• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
No?
Was DOTA owned by Blizzard or by the actual mod dev team?

Blizzard most certainly owned everything related to dota, it was a mod for their game using their assets. Are you actually claiming the modders owned dota, like really dude?

Parsnip

Unfortunately no it does not. In order to use that functionality like some extensions do, Enhanced Steam would have to have a "background page" running, which is something I've otherwise never needed.

I've thought about implementing one using other methods - like having the code retrieve/cache an API call that gives the current version, and then checks to see if the client has that version, then checking to see if they've dismissed the popup, but it's something I've not yet gotten around to doing. It would be nice though. I do post the changelogs in the official Steam group, and they're available in the "news" section of the options page - but I suspect a lot of the average users don't typically go looking there.
Yeah, I would like to think that if people knew about a feature like that they would want to opt-in, but getting the info out there would be another challenge if you ended up implementing it.

No?
Was DOTA owned by Blizzard or by the actual mod dev team?

There was a legal thing about that after Valve tried to trademark Dota, they ended up settling it.
Don't remember the exact details.

Blu(e)

Finished Tales of the Borderlands last night and man what a ride. Really likable cast all around which is kinda crazy when we're talking about the Borderlands universe. Kind of a in a mood for some more TellTale so I'm probably going to start on The Wolf Among us. Too bad that I hear the story isn't really strong as I really love the look of it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Finished Tales of the Borderlands last night and man what a ride. Really likable cast all around which is kinda crazy when we're talking about the Borderlands universe. Kind of a in a mood for some more TellTale so I'm probably going to start on The Wolf Among us. Too bad that I hear the story isn't really strong as I really love the look of it.

The Wolf Among Us is great, don't listen to the haters. Probably my second favorite TellTale game after Tales from the Borderlands.

Lomax

Blizzard most certainly owned everything related to dota, it was a mod for their game using their assets. Are you actually claiming the modders owned dota, like really dude?

You can't trademark a game structure. So the dota gameplay concept is owned by no one. The name was a more nebulous matter. But you can't trademark quests or the structure of a quest, or a derivative mod in that sense. But the ownership of the writing is more nebulous. Bethesda will argue the entire mod was created in their game, meaning they had the right to the content. But the creators could probably argue the writing was just delivered in the game, so they still own it, just like Amazon doesn't own the content of the books they sell. So if Bethesda wholesale lifted text from someone else, even if it was a mod, that could be a copyright violation. However, there's probably something in the EULA that says if you publicly distribute a mod based on their game they have the right to use any of that material.

Edit: looking at that page, Bethesda is fine. I could go make a game right now exactly the same as that and be fine. As long as they didn't copy the writing there's no violation, you can't steal an idea about quest structure in any legal sense. Plus, to be a violation you have to show actual damages, and the creators of the mod obviously would have none.

TWAU is great.

legally allowed to? isnt everything you make in their own game...theirs?

not that its not shady to use a mod questline, but im just talking about your use of the word legal

So if everything was the property of Bethesda why did they try that mod market by paying mod creators? To save on support for those mods? Also can we ask Bethesda for support on mods if they have all the rights on them?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

I started Wolf too because of TftB, and even though you can't compare the two because they're in different genres, Tales was a more memorable experience for me. Characters, the comedy, soundtrack... Tales was really special.

Lomax

TWAU is great because the decisions change your character instead of pretending to change the world. Which makes the way you play feel like it has more genuine impact than some of their other stuff.

Buraindo

The Wolf Among Us is a fantastic game. I can't say how it compares to Tales from the Borderlands as I have yet to finish that one but really you can't go wrong with TWAU.

Granjinha

I hope you were wearing a condom at least.

lol

Yeah I beat it around 4 hours ago and I'm still digesting that ending. There are so many layers in this games, so many possible interpretations, honestly I felt like replaying it as soon as I got done with it. And the technical aspects only help the narrative to shine, the use of colors and sound design in this game are some of the best I've seen. Definitely one of my GOTYs if not the best game I've played this year.

Yeah, it's incredible. The gameplay is spot on, too. One of the best games this year, easily.

Tizoc

The Wolf Among Us is great, don't listen to the haters. Probably my second favorite TellTale game after Tales from the Borderlands.

There are people who dislike Wolf Among us o_O?
I was under the assumption it was very positvely recieved and seen as TT's best work until Tales from BLands.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

What haters? Hell I can't stand TellTale games, or super narrative focused stuff in the same vein (Life is Strange, David Cage crap, etc...) and I still enjoyed the hell out of TWAU.

Blu(e)

TWAU is great.

The Wolf Among Us is a fantastic game. I can't say how it compares to Tales from the Borderlands as I have yet to finish that one but really you can't go wrong with TWAU.
Awesome. Really looking forward to it.

TWAU is great because the decisions change your character instead of pretending to change the world. Which makes the way you play feel like it has more genuine impact than some of their other stuff.
This sounds really cool. I always enjoy the choices but they usually amount to nothing. If the choices have some more impact in TWAU I'm sure I'll really enjoy it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
There are people who dislike Wolf Among us o_O?
I was under the assumption it was very positvely recieved and seen as TT's best work until Tales from BLands.

When it was released there were a lot of the usual "sucks. choices don't matter." people and "sucks. more of the same telltale garbage." people even here on SteamGAF. I assumed that's what Blu(e) meant by saying "Too bad that I hear the story isn't really strong".

Wok

INSIDE is way stronger than I expected. There are some
Amnesia-like scary
moments.

Remember these little guys when you were a kid? You will never see them in the same way after playing this freaking game.

1UKhjCS.jpg

Nzyme32

Shit, I need to play TftB. Good thing I caved to the peer pressure in here to get it in the sale.

When it was released there were a lot of the usual "sucks. choices don't matter." people and "sucks. more of the same telltale garbage." people even here on SteamGAF. I assumed that's what Blu(e) meant by saying "Too bad that I hear the story isn't really strong".

I feel like people using that argument miss the point. Much of these games is based entirely on the onus of choice and the lack of knowing whether they will or will not matter. When you are engrossed in the narrative and have that uncertainty, it tend to work extremely well for the most part.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
It is impossible for me to get into TWAU the same way I can't get into any of the Fables Universe stuff. After going to a panel with some of the creatives behind the Fables stuff at Comic Con one year, one of the people on stage ranted for about 5min at the other fans in the room for not liking his stuff. It was really horrible. Any time I see Fables-verse stuff I just remember that old guy yelling and instantly put it down.

That said, lots and lost of people love that universe and think the books and game are great. So if you are into it, it sounds like the game is good. And there is a metric ton of comics in that universe as well if you're interested in that.

woopWOOP

Bought bundles for those few games, dumping the remaining keys here
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Cally's Trials -- MB-C637A42563C95EC9 - Taken by dot
Party Hard -- MB-A826284AB032F702 - Taken by Rhaknar
Viscera Cleanup Detail -- MB-0AB5BD20D53332F1 - Taken by redlacs
Whoever takes this can PM me to get the 'House of Horror' DLC too.
Pumped BMX Plus -- MB-99E7DF40E26E28CD - Taken by chronomac
Door Kickers -- MB-1AEA6AD5905FC7CF - Taken by fifasnipe2224
Chariot -- MB-C172FBA9AE54D26D - Taken by Ludens
Another World 20th Anniversary Edition -- MB-554BFE50B67FF2B9 - Taken by Eila
Skullgirls -- MB-C0E011E04E5DA7E3 - Taken by Sendou
Solarix -- MB-969CAF204B00BDA8 - Taken by madjoki
Reus -- MB-2B38FD22FBD8F99D - Taken by Costa1774
Tiny Guardians -- MB-A3F228E274564B68 - Taken by Snakethesniper
Dub Dash -- MB-5EFA45DD255F36D7 - Taken by ThirtyFour
Zero Reflex: Black Eye Edition -- MB-186CA73D2048216D - Taken by voodooray

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Time to stress your GPU with this -- MB-0B08E8E094E94A75 - Taken by Dragon1893. 38 entrants total.

t1468539081z1.png

I think the story is pretty good.
Just don't expect your choices to matter a lot, not like you have any reason to anyway.
But yeah, great art style and characters, I loved it.

illusionary

So, I won Reus in a giveaway here a couple of days ago, but then went and purchased the full bundle myself - so it's only fair that I pass on my key to someone else to enjoy:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (illusionary, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Reus -- MB-FDA78A06D486CE7E - Taken by GaussTek. 5 entrants total.

t1468539885z1.png

jshackles

Why Cancel in the second picture?
Are you implying not donating will revert the update?

Haha good point - I was just using Valve's pre-existing popup dialog construct, guess I'll have to localize the word "Close" to replace "Cancel".

Lomax

Why Cancel in the second picture?
Are you implying not donating will revert the update?

Haha good point - I was just using Valve's pre-existing popup dialog construct, guess I'll have to localize the word "Close" to replace "Cancel".

Yeah that's what I was going to say, the cancel is odd. I'd just put in the change log automatically, no reason not to unless somehow that is resource intensive.

jshackles

Reposting for new page: How's this?

This gives users the option to "not show again" aka it won't pop up every time ES updates. Most of the text here would be localized, except for the actual list of changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom