• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

Never change CliffyB:

CliffTweet.jpg

Eurgh, anything that prompted this?

I respect Cliffy as a designer but I don't think I've ever agreed with one thing that he has ever said with his loud mouthed soapbox attitude.

Volimar

Trying to do the coop missions in single player are rough. Sniper rifle does make a difference though.

Devs not liking Neogaf are those who dont like the truth.

To be fair, gaming side does love its dogpiles. Cliffy's not really being the better man by calling GAF cunts though.

Levyne

Banned
Oh neat, I just won Chronicles of Riddick (Athena). Always wanted to try it since enjoying The New Order.

Is Escape from Butcher Bay a similar game? Do I need to play them in any order? Edit: I have no experience with the franchise/movies.

aku:jiki

Has anyone checked out A Wizard's Lizard? I'm hoping it shows up in the sale, though I'm assuming it won't and am ready to pick it up at full price. Like the game I previously posted about, Brandon Must Die, AWL is a direct Isaac clone that plays pretty much exactly like the original. It looks a little better and more fleshed-out than Brandon was, plus it's actually already on Steam. It seems to have some unique depth to it with the death mechanic (there's a living world and a dead one and if you die, you enter the latter one, but there are ways to resurrect and so on) and I like that finding people, blueprints and stuff in dungeons adds to your homebase village.

Northernlion is doing a series on AWL if anyone wants to see more. He's terrible at it, of course, as is customary with NL.

Anyone who picked up both this and Pixel Boy and can tell me which one to go for? Rebirth is still far enough away that I need more clones in my life, but Brandon Must Die didn't quite scratch the itch (mostly due to ugly graphics and that terrible reloading mechanic).

Never change CliffyB:

CliffTweet.jpg

he's not wrong about the not playing games part though, most people here (and not talking just about this thread but the whole board) talk more about games instead of playing them
same can be said for other boards though, neogaf's population is the same as a regular board minus obvious trolls that are kept out because of the mods and closed registration

Eurgh, anything that prompted this?

I respect Cliffy as a designer but I don't think I've ever agreed with one thing that he has ever said with his loud mouthed soapbox attitude.

he tweeted that naughty dog employee about doing crunch hours (or whatever that called) and some people got mad in the other thread

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
repost for the 100 post per page rollover crew

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ibb & Obb -- MB-889C365328720795 - Taken by Sub Zero. 15 entrants total.
Ibb & Obb Deluxe Edition -- MB-4F449FEE90067697 - Taken by Cloudius12. 14 entrants total.

t1403079623z1.png

Aerocrane

Oh neat, I just won Chronicles of Riddick (Athena). Always wanted to try it since enjoying The New Order.

Is Escape from Butcher Bay a similar game? Do I need to play them in any order? Edit: I have no experience with the franchise/movies.

Escape from Butcher Bay is included in Assault on Dark Athena, and it should be played first as Athena is the sequel.

man people were not kidding about rage's abrupt ending

i thought i was prepared for it

i was not

it surprised me even though i was expecting the worst

Volimar

he's not wrong about the not playing games part though, most people here (and not talking just about this thread but the whole board) talk more about games instead of playing them
same can be said for other boards though, neogaf's population is the same as a regular board minus obvious trolls that are kept out because of the mods and closed registration

This is true about every past time related forum though. Sports, shows, cars, etc. People talk about their pursuits more than pursuing them.

Tomodachi

Still undecided on pulling the trigger on FC3 (5€ at gamersgate), it won't probably be cheaper than this during summer sale. Is there any coupon for gamersgate floating around by any chance?

Salsa

this cyanogenmod camera sucks balls and im gonna flash a stock rom on my phone cause fuck it

I blame phone woes to missing ibb & obb giveaway

Arthea

Still undecided on pulling the trigger on FC3 (5€ at gamersgate), it won't probably be cheaper than this during summer sale. Is there any coupon for gamersgate floating around by any chance?

You know it's uplay and not a steam key, don't you?

edited: no coupons, no, Rhaknar got one and kept for himself
just kidding, I don't even know can these be used by other person

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
CliffyB has always had a big mouth and GAF has always called him out on bullshit, so I'm not surprised. I also wouldn't be surprised if what he said about devs is true with many. A lot of devs these says sit under ridiculous corporate pressure, and even those who don't still need to survive at the pace of the industry, and so the only way to push out product and not hate your life is to love what you are doing, to make yourself believe in it fully, as a club. So, many dev environments turn into an insulated fraternity of sorts, and they cant take dissent very well. They need to feel like they're doing something amazing and meaningful to feel like their effort is worth it, and it is hard to accept the reality that they're making a game people will consume and toss aside and/or shit on.

So they hate gamers who criticize what they offer, like a rock band hates people who sit around and bitch about how much they suck. "Well I don't do what I do for fucks who don't appreciate my work" they may say to themselves, even though they work for a company that does everything for money, and the money relies on people liking it, so it actually is for "ungrateful" gamers in a sense whether they want it to be or not. To this situation I say be an artist and do things for your own passion (props to Corrinne), be corporate and actually try to give people what they want, or accept the oxymoron of the two in your life and don't give a fuck, but bothering about what gamers say is useless to you and to them.

Anyway, that's why devs have community managers these days. They are like the liver of industry relations. They're very necessary, since the art vs consumerism purpose of games, much like music as I mentioned, cross each other a lot despite being very different. In previews you'll always get stuff like, say, the sword slashing in MGR, but when it comes to playing it just becomes as a given to the existence of the game world and nobody thinks twice about it, instead focusing on their general entertainment. Yet shit like that took a lot of work from someone, and may really be innovative for the field. That's the bridge of art and enjoyment, just like most people simply listen to whatever music gives them a good mood.

Don't know if its been mentioned, but anyone planning to head to Currys for the Steam card offer don't bother, the offer seems to have been cancelled at the 11th hour. The guy who originally set up the deal for Currys posted on HotUKDeals saying that after he left the company it all fell apart, but PoS had already been distributed.

Steam's Recommendations are useless. They claim it's based on what I like and what I've shown an interest in, but it's really just whatever games are on sale or on the first page of the best sellers.

There's no link at all between the recommendations and games I've invested a lot hours into, or what I've got on my wishlist.

Arthea

Steam's Recommendations are useless. They claim it's based on what I like and what I've shown an interest in, but it's really just whatever games are on sale or on the first page of the best sellers.

There's no link at all between the recommendations and games I've invested a lot hours into, or what I've got on my wishlist.

I think it just suggests something similar to last played games, yup, totally useless.

I think it just suggests something similar to last played games, yup, totally useless.

I'm not sure it's even that!

It's recommending Strike Vector (on sale) based on games I've recently played, yet, the games I've played recently:

Rocksmith
RPG Maker
Puzzle Quest
Football Manager
Uplink

It's either useless or steam are trying/paid to push certain games. Probably just useless and lazy idea never fully implemented, which sounds far more like Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom