• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeman

"The game just has some minor bugs I've found. On a side note, I compared the release of the game now to a space shuttle exploding. These two points are not contradictory at all."

Grief.exe

By playing games from specific year + some stuff i bought and want to play right now. I started my backlog cleaning from games released in 2004, currently I'm on 2007 so most of the games i have installed was originally released in this year.
A2XKRTG.jpg

Some of them i played immediately after i installed them, some games like LEGO Star Wars and TF2 are sitting on my HDD for ages, waiting when i'll finally get in the mood to finally play them.

That's a cool way to organize a Steam collection.

How do you guys choose a game to play when you are not sure what exactly you want ?

I never have this issue lol.
Due to lack of money and time I have to narrow it down to the absolute essentials and then I try to keep up with those releases in the order they become available, but since I mostly play rpgs and I can't even do that.

Take this year for example. I was interested in lots of games but due to lack of funds I had to skip a ton like Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, Horizon, RE7, etc.
So for the first semester I narrowed it down to 3: Nier, PErsona 5 and Tits 3rd.
I didn't manage to finish Nier before P5 released so for a few days I played both at the same time. Then I played P5 exclusively until Tits 3rd released, now I'm playing both since I still haven't been able to finish either. Once I'm done I already have The Last Guardian lined up which I borrowed from someone and I also need to finish Cold Steel 2 which is on a bit of a hiatus because of the other games I mentioned, though I still play it occasionally so I don't forget what's going on. The game is just so friggin' huge, so getting to the point of being done with all these will take me at least another 3 months.

I've also recently finished Stein's Gate but I was reading that in bed on my Vita before falling asleep so it didn't cut into my normal gaming time, VNs are perfect for the Vita. This one made a very strong impression on me, can't get it out of my mind.
I want to get 0 during the current PSN sale but I don't have 15 euros for that, it's pathetic, I have a degree and work my ass off but the business I started for my wife when she became unemployed has burried me in debts.

fallout

How do you guys choose a game to play when you are not sure what exactly you want ?
I just start kind of at random and then imagine myself playing it. If that doesn't seem appealing, I move on. Then, when I've found nothing, I just fire up Rocket League like I always do.

tmarg

I think some people will be disappointed when they will realize that Cuphead is not a platformer. I know I was.

eIeHppV.png

This much interest based almost entirely on the art style definitely has me worried that it could be the spiritual successor to Mercenary Kings and Slain.

This much interest based almost entirely on the art style definitely has me worried that it could be the spiritual successor to Mercenary Kings and Slain.

Mercenary Kings oh boy

That could have been the GOAT indie/2D/whatever game. Contra X Monster Hunter with online co-op? How do you fuck up such simple mechanics!

By playing games from specific year + some stuff i bought and want to play right now. I started my backlog cleaning from games released in 2004, currently I'm on 2007 so most of the games i have installed was originally released in this year.
A2XKRTG.jpg

Some of them i played immediately after i installed them, some games like LEGO Star Wars and TF2 are sitting on my HDD for ages, waiting when i'll finally get in the mood to finally play them.
I think I'd like to categorise mine like this. Was there a tool you used to speed up the process or was it all manually done?

I must be the only one that doesn't like cuphead and thinks it looks like chromatic aberration the game.

Do you think CA is universally bad? I dislike it for the most part but there are times where the effect makes the game look better like in Alien Isolation. Cuphead looks fine with the CA but i do hope they have an option to turn it off.

Do you think CA is universally bad? I dislike it for the most part but there are times where the effect makes the game look better like in Alien Isolation. Cuphead looks fine with the CA but i do hope they have an option to turn it off.
No I think CA can be okay if done well, cuphead looks like it was turned on to 11.

Freezard

A2XKRTG.jpg

Hey I also categorize my games by year :) Got games from 2010 and on wards lol.

Ascheroth

It seems XSeed took a liking in steam bomba releases.

So, instead of giving us a date+price+awareness months in advance, they'll drop it two weeks before release.

Seriously, I love XSEED, but the marketing work leaves to be desired.
At this point I really don't get why they announced July without a date.
Like, we're 2 weeks into July, and unless they drop it out of nowhere, it's going to be towards the end of July, in which case... why didn't they say so from the beginning??

hohoXD123

Time for some more Steam bitching. Bought What Remains of Edith Finch. That didn't work on my gaming PC, so had to play it on my laptop. I've had frequent client crashes. And now I bought Battlegrounds but can't even play what I paid for because of a "failed to initialize steam" error. I don't care if this is to do with that rumour of MS fucking with Steam with new Windows updates, or there's something wrong with just my PC, or Valve themselves shitting the bed, but fuck this, if a game is available on GOG and Steam I'm going to get it on the former. I rarely use the client itself for opening games anymore and there are ways around cloud saves.

Zeneric

Fixed, kinda (the title "Nintendo Super Nintendo" is triggering my OCD).

Qhzc.jpg

and "Software" after "Third-Person Shooter". Didn't notice till now. Can't do shit bout it; I'm stuck.

Freezard

So, this one was pretty neat.

It feels a bit like condemned in the beginning, but goes into a wildly different direction as the game goes on.

Despite being labelled as FPS, i really wouldn't recommend it as a shooter, since you spend a lot of time following th story, exploring, collecting evidence and even some puzzles.

The shooting gameplay in on itself is fairly janky, but manages to be nonetheless very fun as there are some cool things at your disposal like a CornerGun.

The Story is in on itself fairly good but nothing outstanding, the way it is told is pretty exciting.

Graphics are shite but the game still manages to be visually interesting a lot of times, soundtrack also happens to be really good whenever it is there.

If you can get past it being an obvious low budget game, i very much recommend it.

Man, I had completely forgotten about the CornerGun. I only used it once in the tutorial and then I thought I had normal weapons and had to get it in another way so I never used it again >_< It's definitely not a low budget game though, the production value is high especially the sound design, it's mostly the graphics being uneven in quality. It's too bad the game has gone under most people's radar, going to be a sleeper hit in the future I'm sure of.

FoneBone

So, this one was pretty neat.

It feels a bit like condemned in the beginning, but goes into a wildly different direction as the game goes on.

Despite being labelled as FPS, i really wouldn't recommend it as a shooter, since you spend a lot of time following th story, exploring, collecting evidence and even some puzzles.

The shooting gameplay in on itself is fairly janky, but manages to be nonetheless very fun as there are some cool things at your disposal like a CornerGun.

The Story is in on itself fairly good but nothing outstanding, the way it is told is pretty exciting.

Graphics are shite but the game still manages to be visually interesting a lot of times, soundtrack also happens to be really good whenever it is there.

If you can get past it being an obvious low budget game, i very much recommend it.

Given the style the game is going for, CA is somewhat justified unlike many other games

Thanks for supplying me with this Tizoc :3
Yeah, this is going on my buy-on-sale list for sure.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
For those looking for a PS1 aesthetic, maybe check out Vaccine on Steam (and Switch now).

Very Resident Evil inspired.

It's never going to satisfy the "mastering" of the mansion like the original Resident Evil, and as far as scares go it doesn't last, but as a "Spelunky of Resident Evil style", I'm enjoying it a lot on Switch.

Shantom

Time for some more Steam bitching. Bought What Remains of Edith Finch. That didn't work on my gaming PC, so had to play it on my laptop. I've had frequent client crashes. And now I bought Battlegrounds but can't even play what I paid for because of a "failed to initialize steam" error. I don't care if this is to do with that rumour of MS fucking with Steam with new Windows updates, or there's something wrong with just my PC, or Valve themselves shitting the bed, but fuck this, if a game is available on GOG and Steam I'm going to get it on the former. I rarely use the client itself for opening games anymore and there are ways around cloud saves.

GOG has cloud saves now anyway.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys quick question...

Are we supposed to be able to get rumble when using the Dual Shock 4 via USB without any special programs (ie: DS4Windows or similar)?

I'm using my DS4 with a couple of games right now and some of them even recognize it and change the on screen button prompt (Dead Cells, Hollow Knight) but I'm not getting rumble anywhere.

I don't think there's actual rumble in Hollow Knight but I know there is in Dead Cells cause there's an option for it in the menu and it's enabled.

KainXVIII

Hey guys quick question...

Are we supposed to be able to get rumble when using the Dual Shock 4 via USB without any special programs (ie: DS4Windows or similar)?

I'm using my DS4 with a couple of games right now and some of them even recognize it and change the on screen button prompt (Dead Cells, Hollow Knight) but I'm not getting rumble anywhere.

I don't think there's actual rumble in Hollow Knight but I know there is in Dead Cells cause there's an option for it in the menu and it's enabled.

Hollow Knight don't have vibration at all.
Also native DS4 support is a little wonky in many games right now, so try enabling Steam DS4 controller support, you will lose playstation button prompts, but will have vibration =)
I found only two games that have full native ds4 support (vibration, led lights, button prompts) - Rise of the Tomb Raider and Witcher 3..but only if you connect dualshock 4 with usb cable, wireless - no luck.

My girlfriend got a new phone (same number) but she forgot to write down her mobile recovery code. She isn't receiving SMS notifications from Steam either and support is of course the fucking slowest.

Is there anything she can do to actually get back into her account?

Forgot to post once this thread was made, whoops.

VWxLRkm.png

Finished Cosmic Star Heroine. Despite bugs around launch that got fixed by the time I got to the game is really fun. Only thing I had were some UI hitches at times which were only in the menu. Got mildly Chrono Trigger vibes from and other 16 bit JRPGs. Combat has a unique twist on it and it's nice to have a game that you only have to worry about the battle at hand since health goes back to full after each fight. It was short for RPG but, worth the price as a game in general and this length I am pretty satisfied with.

Did you do it manually... for all your games ? Or just for the few games installed ans shown on the screenshot?
Yes, i did it for all my games:
gXDqZI1.jpg

And yes, for all 6k games i have. But it's really not that hard as you can think, i started to do this when i had like 2k games and that required some time and effort. Now i'm just adding every new game immediately after i bought or activated it, and usually it takes only few seconds to look at release date at store page and add game to correct filter.

Madventure

My girlfriend got a new phone (same number) but she forgot to write down her mobile recovery code. She isn't receiving SMS notifications from Steam either and support is of course the fucking slowest.

Is there anything she can do to actually get back into her account?

I don't know if any of those responses will help but..

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/530645961936568742/

The people in that thread seemed to come up with some answers, I don't know if any of them worked

Specifically Although It's from 2015
And the mobile authenticator has changed a bit in those 2 years so I dunno

xPaw

SteamDB developer and generally a pretty crafty guy.
So new client can display tags in library? (IDs so it can be translated for display)

It's just that SteamDB doesn't handle those particularly well. (Since tags seems to switch order all the time, it causes many changes).

Volvo's changing the order, and we log it. If we didn't log order changes, all these changenumbers wouldn't have any changes associated with them.

Monooboe

I think I have to start sorting by date also, I can't believe I haven't thought about that, I mean I sort my photos by date and also used to it with my music also.

Nabs

Hey whatever you got going, please help me. Because Me and some folks in the steam forums are still all screwed up.

I didn't do anything fancy. I just started it up and it worked. I'm using the recommended developer config.

I do have rumble enabled in Steam (Controller Options).

Arthea

The House in Fata Morgana and why you should approach it with caution

The problem with Fata Morgana is that it is not a bad VN as such but it is a very boring one, like I'd say unbearably so, considering its length, and as it isn't really bad, you might think that you just need to man up and finish it, but... it never really gets interesting and here is why:
1. Repetition, the worst crime a writer can commit, repetition is not good and it should be minimized, if it's required (different perspective from different characters), it should be done in such a different way as not to look like repetition.
2. Screaming, moaning, and other random sounds doesn't transition well to the written form, instead of doing AAAAAAAAAAAs, author is way better of telling what a certain character feels, that's what literature is for.
3. Characters are so one dimensional and shallow that they look like dolls with horrible stories for the most part. I don't need my literature to be realistic, no, but some depth to characters would have been nice. To be fair, it is a tad rectified at the end, but that's too little too late.
4. Interminable fussing over every little detail, on and on and on.
5. There is not enough going on for it being as long as it is.
6. Some nitpicking: art is odd, static characters look nice, but sometimes when they change position or show emotion they look nothing like themselves. Backgrounds leave much to be desired.
7. Final word, assuming that it is a mystery VN, it makes you wait for some suspense, and it is simply not there.

there is a sad truth there that probably wouldn't have bought it if not all hype, after such a reception I honestly expected a masterpiece and this VN is very far from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom