• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amzin

50% increase in revenue from the previous sale is a lot. I personally chalk it up to the majority of people not getting into flash / dailies and so preferring the new format (less chance of people waiting till the last day and forgetting to purchase, too), and the increase of quality indies on Steam that start around $15-$20 and are discounted a fairly reasonable 40%-50%. That's basically all I bought this sale, but $130 worth: Ghost 1.0, Axiom Verge, Immortal Defense, Hard West, Thea, Ball/Solus bundle, etc.

Almost all were at new historic lows, all (so far) have been great experiences for the price. That's really the sale I want to see, quality games at the best price they've been at, that I want to play right now. There's plenty of slightly older games at ridiculous prices that I've already bought and played and that's fine, people on more of a budget can sink their teeth into those too.

Sengoku Basara could do really good on Steam if released at the right time and priced right. It being from Capcom means it's gonna be a better PC release/port than w-Force's best PC port :V

Too bad Capcom USA gives zero cares about Sengoku Basara.

I like the games, but gave up due to the lack of localizations.

Drakhyrr

For me, it was also the sale I've spent the least since I've become a Steam member. But then again, it's been 12 years. I have a huge backlog and my country is in a financial crisis, so there's no reason for me not to wait for prices to get lower.

From the results, I suppose we're a minority, though. PC gaming has grown a lot in the past few years. Most people are relatively new users with relatively few games. Huge, high discounts Steam sales certainly helped up PC gaming from it's low point, but there's no need for that now.

75% off will be my minimum requirement for a while yet, though.

Grief.exe

I'd imagine the average discount going down was, in part, due to the sheer amount of games released. The amount of titles released in 2015 and 2016 eclipses the amount of games released in every other year of Steam combined.

For me, it was also the sale I've spent the least since I've become a Steam member. But then again, it's been 12 years. I have a huge backlog and my country is in a financial crisis, so there's no reason for me not to wait for prices to get lower.

From the results, I suppose we're a minority, though. PC gaming has grown a lot in the past few years. Most people are relatively new users with relatively few games. Huge, high discounts Steam sales certainly helped up PC gaming from it's low point, but there's no need for that now.

Same situation I was in this sale. Least amount of money I've ever spent on a Steam sale, but that was mainly due to outside factors (backlog/Overwatch) then an actual issue with Steam.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell

dex3108

I'd imagine the average discount going down was, in part, due to the sheer amount of games released. The amount of titles released in 2015 and 2016 eclipses the amount of games released in every other year of Steam combined.

When you can get AAA game cheaper on PSN Sale then on Steam Sale you know something is wrong.

Tizoc

Too bad Capcom USA gives zero cares about Sengoku Basara.

I like the games, but gave up due to the lack of localizations.

They dropped the ball with the mishandling of SB3, but if SB5 gets announced they should try their luck with that and give it a Steam release.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
there are several reasons why we buy less. I shall list mine, which I assume most of you share some if not all of them:

- ridiculous backlog

- the rise of bundles made buying smaller indie games less appealing unless you are going to play them right now. The phrase "it will be bundled eventually" is more and more real.

- speaking of bundles, the humble monthly made this even "worse" as this one in particular tends to have high profile indie games like sattelite reign or kentucky route zero this month for example. And with a mystery game policy, you want to buy these games even less (again, unless you are going to play them imediatly) because humble monthly might have it and you already paid your sub

- the "what am I doing with my life" 3k games collection (or whatever number made this "click" with you). What once was a fun acitvity in itself, buying games, for me reached a breaking point when I broke 3 thousand games more or less. This is tied to the backlog reason but it goes deeper than that because you realise youll never play all this shit...ever.

- less money overall, which may or not affect you (hopefully not), especially for us in countries with declining economies and problems, or hell, its been a few years, maybe now you have kids and you cant spend as much, or whatever reason.

I spent about 60€ this sale, mostly on games I knew I was going to play now or wouldnt be bundled (Ghost 1.0 which I played and finished, and One Piece which im playing now for example). In fact I initially got a 100€ gift card which I intended to spent, but ended up saving 60€ (I already had about 20€ leftover from before) for No Man's Sky if it turns out good, or for whatever other triple A game I might want day 1, instead of buying 15 more games I probably wouldnt play anytime soon just because they were cheap (as I did in previous sales)

I actually think the sale itself wasnt even bad, several discounts were quite good and better than the xmas sale, its just I have changed as a steam consumer and thats ok.

Pachimari

What do you think so far? I see a lot of vitriol spat its way, but I really enjoyed it the first time I played it in 2010 and the second time yesterday.
I really like it but I have been stuck five times. I have five save points left but I'm really stuck now that I'm playing with gravity.

Ludens

Banned
there are several reasons why we buy less. I shall list mine, which I assume most of you share some if not all of them:

- ridiculous backlog

- the rise of bundles made buying smaller indie games less appealing unless you are going to play them right now. The phrase "it will be bundled eventually" is more and more real.

- speaking of bundles, the humble monthly made this even "worse" as this one in particular tends to have high profile indie games like sattelite reign or kentucky route zero this month for example. And with a mystery game policy, you want to buy these games even less (again, unless you are going to play them imediatly) because humble monthly might have it and you already paid your sub

- the "what am I doing with my life" 3k games collection (or whatever number made this "click" with you). What once was a fun acitvity in itself, buying games, for me reached a breaking point when I broke 3 thousand games more or less. This is tied to the backlog reason but it goes deeper than that because you realise youll never play all this shit...ever.

- less money overall, which may or not affect you (hopefully not), especially for us in countries with declining economies and problems, or hell, its been a few years, maybe now you have kids and you cant spend as much, or whatever reason.

I spent about 60€ this sale, mostly on games I knew I was going to play now or wouldnt be bundled (Ghost 1.0 which I played and finished, and One Piece which im playing now for example). In fact I initially got a 100€ gift card which I intended to spent, but ended up saving 60€ (I already had about 20€ leftover from before) for No Man's Sky if it turns out good, or for whatever other triple A game I might want day 1, instead of buying 15 more games I probably wouldnt play anytime soon just because they were cheap (as I did in previous sales)

I actually think the sale itself wasnt even bad, several discounts were quite good and better than the xmas sale, its just I have changed as a steam consumer and thats ok.

I totally agree with you. I personally spent 14€ on this sale (well, actually 16.50€ if you include Why am I dead at sea I bought the day the sale ended), and this including some gifts too.
I already completed Reveal the Deep, Shower with your Daddy, I beat 1/4 of Hitman go, so in the end I played (or I'm playing) what I took. I'd like to take one or two "full price" games I really want instead of, let's say, 10 indies which eventually will be bundled. What helps me is the fact I'm not a triple A user, in fact usually the Day 1 titles I take are around 20-30 anyway (last triple A game I bought on release was MGSV, and this because a friend sold me his Nvidia code for 25€ anyway).

I desired to take Resident Evil 7 on release date too (if I could find a good deal, of course...let's say around 40€ or so), but after I played the demo, I'm not sure I'll do that.

Also I try to play all games I purchase, soon or later: I still have on my HDD Lisa, which I took during the christmas sale, but I managed to complete recently Legend of Grimrock 2, which was installed for...well, a while. Usually if I buy something I'll play it, soon or later...this excluding bundle stuff, because often I take a bundle only because there's one interesting game in it, so I skip what it's not interesting to me.

lB2tmwh.png

7c9iTb2.jpg

Amzin

Unless GoG gets the same level of indie games I like as Steam / Humble, I'll hold off on dedicating too much to them yet :p Also their GoG connect thing still does not work for me so that's annoying

Ventara

Woah woah.. where's this discussion heading to? Are we going to boycott Steam soon?

It's a thought that has occasionally crossed my mind. Been thinking of just transferring whatever DRM-free games I have there and just starting anew, completely DRM-free. As convenient it is, I can't help but feel it has an equal amount of distractions. Not too mention how Valve chooses to turn a blind eye to some shady practices and whatnot.

But then I realize that's too much work and how lazy I am.

fallout

Steam is generating hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue a year at this point (if not more). The idea that a few thousand individuals on a gaming forum are representative of its user base is a little ridiculous.

50% increase in revenue from the previous sale is a lot. I personally chalk it up to the majority of people not getting into flash / dailies and so preferring the new format (less chance of people waiting till the last day and forgetting to purchase, too), and the increase of quality indies on Steam that start around $15-$20 and are discounted a fairly reasonable 40%-50%. That's basically all I bought this sale, but $130 worth: Ghost 1.0, Axiom Verge, Immortal Defense, Hard West, Thea, Ball/Solus bundle, etc.

Almost all were at new historic lows, all (so far) have been great experiences for the price. That's really the sale I want to see, quality games at the best price they've been at, that I want to play right now. There's plenty of slightly older games at ridiculous prices that I've already bought and played and that's fine, people on more of a budget can sink their teeth into those too.
A big thing is that Valve does have a lot of data for sales and probably has a good idea of what works and what doesn't. Why was FTL always a flash sale back when they had them? Because it always sold a ton.

Momentary

Banned
Sengoku Basara could do really good on Steam if released at the right time and priced right. It being from Capcom means it's gonna be a better PC release/port than w-Force's best PC port :V

I've been eyeballing Estival Versus and Fate/Extella. Hopefully they make their way to PC as well. Neptunia U and Shinovi ran so well. They weren't the best, b it they ran like butter and I was able to down sample. Things you want do with KT musou.

Grief.exe

Steam is generating hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue a year at this point (if not more). The idea that a few thousand individuals on a gaming forum are representative of its user base is a little ridiculous.

I believe Valve is well over a billion in revenue per year at this point.

Mivey

I believe Valve is well over a billion in revenue per year at this point.
hundreds of millions profit, more likely. Or is the Steam infrastructure so expensive that it costs them over 900 million? Cannot really imagine that, but I guess you blow up any costs, if you don't do it well.

sheaaaa

I'm stuck in Limbo again. Only four more save points to go.

Solution:
I think that's the one where you have to make the left block stick to the top and the right one stay on the bottom. Activate the magnet and use gravity in short bursts, so the left one gets stuck but the right doesn't.

Anno

Tiny Guardians was quite a bit of fun on my phone. Guess I'll give it another play and see how it works on PC.

SSPssp

BundleStars Majestic Bundle

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/majestic-bundle

And I'm pleased that Speedrunners sold so well :)

Good Bundle! I hope bundlestars has more of these instead of trying to shovel garbage like everyone else!

My extras:

ModBot said:
Instructions for SSPssp:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (SSPssp, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Dub Dash -- MB-A8300F1A928A4CC6 - Taken by TheAutomator
On My Own -- MB-F14BC2287BCA3B65 - Taken by Vuze

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Chariot -- MB-AC201C759C0506B9 - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.
On My Own -- MB-2270B8E4E4D9DCBC - Taken by ExoSoul. 1 entrants total.

t1467822930z1.png

happy birthday modbot

madjoki

Quantum Break is currently 52 EUROS on MS's "Ultimate Game Sale"

ROFL

Yeah, euro prices are really bad. I mean Steam MSRP are bad too, but at least Steam has good sales. Then there's third party sellers...

Maybe I still remember this game exists by time it's affordable.

and I guess Play anywhere ensures Microsofts PC games will continue to retail at 70€ like console games.

Pretty interesting data there. I do wonder how many of those Mordor's copies were sold due to price glitch

Probably not that many. It was like 20min tops.

Vuze

Yeah, euro prices are really bad. I mean Steam MSRP are bad too, but at least Steam has good sales. Then there's third party sellers...

Maybe I still remember this game exists by time it's affordable.

and I guess Play anywhere ensures Microsofts PC games will continue to retail at 70€ like console games.
Good thing about Play Anwhere is that you can buy games with regional pricing like on Xbox itself. Not the case for Win10 Store exclusives like QB.

Rhaknar

Riders of Icarus, a new F2P mmo with a focus on taming / collecting mounts is out. Seems interesting at the very least

hundreds of millions profit, more likely. Or is the Steam infrastructure so expensive that it costs them over 900 million? Cannot really imagine that, but I guess you blow up any costs, if you don't do it well.
I'd like to know how much bandwidth costs them :D

Nzyme32

I've had the opposite situation though - almost 12 years since joining Steam, and this is the most I've spent since 2007 Winter Sale. It's more convenient and fun for me to dig through the sale in a day, but then I see a few things from others that I end up getting throughout.

2007 Winter was the best due to the £ being so high vs the $ and Steam still using $, so I ended up buying most of the anthology stuff for each publisher. Was great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom