• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp1990

Banned
Have you guys seen this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1246317

it's probably the greatest nintendo product in over a decade.
Nintendo is now pandering to a public who don't give a single fuck to them and won't bother supporting their products in the future instead of, y'know, actually bringing new stuff to the people who own their still active console. Kimishima is making hard to be a Nintendo fan these days.

And the NES sucks tbh.

why am I even talking about nintendo here though

Nabs

Lovely Planet Arcade is coming to Steam next week (July 22nd). Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_6EleWKUlg

You can pre-purchase it from Bundle Stars and start playing now. It's $5 (-15% off).

Here's the first game. If you grab this, give it a spin:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Lovely Planet -- MB-8C3DCD1E267C38EF - Taken by Mackenzie 92

derExperte

Always interesting to see people think Kepler is suddenly dead. My 770 still runs what I need it to at better than console settings so... lol? Still itching for that 1070 though.
doom_1920_v.jpg

Kepler might not be dead but it ain't healthy either.

How about OpenGL results, fam?

Better and you can of course turn down details but the cards just aren't looking good compared to AMD's comparably old models.

Parsnip

Mini builds go!

I will post my Ncase build when it's done. I'm going to order a few more fittings and redo the loop first. The fit is a little too tight right now.

I'm still on a Define R4, but it just takes so much space now. So next I will need a new itx mobo, after which I can move to a smaller case. I also don't need optical drive slots anymore, so that helps too. It seems like a lot of cases use that space for liquid cooling, but I don't really need that so I wonder what kind of options I even have with cases.

In any case it's all hypothetical right now since I just bought a gtx1070 and that will be it for me for the time being.

Nintendo is now pandering to a public who don't give a single fuck to them and won't bother supporting their products in the future instead of, y'know, actually bringing new stuff to the people who own their still active console. Kimishima is making hard to be a Nintendo fan these days.

They're in a holding pattern as they prepare for the NX launch. It's a great way to fill the gap until then because people want to buy this stuff anyway. They know the WiiU has been weak, especially after they've dropped their major IPs down. Kimishima probably has little to do with something like this coming out, this was likely in the works for a while.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I'm toying with a new idea for Enhanced Steam and I was hoping you guys could help give me a bit of feedback.

I've been thinking lately of a few ways that Enhanced Steam can overcome Steam's sometimes limited APIs - there is information that's presented to the user on a game's app page but isn't available in the API. For example, the API has this data:

CS:GO API data said:
"recommendations":{"total":1345489},

Obviously, this data isn't incomplete and is entirely too inaccurate for me to do anything meaningful with. Meanwhile, on the store page, users are given this level of detail about the reviews:

Things like number of positive / negative reviews is crucial to making any sense from the total number. Having info about the newly updated "recent" section would also be very nice. In this particular instance, this limitation prevents Enhanced Steam from being able to show a preview of the game's reviews on user's wishlists, ideally making it sort-able by these values.

My idea:
When a user visits an app page on Steam, they're sending a request to Enhanced Steam's API servers to get data such as SteamChart data, SteamSpy info, metacritic user-score, etc. This has been mostly optimized to happen in a single API request. My thought was I could add a URL parameter to that request that would attach the data I'm looking for (in this case, review information) which the server would then collect (totally anonymously) from users and cache that data locally on our API servers. The data could then be retrieved later by other users for other features, such as getting review information for wishlist pages, all without the need to pull/scrape the store page of every game themselves.

The downsides:
First of all, the requests for un-cached or stale data on our servers would be slightly slower to return the relevant information. And by slightly I mean a few milliseconds, but it's something that multiplied out over several (hundreds?) of page loads might start adding up into a noticeable difference. Secondly, some users might not appreciate Enhanced Steam sending this sort of "anonymous usage data" back to our servers, so I think this feature might have to be an "opt-in" functionality - and as such, the idea doesn't work at all unless a certain number of users agree to opt-in. I could make it opt-out, but that might also been seen as a bit of a "dick move" for people that care about that sort of thing.

What do you guys think, does something like that sound feasible?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Transistor / Bastion 80% off and Undertale 30% off are the midweeks

is there any word on Song of the Deep lenght, more or less?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Transistor grew on me. Wasn't a fan when I first played it and even dropped it. But I decided to give it another chance recently and fell in love with it. So much fun to try out different ability combos and seeing which ones are OP.

Parsnip

I still haven't finished Transistor.
Just didn't grab me.

New elusive target for Hitman sounds interesting with the twin twist.

What do you guys think, does something like that sound feasible?

Seems like a useful idea.
As long as it's opt-in of course like you said. Some people would certainly go nuts about it otherwise.
3DMark's DirectX 12 benchmark "Time Spy" is available now...like the rest of the stuff it's a DLC add-on you have to install (1.7 GB download)
Neat, I think I'm going to install the demo benchmark again.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
great the nvidia driver stalled / crashed

edit: actually says its installed tho >_> imalreadydead.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Seems like a useful idea.
As long as it's opt-in of course like you said. Some people would certainly go nuts about it otherwise.

My fear with making it opt-in is that not enough people would opt-in to help gather the relevant data. Hopefully enough power-users opt-in to make the data useful for everyone else.

Also, I hope some of those EA games eventually end up on GOG Connect (if that's even still a thing).

I'm pretty sure Bethesda owns all derivative work put into mods by moders. So I don't think it would stand in court. That said, that quest was the best part of the Far Harbor expansion and it would suck if they took it without giving the original modder credit. Thats a big reason why I don't like New Vegas is that Obsidian Entertainment lifted plots from so many sources.

I'm going to have to check out this mod myself.

Parsnip

My fear with making it opt-in is that not enough people would opt-in to help gather the relevant data. Hopefully enough power-users opt-in to make the data useful for everyone else.
Does ES have any kind of "new in this release" informational popup functionality when the extension is updated? I haven't used the Chrome version in yonks, and I can't remember if the old FF version had that.

If there is one, it might be a good way to let people know about the benefits of this type of feature and maybe even have the opt-in/out box right there in the info box if at all possible.
Or would that be intrusive to the user experience? I have no idea to be honest.

jshackles

Does ES have any kind of "new in this release" informational popup functionality when the extension is updated? I haven't used the Chrome version in yonks, and I can't remember if the old FF version had that.

If there is one, it might be a good way to let people know about the benefits of this type of feature and maybe even have the opt-in/out box right there in the info box if at all possible.
Or would that be intrusive to the user experience? I have no idea to be honest.

Unfortunately no it does not. In order to use that functionality like some extensions do, Enhanced Steam would have to have a "background page" running, which is something I've otherwise never needed.

I've thought about implementing one using other methods - like having the code retrieve/cache an API call that gives the current version, and then checks to see if the client has that version, then checking to see if they've dismissed the popup, but it's something I've not yet gotten around to doing. It would be nice though. I do post the changelogs in the official Steam group, and they're available in the "news" section of the options page - but I suspect a lot of the average users don't typically go looking there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom