• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
5zzb9Dx.gif

thewalkingdeadmichonno8sva.jpg

Ridiculously short episodes and still not any more polished than usual. I did enjoy some of the awful decisions I was able to make and I am curious if my choosing the worst thing I could do at all times led to all of the deaths or if some of them are built in. The last death in particular was hilarious because I didn't even make the choice that led to it intentionally. I don't watch the show so Michonne wasn't anything special for me and her backstory was pretty generic. The side characters were bland and underdeveloped.

blackmesac0sb2.jpg

Valve shouldn't let them charge for this mediocre mod. It still looks dated 99% of the time and there is like zero optimization. Surface Tension, one of my all-time favorite videogame levels, was was totally unfun. They have no original ideas. To improve/modernize the puzzles they just took puzzles from the HL2 games and shoved them in here. A lot of the coding is super unfair to the player too. The fights with the helicopter demonstrate this best- it's incredibly easy to take a lot of damage due to the laser accuracy and absurd firing rate and it flies around at a speed that clearly doesn't jive with the RPG laser tracking at all. The helicopter fights were fun in the original. Here it's just a frustrating quicksave fest. The combat is a total shit show in general. They made some truly awful changes. The worst is the SMG. They decreased the clip size from 50 to 30, ammo storage from 250 to 150 and unless I was imagining things it shares it's ammo pool with the pistol. If their logic was that an MP5 and the pistol in the game both fire 9mm rounds.... well it's fucking stupid because Gordon isn't moving that ammo between two different clips depending on the gun that ammo pool is being decreased by and it's a fucking videogame. I think the only weapon that got buffed instead of nerfed was the hivehand. The enemies still take comparable damage (or in some cases higher?) to the original and the weapons changes mess with the gameplay loop in truly awful ways.

I can't wait to see how they think they are going to improve Xen.

theroomtwosasvb.jpg

Another tight port of the mobile release. I enjoyed the change to room scales puzzles from the intimate focus of the original game. While it does lead to a bit more searching to determine where to continue a puzzle next I think it allows for some pretty cool puzzling opportunities. The hint system still works really well in not totally sucking the reward out of solving something when using it a bit. I haven't played The Room Three on my iPad yet and I think I will hold off for the probable Steam port so that it isn't just another replay.

insideaxsbk.jpg

Definitely a very cool and highly polished experience. The ending and the opening are real highlights in different ways. The middle isn't quite as memorable but they have some clever (if a bit easy) puzzles and they never overuse mechanics. The animation is sublime and the art-style works really well, though I do prefer Limbo's a bit more. I think when placed next to Limbo I prefer Limbo overall too, but Inside is a great follow-up performance from the team.

doom2016udsfx.jpg

Oh wait...

doom20162n5sr0.jpg

doom20163cwskq.jpg

6kLxej7.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
god damn that black mesa takedown wow. I found the devs insufferable before release, classic case of too big for their britches indie scope creep and never felt good that they were authorized to charge for it. I have no idea if the game turned out well or not but seeing such a brutal review gives me a little bit of schadenfreude.

iosefe

I've never really tried any of these Minecraft/Terraria-esque games, but Starbound looks really interesting for some reason. Guess it's time to see what this kind of stuff is all about. Any advice or recommendations?
I had fun with it. It's had many changes and is getting full 1.0 release on July 22nd

I've never really tried any of these Minecraft/Terraria-esque games, but Starbound looks really interesting for some reason. Guess it's time to see what this kind of stuff is all about. Any advice or recommendations?

play terraria instead

god damn that black mesa takedown wow. I found the devs insufferable before release, classic case of too big for their britches indie scope creep and never felt good that they were authorized to charge for it. I have no idea if the game turned out well or not but seeing such a brutal review gives me a little bit of schadenfreude.

It's weird because I remember really enjoying the mod before it went to sale. Did something happen?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Anyone else get a humble email about theit account being accessed and to change their pass?

mp1990

Banned
blackmesac0sb2.jpg

Valve shouldn't let them charge for this mediocre mod. It still looks dated 99% of the time and there is like zero optimization. Surface Tension, one of my all-time favorite videogame levels, was was totally unfun. They have no original ideas. To improve/modernize the puzzles they just took puzzles from the HL2 games and shoved them in here. A lot of the coding is super unfair to the player too. The fights with the helicopter demonstrate this best- it's incredibly easy to take a lot of damage due to the laser accuracy and absurd firing rate and it flies around at a speed that clearly doesn't jive with the RPG laser tracking at all. The helicopter fights were fun in the original. Here it's just a frustrating quicksave fest. The combat is a total shit show in general. They made some truly awful changes. The worst is the SMG. They decreased the clip size from 50 to 30, ammo storage from 250 to 150 and unless I was imagining things it shares it's ammo pool with the pistol. If their logic was that an MP5 and the pistol in the game both fire 9mm rounds.... well it's fucking stupid because Gordon isn't moving that ammo between two different clips depending on the gun that ammo pool is being decreased by and it's a fucking videogame. I think the only weapon that got buffed instead of nerfed was the hivehand. The enemies still take comparable damage (or in some cases higher?) to the original and the weapons changes mess with the gameplay loop in truly awful ways.

I can't wait to see how they think they are going to improve Xen.

Boy that makes me glad that I skipped BM and opted for the original Half Life instead in the Summer Sale.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
DO not click the link in the email if it exists.

For double measure go to the website itself and change it.

I didn't BTW.

I didnt click any link I went to the site and changed it

Alright I'm getting more into Risen 3. Antigua is a better starting spot than Kila; there's many more opportunities to build up your protag and it gives a rough outline for where to go from there. Really should have just railroaded players into it, because the extra freedom doesn't really help at all.

Now I just need to gold to start loading up on skills.
5zzb9Dx.gif

thewalkingdeadmichonno8sva.jpg

Ridiculously short episodes and still not any more polished than usual. I did enjoy some of the awful decisions I was able to make and I am curious if my choosing the worst thing I could do at all times led to all of the deaths or if some of them are built in. The last death in particular was hilarious because I didn't even make the choice that led to it intentionally. I don't watch the show so Michonne wasn't anything special for me and her backstory was pretty generic. The side characters were bland and underdeveloped.
Bummer about this. I really don't know what they were thinking, both in terms of the short season and television/comic tie-in. It just seems like a missed opportunity all around.

Like, at least TWD: 400 Days teased something interesting, even if it had zero payoff.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Interesting. That is not what I would have expected from them. I wonder if they would ever speak publicly about this. The topic seems to be hot with G2A and their shadyness atm, but I imagine the fraud rate tracks quite closely to the rate that credit cards/etc are being stolen. I doubt Steam sees more than its fair share of fraudulent transactions at least in a world where fraud is caught and the theives don't get to keep any of the ilicit goods. Clearly, illegal activity would thrive anywhere potential thieves can get away with it. Hard to know if Steam is in that situation or not, and there is 0 chance they would ever admit it if they were.

Re: the API idea. I don't disagree that it would would be a nice feature. Hard to make specific comments about the proposed one that Stump listed since I don't know enough about what Valve is doing and how they store keys. I do work in software for a living so I can at least say that Stump's requirments specifications are pretty decent =)

The best chance we have of hearing anything like this, honestly, is from the Dev Days talks that are taking place later this year.

I wouldn't even bring it up or mention myself except that I know for a fact that everyone involved in that conversation has since left Valve for various reasons and there is no chance that anyone there could face repercussions for something that may not be an official stance. That being said, with those people gone it might not be the unofficial stance anymore either, so who knows!

Kagemusha

It's weird because I remember really enjoying the mod before it went to sale. Did something happen?
I only played Half-Life on PS2. 15 years ago. Can't compare it to BM, but yes, the combat is bad, especially having to fight snipers when going up ladders. Constant loading is ridiculous, it kills the pacing. Performance of final boss fight on free version went to single frames. I could see someone rating game a C- or even lower compared to original. I still enjoyed it. Im not sure how the paid version plays, I just played a few minutes.

MUnited83

For you.
The best handheld just got even better

This is a really good news.

As the Intel was canceled Atom series chip,The next generation is Apollo lake,
Performance will be optimized, but the power consumption should be more heavy.We think this series chip will no longer suitable for portable devices.
So we may probably stop the GPD WIN 2.....

And we really hope can make the first generation products to be the best one. Also after multiple performance contrast,We found the performance of Z8700 is much improved compared to the Z8500.

So as many backers expect,we final decided to update the Z8550 into Z8700-Z8750. When mass production,If we can find a suitable supply for Z8750, we will use Z8750.If not,we will use Z8700.

It must be a really good news for your guys.right?

Really thanks for your support again!!
WXvJ6kq.jpg

I'm ready to put my Vita to rest.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I think they were collaborating on some sort of puppet or mannequin game that never really went anywhere. If memory serves, they organised or otherwise attended some sort of function for local indie devs and screened a pre-rendered teaser. I'm sure someone here knows what I'm woefully describing.

I thought that was just one of the two? Holowka and some other people worked on that iirc. To my knowledge, they haven't done anything together since Aquaria. Know exactly what you're talking about though.

I just realized there must be a Steam Controller configuration for Deadly Premonition that standardizes the wonky controls. That could be nice.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm against supporting Rockin' Android.

https://www.steamgifts.com/discussi...ers-steam-keys-bans-people-and-delete-threads

Scummy publishers.

Edit: Now that I think about it, they are the reason I pushed my self to join gaf.

The stupidest thing about their obstinacy about giving previous Steam keys is like, do they really think they're going to get a ton of repurchases? So far their three games have sold 30k copies a piece, 50-60% of buyers have even booted up the games so it's not like they were enthusiastic purchases. Average playtimes under 3:00.

I don't think the games would have been more successful by giving out keys, but I don't think they'd be any less successful, and they certainly wouldn't have the reputation as scam-artists.

jediyoshi

Feels like Trion is skirting some kind of rule with Atlas Reactor. What you download from Steam is basically a launcher, whereas the actual 2gb~ client is downloaded through that.

Feels like Trion is skirting some kind of rule with Atlas Reactor. What you download from Steam is basically a launcher, whereas the actual 2gb~ client is downloaded through that.

A lot of MMOs download an old version from the storefront that their launcher then updates. Warframe does that a lot, for instance.

It's a real buzzkill when you're all excited to play.

Lomax

A lot of MMOs download an old version from the storefront that their launcher then updates. Warframe does that a lot, for instance.

It's a real buzzkill when you're all excited to play.

Makes it really obnoxious when you go to uninstall as well, because a lot of the time a steam uninstall leaves the vast majority of the game content on your hard drive without a mention. But it seems to be pretty typical of MMOs that don't have separate servers for Steam accounts.

Makes it really obnoxious when you go to uninstall as well, because a lot of the time a steam uninstall leaves the vast majority of the game content on your hard drive without a mention. But it seems to be pretty typical of MMOs that don't have separate servers for Steam accounts.

Oh yeah. That's also true.

IIRC my War Thunder install wasn't touched when I uninstalled it via Steam a while back. Whole game worth of data left behind.

Wooooooo, weeeeeekend~
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Initia: Elemental Arena -- MB-28AB0D958CAB2B92 - Taken by Speevy

Rado's Annex what a paaaain! I must be missing something. Furthest I came was till one-third of its HP but at that point attack speed gets so fast I can't even stop for a second from all the running away.

me0wish

The stupidest thing about their obstinacy about giving previous Steam keys is like, do they really think they're going to get a ton of repurchases? So far their three games have sold 30k copies a piece, 50-60% of buyers have even booted up the games so it's not like they were enthusiastic purchases. Average playtimes under 3:00.

I don't think the games would have been more successful by giving out keys, but I don't think they'd be any less successful, and they certainly wouldn't have the reputation as scam-artists.

I bought Gundemonium day 1, thought Suguri was solid and was looking forward for it to hit steam, if they weren't scummy, I would of probably gifted the game to my friends and bought a separate copy to support them. But here I am, bitching about how shitty they are and they deserve to be treated like crap.

To this day I find my self tempted to buy their games, but I promised my self that I never will.

didamangi

yuraya

GAF has been slow for me ever since the summer sale ended.

Coincidence? I think so.

I blame Gaben
and CSGO gambling
and anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom