• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calling Witcher 3 fetch-y is the least accurate description of that game. "Do this, do that", if we are going to be overly-reductionist, every game is like that.

I do not know how to describe it well, but I would say it feels to "videogame-y" to get immersed in it. It is a great game and I am having fun with it. I would rate it a 10/10, but just judging by the atmosphere, I prefered Alien, which could grab me and be totally immersed in it and the world. The graphic, the tension, the sounddesign. Everything felt right.

I think I would say the same about japanese horror games and the newer Resident Evil titles. While I can get immersed in a Silent Hill 1-4, the newer Resident Evil Games can not let me be immersed in them.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Turf finally jumped the shark?

It was about time tbh

What is a Turf?
castlevania_sotn_conceptart_La8eU.jpg

Turfster

What is frustrating about Witcher 3?

The collision meshes are broken, the jumping is broken, the horse riding is broken, the inventory is a clusterfuck of epic proportions, the fast travel is badly implemented, the quest tracking is limited as fuck, the witcher sense doesn't trigger half the time, the camera and geralt need to both look at something before you can try to use it which is horrible design, putting fucking candles on every fucking thing that you can use and having the game light/douse them instead of using whatever you wanted to use is 'fuck you player we hate you' level idiocy...

and I can go on and on.

Milamber

The collision meshes are broken, the jumping is broken, the horse riding is broken, the inventory is a clusterfuck of epic proportions, the fast travel is badly implemented, the quest tracking is limited as fuck, the witcher sense doesn't trigger half the time, the camera and geralt need to both look at something before you can try to use it which is horrible design, putting fucking candles on every fucking thing that you can use and having the game light/douse them instead of using whatever you wanted to use is 'fuck you player we hate you' level idiocy...

and I can go on and on.

You're not wrong. But they are minor in the face of the rest of the game. Which is awesome.

I do not know how to describe it well, but I would say it feels to "videogame-y" to get immersed in it. It is a great game and I am having fun with it. I would rate it a 10/10, but just judging by the atmosphere, I prefered Alien, which could grab me and be totally immersed in it and the world. The graphic, the tension, the sounddesign. Everything felt right.
First person with minimal HUD, plus the god-tier sound design, I understand. But "do this do that" really is a bad argument, I mean most of the objectives in Alien were turning some knobs.

and I can go on and on.
I disagree with jumping, inventory, fast travel, and quest tracking, no idea what were your problems with them. And I have zero idea what you were talking about with Witcher sense.

Candles got patched, so yeah.

First person with minimal HUD, plus the god-tier sound design, I understand. But "do this do that" really is a bad argument, I mean most of the objectives in Alien were turning some knobs.

To me it just felt that the objectives in Alien had some kind of natural flow to them. Of course in the end its still just a videogame with "Go there, do that."

Turfster

I disagree with jumping, inventory, fast travel, and quest tracking, no idea what were your problems with them. And I have zero idea what you were talking about with Witcher sense.

Candles got patched, so yeah.

Candles got "patched", but not really.
Next you're going to tell me you've never spent 5 fucking minutes walking around in your little "use your witcher senses here" circle because the last of the red things didn't trigger an examine popup for you...

SteamGAF, let's bow our heads and think back to when RPGs were actually awesome instead of broken in every manner possible as Turfster so accurately described.

da2ot-04.gif

Candles got "patched", but not really.
Next you're going to tell me you've never spent 5 fucking minutes walking around in your little "use your witcher senses here" circle because the last of the red things didn't trigger an examine popup for you...
You need to look at them to get the interaction pop up, it's not hard.

Vamphuntr

I enjoyed the Witcher 3 a lot. It's probably one of the better written in a long time and it's really pretty. It has a lot of content and nice sidequests too. I'm not on the game of the forever bandwagon though. I beat it at 60ish hours and was completely fed up with the combat. The battles felt like Assassin's Creed but more broken since your signs could end battles quickly.

The most annoying thing for me outside these? When Geralt doesn't unsheathe his sword for battle or unsheathe the wrong one. You start hitting and you're like oh the game didn't auto unsheathed or used the wrong one, again.

I also got the broken Witcher sense too. You have to unpress then press again the witcher's sense key until the red trails appear.

Jazz573

Haven't played anything on Steam recently, but I thought I'd show you guys a cool (at least what I think is cool), screen of some in-game action from the game I AM playing. It's not a Steam game, and never will be (unless Steam ever changes their stance on 18+ animu games--well that's not the only reason it never will but I'd rather not get into the other reasons), but it's still a good game nonetheless:

cj8Wrfg.png

Btw, taking screens of fast-paced action games is really difficult, but somehow I managed to get a good image.

Since I value my wallet, I'm probably going to be spending most of time playing this, rather than buying too many games that I'll probably never get to anyways. I'll probably still buy a few games, but I don't plan to buy nearly as much as I have in other years.

Milamber

I enjoyed the Witcher 3 a lot. It's probably one of the better written in a long time and it's really pretty. It has a lot of content and nice sidequests too. I'm not on the game of the forever bandwagon though. I beat it at 60ish hours and was completely fed up with the combat. The battles felt like Assassin's Creed but more broken since your signs could end battles quickly.

The most annoying thing for me outside these? When Geralt doesn't unsheathe his sword for battle or unsheathe the wrong one. You start hitting and you're like oh the game didn't auto unsheathed or used the wrong one, again.

I also got the broken Witcher sense too. You have to unpress then press again the witcher's sense key until the red trails appear.

I'm sorry but are you saying you want more hand holding?

Vamphuntr

I'm sorry but are you saying you want more hand holding?

Not at all I want an actual combat system that actually evolve through the game and not 60 hours of repetitive brain dead Ass Creed. If your auto-unsheath doesn't work don't put one up at all it's better to leave control to the player than having it fails often.

This game is basically hand holding everything anyway. Down to where to go on your map every time for every quests. All areas to discover are also marked on your map anyway.

Milamber

Burn them with fire sign and pick up the honey comb they leave behind. That's good eatin' right there!

No, if you use your witcha senses, if they have a hand icon on them, you can burn with igni and loot. If they don't have a hand and just let out an orange aura, burn it with igni, they are unlootable.

ExoSoul

Banned
Properly finished The Swapper, that game cannot get enough praise.

If you like puzzles - get it.
If you like moderately easy platforming - get it.
If you like to think - get it.
If you like to wonder - get it.

Ozium

I wish it was added to the humble nindie bundle instead of bit trip runner 2

Uzzy

Which ending did you prefer?

Edit: I'm an idiot, I was thinking of The Fall. The swapper is great too!

Nabs

Comcast crapped out for 10 minutes and now my download speed has doubled. :eek: Perfect timing for the sale.

Welcome to the fast lane. Are you on the west coast? I heard speeds jumped up to around 180mbps.

Damn right.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of MulderWasTaken, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 36 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Pinball FX2 - Excalibur Table #2 -- MB-11EDB23D3AFFA9D8 - Taken by didamangi. 2 entrants total.
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee -- MB-D128B0AAA0217434 - Taken by BruteUA. 2 entrants total.
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny - For the Gods DLC -- MB-6312396CDDC3FA0A - Taken by rainking187. 1 entrants total.
Coldfire Keep -- MB-5C8FB7AA5BD14436
Mushroom Men: Truffle Trouble -- MB-46A5BEED03820EF6 - Taken by MakeshiftChef. 2 entrants total.
The Journey Down: Chapter One -- MB-63168C0931199039 - Taken by trailmix16. 1 entrants total.
Runaway: A Twist of Fate -- MB-4195BDFF9D961F92 - Taken by texhnolyze. 2 entrants total.
Venetica - Gold Edition -- MB-67BD70F860D03DBD - Taken by fspm. 3 entrants total.
Pier Solar and the Great Architects Plus Soundtrack -- MB-EAE96BBD364B4EC4 - Taken by Vamphuntr. 3 entrants total.
Eidolon -- MB-3F98A1207D47B3EC - Taken by louiedog. 3 entrants total.
About Love, Hate and the other ones -- MB-0828683F88D99AAF - Taken by louiedog. 2 entrants total.
Runaway, The Dream of The Turtle -- MB-08A56AECB1BA0897 - Taken by Majukun. 3 entrants total.
Sacraboar -- MB-161880B30A2E1273 - Taken by Kagemusha. 1 entrants total.
Syberia -- MB-AB7639FAA2A58EA9 - Taken by gurm3n. 1 entrants total.
Blue Rose -- MB-B7FD399236148E06 - Taken by SSPssp. 1 entrants total.
Penguins Arena: Sedna's World -- MB-E287AD4E413B94C2
Risk of Rain -- MB-47C0CD6646F8FBF1 - Taken by cyborg009. 5 entrants total.
The Journey Down: Chapter Two -- MB-610CF28428302AEE - Taken by someguyinahat. 5 entrants total.
The Last Tinker: City of Colors -- MB-146982C8548B242B - Taken by redlacs. 3 entrants total.
Into the Dark: Ultimate Trash Edition -- MB-B18A229ADF61C027 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
Pinball FX2 - Mars Table #2 -- MB-275C7C6AF3E86B31 - Taken by Kurt Russell. 4 entrants total.
Ensign-1 -- MB-E36FB7C305CF0E0A
Song of the Myrne: What Lies Beneath -- MB-3911EBEF4283A247 - Taken by Tesseract. 2 entrants total.
Snuggle Truck -- MB-C7F5360BB3FFEF3D - Taken by TheMadMan007. 3 entrants total.
The Novelist -- MB-95D8E43F94DCFEE7 - Taken by KainXVIII. 2 entrants total.
Supreme Commander 2 -- MB-ED6C50F95872033E
SolForge Dinosaur Starter (Early Access) -- MB-96E7A044B8534B8D - Taken by crimsonheadGCN. 2 entrants total.
World War I - Centennial Edition -- MB-C12F1F81DB66EDF3
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light -- MB-82B9DC294F40C128 - Taken by Sch1sm. 3 entrants total.
Stacking -- MB-79C7A41348C2E3AF - Taken by titch. 1 entrants total.
War, the Game -- MB-B3BC3FC7684AA63F - Taken by Saty. 1 entrants total.
Runaway, A Road Adventure -- MB-5FF3A7F305874AA5 - Taken by Darkroronoa. 1 entrants total.
Startopia -- MB-896461B7754FA2D4 - Taken by Kuroyume. 1 entrants total.
Z.A.R. -- MB-77FA538E459C103E
Gunship! -- MB-3F9883527087C432 - Taken by titch. 1 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Pinball FX2 - Excalibur Table #2 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Error: The key you tried to add for RADical ROACH failed because it was already in ModBot from another user. If you wish to re-gift a key, please read the help thread under 'I accidentally took a key I didn't want' and follow those instructions before re-adding.
Note: The key you added for Risk of Rain was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Pinball FX2 - Mars Table #2 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for World War I - Centennial Edition was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1434005384z1.png

DocSeuss

I have been playing it.
It's incredibly pretty and well written an acted, but jesus...
It's the most infuriating, broken game that overreached catastrophically.

Alien:Isolation is tense and scary.
Witcher 3 is frustrating and annoying.

Yep, Witcher 3 is "Nested fetch-quests, the game"
Don't get me started on the ridiculously broken "gotta work with a controller so we can just shit out whatever" interface

Weird, I'd say Isolation is frustrating and annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom