• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

So should I wait on Doom for an even lower price? Seems like it's shooting way down really quickly.

If you want it within the next year, 50% is probably about as cheap as it will get.

http://blog.bundlestars.com/post/147142414304/something-legendary-is-coming

Will it be something

tumblr_o9z6au4Yql1vq86y9o1_400.gif

or nothing

tumblr_n6g7bwlLQj1t3ml1po1_250.gif

Isn't that last frame from one of the Arkham games? It will penalty be a WB bundle full of games we mostly already have for something really expensive for a bundle like $20.

A bundle featuring nothing but several keys for Legendary.

That and downloadable episodes of How I Met Your Mother.

Wok

Looking at the fact that you're getting a errors in dxgi.dll, to me it suggests that the game is running under dx11 which gedosato does not support.

looking at this indicates dxgi is used by dx10 and up only.

e: you could try forcing it to run under dx9 using "-force-d3d9" command line argument.
e2: alternatively you could just use VSR or DSR to downsample. (note that you will have to change the desktop resolution to make it work with unity).

Thanks. I don't have VSR with my Radeon 7770, so I will try DirectX9.

I don't know if I'm late, but I was able to buy Dracula's Origin Pack from Nuuvem without VPN and using my own paypal. (USA here)

Maybe they're allowing some titles to be bought by everyone now?

http://www.nuuvem.com/bundle/draculas-origin-pack

Edit: Make sure to use VEMPRANUUVEM10

Yeah I heard that some stuff is not region locked from them now.

Cool! Anything good?

Try Armello.

I'm not expecting much from Bundlestars, but they are certainly the number two bundle site in my eyes now. Number one if you like that jank.

I liked that discussion of Eurojank last night. Someone said it perfectly, along the lines of the game is designed in a scope slightly beyond what the team or budget can handle, leading to bugginess, unintentionally funny animations, and awkward translations.

Has anyone made a game that embraces the jank intending to make it more charming? There could be an interesting game resulting from that.

This is the description I liked.
It's a term used for European developed RPGs that lack a certain level of polish which you see in other, higher budget titles. It's usually small stuff like weird animations or camera glitches, localization mistakes, quest glitches and things like that. It's because these games are developed with (presumably) smaller budgets than some of the top tier AAA releases that we see. This 'Eurojank' is usually not a deal breaker but it does require a certain level of tolerance from the player to look past small problems and still be able to enjoy the game. Sometimes the trade off for Eurojank is that the games have more ambition. For example, you might get quests that have more depth, more ways to solve them or more outcomes that affect the game at large. The higher the complexity of a game, the more difficult it is to polish it all to a perfect shine. Some 'Western' RPGs (like Bioware's recent output in my opinion) trade off all ambition to get perfectly polished games. It's up to you to decide which approach you find better.

Regginator

I've bought a few keys from them without issue. They have a great deal on ESO right now. Not a steam key but super cheap.

I'm eyeing this as well, been meaning to get into TESO. Apparently it's much better than it was at launch.

I kinda just want to explore and walk around Tamriel, it's what I've loved about previous TES games, which I didn't really play for story or whatever, but for their atmosphere and worldbuilding.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Riders of Pegasus seems completely competent even if its a completely average and vanilla mmo. I mean its f2p so if you need your mmo fix for a bit it beats spending 20€ on ESO or something like I almost did last sale when I know ill just get bored with any mmo a few hours later

I havent been able to explore the taming mounts gimick but I see people riding pretty much every monsters Ive been fighting so I guess it works. Not a bad gimmick as far as mmo gimmicks go to be fair

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Given Bundlestars' close working relationship with Warner Bros and Bethesda, I'd guess the bundle features something from one of them. If you take Legendary to be a clue about the bundle, I'd guess Skyrim Legendary Edition (which Bundlestars does sell).

Volimar

Why are you guys teasing me with something that's almost four days away...

BAD STEAMGAF!

I'm used to a few hours of pre humble hype...

Has anyone made a game that embraces the jank intending to make it more charming? There could be an interesting game resulting from that.

Well since you bring it up, there were a couple of games that released something like 8-10 years ago that would fit the bill. Both were open world FPS-RPG hybrids made in Ukraine I believe.

The first one, which I actually played, was called Precursors. This was a science fiction game where you could travel to different planets (as in, actually fly a spacecraft from one planet to the other) and land on them. Each one had a different and unique setting. There was a large scale war going on and you were a soldier basically doing quests for different people in different places.

It looked kind of cool as well (forgive the screenshot quality from 2011)

The Rock, Paper Shotgun review said

This is the trailer to show you what the game looked like - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPUSVg2wYXM

The game was broken as fuck. As in, game breaking bugs that stopped me from finishing it, but I have to say that it was overflowing with ambition at the expense of everything else.

The other game was called Xenus 2 - White Gold. I never played this but my understanding is that it was a game similar to the first Far Cry. You're on an island causing havoc for the local ruler or militia over there.

Here's a small preview article from RPS and another trailer that shows the game in action - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLFTrR0YEko

Both games never reviewed well and in fact didn't get much coverage at all. They're not available on Steam but they are on Gamersgate. It's one of those things where the idea of playing them is far more interesting than actually playing them, but they were fairly unique games nonetheless.

Soulflarz

Banned
Given Bundlestars' close working relationship with Warner Bros and Bethesda, I'd guess the bundle features something from one of them. If you take Legendary to be a clue about the bundle, I'd guess Skyrim Legendary Edition (which Bundlestars does sell).

Which bundle is this?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hmmm ok this taming mechanic in Riders of Pegasus is pretty fucking dope. And considering one of the big draws with the mmo crowd is usually the plethera of mounts you can get, the ability to actually tame any (well most) monster as mounts at will, AND also be able to turn them into combat pets is kind of awesome

This game might be alright

Nah, just the wide one from steam. But harrybana on deviantart has loads of awesome metro icons for the square one.

Nightmare is the hardest difficulty you can play from the start. Ultra nightmare is nightmare but with just one life.
Thanks for the clue. Pin More has the advantage of pinning Uplay and Origin games too. I'll stick with Pin Steam for now.

Daniel Mullins, developer of Pony Island, announcing The Hex (trailer), releasing on PC in early 2017. It looks like a murder mystery game and the "suspects" happen to be characters based on different genres of video games. It looks like it'll be another mind fuck.

Knurek

Daniel Mullins, developer of Pony Island, announcing The Hex (trailer), releasing on PC in early 2017. It looks like a murder mystery game and the "suspects" happen to be characters based on different genres of video games. It looks like it'll be another mind fuck.

After Pony Island?
Day fucking one!

Rhaknar

Spellforce Complete Bundle 6€

Spellforce Complete includes:
SpellForce - Platinum Edition
SpellForce 2: Gold Edition
SpellForce 2: Faith in Destiny
SpellForce 2 - Faith in Destiny - Digital Extras
SpellForce 2 - Faith in Destiny Scenario 1: Flink's Secret Diary
SpellForce 2 - Faith in Destiny Scenario 2: The Golden Fool
SpellForce 2 - Faith in Destiny Scenario 3: The Last Stand
SpellForce 2 - Demons of the Past
SpellForce 2 - Demons of the Past - Soundtrack

Grief.exe

Well since you bring it up, there were a couple of games that released something like 8-10 years ago that would fit the bill. Both were open world FPS-RPG hybrids made in Ukraine I believe.

The first one, which I actually played, was called Precursors. This was a science fiction game where you could travel to different planets (as in, actually fly a spacecraft from one planet to the other) and land on them. Each one had a different and unique setting. There was a large scale war going on and you were a soldier basically doing quests for different people in different places.

It looked kind of cool as well (forgive the screenshot quality from 2011)

The Rock, Paper Shotgun review said https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/04/wot-i-think-precursors/
This is the trailer to show you what the game looked like - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPUSVg2wYXM

The game was broken as fuck. As in, game breaking bugs that stopped me from finishing it, but I have to say that it was overflowing with ambition at the expense of everything else.

The other game was called Xenus 2 - White Gold. I never played this but my understanding is that it was a game similar to the first Far Cry. You're on an island causing havoc for the local ruler or militia over there.

Here's a small preview article from RPS and another trailer that shows the game in action - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLFTrR0YEko

Both games never reviewed well and in fact didn't get much coverage at all. They're not available on Steam but they are on Gamersgate. It's one of those things where the idea of playing them is far more interesting than actually playing them, but they were fairly unique games nonetheless.

I can see what you're saying where the game tried to be a bit more ambitious than what was feasible.

I found the trailer interesting, flying between planets with your own spaceship, shooting robots with futuristic alien bio-mechanical weaponry, then he pulls out a pump action, 12 gauge, shotgun with buckshot circa 1990.

gabbo

I can see what you're saying where the game tried to be a bit more ambitious than what was feasible.

I found the trailer interesting, flying between planets with your own spaceship, shooting robots with futuristic alien bio-mechanical weaponry, then he pulls out a pump action, 12 gauge, shotgun with buckshot circa 1990.

Xenus 2 is buggy, but certainly enjoyable - and laughably so. It's ridiculous, knows it, but doesn't care. I can see a lot of its ideas in Just Cause 2, but implemented so much better. The idea of traveling freely (or mostly freely) around a chain of islands by whatever means (including swimming) is there, and playing off the different island factions as you see fit, all to restore order, yep. But sometimes that small gate on an Ancient temple's path just won't open or an NPC never appears in their apartment over a fish market to finish a mission, halting gameplay. Those sorts of bug are what plagued Xenus. So sit back, eat an egg or throw rocks to make your merc feel better. It also has downright dumpster fire English voice over.

Precursors on the other hand; while certainly all the things mentioned, is a lot more serious in tone, and runs like absolute ass. My machine, while by no means cutting edge, can hold its own against anything from this gen, let alone this year. But Precursors is like trudging through a molasses slideshow of colour alien worlds.
I'd say go Xenus2 if only because it performs better than Precursors, but they're both a lot of fun to go around in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom