• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
anyone have a short recap of the conferences today?

i missed pretty much everything except for carmack and the lis dev game looking clunky lol

Didn't he retired after selling mojang?

Whatever the case he's not worth paying attention to. He's the living fedora meme.
idk, just feels like he's the kind of person that like totalbiscuit should just stay out of social media

Hopefully when his game crashes and burns, CliffyB will drop the 90's edgy boy attitude.
why? edgy 90s attitude is like actually really fun for everyone

Pretty much, every time they just basically find and replace the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms license with Gundam/Zelda/One Piece/Hokuto no Ken/Berserk etc.

Port quality aside it's still going to be a Musou game, so you'll run around a big field slashing at hordes of braindead enemies with mediocre combat, and I doubt even the Berserk license can carry that.
most definitely. i don't even think i want a berserk game, the action in that series is fun/interesting but it's not what draws me to it, and i don't think a game that captures its subtlety would be easy to make

you know, out of all games the one that reminds me of berserk the most is nier

Yeah, the last thing any of us wants is a repeat of New Vegas. ; )

Sorry, zky, I had to.
meh new vegas was boring

come at me zkylon
uhh i don't care what other ppl think about my favorite games so i can't be baited like this

doesn't mean i don't get to call you two dumbos

New Vegas > SM64
now why would you even make this comparison

both are excellent games

Is this Donte?

Also zkylon alert
?

Granjinha

YO GUYS

SEA OF THIEVES LOOKS FUCKING AMAZING

Seriously, surprise of the show for me, gonna buy that thing so hard <3

(i don't really care about UWP so don't waste your breath with UWP shenanigans)

Annubis

idk, just feels like he's the kind of person that like totalbiscuit should just stay out of social media

Maybe everyone should stay out of social medias.

Well except that Kaz Hirai CEO twitter...
And Iashman...
And Obama...

That's about it really.

Ozium

as someone who:

A) kinda stopped caring about his steam library once he broke 3k games (which I think is the magic number many of us went "wtf am I doing with my life?"

B) played Dragon Age Inquisition on another client for example at a press of a simple button just like does with any steam game

C) has been playing another non steam game on another client also at a press of a single button

im kinda over it. And if I was getting games day 1 these days, I would totally buy into the whole W10 store thing tbh. Fuck it. Same games day and date? Sure. My issue right now is I dont see them doing the sales Steam does, and thats the only way I would play those games. But I'm pretty much over my old, stubborn "steam or nothing" mentality tbh

except the games on Origin, Uplay and Battle.net are functionally identical to the Steam or DRM free versions. Saying people don't like UWP because "hurr durr it's not on STEAM" is missing the point entirely

Phantom Dust is the end of it. I have no principles. I will be buying a UWP game and enjoying it.

don't go broke buying the inevitable card packs to get sweet new abilities and other items

rtcn63

I'd buy UWP games if Win10 wasn't required. But seeing as how MS have been very... aggressive in getting people to upgrade, I don't see them changing things.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
except the games on Origin, Uplay and Battle.net are functionally identical to the Steam or DRM free versions. Saying people don't like UWP because "hurr durr it's not on STEAM" is missing the point entirely

no, I was saying that is why I didnt like UWP. Im pretty sure I used "I" and "me/mine" several times in that post aswell.

Wait, did they show more Vampyr somewhere?

Anyways, Gwent is my official Game of the Show so far.
YO GUYS

SEA OF THIEVES LOOKS FUCKING AMAZING

Seriously, surprise of the show for me, gonna buy that thing so hard <3

(i don't really care about UWP so don't waste your breath with UWP shenanigans)

I thought it looked terrible. Wasn't expecting another first person survival game from it, but more of an RPG thing.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Was Sea of Thieves even really shown aside from that short gameplay trailer? Judging by people's reactions I've seen I assume so since the trailer looked exactly like the first trailer of the game/didn't reveal anything new?

yuraya

Sony's presser will be fine as long as Kojipro's or FROM's new game make an appearance. If neither show up it will be bad. Will be worst E3 ever.

Lomax

I'm really starting to hate you bastards for making me sound like a Microsoft apologist. I was bitching about Microsoft when half of you were in diapers.

That's a weird perspective. I want to play games, not just console ports.

Like, imagine if Microsoft went the other direction and forced Xbox players to sit 20 inches from a monitor in a computer chair to play RTS games. I doubt we'd be calling it the cost of getting PC ports on a console.

It's the endless cycle though.

"Oh we want console ports"
"Here's one functionally identical to the console version"
"No, we want console ports that are just like they were developed for the PC"

We're talking about a few otherwise Xbox exclusive games. People here talk like every single game that comes out from now on will suddenly be UWP and not on Steam.

The irony is, to play Killer Instinct, I press my Killer Instinct short cut, and the game runs. No client, no nothing. It "feels" less intrusive than those clients. I'm not dismissing the restrictions of the platform, but insofar as just playing the game goes, it's arguably not as bad. Especially compared to some of the more intrusive versions of uPlay.

Tellaerin

Pretty much, every time they just basically find and replace the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms license with Gundam/Zelda/One Piece/Hokuto no Ken/Berserk etc.

Port quality aside it's still going to be a Musou game, so you'll run around a big field slashing at hordes of braindead enemies with mediocre combat, and I doubt even the Berserk license can carry that.

It's funny. When games have the player doing what you're describing in 2D, with much smaller movesets and no real strategic depth to speak of, they're labeled classic brawlers.

Make the gameplay fully 3D, add bigger movesets, more playable characters, character progression, and a strategic layer that forces you to react to events unfolding throughout the battlefield, and suddenly words like "repetitive", "mediocre" and worse start getting thrown around. What gives?

The Musou games are an evolution of the side-scrolling beat-'em-up. They're not trying to be highly technical, "stylish action" games. If you judge them against that yardstick, of course you're going to be disappointed. But they're more than worthy successors to the brawlers of old. I think they get an unfairly bad rap, tbh.

Corpekata

Banned
Hope Crash gets announced so I can stop hearing about it. The games were solid but hardly the "Why isn't this getting made" classics people pretend they are.

Parsnip

Abzu reminds me of Aquaria.

Except, you know, the parts that doesn't.

edit: Oh wait, I'm mixing it up with some other underwater game.

Lomax

It's funny. When games have the player doing what you're describing in 2D, with much smaller movesets and no real strategic depth to speak of, they're labeled classic brawlers.

Make the gameplay fully 3D, add bigger movesets, more playable characters, character progression, and a strategic layer that forces you to react to events unfolding throughout the battlefield, and suddenly words like "repetitive", "mediocre" and worse start getting thrown around. What gives?

The Musou games are an evolution of the side-scrolling beat-'em-up. They're not trying to be highly technical, "stylish action" games. If you judge them against that yardstick, of course you're going to be disappointed. But they're more than worthy successors to the brawlers of old. I think they get an unfairly bad rap, tbh.

It's a valid point, but "classic brawlers" got done to death too, and were frequently chastised for being unoriginal pallet swaps. It basically died out as a genre for a reason. And my biggest complaint about even modern versions of those brawlers was exactly that they are repetitive and mediocre (I made it like half way through Castle Crashers before I got bored with it). So plenty of people make the same complaints about that genre too. Personally I try not to use the word repetitive as a disparagement, because it depends highly on the individual game. All games are repetitive to a degree. "Tedious" is the word I use more often.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm really starting to hate you bastards for making me sound like a Microsoft apologist. I was bitching about Microsoft when half of you were in diapers.

It's the endless cycle though.

"Oh we want console ports"
"Here's one functionally identical to the console version"
"No, we want console ports that are just like they were developed for the PC"

We're talking about a few otherwise Xbox exclusive games. People here talk like every single game that comes out from now on will suddenly be UWP and not on Steam.

For this to make even a semblance of sense, you'd have to believe Microsoft has no greater ambition for UWP than its own games.

This is GFWL2. They will buy exclusivity. They will push as far as possible to gain as much control as possible.

Sony E3 conference is now live. Maybe there will be some PC ports of PS exclusives???

giphy.gif

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of wetflame, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
None of the keys you submitted were able to be processed
By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Error: The key you tried to add for Definitely the greatest platformer since Super Mario 64 failed because it was already in ModBot from another user. If you wish to re-gift a key, please read the help thread under 'I accidentally took a key I didn't want' and follow those instructions before re-adding.

t1465870978z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of wetflame, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (wetflame, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Definitely the greatest platformer since Super Mario 64 -- MB-B7FA1C67E358053F - Taken by someguyinahat. 10 entrants total.

t1465871116z1.png

Lomax

For this to make even a semblance of sense, you'd have to believe Microsoft has no greater ambition for UWP than its own games.

This is GFWL2. They will buy exclusivity. They will push as far as possible to gain as much control as possible.

And nothing will stand in their way other than forum paranoia!

Look, I'm not saying that people shouldn't complain about the shortcomings of the platform. Of course they should. But why on earth anyone, especially people in this thread, would think Microsoft could suddenly come to dominate PC gaming, no matter how much money they throw at it, is insane. The only way that will happen is if it's actually superior. Which is honestly more likely than the doomsday scenario everyone so morbidly afraid of UWP keeps presenting.

Quite frankly, Valve needs some decent competition. We all know it. The client is shit, their customer service is still shit, and the store is rapidly filling up with shit. I doubt as much as anyone that Microsoft can present a viable alternative, but if it motivates Valve even slightly to step things up, it will be worthwhile.

rtcn63

It does look like something I want to play, but I'm just burned out on open-world games. As long as it provides a challenge and the combat is decent, I'll be interested. Really hope you can assign weapons to the d-pad, I hate hate hate weapon wheels.

mp1990

Banned
I must say, I got caught off guard with that Resident Evil 7 trailer. Hopefully it'll be avaiable on Steam as well.

Also. Horizon ZD looks better by the day. As someone who isn't fond of open world games, this one looks HOT. Hopefully the writing will be just as spot on as the mechanics are.

MUnited83

For you.
Told you Jaw, Capcom can't fucking do a AAA game without having someone else paying for it. I called Re7 being a PS4 exclusive several months ago lol

MUnited83

For you.
It seems to be a evolution from their Kitchen VR demo, which people loved and thought was really scary, so i'm catiously optimistic.

rtcn63

Hey if 6 can be a piece of shit and a numbered entry, then so can this new one.

I think the fear is that third-person action RE is dead. I know not everyone was fond of the direction, but personally I'd rather have all three exist simultaneously (first-person, third-person action, third-person tank with prerendered backgrounds).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom