• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmm, I need the more recent Awesomenauts costume DLC, but there are nine items all up so I get the feeling they'll be bundled together soon enough just as the other 18 were.

Lomax

So, I've had a bunch of credit in my Playfire account for a while, but it's still been weeks and the credit isn't showing up on GMG, what should I do? (I kinda want to get something to give away today)

First thing to try is log out of GMG and then log back in, until recently that was refreshing my account every time. The previous time they had a major sale though the credits were really slow to transfer, so I suspect that will be the case now as well.

'Purchase' the free EVE Online sub over at Green Man, should get your funds to update.

I made two purchases in the last 24 hours and (for the first time) neither forced a refresh of funds, so no guarantee this will work any more. My account did finally refresh a few hours after the second purchase though, which may have been a delay, or a coincidence.

Anteater

It's not actually Ada, IIRC

hmm I shouldn't have read that, lol

but man wtf is she wearing

bh6_2014_06_09_00_39_s9s0g.jpg

Garcia

Reposting for new page.

ModBot said:
Legacy of Kain Pack

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Legacy of Kain Pack -- MB-C792AD6AC50FC7B2 - Taken by Kryptonite. 57 entrants total.

t1402253632z1.png

Nzyme32

My first post in this thread!

I recently tried playing Deus Ex: GOTY seeing as Human Revolution is one of my favorite games in recent years. It had a great atmosphere with smart gameplay to make the most of its world. GOTY, however, didn't really click with me when playing through the first mission. To me, it feels a bit outdated. I cannot seem to be engaged in the story or the gameplay due to how lifeless it feels. It also has a ton of different tools, which makes it feel messy whereas Human Revolution streamlined a lot.

Should I keep playing, or is it better to stop? I keep hearing so much praise about it, and how it's much better than Human Revolution which makes me feel a bit confunded.

Oh man, I have very strong feelings on this one, but it's hard for me to judge whether my view is based on the nostalgia of playing it at the time it launch (at which point it was mind blowing). I think it was and still is to an extent deserving of the game of the year moniker. I would push you to keep going. The first mission is bland as it serves as a simple first mission that is a bit of an extension to training and also a foundation to begin the narrative.

The world feeling lifeless may well be an issue you see in some places as map sizes are larger but NPC are not in large amounts. There are a lot of tools and mechanics and they do have good purpose. They serve an important part of creating choice and also in some cases preventing certain choices/progression. The same is true for conversation and narrative to an extent as there are a lot of ways of exploring that depending on what you want to sift through. Narrative does improve significantly as you gone on, as do your choices/actions, which may get you more engaged than now. I suppose another issue may be that you simply can't tell sometimes if you are having an effect on your direction or the narrative without another playthrough perhaps

KarmaCow

Yeah dude, Deathwish is the worst, I've come to terms that I will never get those achievements.

The stealthable missions aren't too different on death wish, you can easily solo all the Bank variants. The ones that force you to fight also mean you need to play in a very specific way (camp out next to a choke point) and pray to the RNG gods. It's not necessarily a bad thing to demand so much attention and group composition for the absolute hardest difficulty but it's frustrating seeing 3 dozers come every minute. If nothing else, it is intense.

derExperte

Just by achievement completion rates per game, yeah.

My issue is I start a lot of games when I get them, even if I don't play through them right then. As soon as you launch a game, its achievements start counting towards and against that completion rate.

Nope, if you don't get at least one achievement the game doesn't count.

JaseC

Apparently Magical Drop V very recently received a base price drop to, uh, $0.99. The game was previously $5 and its historical low $1.24, so if you don't already have it, there's no time like the present.

Tellaerin

Apparently Magical Drop V very recently received a base price drop to, uh, $0.99. The game was previously $5 and its historical low $1.24, so if you don't already have it, there's no time like the present.

...and now I'm wondering why no one's created "Magical Drop Bear" yet. It just seems too obvious not to jump on (no pun intended... okay, maybe a little. >.>)

The stealthable missions aren't too different on death wish, you can easily solo all the Bank variants. The ones that force you to fight also mean you need to play in a very specific way (camp out next to a choke point) and pray to the RNG gods. It's not necessarily a bad thing to demand so much attention and group composition for the absolute hardest difficulty but it's frustrating seeing 3 dozers come every minute. If nothing else, it is intense.

Yeah it's totally doable with the right team and everyone on the same page but 9 times out of 10 someone fucks something up, or the Dozer/Cloaker army destroys us.

Nabs

It looks like more Devolver games are getting discounts. Heavy Bullets - 25% off, Always Sometimes Monsters Deluxe - 20% off, and Cosmic DJ - 25% off.

Exuro

'Purchase' the free EVE Online sub over at Green Man, should get your funds to update.
How long does it take after purchasing? I had to have a gmg rep move my funds over the first time, so I've made 3ish dollars since and they haven't moved.

chronomac

So we're about half a year from when SteamOS was announced. How many here are actively using it? I'm thinking about setting my system up to dual-boot Windows 8 and SteamOS but I don't know if it's worth it. Is it still a pain to install and, if not, do you see a good performance boost using it?

liezryou

So those of you who are interested in witcher 3 from Russian traders may want to get in on it fast. I expect a region lock coming soon; This region lock would affect any non-redeemed copies at that point and any newly bought ones. The ones that were already redeemed would not be locked.

So we're about half a year from when SteamOS was announced. How many here are actively using it? I'm thinking about setting my system up to dual-boot Windows 8 and SteamOS but I don't know if it's worth it. Is it still a pain to install and, if not, do you see a good performance boost using it?

From the impressions I read, it's still very early. If you want a more functional linux distro at this point you're probably better off with Ubuntu and its forks. That is, if you want to use it for more than gaming. Also what GPU do you have. If it's AMD, don't bother with linux for now. I think the install has gotten a lot better. It supports dual-booting for ex.

JaseC

So those of you who are interested in witcher 3 from Russian traders may want to get in on it fast. I expect a region lock coming soon; This region lock would affect any non-redeemed copies at that point and any newly bought ones. The ones that were already redeemed would not be locked.

It's been a matter of time from the get-go for the simple fact that there's region-specific pricing on GOG itself. I don't expect the game's region-free status to survive the coming working week.

Grief.exe

It's an incredibly feeling to coming back to Escape from Butcher Bay and San Andreas a decade later and the games are still as good as the day you first experienced them.

chronomac

From the impressions I read, it's still very early. If you want a more functional linux distro at this point you're probably better off with Ubuntu and its forks. That is, if you want to use it for more than gaming. Also what GPU do you have. If it's AMD, don't bother with linux for now. I think the install has gotten a lot better. It supports dual-booting for ex.

I have an older Nvidia card, a GTX 460 1GB. It, with my FX-6300 and 8 GBs of RAM, can run pretty much everything at 1080p, with exceptions.

Wouldn't it be possible that the sub gets a onlyallowrunincountries tag and people are fucked anyway?

Looks like the same sub is being sold in US and RU but not in UK/EU.

Or am I wrong?

I have an older Nvidia card, a GTX 460 1GB. It, with my FX-6300 and 8 GBs of RAM, can run pretty much everything at 1080p, with exceptions.

I see. Well, if you only want to use SteamOS for gaming, I guess you can give it a try. Valve promised non-gaming features, but still no news on that. And it does have a desktop, so I guess you can mess around with it.

liezryou

It's been a matter of time from the get-go for the simple fact that there's region-specific pricing on GOG itself. I don't expect the game's region-free status to survive the coming working week.

I know sigh, i wish there was a way to capitalize and make profits but the retroactive region locks kills it.

JaseC

Wouldn't it be possible that the sub gets a onlyallowrunincountries tag and people are fucked anyway?

Or am I wrong?

Theoretically CDPR could lock down the subs that way, but South Park is the only game I'm aware of that does so outside of Eastern Europe (the German and Aussie subs also suffer), plus it'd make The Witcher 3 another case of a sub being retroactively region-locked up the wazoo and all such previous cases were ultimately reversed as it harmed those who did actually receive the games as a gift. Adding the gifting/trading restriction is the simplest and least messy way of dealing with cross-region trading. Sure, there's collateral damage with regard to unused gift copies, but that's far less annoying than an IP-based restriction, which also impacts those who've already activated the game.

Basically, as long as you don't let copies linger in your inventory, you'll be fine.

Theoretically CDPR could lock down the subs that way, but South Park is the only game I'm aware of that does so outside of Eastern Europe (the German and Aussie subs also suffer), plus it'd make The Witcher 3 another case of a sub being retroactively region-locked up the wazoo and all such previous cases were ultimately reversed as it harmed those who did actually receive the games as a gift. Adding the gifting/trading restriction is the simplest and least messy way of dealing with cross-region trading. Sure, there's collateral damage with regard to unused gift copies, but that's far less annoying than an IP-based restriction.

Thanks for the explanation. Seems like the risk is negligible.

derExperte

It looks like more Devolver games are getting discounts. Heavy Bullets - 25% off, Always Sometimes Monsters Deluxe - 20% off, and Cosmic DJ - 25% off.

And Broforce!

But while it's not much as someone who bought the game day 1 I can't say I'm happy seeing Always discounted so soon, at least give it a month.

Or am I wrong?

It's a preorder so you could cancel the purchase if something bad happens. edit: Brainfart, my bad. Can't cancel anything when getting it cheap via trade.

JaseC

Has there been said anything about Steamworks in Dark Souls? Tried it a month ago, couldn't log in.

Scamco is leaving GFWL intact for the time being but it also said that it'll explore long-term solutions in the future. In other words, Steamworks is coming, but there's no saying when.

Halo 2

Banned
Guys!
I got a new computer so now I can actually play PC games!!
Would it be a bad idea to go straight to Dark Souls II? I've never played the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom