• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well since you bring it up, there were a couple of games that released something like 8-10 years ago that would fit the bill. Both were open world FPS-RPG hybrids made in Ukraine I believe.

The first one, which I actually played, was called Precursors. This was a science fiction game where you could travel to different planets (as in, actually fly a spacecraft from one planet to the other) and land on them. Each one had a different and unique setting. There was a large scale war going on and you were a soldier basically doing quests for different people in different places.

It looked kind of cool as well (forgive the screenshot quality from 2011)

The Rock, Paper Shotgun review said https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/04/wot-i-think-precursors/
This is the trailer to show you what the game looked like - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPUSVg2wYXM

The game was broken as fuck. As in, game breaking bugs that stopped me from finishing it, but I have to say that it was overflowing with ambition at the expense of everything else.

The other game was called Xenus 2 - White Gold. I never played this but my understanding is that it was a game similar to the first Far Cry. You're on an island causing havoc for the local ruler or militia over there.

Here's a small preview article from RPS and another trailer that shows the game in action - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLFTrR0YEko

Both games never reviewed well and in fact didn't get much coverage at all. They're not available on Steam but they are on Gamersgate. It's one of those things where the idea of playing them is far more interesting than actually playing them, but they were fairly unique games nonetheless.

i actually had a lot of fun with precursors

really goofy intro that was recorded by the cd making company (also yea the framerate was AMAZING) aside, the game was pretty entertaining, like u say lots of ambition and wonky gameplay. like layers upon layersd of unpolished gameplay, it was crazy

xenus i never played cos it has a giant spider in it -__-

the two games were also released in the west on the same fucking day which is kind of hilarious

i also enjoyed a lot the prequel to xenus, boiling point, which is even older and kind of plays like a budget deus ex/nolf game mixed with some farcry? that game also had some hilarious voiceacting and the most ridiculous bugs ever like second floors on houses no having any collision and flying cougars and shit

Kifimbo

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

BANZAI PECAN: The Last Hope For the Young Century -- MB-95408C437C8CEAAC - Taken by Baron_Calamity
bit Dungeon II -- MB-1571EE94C6C720E3 - Taken by Costa1774
Post Mortem -- MB-93C145DF2B707501 - Taken by Hakkelus
Quest of Dungeons -- MB-6ED84F994C109F42 - Taken by voodooray

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Well since you bring it up, there were a couple of games that released something like 8-10 years ago that would fit the bill. Both were open world FPS-RPG hybrids made in Ukraine I believe.

The first one, which I actually played, was called Precursors. This was a science fiction game where you could travel to different planets (as in, actually fly a spacecraft from one planet to the other) and land on them. Each one had a different and unique setting. There was a large scale war going on and you were a soldier basically doing quests for different people in different places.

The Rock, Paper Shotgun review said https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/04/wot-i-think-precursors/
This is the trailer to show you what the game looked like - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPUSVg2wYXM

The game was broken as fuck. As in, game breaking bugs that stopped me from finishing it, but I have to say that it was overflowing with ambition at the expense of everything else.

The other game was called Xenus 2 - White Gold. I never played this but my understanding is that it was a game similar to the first Far Cry. You're on an island causing havoc for the local ruler or militia over there.

Here's a small preview article from RPS and another trailer that shows the game in action - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLFTrR0YEko

Both games never reviewed well and in fact didn't get much coverage at all. They're not available on Steam but they are on Gamersgate. It's one of those things where the idea of playing them is far more interesting than actually playing them, but they were fairly unique games nonetheless.

We actually have a NeoGAF OT for them. Both of the games at the same time.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416756&highlight=xenus

I own them on Gamesgate hahaha

http://blog.bundlestars.com/post/147142414304/something-legendary-is-coming

Will it be something

tumblr_o9z6au4Yql1vq86y9o1_400.gif

or nothing

tumblr_n6g7bwlLQj1t3ml1po1_250.gif

Hopefully nothing I've bought during the summer sale.

Amzin

Finished Axiom Verge just now, Talos Principle (all 3 endings) yesterday, so with that I'm at 16 games finished this year. Way behind the 52 thing some of ya'll are doing though :p that's on top of doing each Diablo 3 season, and periodic Overwatch/League action.

Got a bunch of good games this sale and another month until Season 7 of Diablo soooo just gonna keep on trucking!

Get these keys away from me.

ModBot said:
Instructions for ramoisdead:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ramoisdead, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Knights of Pen & Paper Plus1 Edition -- MB-6715C24922A9DF40 - Taken by someguyinahat
Stacking -- MB-E74093949E41FFC6 - Taken by PAUonePUNCH
Worms Pinball -- MB-081AAEE9229F5685 - Taken by neonglow
AdvertCity -- MB-882EF68A4B0F066B - Taken by Tellaerin
Loot Hero DX -- MB-2FD3FF14F8499032 - Taken by Shalashaska
Lilly Looking Through -- MB-893DB7831D0A0A11 - Taken by ExoSoul
Major Mayhem -- MB-528A108AC47311AF - Taken by bloke
Stardust Vanguards -- MB-B1C5503FEB9176DC - Taken by Kifimbo
Pinball FX2: Dr. Strange Table -- MB-397E374873DC599F - Taken by Henry Swanson
Really Big Sky -- MB-55876B437A2868C3
Worms Crazy Golf -- MB-C6DF952DCC02427B - Taken by gelf

Tellaerin

who do I contact about getting TOO HUMAN put on Steam?

Based on everything I've heard about the game, I'd suggest you address your requests to Mr. Recycle Bin. :p

Have to admit I'm enjoying Goddess Returns so far, even though I'm still not far into it yet (Day 2, woo!). Kudos for keeping the hype train rolling on that.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
and already bored with Riders of Icarus. At least it made me feel better about not wasting 20€ on ESO, I just cant do MMOs anymore

in other new, GMG is hyping up something for the 18th. Their own summer sale probably?

We actually have a NeoGAF OT for them. Both of the games at the same time.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416756&highlight=xenus

I own them on Gamesgate hahaha

These are very cool looking! The games seem to have fallen of the internet though. I can't find a copy anywhere.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It used an unlicensed version of Unreal 3. Epic took Silicon Knights to court and won.

Hilariously, it's actually the other way around.

Silicon Knights sued Epic over failure to provide adequate UE3 support.
Epic countersued Silicon Knights over them failing to pay royalties on the game
Epic won the countersuit, so Silicon Knights had to destroy the game--and it's other UE3 projects--pay Epic millions, ultimately filed for bankruptcy.

The entire thing was an unforced error. They literally killed their company by getting greedy and suing Epic because Too Human was no good.

Adnor

Banned
Hilariously, it's actually the other way around.

Silicon Knights sued Epic over failure to provide adequate UE3 support.
Epic countersued Silicon Knights over them failing to pay royalties on the game
Epic won the countersuit, so Silicon Knights had to destroy the game--and it's other UE3 projects--pay Epic millions, ultimately filed for bankruptcy.

The entire thing was an unforced error. They literally killed their company by getting greedy and suing Epic because Too Human was no good.

I hope SK's lawyer isn't working as a lawyer anymore because goddamn.

Echoplx

Hey you people that love The Long Dark is there anything I can do to make the game not so boring?

It was interesting starting out but after a while it's just repeating the same thing over and over, with a pretty shallow crafting system at this point so I don't really feel motivated to keep going after a while.

Anteater

i'm getting better at max payne

the trick is to not use the shitty ass jump dodge and roll instead

this game is too long, i know i'm close to the conclusion

i'm too tired to go on.

but i couldn't stop. i had to push on

Grief.exe

who do I contact about getting TOO HUMAN put on Steam?
Based on everything I've heard about the game, I'd suggest you address your requests to Mr. Recycle Bin. :p

Too Human is actually pretty dope, it was unfairly treated back in the day.

• The setup is similar to Demon Souls in that you access a linear area from a hub world.
  • The gameplay is like God of War on crack, with constant dodging and sliding around on the ground and the air.
  • Speed is important because the game is difficult. This is likely what caused the negative reviews as the difficulty can hit you like Odin's Hammer in the second level if you're not min/maxing with elemental protection runes and/or a terrible player.
  • Speaking of min/maxing, the RPG mechanics are actually quite deep with secret armor sets to find in the end game that can be outfitted with runes with various stat caps and break points to mange.
  • I can't cite specific examples as it has been so long, but I remember the story being interesting and unique. I rarely see norse mythology, but especially not adopted to a sci-fi setting.
  • If someone mentions the Valkyrie animation being too long as a negative, you can automatically throw their opinion in the trash as they are just a terrible player.

Dug up this image I took with this sweet windows phone I used to have back in the day.

KrkKSBN.jpg

There are some insane posts in the Steam openness thread, man.

That thread is still going on?

Anteater

too human got all the attention/shit cuz of Denis Dyack on gaf

games get uneeded attention or dismissed just because of some stupid shit

i mean we have like a million pages on just a few minutes of the order or whatever

rtcn63

I bought Reaper of Souls (you can get it for $11 from GS). It took me over an hour to get the Battle.net client working proper and the game downloading.

Steam really is among the best of the available evils.

Ozium

What's bad about it? The movement? The guns? The hit reactions? I want that game to be good.

the movement is fine, the guns seem OK? but there is no hit reactions when you shoot people so who knows if you are hitting them.. it's difficult to tell the other team from your team. the kill feed doesn't say what team the people are on

bad UI

I've been really enjoying Broken Age, but seeing some of the achievements...they work at cross purposes. Some require you to solve a puzzle as quickly as possible (get it right on the first try) and some require you to get things as wrong as possible (delay the game, exhaust every dialogue choice before you choose the right one, etc.) That's some false replayability shit right there.

I'll post full impressions some other time when I'm done with it. Not sure when that will be.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Let's take a trip down memory lane with Faeverse Alchemy

1. Developer releases popular game Faerie Solitaire. It's a solid Solitaire game with RPG elements. It's cheap.
2. Developer gives away 100,000+ copies of Faerie Solitaire to promote future games and encourage fans.
3. Everyone likes developer
4. Developer announces followup, Faeverse Alchemy, a match-3 game with RPG elements
5. Developer releases Faeverse Alchemy for $30
6. Reaction is immediately negative because the price is outrageous
7. Dev goes into meltdown mode on forums, how dare you criticize me, I worked hard, if you don't want to buy it, I don't want your business. To the dev's credit of course no one is entitled to anything and if a price is too high, you can simply not buy it, but dev wasn't doing any favours going ballistic about how any criticism is unacceptable and you're disrespecting my hard work.
8. Game tanks because no one buys it and the people that do feel ripped off because it's Early Access and there's no content.
9. Dev gives away 50,000 keys to promote game
10. Dev announces game is going 100% free because they're depressed about the reception
11. Spam-bots write fake reviews and up-vote, presumably to build credibility for future paid review-rigging campaigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom