• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Banned
And nothing will stand in their way other than forum paranoia!

Look, I'm not saying that people shouldn't complain about the shortcomings of the platform. Of course they should. But why on earth anyone, especially people in this thread, would think Microsoft could suddenly come to dominate PC gaming, no matter how much money they throw at it, is insane. The only way that will happen is if it's actually superior.

My worry is that MS and UWP shit everything up for certain games/publishers, because they don't give a monkey's. Look at Bulletstorm - still tied to GFWL, because cost of ripping GFWL out is more than EA want to spend. Look at Dark Souls, SFIV, etc - publishers actively spending money because MS gave-up and and gave them the finger. This isn't good for the industry, more than anything else. Imagine what would've happened if Bamco had said "We don't want to spend money migrating Dark Souls to Steamworks"? Look at the unavailability of Viva Pinata, because MS themselves don't see the value of re-releasing it without GFWL.

Gaming is an industry built on what's come before, and we're sooooo eager to say that we can play games that were released in the 90s due to PC's backwards compatibility. And then we hit DRM and GFWL, and it all goes to shit. :/

Quite frankly, Valve needs some decent competition. We all know it. The client is shit, their customer service is still shit, and the store is rapidly filling up with shit. I doubt as much as anyone that Microsoft can present a viable alternative, but if it motivates Valve even slightly to step things up, it will be worthwhile.

But MS aren't presenting an alternative based on quality. It's what is so infuriating - all they have to do is sell their games on Steam/Origin/GMG and the Winstore. But they don't. It's how you can tell it's a corporate strategy - because they are prioritising 100% of revenue and "UWP is the future" over a healthy competitive environment that also gives a decent ROI and promotion for their developers. I can imagine Remedy being pig-sick that so few people actually get to play Quantum Break because of MS's policy.

Also - "the store is rapidly filling up with shit". Well, that's subjective, and we have to remember that Steam is not only a store for the consumer, but also the developer. Developers like to have their games available to people, and having more shit on Steam may be infuriating for us, but for the dev? It's a potential lifesaver (slight exaggeration).

Reading this back, it sounds rather "angry-rant" so, here's a smiley to show I'm not angry at all. :D

I'm super glad RE7's logo game is on point, at least. That really was a superb reveal (of the title).
Wat? It's not survival.

I'll take your word for it.

That said, I have to imagine that sunk ships are replaced somehow, and that somehow isn't going to be instant. Really doesn't strike me as an arcade-y sort of game.

Unrelated Edit: Remember dinosaurs? Well they're back!
gmIkoPP.gif

Vibranium

Banned
No Canada (and France is especially ridiculous) in Battlefield 1. I wouldn't be surprised too if we weren't in any DLC as a part of the British Empire, we always get forgotten.

I feel like replaying CoD3. It gets shit on, but I loved playing as my country and the Polish side.

Mivey

But MS aren't presenting an alternative based on quality. It's what is so infuriating - all they have to do is sell their games on Steam/Origin/GMG and the Winstore. But they don't. It's how you can tell it's a corporate strategy - because they are prioritising 100% of revenue and "UWP is the future" over a healthy competitive environment that also gives a decent ROI and promotion for their developers.
Just by way of trial and error they might. Going by the recent Tomb Raider, the Steam version totally outsold it and I'm just guessing that recent PC ports on Win 10 store also sold really badly. At the same time, MS is already putting a huge amount of focus on it, so they might just hire some people to make the store more usable: For one, while the actual back-end will always be bound to the Windows 10 store, it would not be terribly hard to built a Win 32 App that acts as a front-end which displays your current games and lets you install them. At the same time, while they don't seem to be willing to abandon the UWP ecosystem, they might open it up a little for premium games. It's clear the whole system has been built with small smartphone apps in mind, it was never intended with complex programs that try to utilize the hardware as best they can, like apps. This shouldn't be impossible, Steam started out as an absolute turd.

But one difference here is that Valve, even back in 2004, was ready to listen to feedback and do shit. With giant corporations who have, at best, a secondary relationship with customers and other interests at heart that is an uncertain proposition. Still, who knows what the future brings. If ReCore ends up being not shite, and plays somewhat decently (which is probably a pipe-dream, since it is built with Unity), I'll end up buying it.

Ludens

Banned
I was so happy to see RE7. I just saw the trailer and...what's that garbage? Outlast?
I mean, it seems bad, you can't even see a single enemy, just enviromental stuff.
Is the demo bad?

Uzzy

No Canada (and France is especially ridiculous) in Battlefield 1. I wouldn't be surprised too if we weren't in any DLC as a part of the British Empire, we always get forgotten.

I feel like replaying CoD3. It gets shit on, but I loved playing as my country and the Polish side.

No France in a WW1 game. I guess DICE skipped over the historical research part when developing the game.

Ludens

Banned
Some speculations, the name of the character in the Kojima's game is Lazarus and he has the power to resurrect.. Bookmark this post, it will be usefull later.

Pixieking

Banned
Just by way of trial and error they might.

[...]

This shouldn't be impossible, Steam started out as an absolute turd.

Yeah, this is true. The main issue with this argument, though, is the same one I had when EA rebranded Origin and removed games from Steam - the consumer/player has grown-up with better tech, so giving us shit now is unacceptable. There is a bar for download clients right-out-the-gate, and its height is Steam of 2016 - reviews; gifting system; modding inside and outside Workshop; the ability to have games that are DRM free, independent of the client; anti-cheat; marketplace.

Winstore (and Origin) aren't competing with Steam as it was in 2004, they're competing with Steam as it is now. Which means that both EA and MS, rather than truly competing, take the easy-way out and force games to be exclusive to their platforms. I'm no fan of Ubisoft, but give them credit for both creating-and-improving their own client, and for keeping their games on Steam at the same time. And, as you say, Valve listened to feedback (I would say on a deep level) - I can't see Phil Harrison having the same understanding of issues (and willingness to act on them) as Gabe.

No doubt MS could get lucky and create something amazing. And it would be awesome if they did, no doubt. But I think the time for that passed when Jason Holtman left MS - now we're in the "pray they don't cock-up too badly" stage. :D

derFeef

I was so happy to see RE7. I just saw the trailer and...what's that garbage? Outlast?
I mean, it seems bad, you can't even see a single enemy, just enviromental stuff.
Is the demo bad?

And what's with everyone saying back to the roots? Does nobody know what RE was anymore? And what the series peaked at? Ugh... nopeing out.

Ludens

Banned
And what's with everyone saying back to the roots? Does nobody know what RE was anymore? And what the series peaked at? Ugh... nopeing out.

I will download and play the demo later, but I can say the game passed from a day one purchase to a "maybe if I can find it around 40€" one. And this IF the demo is good enough, of course, because really I can't force myself on spending 70€ on a game way too similar to many indie games you can find for 1/3 of the price on PC.
I expected a good survival horror, third person, similar to Remake, not a first person game with policemen visiting a creepy house. It looks like Capcom saw PT and thought it was a good idea making a copy of it and attaching the RE brand to it.

Also happy birthday D3RANG3D

Knurek

If someone missed it, Phantom Dust HD Remake coming to PC and X1 in 2017.

Can we stop with the lies, here at least?
Unless we have non-UWP version confirmed, please let's not state a game as coming to PC.
It's coming to Xbox family. However long that remains a thing.

wazoo

Unless we have non-UWP version confirmed, please let's not state a game as coming to PC.

Relax. And Yes, it is not on steam, but in this thread we talk about everything except steam, so ...

And UWP games are still PC games. Stop with the lies too.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

What lies? You can play it on PC stop being a jackass to someone just passing on information.

Knurek

And UWP games are still PC games. Stop with the lies too.

They are PC games exactly like Super Mario Galaxy is a PC game (playable with Dolphin).
The same way God of War is a PC game (playable with PCSX2).
The same way Loco Roco is a PC game (PPSSPP).

I don't see either considered a PC game. And neither should UWP titles be.

Monooboe

I'm surprised over the PS4 exclusives, too many that I want that I think I might actually have to get a PS4 again.o_O Hell if that Spiderman game turns out to be good, that alone would make me need to get a PS4.

D3RANG3D

I'm surprised over the PS4 exclusives, too many that I want that I think I might actually have to get a PS4 again.o_O Hell if that Spiderman game turns out to be good, that alone would make me need to get a PS4.

What are the exclusives? I completely missed out on the Sony conference.

Ludens

Banned
They are PC games exactly like Super Mario Galaxy is a PC game (playable with Dolphin).
The same way God of War is a PC game (playable with PCSX2).
The same way Loco Roco is a PC game (PPSSPP).

I don't see either considered a PC game. And neither should UWP titles be.

Sorry but Nine is right, those ARE PC games. You can or can't like the platform (Win10 store is garbage), but it's not any different from games offered as a single Digital River download or similar crap we had in the past.

Monooboe

What are the exclusives? I completely missed out on the Sony conference.

As a sucker for open world games, the ones that I really want to play is Days Gone, Horizon and the new Spiderman game. Then there's the new Kojima game, Death Stranding that seems crazy. Also Detroit might be interesting.

Tizoc

Soooooooo
Nothing major came from the Sony stream it seems

E3 hasn't had a mindblowing announcement that got me hype so far :/
Crash remastered is a nice announcement though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
is the lawbreakers alpha the whole thing? key...isn't saying beta

as in the full game is my library
thanks cliffy, love you?

The sub is named "Friends and Family Alpha Test #1". It's not unheard of for pre-release testers to be given the final game for free as thanks, but don't be surprised if the keys are later rendered invalid.

Mivey

Winstore (and Origin) aren't competing with Steam as it was in 2004, they're competing with Steam as it is now.
That is true. And their only argument is platform exclusivity. Of course that isn't customer friendly, but EA and MS are not "your friends" (neither is Valve or any other corporation). I'm not using Origin because I believe it offers some advantages to Steam (as for example GOG by its openness does, I believe))
In MS's case the Win 10 store is so broken now, not the least because of UWP, that even the exclusivity argument is sort of weak. At least they could improve it to the point where their own stuff just works, and supports anything a PC user could really want.

Ascheroth

Just by way of trial and error they might. Going by the recent Tomb Raider, the Steam version totally outsold it and I'm just guessing that recent PC ports on Win 10 store also sold really badly. At the same time, MS is already putting a huge amount of focus on it, so they might just hire some people to make the store more usable: For one, while the actual back-end will always be bound to the Windows 10 store, it would not be terribly hard to built a Win 32 App that acts as a front-end which displays your current games and lets you install them. At the same time, while they don't seem to be willing to abandon the UWP ecosystem, they might open it up a little for premium games. It's clear the whole system has been built with small smartphone apps in mind, it was never intended with complex programs that try to utilize the hardware as best they can, like apps. This shouldn't be impossible, Steam started out as an absolute turd.

But one difference here is that Valve, even back in 2004, was ready to listen to feedback and do shit. With giant corporations who have, at best, a secondary relationship with customers and other interests at heart that is an uncertain proposition. Still, who knows what the future brings. If ReCore ends up being not shite, and plays somewhat decently (which is probably a pipe-dream, since it is built with Unity), I'll end up buying it.

I don't know. Their crossbuy initiative sounds pretty much like "oh shit no is buying games from our store, let's push out more exclusives instead of fixing shit" to me.

Is the demo bad?
I'm really enjoying it, though I wish there was a feedback form or something. Movement speed is very slow, FOV is bad, and I think the game would work better in third person.

All said and done, I'm enjoying this snippet more than 6.

zkylon

zkylewd
been having a real dry throat for the past couple days, working on that noir voice, really don't wanna get sick again :T

We'll have to wait like two years to see the first real screenshots tho.
yeah, but still, that thing was weird and cool as fuck

Ludens

Banned
So, the E3 is pretty much over, and sadly for me there was nothing exciting.

-Last Guardian....I waited for this for...10 years? Can't remember, but by seeing the actual trailer, I'm not really excited.
-God of War. I like the trilogy, but this new chapter seems exactly a more of the same, only much more " a la Last of Us". Also why the main character is the carbon copy of Kratos :S
-Resident Evil 7. I was waiting for this, but I didn't expect a first person, PT-like game. I will try the demo later, but the hype died here.
-Dead Rising 4 looks fun, but I hope it will be released on Steam because, no matter what, I can't download stuff from Win10 store and I don't wanna really need to do a new installation to fix this. Also, games on Win10 store are simply overpriced, and you can't do nothing about: 70€ for a digital game is just insane.
-no Shenmue Collection, what the hell, Sega.
-nothing about Shenmue 3, and the game should release the next year, in theory.
-no Yakuza on Pc, again, why Sega?
-FFXV looks bad. I mean, VERY bad. Two trailers, and they did nothing but disappoint me. The gameplay one is awful, the E3 one is very bad too. The game seems nothinb but empty landscapes with some stuff to kill until now, filled with frame drops, clipping, bad voice acting. The only good thing is the OST, but it can't redeem a whole game. We'll see.
-the Kojima's game...dunno, zero vibes from that teaser.

Short version: I didn't like this E3. While the last year I watched some conferences live, this year I barely saw trailers for games I'm interested in (like, for God of War I watched one minute skipping in and there in the video, just to see what the game was about, that's it).

Tizoc

I'm super glad RE7's logo game is on point, at least. That really was a superb reveal (of the title).

I'll take your word for it.

That said, I have to imagine that sunk ships are replaced somehow, and that somehow isn't going to be instant. Really doesn't strike me as an arcade-y sort of game.

Unrelated Edit: Remember dinosaurs? Well they're back!
gmIkoPP.gif

yO THIS IS brilliant I gotta watch that ep.

Soulflarz

Banned
The sub is named "Friends and Family Alpha Test #1". It's not unheard of for pre-release testers to be given the final game for free as thanks, but don't be surprised if the keys are later rendered invalid.
*goes off to nag PR+Blezinskis*

Not really I'm sleepy and I'm sure they are too. Or drunk. Probably both.

Mivey

I don't know. Their crossbuy initiative sounds pretty much like "oh shit no is buying games from our store, let's push out more exclusives instead of fixing shit" to me.
Thats not mutually exclusive. If the Windows people accept that the current implementation is kind of ass, they might do something about it. Of course, that is a big if (see how I bolded it?).

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
It is Kratos. With nothing left to keep him in Greece he went North to live anew.

My question is why it went from being a par at best stylish beat-em-up to Lords of the Fallen Nordic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom