• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like it much, it is made deliberately slow with transition between scenes and keeping me from going through text and locations fast, if it was interesting enough story, I wouldn't be complaining about it, but it isn't.
I plan to finish it, just because I already gone through half of it if not more, and I leave too many games unfinished, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone, it simply is not good enough.

This is how I felt too, I just couldn't get into it despite enjoying a good spy novel now and again (and I think I remember having watch the TV series Tinker, Sailor, Solider, Spy that week too).

My "playtime" at the end was a bit under five hours, but I imagine a focused individual who doesn't get up for pee breaks, GAF breaks, and making dinner, could get through in about two hours or so.

I'll give it ago as one of the 52 games this year. I shall not be defeated... (only lasted 15 minutes last time according to Steam).

ArjanN

lol I beat the game without learning how to properly lock on an enemy

Revengeance really was surprisingly easy on normal. I started on hard and even that was too easy. Pretty obvious they lowered the bar for 'normal' significantly so people who just wanted to mash buttons and watch the crazy cut-scenes could get through it. Definitely start at least on hard difficulty if you've played any game of this type before.

Deques

Spare
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ichi -- MB-F7C60CC1716CFA00 - Taken by bobnowhere

Tizoc

Hot damn son
Awesome, thanks.

watch_dogs_exe_dx11_20140618_031243_1080p_by_confidence_man-d7mubjf.jpg

watch_dogs_exe_dx11_20140618_032930_1080p_by_confidence_man-d7mubkd.jpg

This will be fun to play around with.

Turfster

37 minutes to GOG's "big surprise"

in 3 hours, the price went back to $7.49?
what gives?

It's their weird 2 hour sales thing.
The games are in a rotation, though, so it should come back.
I see WORLD END ECONOMiCA was released (yes, all caps, for reasons)
Japan loves caps!

Ohshiiiit, the Battlefield Hardline Beta appeared out of nowhere in my Origin account. No email, no nothing. Weird but I'll take it.
"Please play our shitty game."
(Sorry devs, but your premise is horrible and you should feel bad.)

Is Sim City 4 likely to be any cheaper during the sales compared to Nuuvem's current price?
It's been like, 1€ during sales. Repeatedly. Probably will be again this sale.

Is there a Longest Journey bundle or something ongoing? Two give-aways today (that I missed, lol)
Groupees Be Mine 13.

nanomachines, son.
k
Revengeance really was surprisingly easy on normal. I started on hard and even that was too easy. Pretty obvious they lowered the bar for 'normal' significantly so people who just wanted to mash buttons and watch the crazy cut-scenes could get through it. Definitely start at least on hard difficulty if you've played any game of this type before.
It's my first Platinum game, so I struggle against some bosses lol

I hate Monsoon.

You know you spend too much time on GAF when you dream of posting in a thread that a Crysis port leaked from a retailer (even the name of the retailer: Saturn) to be coming to consoles and that it will be 1080p/60fps. But it doesn't stop there. Posters respond that I copied some leaked info wrong and I correct this. Discussions start whether it will be a port (all three games) or a new game.

Yup, some dream of being on a tropical paradise island while others dream of flying. I dream of posting leaked news on GAF.

derExperte

Am I the only one having trouble with the dude in the desert? The last bossfight is supposedly hard as well. Playing on PS3 if that makes a difference.

Arthea

This is how I felt too, I just couldn't get into it despite enjoying a good spy novel now and again (and I think I remember having watch the TV series Tinker, Sailor, Solider, Spy that week too).

I like how they don't even let us to decode that book, I stuck with playing it until that moment in hopes, finally, there I'll have something to do. Nope, not even that. (><)
I like spy movies well enough too, but this is just not good, even if we forget it's not really a game.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ALCARYS COMPLEX -- MB-C94728F9A7DDE118 - Taken by arts&crafts

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I think I found Morningbus' secret Twitter account when someone posted this in the Team Fortress 2 Expiration Date thread (Anthony Birch wrote Borderlands 2):

BMuEK1F.png

Arthea

On one hand, thanks for the heads up, I grabbed it. On the other hand, why did I grab it? I'm not going to play it, especially since I don't like much these type of games.

you made us proud, M&M must live!

is that good enough reason for you? (><)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
If you buy MMX do not play on warrior difficulty. It's ridiculously difficult and becomes a giant, annoying, slog (especially since enemies don't respawn).

Adventurer is a decent challenge.

I don't like it much, it is made deliberately slow with transition between scenes and keeping me from going through text and locations fast, if it was interesting enough story, I wouldn't be complaining about it, but it isn't.
I plan to finish it, just because I already gone through half of it if not more, and I leave too many games unfinished, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone, it simply is not good enough.

It's not a good game, but it is at the very least good interactive fiction. The voice acting was fine and it's a good adaptation of the book and Hannay character. It's considered one of the earliest "man on the run" adventures and arguably invented the genre. Plus, the novel is 100 years old next year.

But yeah, as a game, it certainly comes up short. You can't fail, and player inputs are the equivalent of turning a page to see what happens next. I wish more was done with the documents, which were interesting to read but ultimately unimportant to the story. I remember also being unimpressed by the ghostly silhouettes used for character animations.

I think it's a worthy adaptation of the original, overall. I recommend it for sure, but only if you don't expect much out of it as a game.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
You know you spend too much time on GAF when you dream of posting in a thread that a Crysis port leaked from a retailer (even the name of the retailer: Saturn) to be coming to consoles and that it will be 1080p/60fps. But it doesn't stop there. Posters respond that I copied some leaked info wrong and I correct this. Discussions start whether it will be a port (all three games) or a new game.

Yup, some dream of being on a tropical paradise island while others dream of flying. I dream of posting leaked news on GAF.

I had a few dreams about playing CS 1.6, back when I played it religiously. It happens to all of us in one way or another.

Arthea

It's not a good game, but it is at the very least good interactive fiction. The voice acting was fine and it's a good adaptation of the book and Hannay character. It's considered one of the earliest "man on the run" adventures and arguably invented the genre. Plus, the novel is 100 years old next year.

But yeah, as a game, it certainly comes up short. You can't fail, and player inputs are the equivalent of turning a page to see what happens next. I wish more was done with the documents, which were interesting to read but ultimately unimportant to the story. I remember also being unimpressed by the ghostly silhouettes used for character animations.

I think it's a worthy adaptation of the original, overall. I recommend it for sure, but only if you don't expect much out of it as a game.

I see your point, but I would still rather watch a movie (or read a book), it fails miserably as a game, not only because of it's nature but because how is it made and how flow of a game is stopped constantly by pauses that have no meaning, that I can see.

I see your point, but I would still rather watch a movie (or read a book), it fails miserably as a game, not only because of it's nature but because how is it made and how flow of a game is stopped constantly by pauses that has no meaning, that I can see.

Well, how else do you expect them to claim a 5-8 hour playtime??

But yeah, watch one of the movies, or even grab the book. The game is remarkably well done in that respect, and I think the Scots are very proud of it. It really is one of the original spy novels.

Yes.

Wouldn't be surprised if other sites gave Evolve some awards too. And then people being confused, pissed about it.

People need media outlets to confirm their preferences about a game, if a videogame that they aren't hyped get an award it's shit outlet, but then when there is the new big game coming they still wait for the gaming sites wrote their reviews and give notes because it confirms and justify they liking a video game, it's a strange behavior.

Gave up on the witcher last night. I got to a battle in the swamp that was wayyyyyy too much to deal with. I used options and whetstones and all that jazz and I still couldn't get it done. It sucks to put 20 hours into a game and just let it go : /

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Gave up on the witcher last night. I got to a battle in the swamp that was wayyyyyy too much to deal with. I used options and whetstones and all that jazz and I still couldn't get it done. It sucks to put 20 hours into a game and just let it go : /

Swamp was pretty hard, but after that the game's not that challenging. You should not give it up because you're missing out on one of the best RPGs of the last ten years

There was clearly one right pick for game of the show and it was 1080p, 60 fps and a minute long cutscene.

are people pissed that uncharted 4 didn't get an award like fo reals ?
that's it guys and gals, video games are done, we've reached the point when a teaser deserves an award more than a playable game, abandon ship

People need media outlets to confirm their preferences about a game, if a videogame that they aren't hyped get an award it's shit outlet, but then when there is the new big game coming they still wait for the gaming sites wrote their reviews and give notes because it confirms and justify they liking a video game, it's a strange behavior.

Yeah. Or look at award season. Like last year with TLOU. If your so convinced it's the GOAT why would you need the press to confirm it for you. Last year Dust and Swapper were my favorites, yet I wasn't yelling around how they should be recognized by the press.

Sounds like you really like Evolve.

I haven't even played it, but ever since its reveal it has been received well by the press, especially when it became playable. There was a recent preview event, then judges week, now at E3.

It's competitive, it's team based, it has Dota elements. It demoes well at events. Not surprising it gets a couple of awards.

There was clearly one right pick for game of the show and it was 1080p, 60 fps and a minute long cutscene.

lol

I doubt people are going to through a fit about that this time around.

are people pissed that uncharted 4 didn't get an award like fo reals ?

Not that I saw on GAF.

edit: what derExperte said.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.

Arthea

new release

no discount, but not expensive too - 3,99&#8364;

it again reminds me something, *checks release date this time*
seems to be a new release, but definitely reminds me some game.

edited: forgot most important thing, it's a space shooter

W1 or 2? And which battle?

Witcher 1.

Quest: Diplomacy and Hunting

Swamp was pretty hard, but after that the game's not that challenging. You should not give it up because you're missing out on one of the best RPGs of the last ten years

It's just that I've done everything I can. I've used magic, I've used Blizzard to slow things down, Swallow to keep my health regen going, whetstones to boost my damage. I've tried focusing on the huge monsters first, I've tried focusing on the armored salamandra first, I've tried kiting some enemies away, I've even tried just raiding the Salamandra encampment to just kill them before the fight with the Hierophant and two wyverns at my side and after 2 hours of different strategies I've got nothing to show for it. I even downloaded the Difficulty Potions mod to try and reduced the difficulty down to easy and I'm not even sure if that really worked.

In the end, I just wanted to experience the lore and main plot points in the witcher before getting into the witcher 2. I kinda think that there should be an Adventure game mode where the battles are basically a nonissue just so one can play through the great story stuff. Makes me long for a Witcher game done by Telltale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom