• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this prove the theory I posted on the Sale thread: since discounts were kinda crappy compared to other sales, people bought stuff they wouldn't buy otherwise, just to not left the sale empty handed.
This means in the future we'll get worse discounts and still games will sell a lot.

That might be part of it. For me, I like the current sales format. I go in with a budget, pick out the games I want the most and buy them. I also have time to reconsider other deals and spend more money later. in the past, I would always be holding out for better daily deals and end up not buying a bunch of games I wanted to get.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Musous are... strange. Im playing the One Piece one and im enjoying it quite a bit, but Im enjoying it because as a huge OP fanboy, I apreciate seeing the attacks and characters / situations from the show ive seen a million times.

The game / genre itself is... brainless? I cant imagine myself playing one of these without the license (the OP license in this case). Actually reminding me of Marvel Heroes (and ive put almost 2k hours into that game as u know so I like it to say the least), like I love the game, but I love it because of the license, if it was the exact same game with generic heroes or some other setting I wouldnt even touch it.

So what im saying is that people that are super into these games regardless of the license are weird :3

Granjinha

I think this prove the theory I posted on the Sale thread: since discounts were kinda crappy compared to other sales, people bought stuff they wouldn't buy otherwise, just to not left the sale empty handed.
This means in the future we'll get worse discounts and still games will sell a lot.

-> already bought most games

-> new games dont get 90% discount

-> equals crappy sales

steam sales cycle

Wok

Where you been, Wok? Us Indie Games thread folks been praising Masterplan and Nuclear Throne for...well, whatever months those games came out

I know, but I am not always convinced... until I see it. Plus I actually got them months later, thanks to Humble Monthly.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Speevy, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Marvellous Miss Take -- MB-5E4D96E5B8EC89DB - Taken by redlacs. 11 entrants total.
Samorost 3 -- MB-3C924EAD3F01B46B - Taken by Trellisaze. 32 entrants total.
Ys VI -- MB-B459D800DC234CC0 - Taken by darkchewie. 49 entrants total.
Her Story -- MB-F267B1287F0182DA - Taken by Fitts. 7 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Prison Architect -- MB-C11AA6667619EEA8 - Taken by bobnowhere. 23 entrants total.
Lumini -- MB-FB7FAD372FA510F2 - Taken by neonglow. 13 entrants total.
Mini Metro -- MB-D148ED5967237836 - Taken by ExoSoul. 13 entrants total.
Lumo -- MB-EFD74B4301941C5F - Taken by derExperte. 21 entrants total.
Ghost 1.0 -- MB-F38EEC16B3137D29 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 51 entrants total.
CRAWL -- MB-90243C3999CC3543 - Taken by billmcdougal. 14 entrants total.
Samorost 3 Soundtrack Plus Art Book -- MB-5F0D640EF3B4F1E3 - Taken by septicore. 6 entrants total.

t1467852387z1.png

Tizoc

Musous are... strange. Im playing the One Piece one and im enjoying it quite a bit, but Im enjoying it because as a huge OP fanboy, I apreciate seeing the attacks and characters / situations from the show ive seen a million times.

The game / genre itself is... brainless? I cant imagine myself playing one of these without the license (the OP license in this case). Actually reminding me of Marvel Heroes (and ive put almost 2k hours into that game as u know so I like it to say the least), like I love the game, but I love it because of the license, if it was the exact same game with generic heroes or some other setting I wouldnt even touch it.

So what im saying is that people that are super into these games regardless of the license are weird :3
Says the guy who put 2000 hours in marvel heroes :v

Phawx

Nice giveaway Speevy. You're incredibly generous as I always see you doing non-bundled giveaways.

gelf

Played a bit of Castle Crashers, that I bought during last year's summer sale. I should enjoy it, being a fan of the Golden Axe games, and considering the suprising amount of depth it has. But there's something about it that annoys me. Can't really put a finger on what it is though.
I'm the same. I'm a huge fan of the genre but Castle Crashers didn't click with me at all. Can't think exactly why aside from not liking the levelling up elements. But it was more then just that.

Tizoc

Played a bit of Castle Crashers, that I bought during last year's summer sale. I should enjoy it, being a fan of the Golden Axe games, and considering the suprising amount of depth it has. But there's something about it that annoys me. Can't really put a finger on what it is though.
Do tou have capcom's d&d duology?

Finally bought Tales of Zestiria for €16. And I find out that it has some expensive DLC too.

They're not worth it as most of them are just costumes anyway. Especially the Alisha DLC, stay away from it, at all cost. Just watch the cutscenes on youtube and all will be good.

That might be part of it. For me, I like the current sales format. I go in with a budget, pick out the games I want the most and buy them. I also have time to reconsider other deals and spend more money later. in the past, I would always be holding out for better daily deals and end up not buying a bunch of games I wanted to get.

This is my experience. Also most of the Steam sales end up around holidays when I travel. So almost every sale I would internally battle about how much to spend, hold out for some later sale, and then end up traveling somewhere with no internet and miss the rest of the sale.

This sale, I could buy the stuff I wanted up front. Nothing to be missed. I preferred it that way.

I did wish that GOG had their sale concurrently with Steam; there were some games I would have bought there instead. Oh well.

Ruruja

I put loads of hours into DW4 on the PS2 back in the day, getting all the rare items/weapons/mounts etc. I can't imagine myself doing that with another DW game though, it's like once you've played one you've played them all.

Lain

I wish Bamco would've discounted the DLC for Tales when they discounted the main game. Next sale, perhaps.

Catshade

Has there been new games added since they launched it?

Nope, currently there's nothing there at all. A missed opportunity to have new batches after steam summer sale, since lots of people might've bought eligible games during the summer sale.

It doesn't prove anything beyond the fact that there's a correlation.

I could say the economy is better this year, Brit-bros aside, than it was this time last year and that is why the sale was better.

Or, the staggering amount of good games that have been released in the time since last summer and this summer have created a lot more "must have" situations. The drop
fucking walk off a cliff
in bundle quality that derExperte mentioned. The increasing usage of region locks, particularly with nuuvem. The rapid succession of "holy shit the 970/980" to the "holy shit the 1070/1080."

I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your Doom 'n' Gloom narrative. I'm saying don't be so quick to pat yourself on the back over a little bit of confirmation bias.

Kaleinc

Banned
I put loads of hours into DW4 on the PS2 back in the day, getting all the rare items/weapons/mounts etc. I can't imagine myself doing that with another DW game though, it's like once you've played one you've played them all.
Those games have the same hud, animations, effects, look like they did on ps2, play like they played on ps2. The target audience is probably very .. dedicated lol.

Ludens

Banned
It doesn't prove anything beyond the fact that there's a correlation.

I could say the economy is better this year, Brit-bros aside, than it was this time last year and that is why the sale was better.

Or, the staggering amount of good games that have been released in the time since last summer and this summer have created a lot more "must have" situations. The drop
fucking walk off a cliff
in bundle quality that derExperte mentioned. The increasing usage of region locks, particularly with nuuvem. The rapid succession of "holy shit the 970/980" to the "holy shit the 1070/1080."

I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your Doom 'n' Gloom narrative. I'm saying don't be so quick to pat yourself on the back over a little bit of confirmation bias.

? Pat myself? Yeah, of course there are many factors occuring, I just think the one I described is one of them.
As you said, before good indies were a pretty much sure presence on HumbleBundle, now it's not like that anymore, and if usually a good indie is in, it's in the highest tier or Humble Monthly, not really a cheap option like in the past.

Tizoc

Those games have the same hud, animations, effects, look like they did on ps2, play like they played on ps2. The target audience is probably very .. dedicated lol.

Or they don't care about graphics that much.
How much Musou have you played?
I admit by today's standards the visuals do feel like they leave much to be desired, but we're all buying Telltale's next game despite using the same gfx engine....

Corpekata

Banned

Shhh don't let the musou fans hear you.

I agree though, especially since there are multiple releases a year. I think there's some value to be had even if you're not a fan of the license just as a "do an easy cool combo" waste of time, but that's presuming you're not buying every single one of them like a lot of musou fans do.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Got about an hour into it, but I'm enjoying Shadows of Mordor quite a bit too. It seems to be the AssCreed experience I wanted and didn't get from III.

I use to play a lot of Musou titles. II was the best PS2 launch title and I continued on. 100%; II, III, IIIXL, IV, SW1+XL, SW2, and Gundam Musou I. I still feel like they are a title I can pick up every now and then play through, but the formula has not changed at all. This is also due to fan's reception of changes, where most changes have been met with hostility.

The game is definitely brainless, but pretty fun. I still hope they bring a Gundam to PC.

Endruen

They're nice for coop or if you love the license. I enjoyed Hyrule Warriors a lot because I'm a huge Zelda fan. But yeah, I can't picture myself playing Dynasty Warriors solo.

Got about an hour into it, but I'm enjoying Shadows of Mordor quite a bit too. It seems to be the AssCreed experience I wanted and didn't get from III

I hope it clicks with you better than it did with me. I got stuck for a long period of time because I didn't realize that you're not really supposed to be killing the Warlords, there's no real benefit to doing so unless it's a story mission objective. I had to wait for people to get ranked up to certain places because I had made so many power gaps.

Then I got to the second area and just lost all interest because it was more of the same. I hear that when you get OP powered up it's a lot of fun, but I just wasn't feeling it.

Tizoc

Eh Mighty #9 is OK, it's not grand or anything but it's traditional Megaman styl and I can't fault that.

? Pat myself?

I meant "pat" as in saying something proves your theory when there's no actual proof beyond a tenuous correlation established through confirmation bias.

But when you say it, it sounds dirty. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Eh Mighty #9 is OK, it's not grand or anything but it's traditional Megaman styl and I can't fault that.

In a weird way, the bizarre release has made me want to play it a little more than if it were actually good.

Should go down because you cant buy the same game twice lol
:)
The user base didn't grow 50% tho and it's interesting that the revenue grew much more than the number of sold games. For me personally the reason I bought more is that these days fewer games I'm interested in end up in bundles whose overall quality is at an all-time low so waiting for those has become less appealing.
That is true, and with what looks to be prices not going so low, one would except a higher gross revenue amount. It's just that those numbers aren't as eye popping to me as they could be as it doesn't truly paint the whole overall picture.

sheaaaa

Would love to read a proper, short breakdown of the Musou series. Best Dynasty Warriors game, best Samurai Warriors game, best licensed Musou game (played Hyrule Warriors, was pretty good).

Tizoc

I meant "pat" as in saying something proves your theory when there's no actual proof beyond a tenuous correlation established through confirmation bias.

But when you say it, it sounds dirty. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

In a weird way, the bizarre release has made me want to play it a little more than if it were actually good.

One thing I will say though is that, this game taking 3 years to release baffles me, there really isn't anything about the game that would warrant a 3 year 'development' time, made worse by the fact that console release performs worse than PC, where it runs as fine as can be.
Had this released after a year of the KS' ending, or at most 2 years, it might have been received less harshly.

sheaaaa

Anyone ran through Limbo again in anticipation for Inside? Took me just over 2 hours according to Steam, even though I'd forgotten most of the stuff past the forest. Still a very atmospheric game that I enjoyed very much.

Pachimari

Anyone ran through Limbo again in anticipation for Inside? Took me just over 2 hours according to Steam, even though I'd forgotten most of the stuff past the forest. Still a very atmospheric game that I enjoyed very much.

I'm going through it for the first time now, and I think I have spent four or more days on it. Hopefully I'll beat it today or tomorrow.

sheaaaa

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (sheaaaa, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Unmechanical -- MB-5327A659C1A976E7 - Taken by dave is ok
TIS 100 -- MB-15B8BD2F09F6D006 - Taken by Xater
Knights of Pen and Paper -- MB-2D8F15435F7EB179 - Taken by fifasnipe2224

But there are plenty of games that do the Megaman style game better, that's the problem. For such an mediocre game, it puts it at the bottom of the tier when there are other options that do that better (hell, Megaman 9 and 10 exist).

Also performance problems on some systems really suck for what should be the opposite of an intensive game.

sheaaaa

I'm going through it for the first time now, and I think I have spent four or more days on it. Hopefully I'll beat it today or tomorrow.

What do you think so far? I see a lot of vitriol spat its way, but I really enjoyed it the first time I played it in 2010 and the second time yesterday.

Kaleinc

Banned
Or they don't care about graphics that much.
How much Musou have you played?
I admit by today's standards the visuals do feel like they leave much to be desired, but we're all buying Telltale's next game despite using the same gfx engine....
Gameplay is the same too. I remember playing something like 10-15 years ago and inputs were
j,l
j,j,l
j,j,j,l
j,j,j,j,j,j,l,l,l
where j is light attack, l - heavy or something like that.
Then several years later tried another one and it was identical.

Tizoc

Gameplay is the same too. I remember playing something like 10-15 years ago and inputs were
j,l
j,j,l
j,j,j,l
j,j,j,j,j,j,l,l,l
where j is light attack, l - heavy or something like that.
Then several years later tried another one and it was identical.

They're not stlyish action games; they're a form of beat'em-up. You're going to want to wrack up the most KOs you can while playing. DQ Heroes alters this by giving you objectives and targets to protect, and in general higher difficulties in Musou games make it tougher to beat stages in, hence why it recommends starting on lower difficulties and working your way up.
Playing them in short sessions is the key, if you're going in for a form of stylish action game, you're doing it wrong.

Bought Pang Adventures on Chrono.gg. I wanted to get the game during the Summer Seal but it was never discounted. For more than 50% off, I said sure why not. I could always go for a Pang/Buster Bros. game.

I think the Kingdom Under Fire games were the perfect way to approach musou.

You could just go for the glory and try to smash things but it would be very, very difficult for you. By reinforcing the overlay of a strategy game, you had to be conscious of where your units where and where they were heading.

Then, when you finally got into the musou part of the game, it really felt like you were getting down in it, spotlighting clashes in a larger battlefield.

Tizoc

I think the Kingdom Under Fire games were the perfect way to approach musou.

You could just go for the glory and try to smash things but it would be very, very difficult for you. By reinforcing the overlay of a strategy game, you had to be conscious of where your units where and where they were heading.

Then, when you finally got into the musou part of the game, it really felt like you were getting down in it, spotlighting clashes in a larger battlefield.

Sengoku Basara could do really good on Steam if released at the right time and priced right. It being from Capcom means it's gonna be a better PC release/port than w-Force's best PC port :V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom