• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Banned
I'd like to send all of you complaining that Xbox exclusives are coming to PC in a format you don't like back 15 years to when they didn't come out at all and just make you stay there. More games is always better. You guys are starting to sound worse than console fanboy nitwits.

Soooooo... How's that Viva Pinata PC version doing? Played that recently?

I think most of us would appreciate games we know we'll be able to play in 5 years time and that aren't tied to a system that makes Steam of 5 years ago look good. :)

Which is to say, speaking personally, I can do without "exclusives" if they're using UWP. *shrugs*

Tenrius

Original Sin is super tedious towards the end. The combat takes literally forever and the game is like 80% combat. Granted, the mechanics are really good, but I feel that enemies tend to have too much HP. It's not challenging at this point, just takes a very long time. 30-60 minutes per encounter in the Phantom Forest is NOT healthy (especially the place is litereally littered with enemy parties).

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Ooh I won that best ever platformer, but I'm out for the evening and can't check what it is. The anticipation is killing me!

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I'd like to send all of you complaining that Xbox exclusives are coming to PC in a format you don't like back 15 years to when they didn't come out at all and just make you stay there. More games is always better. You guys are starting to sound worse than console fanboy nitwits.

Eh. Alternatively, I'll just play something else. Compared to 15 years ago there's a lot more options. A lot better options, which is really the bone of contention here.

Lomax

Soooooo... How's that Viva Pinata PC version doing? Played that recently?

I think most of us would appreciate games we know we'll be able to play in 5 years time and that aren't tied to a system that makes Steam of 5 years ago look good. :)

So you'd rather have no release, than a release that might be dead in a few years?

Would I prefer games were on Steam? Sure, of course I would. Do I want all PC games to be moddable and scale and all those other wonderful things? Of course I do. Is a game that does none of those things better than no game at all? YES.

Eh. Alternatively, I'll just play something else. Compared to 15 years ago there's a lot more options. A lot better options, which is really the bone of contention here.

Which is fine. Play what you want, for the reasons you want. But you make exactly my point. People are pretty damn spoiled to be complaining about the method of porting what would be otherwise exclusive games when 15 years ago we were damn lucky to even get a PC version of non-exclusive games. If UWP was bringing us Nintendo games you can bet people here wouldn't be acting nearly so high and mighty.

I ran a mage in Divinity OS and it was smashing everything by the end. My other character was basically a mascot.

I really want an official coop Skyrim mode.

Pixieking

Banned
So you'd rather have no release, than a release that might be dead in a few years?

Would I prefer games were on Steam? Sure, of course I would. Do I want all PC games to be moddable and scale and all those other wonderful things? Of course I do. Is a game that does none of those things better than no game at all? YES.

Yeah, but it's available on the XBox, is the thing. It's not an argument of "game vs no game", it's an argument of "game just on console (which I currently don't have, btw) vs game on a console and PC, using a system that is just outright bad". Would I like it on PC, sure. Would I buy it on Winstore knowing it validates MS's strategy for forcing exclusives on its inferior UWP system? No.

Fair enough if you don't feel the same way, but it's a bit disingenuous to say this is "better" than the alternative. As consumers, we are often told to use our buying power to change the system (not just in gaming), so that's what I'll be doing. :)

And I'd feel the same way if Bloodborne (currently the only game I'll be buying a PS4 for) came out on UWP. :'(

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think in a matter of 3 minutes I could add every Steam game to my cart using AJAX requests and scripting.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's what I was thinking. Or just buy my entire wishlist at least.

Step 1: Install Enhanced Steam
Step 2: Click "Buy Wishlist"
Step 3: Drop the mic, walk off set

Lomax

Yeah, but it's available on the XBox, is the thing. It's not an argument of "game vs no game", it's an argument of "game just on console (which I currently don't have, btw) vs game on a console and PC, using a system that is just outright bad". Would I like it on PC, sure. Would I buy it on Winstore knowing it validates MS's strategy for forcing exclusives on its inferior UWP system? No.

Fair enough if you don't feel the same way, but it's a bit disingenuous to say this is "better" than the alternative. As consumers, we are often told to use our buying power to change the system (not just in gaming), so that's what I'm doing. :)

If UWP makes ports better, faster, and easier then it isn't an inferior system. Whether that is the case remains to be seen. I'm not saying Microsoft deserves the benefit of the doubt, because they don't. And that should factor into your purchases, certainly in terms of how much you spend. For example, I probably would have bought Killer Instinct day one on Steam, as it is I'm waiting for a sale. But for exclusive PC gamers, if a game exists on every console in the world and not PC, it doesn't exist. So yes, it is game vs no game. That's no different than saying "you could buy a Playstation if you wanted Uncharted" to an Xbox owner.

Edit: to be clear, I'm not saying anyone should run out and buy a bunch of stuff regardless. Vote with your wallet, absolutely. I don't buy uPlay or Origin games either for the most part. But people are legitimately saying these PC versions shouldn't exist at all and that point of view is just abhorrent.

jshackles

She didn't have access to her personal account, so no wishlist. Also how many of us really have up-to-date wish lists?

Ah okay I missed that part... Also I'm mostly just joking around, I'm pretty sure if she would have opened the javascript console and started recursing through the storefront APIs that would have looked a bit suspicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom