• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

Remember Bob Poundmax from Gungrave

latest

Playing Divinity: Dragom Commander reminded me of the lost legend, Kirill Pokrovsky. He was the brilliant composer behind the Divinity series, always breathing life into Larian's games. He died far too young, a little over than a year ago. He was 53.

I really miss him.
I'm continuing to (try to) tell myself that no, I don't need XCOM 2 yet... but damn, I'm tempted. Ditto for Offworld Trading Company.

Has XCOM 2 now received all of the DLC that it's going to (i.e. the three parts of the Reinforcement Pack), or are we likely to get a 'proper' expansion at some point.

I'd like to think that XCOM 2 is getting a full-on expansion pack, but since the console announcement I feel like they're a year away from GotYing it and moving on. There's certainly room for an XPAC, so maybe we'll get lucky. I guess time will tell.

And the season pass still is done; all DLC is out. (I actually thought it had more stuff coming... Huh.)

Vibranium

Banned
CAUTION - Deus Ex Mankind Divided on PC might have some issues when it comes out if PC Gamer's brief go of it is anything to go by.

Basically, the PC version is with a different developer; typically you'd expect Nixes and for things to be good, but they didn't mention who it was. What they do mention is current framerate issues. Granted there is still a fair bit of time to go to work that all out, but at this point in time I'd expect it to be better. Furthermore, the game itself seems to go more on the console side in terms of controller focus. For example, moving between cover is done by a weird point target system that auto-runs you to the spot, which apparently doesn't feel so good on Mouse / Keyboard. There's also some concern over the takedowns, which have a jarring gap before commencing and force you out of first person for what appears to be longer than the previous game.

Honestly, I feel like they should do away with the takedowns for the next game and go back to melee weapons like in the first game. So you can actively use your blades or choke/punch people using fists.

Maybe the cover problems can be patched. The lipsyncing thing is also really weird, they had a smart-sounding audio guy based on the commentary in DEHRDC, what happened?

Nzyme32

Deus Ex: The Fall 2

Oh baby!

tumblr_n2oyj9deFQ1r94e9jo2_500.gif

Honestly, I feel like they should do away with the takedowns for the next game and go back to melee weapons like in the first game. So you can actively use your blades or choke/punch people using fists.

Maybe the cover problems can be patched.

I don't think that takedowns are necessarily a bad thing, but the transitions to and from them are terrible in HR and seem to be even more so with the added length and black screen pre-animation. If they want to do it, they have to make the transition something seamless that isn't jarring or pulling you out of the game - preferably leaving you with interactivity, maybe even sticking with first person. I don't know. But yeah, the takedowns as they are are not great and they haven't got better - and now this idea of cover movement being so.... shitty and controller centric is also really disappointing.

This all reminds me of the uproar with HR, where they intended to have every item and entrance / exit highlighted no matter what, and a bunch of other issue which they then changed. Maybe I'm better off waiting for the inevitable "directors cut"

Nzyme32

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Okay, I really love Alien Isolation, but it's waaay too long. I'm in mission 15 and there were already 2 climax-like moments
(shutting the Alien in, destroying the hive)
, and no end in sight. Another case for why there should be editors in gaming as well

Xater

Okay, I really love Alien Isolation, but it's waaay too long. I'm in mission 15 and there were already 2 climax-like moments
, and no end in sight. Another case for why there should be editors in gaming as well

That is the most common complaint I have heard about this game.

Grimalkin

What are some good horror games on steam? I have Amnesia and Outlast. I like most genres but definitely prefer games where you don't mow things down with a gun. Having a gun with a lot of ammo kills any scares for me.

I just played Until Dawn on PS4 and that game was not at all scary. It doesn't help that I figured out the twist in my first hour of playing. :(

Knurek

Is The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky any good?

It's a mediocre game.
Wrapped up in one of the most charming, well written stories in the history of gaming.

Think of it like a Japanese version of Planescape: Torment.

(Oh, and also, some semi-serious technical issues on Win10 - VSync doesn't work properly, resulting in either stutter or massive stutter depending on your luck)

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
(Oh, and also, some semi-serious technical issues on Win10 - VSync doesn't work properly, resulting in either stutter or massive stutter depending on your luck)

funny enough, it works for me know without any problems, rock solid 60 without any stutter.
maybe they fixed it finally

Xater

What are some good horror games on steam? I have Amnesia and Outlast. I like most genres but definitely prefer games where you don't mow things down with a gun. Having a gun with a lot of ammo kills any scares for me.

I just played Until Dawn on PS4 and that game was not at all scary. It doesn't help that I figured out the twist in my first hour of playing. :(

I hope you also played the Outlast DLC because it's just as good if not better. Also check out Soma.

Nzyme32

That is the most common complaint I have heard about this game.

Too true. It is very strange though - in retrospect I actually kind of like it since I didn't want the game to be over. I feel one of the biggest problems was that they did so well at managing tension and building up to these intense climaxes, but then started to have to push way to hard to keep the momentum up for what they wanted to do later, which didn't work as well at all. Still one of my favourites by the time it was all over, even with that over extension.

That's not Okami PC. :(

I'm with you man. One day it will be Okami. One day

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ModBot now inexplicably supports Beth.net keys, if those ever exist. Add (beth.net) or (bethesda) or (bethesda.net) to your giveaway line and the logo icon will show up automatically. *tumbleweed* Also Bethesda sucks as a publisher and beth.net is an embarrassment~!

7JcH7qU.png
damn that's a tight logo damn

Xater

ModBot now inexplicably supports Beth.net keys, if those ever exist. Add (beth.net) or (bethesda) or (bethesda.net) to your giveaway line and the logo icon will show up automatically. *tumbleweed* Also Bethesda sucks as a publisher and beth.net is an embarrassment~!

7JcH7qU.png

Oh man their CCG, whatever it is called again, is totally going to use Beth.net isn't it?

Nzyme32

7JcH7qU.png

Couldn't you have just used the
xheRJRF.gif
with an added ™

Edit - wait, why isn't that used for uplay either

7JcH7qU.png
I clicked load on mobile and their logo looks just like the icon when the picture can't load. Too funny.

Far Cry 3 is so fun! The jungle, colors, and gunplay are just what I needed to pull me out of my gaming slump.

I've already turned off the reticle and a few ui elements. I'm going to keep ticking them off as much as possibly can. And hopefully not use fast travel either, but the world might be too dead to cross the country repeatedly.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Well, Alien: Isolation! Not only does it capture the tension of the original movie (and then some), it's also a superb horror game. And it fits your criteria perfectly: you have ways of defending yourself, but this definitely isn't a shooter. But be prepared for a long campaign.

Another great one is Condemned: Criminal Origins, if you haven't played it already.

Too true. It is very strange though - in retrospect I actually kind of like it since I didn't want the game to be over. I feel one of the biggest problems was that they did so well at managing tension and building up to these intense climaxes, but then started to have to push way to hard to keep the momentum up for what they wanted to do later, which didn't work as well at all. Still one of my favourites by the time it was all over, even with that over extension.

Yeah I don't mind that much because the game is awesome, but I'm ready to be done with it. Mostly because I've been playing on hard, which causes you to play more slowly and more prudent to begin with. Also lost a lot of time in missions 5&6, so I've probably been at it longer than the average playtime. Wish I could check my total playtime but
I'm actually playing on PS4

Nzyme32

SHIT - Attempted to play MGS V for the first time in a long time now that I have a new PC...... I am stuck in a room with Paz and whenever I try to leave all I get is a blank screen and nothing happens......

On the one hand, I'll have fun playing from scratch, on the other hand, that's 96hrs down the drain and I have yet to finish the final part of the game. Better get started I guess.

Because uplay is actually OK.

Fair point. I have yet to use uplay since it's transition to the new look client. Having said that, it also doesn't help that I have yet to see reasonably priced more recent Ubisoft games that are actually either good or something I'm interested.

South Park and Grow Home are the only ones I have tried and thoroughly enjoyed since Assassin's Creed 2.. or which ever was after that.. and Far Cry 3. It helps that both of those were without Uplay too. Seems that both South Park TFBH and Grow Up will be my first purchases in a long time that I will get soon after or on launch, which will give me ample time to test uplay out.

dex3108

In one hand I am really glad that Dead Rising 1 is coming to PC and it is remastered but in the other hand even damn Capcom is doing remaster of 10 years old console exclusive and we are still waiting for RDR Remastered :(

Ludens

Banned
SHIT - Attempted to play MGS V for the first time in a long time now that I have a new PC...... I am stuck in a room with Paz and whenever I try to leave all I get is a blank screen and nothing happens......

On the one hand, I'll have fun playing from scratch, on the other hand, that's 96hrs down the drain and I have yet to finish the final part of the game. Better get started I guess.
Konami broke the game patch after patch, steam community hub is plenty of people with similar problems, some can't even launch the game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I am quite happy Dead Rising 1 is coming to Steam finally, but...

I want Haunting Ground, never played that.

Haunting Ground by far and large is one of Capcom's most underrated gems. It didn't sell great back in the day, and I almost never seen anyone on NeoGAF talk about it. It's got good pacing, interesting stalkers, good level design, a few nice but fairly easy puzzles, and probably has one of the most memorable underrated locations in any horror game I've played, plus a nice (and rather messed up) story.

tumblr_mxju24Ja921rgdtojo2_r1_500.gif

One day...

tumblr_mxju24Ja921rgdtojo1_500.gif

Capcom will totally remember that they own the rights to Haunting Ground...

tumblr_n1zeslmjiJ1s4jghho1_500.gif

One day...

latest

Yes, Daniella is best stalker. Alos she has the most gifs, so it helps. But it really is a shame, the game is quite good.

One day Capcom, one day!

tumblr_mfbfglh3KC1qcq2vho6_r1_250.gif

COME ON, this game was made by Capcom during the development of Resident Evil 4 when they were in a horror plethora, it even features some scrapped things from RE4 and fucking Hewie is 'that dog' from Resident Evil 4! Its a spiritual successor to the Clock Tower games... Yet no one almost ever even mentions it!

photo.jpg

The most artifical thing in existence, a perfect square, represents Bethesda. The black outer layer represents the company--all consuming and eternal, equivalent to God in their eyes. It is split up by the two most contrasting colours, black and white, representing the perfect that is the company and the imperfect that is the inner layer, the employee. The latter exists only to house the innermost square, the product. The perfect square within is an artifical, abstract thing to be manufactured; it is also the heart of the company and it is the beating lifeblood of both employee and company, for it is profit. Its shape and colour also matches that of the exterior layer, visible to all, representing its vitality, success, and the aforementioned perfection.

Truly, an awesome logo for a business. Beth-in-class.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
You wrote this huge wall of text and didn't even mention that awesome dog that literally fight for you, fucking shame I tell ya.

I didn't mention a lot of things, but I was trying to keep it there. Though did update to slightly mention him in RE4.

Haunting Ground does an excellent job at mixing a lot of things together. Hewie is the thing that sticks out in a lot of people's minds, as he's your helpful dog companion who helps you through the game, and is surprisingly helpful and fairly adorable when he does as such. It's one of the few things that Haunting Ground is remembered for by the few that play it, it has one of the best dogs in gaming.

But add to that is deals with the very underdone in gaming areas of Giallo and Exploitation Horror, mixed with a Belli Castle being an incredibly interesting locale which has interesting details in almost every room (and yes, includes some of the assets and rooms that were cut from Resident Evil 4), the item machine system is fun, the stalkers are all memorable and twisted and have big differences to each other, the boss battles are actually pretty decently done for the sort of game it is, it's very well paced, it has some fun puzzles, a lot of interesting scenes... Just... Gah.

There's a lot of games that Capcom needs to port eventually, and I hope they do. Obviously as Jawmucher will bring up, the Dino Crisis games are another one even in the horror category... But Haunting Ground is just one of the underappreciated Capcom gems that almost never gets mentioned when people are talking about Capcom gems that should be ported, which is a fucking shame.

We can do with more Haunting Ground gifs for the new page. And sure, more with Hewie.

latest
tumblr_o7f3tx2DhJ1ugopkgo1_400.gif
ljhmakn.gif

Haunting-Ground-Fiona-Ball-Kick.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom