• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Came for LEGO, stayed for Haze. Should've ported that to PC, everyone would've bought it for 95% off á la Bad Rats and rescued THQ.

Haze was ubisoft though?
Haze_boxart.jpg

Copons

After reading Milamber OCing and getting 55-60 in TW3, I tried to manually overclock my GPU (Asus GTX 780 DirectCU II OC) following a random post I found googling.

I got an awesome 55-60 when I usually get 30-35, but after 5 minutes or so the game just quit. Not crash, simply quit. It actually saved just before quitting, so it was kinda convenient too, but I got a super scare and instant-reverted to default settings.

Then I noticed that Asus GPU Tweak has a gaming profile with values slightly higher than factory OC (and way lower than what I tried) and now I run it at a fair 40 on average, but with huge improvements when the camera is near Geralt's hair. Cool I guess.

derExperte

Haze was ubisoft though?

Yes, the first comment mentioned the completely unrelated THQ and it's late here. But Haze together with the canceled Battlefront 3 basically ended the dev studio's independent existence, they had different publishers before and then got bought by Crytek after slimming down. Quite a sad story until you actually play Haze and realize they brought it on themselves, one of the bigger WTFs of the last 10 years on the same level as Lair. PS3 had some weird exclusives early on.

Salsa

After reading Milamber OCing and getting 55-60 in TW3, I tried to manually overclock my GPU (Asus GTX 780 DirectCU II OC) following a random post I found googling.

I got an awesome 55-60 when I usually get 30-35, but after 5 minutes or so the game just quit. Not crash, simply quit. It actually saved just before quitting, so it was kinda convenient too, but I got a super scare and instant-reverted to default settings.

Then I noticed that Asus GPU Tweak has a gaming profile with values slightly higher than factory OC (and way lower than what I tried) and now I run it at a fair 40 on average, but with huge improvements when the camera is near Geralt's hair. Cool I guess.

just get a benchmark tool and go slow

if you can run something like 3dmark indefinetily (just try like more than 30 minutes to reach peak) without BSODing you're fine

my 680 is currently OCed to the point where even if I turn up the clocks just a bit higher it crashes on 3Dmark pretty fast. been this way for years with no issues

Copons

just get a benchmark tool and go slow

if you can run something like 3dmark indefinetily (just try like more than 30 minutes to reach peak) without BSODing you're fine

my 680 is currently OCed to the point where even if I turn up the clocks just a bit higher it crashes on 3Dmark pretty fast. been this way for years with no issues

It's just that I'm super wary of OCing as my career is out of warranty and right now I couldn't even afford a 3DFX in case I fry this one.
I'll try something deeper when/if my pockets will be fine again...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
16,66€

how cute...fuck off Hatred devs, you arent nearly as smart as you think you are

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of pahamrick, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys and 2 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (pahamrick, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PGP3OVL.png
The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings (GOG) -- MB-55BA3229D017E969 - Taken by Blu(e). 2 entrants total.
PGP3OVL.png
The Witcher (GOG) -- MB-D8FB2CB590E60C6C - Taken by hohoXD123. 2 entrants total.
Company of Heroes Complete Edition -- MB-928F738D2518D75B - Taken by gurm3n. 6 entrants total.
Warhammer 40K Dawn of War GOTY -- MB-68926BD1104AB6EA - Taken by TheMadMan007. 3 entrants total.
Warhammer 40K Dawn of War II -- MB-92373882D9C3740D - Taken by gurm3n. 7 entrants total.

t1433202135z1.png

Salsa

fuck that tomb raider trailer so much

it's like I can feel the whole writing team patting themselves on the back about how SERIOUS and up their own butt they are with it whilst making a sequel to the most abhorrently written game of the gen

THE BOLDEST HAVE DARED TO GO FORWARD

ITS THE ONLY WAY TO LIVE

DISCOVER THE LEGEND WITHIN

stop

rtcn63

it's like I can feel the whole writing team patting themselves on the back about how SERIOUS and up their own butt they are with it whilst making a sequel to the most abhorrently written game of the gen

ITS THE ONLY WAY TO LIVE

stop

I'm like 99% sure this was one of Max's soliloquys in Max Payne 3. I think it was right after he saw the guy next him to get his dick shot off.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
yeah, me too

i wrote a late recommendation for massive chalice but jshackles not putting it up ;_;

Sorry about that I've been swamped at work the last few days. I'll try to get this included in the OP soon.

I'm probably just going to put something together over the next couple of days and just post it in the thread. I mean it's not like anyone reads the OP after the first 20 posts in the thread anyways.

Same with yours - feel free to PM me and I'll get the OP updated. Feel free to also post it in the thread.

Vibranium

Banned

ITS THE ONLY WAY TO LIVE

stop

Isn't Terry Prachett's daughter one of the head writers? With her dad passing away and all I wonder if there will be a writing team change after RotTR.

Anyways, I'll pick up the GOTY edition without worrying about the story like last time.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Black Soma, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae -- MB-64C9724590E38E5C - Taken by Sarcasm. 2 entrants total.

t1433203156z1.png
Enjoy.

PFFt.

All that matters is NUMBER 1!

DeOChy6.png
And here I am sitting in the black forrest, not able to view its storepage to see who of my friends owns it or wants it.

ex-nazi-induced-restrictions-sadface
A new challenger appears!

Coinplay Ready for Summer Bundle
TIER 1: 3$
  • Call of Cthulhu The Wasted Land
  • Bionic Dues
  • Cube & Star
  • But to Paint a Universe
  • The Few
TIER 2: 4$
  • Words for Evil
  • The Tiny Tale 2
  • Hamlet
TIER 3: 5$
  • Viktor
  • Chess 2
The more, the merrier but this is a bad, bad first impression.
just in case you were still hesitating ....
you're welcome :)
Looks like a fun, mindless time. Not much to think, just play and stop.
He doesn't believe me, but I think he might actually beat me to 3k.
Huh.
Lkkcq2v.png

H0hcHOt.png

Airt0bT.png

:O
it's the lego game we've always wanted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaQNzLngMKM
Wow they have over 2 million subscribers. Pretty big gaming channel.
I don't understand. They don't do anything bad now are they?

Teeth

Hatred is probably the biggest case of Streisand Effect I've seen in a while.

Without the controversy and the HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED-ness of the whole thing, it probably would have sold two thousand copies on Steam and never even made it to the "notable releases" tab.

Quick, somebody say something truly controversial about Cuphead, I want to be able to eat when it gets released.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Guys. GUYS.

Lego World is the real deal.

It looks so good. I love Minecraft and used to play it a lot, so it seems like something I would like. That and the Lego nostalgia bumps this to near the top of my wishlist. I would totally bite if it was on sale for $10.

It probably doesn't run like a piece of shit like Minecraft does, too.

Teggy

Judging by the comments I've read in the Hatred forums in the past, it's going to have some really awful mods created for it.

Anyway, I was able to get by my Witcher 2 crash by
1. Downloading the game on my MacBook Pro
2. Playing just past the cutscene
3. Picking the game back up on my PC

PC gaming yay :p

Does anyone know what effect makes characters look like this? It looks terrible, like you are looking at things through a screen door at times:

geralt.png~original

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Judging by the comments I've read in the Hatred forums in the past, it's going to have some really awful mods created for it.

Anyway, I was able to get by my Witcher 2 crash by
1. Downloading the game on my MacBook Pro
2. Playing just past the cutscene
3. Picking the game back up on my PC

PC gaming yay :p

Does anyone know what effect makes characters look like this? It looks terrible, like you are looking at things through a screen door at times:

geralt.png~original

Looks like a mixture of the Texture Sharpening feature and an artifact with the shadow system - dithering. Unfortunately, not much can be done about the shadows except for downsampling from an obscene resolution, which only clears up the finer shadows. Hope you have a supercomputer rig!

Teeth

geralt.png~original

The a less GPU-taxing way of doing soft shadowing. It also has the side effect of reducing the jagged edges that come with harsh angle shadows. The dots are supposed to mosaic a bit each frame to create a temporal blending, but depending on the resolution and framerate of the screen/game, it can have a really bad screen-door effect and even at optimal quality, always looks a bit strange.

The effect is exacerbated by sharpening filters (creating high frequency shimmering) but it allows for a lot of shadow gradations and no blocky mosaics on edges, while being very light on GPU load.

It's similar in nature to the alpha-to-coverage effect that FF13 uses on their hair, since multiple overlapping high resolution transparency maps are hellacious on GPUs.

You want to get rid of it? Try downsampling from a much higher-res. As you can see by the quoted image, once the image is shrunken, the pixels blend into a pretty nice smooth, detailed shadow map.

Teggy

The a less GPU-taxing way of doing soft shadowing. It also has the side effect of reducing the jagged edges that come with harsh angle shadows. The dots are supposed to mosaic a bit each frame to create a temporal blending, but depending on the resolution and framerate of the screen/game, it can have a really bad screen-door effect and even at optimal quality, always looks a bit strange.

The effect is exacerbated by sharpening filters (creating high frequency shimmering) but it allows for a lot of shadow gradations and no blocky mosaics on edges, while being very light on GPU load.

It's similar in nature to the alpha-to-coverage effect that FF13 uses on their hair, since multiple overlapping high resolution transparency maps are hellacious on GPUs.

You want to get rid of it? Try downsampling from a much higher-res. As you can see by the quoted image, once the image is shrunken, the pixels blend into a pretty nice smooth, detailed shadow map.

Looks like a mixture of the Texture Sharpening feature and an artifact with the shadow system - dithering. Unfortunately, not much can be done about the shadows except for downsampling from an obscene resolution, which only clears up the finer shadows. Hope you have a supercomputer rig!

Thanks - is this just the way it looks on most people's machines?

Some spares:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Final Dusk -- MB-10C67E128804494D - Taken by GaussTek
Storm United -- MB-64E091FC52FEAF47 - Taken by rainking187
Thief Town -- MB-558C4ACBDAA8AD15 - Taken by darkchewie
Retro/Grade -- MB-3BD3451B5FCE012C

Not really Steam related, but today I read an awful piece of news :(

Looks like The Rock is set to star in a Big Trouble in Little China remake.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/dwayne-johnson-big-trouble-in-little-china-remake-cast-1201509737/

Why would anyone want to remake such an amazing movie?

I was very pleased to find out, that after overlooking the item location that allows you to gather beastiary data in Ys II, that when I got and used the item, the game recalled how many enemy of each type I'd already slain and filled in the book accordingly.

Nice touch, so glad I don't have to grind a bunch of the enemies again for their data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom