's Curse: simple and kind of ugly at first sight, but very pleasant in the end.
  • Wasteland 2: Director's Cut: exactly what I would like to play when I think of a strategic turn-based RPG in a post-apocalyptic setting. More interesting than Krater for sure.
Where you been, Wok? Us Indie Games thread folks been praising Masterplan and Nuclear Throne for...well, whatever months those games came out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom