• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

dyackmadredmnjqy.gif
]

i admit that was a great time on gaf :p

The good old times of the Star Trek gifs (ST > SW).

Let's take a trip down memory lane with Faeverse Alchemy

1. Developer releases popular game Faerie Solitaire. It's a solid Solitaire game with RPG elements. It's cheap.
2. Developer gives away 100,000+ copies of Faerie Solitaire to promote future games and encourage fans.
3. Everyone likes developer
4. Developer announces followup, Faeverse Alchemy, a match-3 game with RPG elements
5. Developer releases Faeverse Alchemy for $30
6. Reaction is immediately negative because the price is outrageous
7. Dev goes into meltdown mode on forums, how dare you criticize me, I worked hard, if you don't want to buy it, I don't want your business. To the dev's credit of course no one is entitled to anything and if a price is too high, you can simply not buy it, but dev wasn't doing any favours going ballistic about how any criticism is unacceptable and you're disrespecting my hard work.
8. Game tanks because no one buys it and the people that do feel ripped off because it's Early Access and there's no content.
9. Dev gives away 50,000 keys to promote game
10. Dev announces game is going 100% free because they're depressed about the reception
11. Spam-bots write fake reviews and up-vote, presumably to build credibility for future paid review-rigging campaigns
What point did he sell a subscription to all future games he makes? I remember that being a thing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm having a "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" party tonight. We don't have a VR headset, so we're doing the defuser using a Macbook air and everyone else sitting on the couch so they can't see the screen. Might allow an external mouse as well.

I'm having a "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" party tonight. We don't have a VR headset, so we're doing the defuser using a Macbook air and everyone else sitting on the couch so they can't see the screen. Might allow an external mouse as well.

You actually might want to print out the manual (or make a couple copies). It should be better if multiple people can flip through an actual manual.

EDIT: That's assuming that you're not already planning on doing that. I've seen plenty of people just use a tablet (that's how I did it) but next time I'm printing the manual out. Tablets kind of ruin the experience a little, I think.

Try to reduce charades if you want to, it can be quite an advantage to describing the modules.

Adnor

Banned

That's one of the games that I'd love to try to play with a few friends and a few drinks, but we will never play.

Heads up, that ESEA matchmaking program that just released on Steam for 'free' (it is not free) has boatloads of negative reviews because the devs were caught bitcoin mining through it years ago. (They blame a rogue employee for it, but c'mon.) Avoid at all costs.

Also, why is it on Steam.

1. Developer releases popular game Faerie Solitaire. It's a solid Solitaire game with RPG elements. It's cheap.
2. Developer gives away 100,000+ copies of Faerie Solitaire to promote future games and encourage fans.
4. Developer announces followup, Faeverse Alchemy, a match-3 game with RPG elements
7. Dev goes into meltdown mode on forums, how dare you criticize me, I worked hard, if you don't want to buy it, I don't want your business. To the dev's credit of course no one is entitled to anything and if a price is too high, you can simply not buy it, but dev wasn't doing any favours going ballistic about how any criticism is unacceptable and you're disrespecting my hard work.
8. Game tanks because no one buys it and the people that do feel ripped off because it's Early Access and there's no content.
10. Dev announces game is going 100% free because they're depressed about the reception
11. Spam-bots write fake reviews and up-vote, presumably to build credibility for future paid review-rigging campaigns
That's... quite something. Although, on the bright side the spambots aren't pirating other people's reviews.

Y'know, I enjoyed Faerie Solitaire more than I ever would've guessed. Those weird solitaire gaimes are oddly compelling, in spite of everything.

That's sad how it seemed to go downhill. I remember when Faeverse Academy appeared on the store, gir slightly interested on the game but the initial price was pretty high, might try it now with the game becoming free.

such a good looking game

12140_20160710084248_1kjxm.jpg

everyone looks so happy in the cutscenes

12140_20160710084558_sljqx.jpg

I played Max Payne 1 and 2 so many times when I was younger, loved the atmosphery and how the story was told.

e90Mark

Heads up, that ESEA matchmaking program that just released on Steam for 'free' (it is not free) has boatloads of negative reviews because the devs were caught bitcoin mining through it years ago. (They blame a rogue employee for it, but c'mon.) Avoid at all costs.

Also, why is it on Steam.

Interesting that it's on Steam. Probably to outreach to more CS players. Everyone who should be playing on ESEA knows about it, but anyone who shouldn't will have a bad time.

Bitcoin thing did happen years ago, I wouldn't worry about it today. #LPKANE

In short, SUBSOAP sucks. Glad I didn't pay for none of their games.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Does Valve have a policy on accounts passing from one person to another? Like say you die and you want to give your account to someone first, is that even possible? I assume not.

Which means you cant inherit digital goods, or put them in a will right?

Soulflarz

Banned
Does Valve have a policy on accounts passing from one person to another? Like say you die and you want to give your account to someone first, is that even possible? I assume not.

Which means you cant inherit digital goods, or put them in a will right?

the idea is you just wouldnt tell valve
its good to be secretive but don't hide accounts from others 100%

or
family share

Grief.exe

Next time you add a Steam Wallet Card to your account, keep the card. Valve uses the code for account recovery if you ever have a problem.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes party was awesome. Here's how the game works; it's a multiplayer game. One person uses a computer or VR headset. You need either a laptop (played fine on my 2012 Macbook Air and didn't spin up the fans, no graphics settings, so there's clearly no system requirements) or a desktop that is in a different room but still within earshot of your couch. It only needs Y and N on your keyboard and a two button mouse, super easy.

The player on the computer is a bomb defuser. You are in a room with a bomb. The bomb is briefcase shaped. Each side of the briefcase has 6 slots, which can be empty or have a bomb defusing module. You start with 2-3 modules, it scales up to 12. The modules are arcane: wires, buttons, knobs, text, etc. You have no idea what to do. Also in the room with you, a flickering light and an alarm clock.

The other players CANNOT SEE THE SCREEN. They have a 23 page bomb defusing manual in front of them that explains "exactly" how to defuse the bomb. You play by having the defuser explain what he or she says and the experts, with the manual, explain how to deal with it.

Except it's not easy.

LFmuedAl.jpg

Let's look at the top-right module--looks simple, right, a white button that says hold. Let's check the manual for what that says:
MVjPJA6l.png

Okay, uh, 1. if the button is blue... no, skip 2. if there is more than one battery *flips bomb around looking for batteries* no there isn't 3. button is white... lit indicator CAR... *flips bomb around looking for indicators* no. 4. more than two batt no... 5. button isn't yellow... 6. button isn't red... 7... okay, refer to the appendix, push down the button. what colour is the strip that appears? It's white. Okay hold the button until there's a 1 on the timer *phew*

That's one module defused. It gets very frantic. Some of the modules are very hard. It's super fun and it gets very challenging and chaotic. One module in particular, memory, is insane.

You actually might want to print out the manual (or make a couple copies). It should be better if multiple people can flip through an actual manual.

EDIT: That's assuming that you're not already planning on doing that. I've seen plenty of people just use a tablet (that's how I did it) but next time I'm printing the manual out. Tablets kind of ruin the experience a little, I think.

We had 4 players (1 defuser, 3 experts). We rotated musical chairs style. We printed the manual to divide tasks. It proved highly effective.

The only tasks we did collectively was Memory (defuser announces "Start #", host expert reads instructions and answers "location 1", "number 1", "read back numbers", "read back locations", defuser reads back location or number, whatever host did not say; spare expert 1 memorizes the sequence of numbers and nothing else, spare expert 2 memorizes the locations of numbers and nothing else).

We used coins to help track the complex wires and the keypad progress. Keypad was fairly easy as three of the four players were scientists with good knowledge of Greek letters (although the fourth player, who did not know, had much harder). Who's On First wasn't so bad once we agreed to enunciate very clearly and spell where necessary.

Wok

I love how the spambots are named with numbers in French (starting with Une instead of Un, so presumably not a French speaker), with the corresponding profile picture.

Tizoc

On the one hand usd 30 for an ea game is silly
On the other thanks for letting me know about this game for the first time ever

ExoSoul

Banned
Except it's not easy.

LFmuedAl.jpg

Let's look at the top-right module--looks simple, right, a white button that says hold. Let's check the manual for what that says:
MVjPJA6l.png

Okay, uh, 1. if the button is blue... no, skip 2. if there is more than one battery *flips bomb around looking for batteries* no there isn't 3. button is white... lit indicator CAR... *flips bomb around looking for indicators* no. 4. more than two batt no... 5. button isn't yellow... 6. button isn't red... 7... okay, refer to the appendix, push down the button. what colour is the strip that appears? It's white. Okay hold the button until there's a 1 on the timer *phew*

That's one module defused. It gets very frantic. Some of the modules are very hard. It's super fun and it gets very challenging and chaotic. One module in particular, memory, is insane.

I feel like the game delivers strongly in this point and it's what makes it a great party game.
It gives you a first impressions of being easy to grasp but as you scroll through the actions and/or rules you realise it's more intricate than it first seemed to be. That and the fact that the timer is still going can easily throw you off and ends up stressing you making you prone to mistakes.

I think it's not a "ahah so much fun" party game
although it still is
but more of a "Alright, we got it, let's do better this time!"

Wok

The only tasks we did collectively was Memory (defuser announces "Start #", host expert reads instructions and answers "location 1", "number 1", "read back numbers", "read back locations", defuser reads back location or number, whatever host did not say; spare expert 1 memorizes the sequence of numbers and nothing else, spare expert 2 memorizes the locations of numbers and nothing else).

That is clever. We used to just write the sequence using pen and paper, and underline the right position in the sequence. Are we not allowed to have pen and paper? Are we not experts?

zkylon

zkylewd
finished max payne 1, surprised there wasn't a shitty boss at the end, i sorta like it

the theme is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv0y0On8ZGQ
max payne 1 is one of my favorite games ever

i just love the really goofy overdramatic writing and that amazing atmosphere, and it holds up so well, even if the levels feel really game-like it's still really fun to go through them

max payne 2 i like less but it's still pretty alright. it just has some frustrating bits and the story is just not as good

but it has the poets of the fall bit that's really cool

Anteater

i just love the really goofy overdramatic writing and that amazing atmosphere, and it holds up so well, even if the levels feel really game-like it's still really fun to go through them

max payne 2 i like less but it's still pretty alright. it just has some frustrating bits and the story is just not as good

the combat mechanics were hilariously weird with MP 1 though, but I eventually got used to it and it got so much easier after I learned to use the roll instead of the bullet time

but yeah the atmosphere was pretty awesome and I think I'm going to miss Sam Lake in the sequel :(

dex3108

Max Payne 3 has best gunplay, but MP1 and MP2 have better story. It would be nice to see Max Payne 4 where Remedy would do story but R* would be in charge of gameplay.

Anteater

i really didn't like max payne 3, it's so slow and clunky, i guess level design-wise it's actually better than max payne 1 in some places, but holy poop it's just so slow and even slower with the bullet time that I couldn't enjoy it, it does look cool graphically with the awesome physics and stuff

only level I liked was the air port

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That is clever. We used to just write the sequence using pen and paper, and underline the right position in the sequence. Are we not allowed to have pen and paper? Are we not experts?

We debated about whether or not the using penny tokens for the keypad / complex wires was cheating. I don't think we'd be willing to use a pen and paper. But mostly since it's not competitive and there aren't leaderboards, it's all about what gives you tension and satisfaction.

dex3108

i really didn't like max payne 3, it's so slow and clunky, i guess level design-wise it's actually better than max payne 1 in some places, but holy poop it's just so slow and even slower with the bullet time that I couldn't enjoy it, it does look cool graphically with the awesome physics and stuff

They went with more grounded approach for MP3. But that didn't work that well with Max Payne gameplay. But I think that MP3 is still only game where you have full 360 control during gunplay. Their animation system is fantastic. If they can do a bit more open levels in MP4 I think that everything would work great.

zkylon

zkylewd
the combat mechanics were hilariously weird with MP 1 though, but I eventually got used to it and it got so much easier after I learned to use the roll instead of the bullet time

but yeah the atmosphere was pretty awesome and I think I'm going to miss Sam Lake in the sequel :(
wait, i'm pretty sure max payne 2 was written by sam lake also

if it didn't it's a pretty good imitation

and idk about the mechanics being weird, they always felt ok to me and i've beaten that game like a billion times. tho maybe that's why..

Max Payne 3 has best gunplay, but MP1 and MP2 have better story. It would be nice to see Max Payne 4 where Remedy would do story but R* would be in charge of gameplay.
eh, i think even the gunplay part is kind of subjective since the level design is usually shit in mp3 and between the half baked mechanics (like the revive thign), the turret sequences and the unskippable cutscenes that change ur gun, i just found it kind of bad

at times it's really nice because the physics and shit are really well made but it didn't blow me away and i still find the looser gameplay of mp1 and 2 much more fun

it helps a lot that i don't have to be forced to go through the cringe of mp3's script and instead can enjoy awesome self-aware writing (that i can just skip if i don't wanna watch! like in a real game!)

seriously fuck max payne 3

i would rather remedy developed the whole thing, i don't really give a shit about fancy physics and animation systems when the game is going to be garbage

yeah, the air port is the one level i also like because you get a lot of space and options to move around and has that awesome music-kicking-in moment

Anteater

wait, i'm pretty sure max payne 2 was written by sam lake

I just meant his constipated face lol

They went with more grounded approach for MP3. But that didn't work that well with Max Payne gameplay. But I think that MP3 is still only game where you have full 360 control during gunplay. Their animation system is fantastic. If they can do a bit more open levels in MP4 I think that everything would work great.

yeah I definitely think they could build something good with the MP3's gameplay

gelf

I've been really enjoying Broken Age, but seeing some of the achievements...they work at cross purposes. Some require you to solve a puzzle as quickly as possible (get it right on the first try) and some require you to get things as wrong as possible (delay the game, exhaust every dialogue choice before you choose the right one, etc.) That's some false replayability shit right there.

I'll post full impressions some other time when I'm done with it. Not sure when that will be.
I would argue achievements in general are false replayability shit.

I'm playing Broken Age as well and while it's hooked me in to most likely keep playing to the end I'm not going to end up classing it amongst the best of the genre. The plot was intriguing at first but now I'm in act 2 I'm losing interest. Also some of the puzzles solutions are weird, but given who made it that's not a surprise. Horrible puzzles didn't stop me loving Grim Fandango.

derExperte

There was also a flood of 90% vouchers shortly after release in 2014 which was when I got in and which of course pissed off everyone who paid full price. Then I waited over a year for any meaningful updates before hitting uninstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom