• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eila

sE4wHJs.png

fuckin wut

that's literally $64 usd

nuuvem you're drunk

Doubt it's up to Nuveem.
7QUu0n9.png

There are some shitty publishers who decide to push retail prices on digital stores. I know Capcom does it, too.

yeah but it's a single player game. That doesn't really matter for that game, there's like 0 people playing the crappy online MP for that game.

but hey, the less games with GFWL the better

Sorta -- there's an online speed/score run portion that had potential.
I'd love for GFWL to be removed so that I could (1) play it again for steam achievements, (2) not have to deal with circumventing GFWL if the service goes 100% kaput as originally forecasted and (3) actually give the online portion a try.

Do you like bundle games? Sure, we all do! And when you modbot raffle some and I happen to pick them up, you get impressions!
That nobody reads.
So with that, some impressions for 1954 Alcatraz:

The story: It's 1954 (duh) and it takes place both in North Beach California and Alcatraz. You play, alternately, Joe and Catherine, an interracial couple (it was legal by that point, I checked) consisting of an armed robber and a beat poet (which may or may not be different from a beatnik. I'm not too sure.) Joe wants to break out and reunite with Catherine. Catherine has to find the loot Joe stole from the armored truck he robbed and make everything ready for a fresh start together.

The story is well put together, despite a few anachronisms, and there are options here and there that allow you to set up different endings. This is not one of those games where you should just choose every dialogue option that pops up: certain choices can affect the ending, so you can influence what happens by opening your mouth or keeping it shut. (This is also the problem with achievements: you might feel compelled to see all the endings and/or get all the achievements, so you end up doing things you wouldn't normally want your character to do to make that easier on yourself.) But I can't fault the game itself for that. Suffice to say, the story and the multiple endings are good. I'll also point out that unlike most Daedalic games, where the characters are unrepentant jerks, in this one they still do some immoral and jerky things but they (may or may not) go through arcs and in the end (may or may not) try to pick up the pieces and be better people.

The graphics: Most Daedalic games are known for beautiful hand-drawn backgrounds. The first thing that will strike you about this game is that it looks closer to a Telltale game. Only, you know, it has gameplay elements. So it's more like an earlier Telltale game. I don't mind the Telltale look. Some items you need blend well into the background, but luckily this game gives you the good ol' hotspot checker.

Loading screens can get crazy, to the point that you might wonder if it crashed. Also, after I changed the graphical option I actually did get a black screen where I could choose options. But after I restarted, everything was more or less smooth sailing.

The dialogue and voices: The German translation is good. The words "hip," "squares," "dullsville," and such sneak their way in as if to say "Get it? It's the 50s!" and the voice actors don't do much to convey that they'd say that sort of thing naturally. But that's probably the only quibble I've got with it.

The puzzles: No missables? More than one solution to certain puzzles? The option to give your wedding ring to a transgender inmate in exchange for a blowjob? You get a gold star! ...Okay, only being slightly facetious. It's mostly bullshit-free. Some puzzles require you to switch between characters, but I think that's par for the course in multi-protagonist adventures. When the biggest piece of bullshit is having to quit a dialog box without saying anything in order to search a room, you've done okay, developers.

The music and audio: Really well done. The map screen music sting is evocative of GTA IV with its deep violins, the lounge singing at the club fits the game's setting and theme, and the rest do a good job at setting the tone. I was impressed, and I don't normally notice the music too much.

The length: It took me 6 hours, including replaying the last scene three times for different endings and having to sit through the unskippable credits each time. It's a decent length, but shorter than most Daedalic games.

The verdict: In the scope of Daedalic games, it's not as good as Night of the Rabbit, but it's better than Deponia and maybe even better than the Whispered World. In other words, it's good. If it was a bit longer, I might venture to call it great. Check it out.

Sorta -- there's an online speed/score run portion that had potential.
I'd love for GFWL to be removed so that I could (1) play it again for steam achievements, (2) not have to deal with circumventing GFWL if the service goes 100% kaput as originally forecasted and (3) actually give the online portion a try.

fair enough. I played it last year for the first time and loved it outside of its 720p heavily compressed 30 fps video cutscenes. It deserves more love, it's the closest thing to Vanquish that exists on PC.

also, almost bit on MN9 thru nuuvem but isn't deep silver one of those publishers that does some real nasty stuff with region locking games on that site? Plus, i get the feeling it'll drop to $5 not too long after release.

Kagemusha

Groupees BM20 is never happening

"Host still having connectivity issues. Once problems are fixed, we'll set release for +1hr. Will update status when host updates us."

Sounds like they lost a gun battle with Rockstar over Bully. Now they have to find a few thousand keys to replace the bully game. The bundle will probably be a Pony Bundle.

Eila

eh that can't be right

I mean yeah they sometimes fuck brazil kinda or go nuts on countries when they can be cheaper for people outside of it but there's no way they're charging that for Brazil on release, effectively alienating an entire country worth of sales

for comparison The Witcher 3 on brazilian steam is 99 reais now, that's less than half, and it was cheaper before

maybe they're doing this only this early on purpose to keep sneaky out of region buyers away

yeah

I just expect it to go down to at least half once a release date is announced

cause otherwise.. wat

There's a good reason piracy is so rampant. Retail prices for videogames are ridiculous, and then to not get in trouble with the retail stores (or because they can) they put the same prices on the digital stores. It's the same with consoles.
Thankfully, a lot of devs on steam are noticing this is bullshit and have much better prices.

Dr Dogg

Well finally getting round to LiS Episode 2 (yeah 2 so no Episode 3 spoilerz ya buggers!). I don't know if Max has accidentally given out her mobile number when signing up to something but she gets more nuscience and spam texts than I do. Also on the way to go to Two Whales diner I don't know if this intentional but I totally walked right past Warren and didn't even notice him. Forever friendzoned.

Hektor

Well finally getting round to LiS Episode 2 (yeah 2 so no Episode 3 spoilerz ya buggers!). I don't know if Max has accidentally given out her mobile number when signing up to something but she gets more nuscience and spam texts than I do. Also on the way to go to Two Whales diner I don't know if this intentional but I totally walked right past Warren and didn't even notice him. Forever friendzoned.

HFD50Jo.png

The best way to not get Ep. 3 spoiled is to play it. Right now. Imho far better than the second one.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Do you like bundle games? Sure, we all do! And when you modbot raffle some and I happen to pick them up, you get impressions!
That nobody reads.

I read it, but I don't have anything to say about it because I haven't played it.

This applies to many of the games you post about :p

doing gods work

I read it, but I don't have anything to say about it because I haven't played it.

This applies to many of the games you post about :p

Impressions of a game are best read by people who haven't played them. Helps them decide whether to pick up a title (or in the case of bundle games, whether their +1 is worth opening up and actually using.)

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
IGN Game of the Month

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

skulls of the shogun -- MB-2368453E3A514141 - Taken by Hero Prinny

did the new patch for Witcher 3 only increase font size size for ps4 or is it also pc? and if its pc where is the option to make it bigger?

Asgaro

█████████████████████████████████████████████
█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
█░░███████░░░██░░░███░░░░░█░░█░░████░░█░░█░░█
█░░░░░█░░░░░█░░█░░█░░█░░░░█░█░░░█░░░░░█░█░░░█
█░░░░░█░░░░░█░░█░░███░░░░░██░░░░███░░░██░░░░█
█░░░░░█░░░░░█░░█░░█░░░░░░░█░█░░░█░░░░░█░█░░░█
█░░░░░█░░░░░░██░░░█░░░░░░░█░░█░░████░░█░░█░░█
█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
█████████████████████████████████████████████

derExperte

yeah but it's a single player game. That doesn't really matter for that game, there's like 0 people playing the crappy online MP for that game.

Bulletstorm won't work at all after GFWL is gone, no offline profile support. Only way will be a crack.

MUnited83

For you.

It does matter. You can't play the game at all without a online profile. And if you can't sign in...well....

Deadpool looks like it's intentionally trying to be a mediocre licensed game o_O
Groupees BM20 is never happening
Yeah, says "starts soon". Guess 00:00 CET ?
That nobody reads.
So with that, some impressions for 1954 Alcatraz: [...]

The dialogue and voices: The German translation is good. [...]

The verdict: In the scope of Daedalic games, it's not as good as Night of the Rabbit, but it's better than Deponia and maybe even better than the Whispered World. In other words, it's good. If it was a bit longer, I might venture to call it great. Check it out.
Good read (I actually read it ;)). Wondering why you play it in German though. Doesn't it get a bit too complicated especially since it is an adventure game?
Dark Souls 3 Rumored leaked screenshots.

Info to wonder about.

- PC release is "negotiable."

What does that even mean.
What. This looks so much like Bloodborne!

didn't beat bloodborne yet but i think its safe to say I'm almost done, none of those areas are from bloodborne for what its worth. real or fake, we all know there will be a 3rd one, and I'm in that.
The first two and the last remind me a lot of BB. Haven't played it and I am sure they won't copy-paste.

ooh so witcher 3 update came out on ps4 today as well? so either sony sped up the processes for the patch thing or they were intentionally holding back the pc patch. i want to believe sony allowed them to skip some hoops because i want to give them the benefit of the doubt because the latter is really fucking dumb no matter what way they try to spin it.
The first two and the last remind me a lot of BB. Haven't played it and I am sure they won't copy-paste.

not seeing it in the 2nd and last but yea, first one does look very much like bloodborne once you reach a certain point in the game.

fantomena

Don't care what plattform it will release on, I need it.

If it's console only I'll get the superior version. If it's PC and console I'll get the PC version.

ooh so witcher 3 update came out on ps4 today as well? so either sony sped up the processes for the patch thing or they were intentionally holding back the pc patch. i want to believe sony allowed them to skip some hoops because i want to give them the benefit of the doubt because the latter is really fucking dumb no matter what way they try to spin it.

PS4 got 1.04, PC got 1.05. Console certification will never be as quick as developer-controlled patching.

Kifimbo

Take 'em.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Dreaming Sarah -- MB-23E42B2ED368CB5A - Taken by electroflame
Vanguard Princess -- MB-B3867E6ECB75F7EE - Taken by Cyldman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom