• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to spoilers, I feel as though anything that can spoil an ending or reveal a major plot point should have a spoiler tag no matter how old it is. You can complain how they should have played it already but just think about what you just said. Not everyone plays at the same pace as you. Plus, always think about what it would be like if the tables are turned.

It doesn't kill you to just tag it.

cyba89

God of War 3 is 6 years old.

This is what we're complaining about now?

God Of War 3 remaster came out less than a year ago and there's always new people playing when a port/remaster comes out for a new platform.

Is it okay to openly post spoilers for 999 and VLR here in your opinion? These games are also out for many years already.

Anustart

Did they pull the Doom demo off of steam or what? If I go to it, just get a buy now for 59.99 option. Even searching for doom demo, seeing the demo, it brings me there.

MUnited83

For you.
GoW 3 has some shitty writing and the spoilers won't affect you one single bit. It's not a game that has a complex storyline at all. And people had freaking 6 years to play it. If someone actually does care about getting it spoiled, they should have played it, they had plenty of time to do so.
Oh will this be a Steam = PC thing? I am making some popcorn, just a sec.

Steam, Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, Itch.io, GOG = PC

UWP: Not PC

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Steam, Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, Itch.io, GOG = PC

UWP: Not PC

This is such a stupid argument.

Can I play it on my PC without the console? Yes, then it is on PC.

Not to say UWP isn't a pile of shit, but this argument that UWP isn't PC has to be one of the most idiotic and fanboy arguments I've seen. What's funny about it is, it's the same argument as before with Origin and Uplay or the "Steam or Bust" crowd.

E3 has been a mixed bag for me.
-Scalebound coming to PC was great. But after the demo, this is the first time I'm not excited for Kamiya game. It looked as bad as FFXV.
-RE7 being announced being great, but what they showed isn't for me at all. I do not like horror games.
-Horizon looked great. It is probably the game that is the closest to me getting a console. To me, it looks like the HD Monster Hunter title I've been wanting.
-I love MS bringing everything to PC. If they can improve UWP, I'll be really content with it, but the fact I can't access my old games on the Marketplace will make me unwilling.
-Forza Horizon 3 is the first interesting racer for me in a while, since Trackmania United.
-The one title, We Are Happy?(Or whatever it was called), I actually thought that looked pretty interesting and neat.
-BF1 and Titanfall both had good showings. Same with For Honor.
-Spiderman looked pretty fun and it seems like a good fit.
-New Southpark is Good.

MUnited83

For you.

Not to say UWP isn't a pile of shit, but this argument that UWP isn't PC has to be one of the most idiotic and fanboy arguments I've seen. What's funny about it is, it's the same argument as before with Origin and Uplay or the "Steam or Bust" crowd.

You can't play it on PC without their console-like platform, no.

chronomac

Agreed. It's a PC platform.

yuraya

That Sony lineup is looking strong.

Honestly for me the conference was a 10 out of 10 only because of Kojima. Without him its like a 7 out of 10. All the other stuff looked decent but not something I would lose sleep over if I never played.

God of War looks like its been turned into The Order 1886
Detroit looks meh
TLG was something I never cared for to begin with.
Days Gone and Horizon looks pretty but that is about it.
VR stuff was all meh
Insomniac Spider Man has big potential.

I actually enjoyed the Infinite Warfare singleplayer demo they showed. Some fun and engaging syfy stuff in it. I kind wish Activision just released the campaign for like 15-20$ or something. Don't really care for multi.

I will admit Sony did a great job on convincing people to pick up a Neo in the future. While MS on the other hand did everything in their power to tell people not to buy an Xbox One lol. Their entire conference was basically.."Wait for the Scorpio or play on PC now"

TaterTots

Banned
This may not be the right place for this, but I don't believe it warrants a thread. I'm really disappointed Valve didn't show off L4D3 at E3. Did they just throw in the towel on the project? I'm sad.

Ozium

I just saw a thread about
a tweet that was about
a possible store display at Target for Dragon Quest 7
for 3DS,
I will fucking buy that the second it's out. Believe it.

Not PC.

Ozium 8)

Pixieking

Banned

Some might be taking the same tack as No Origin/Steam only. But a lot of the arguments are deeper - no user modding and no Steam Controller use, for example. Hell, they only recently allowed you to disable VSync and run exclusive fullscreen on Win10 apps. Durante has said time-and-time again that if Dark Souls were a UWP app, he could never have done DSFix.

sheaaaa

GoW 3 has some shitty writing and the spoilers won't affect you one single bit. It's not a game that has a complex storyline at all. And people had freaking 6 years to play it. If someone actually does care about getting it spoiled, they should have played it, they had plenty of time to do so

Shitty writing or not doesn't matter, it's the principle of it.

So you've played everything you wanted from 2010? Seen every movie you'd ever possibly be interested in from that year? Read every book? Not everyone has the privilege and luxury to do everything they want to.

MUnited83

For you.
I am not getting what you are saying, sorry but you lost me - it sounds fanboyish.
Until UWP behaves exactly like Win32, it isn't PC. It's as simple as this. MS needs to drop their shitty ass limitations and trying to control the market and then yes, they might do a PC platform eventually.

Like Knurek said, you might as well consider emulated games PC games following your logic.
Shitty writing or not doesn't matter, it's the principle of it.

So you've played everything you wanted from 2010? Seen every movie you'd ever possibly be interested in from that year? Read every book? Not everyone has the privilege and luxury to do everything they want to.

Feel free to spoil anything you want to me, hasn't ever affected my enjoyment of anything and I sure don't expect to be protected of spoilers of something i was interested but couldn't get to in 6 years.

Pixieking

Banned
It is but that was never point of the discussion. I will still play UWP games on my PC.

Mmmm, but by this reasoning, emulated console games are also PC games (which was a comment we had a couple of pages back). At that point, it becomes both circular, and nonsensical. :)

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I am not getting what you are saying, sorry but you lost me - it sounds fanboyish.

I'm going to guess another person who owns a PS4 and PC.

I have no quarrels with people disliking UWP. I'm still pissed I can not get my copies from their market place of Shadowrun, Viva Pinata, and AOEIII. That's bullshit and GFWL has proven to be terrible. I can deal with the lack of online, but even accessing the games is a problem.

But this fanboyish nature of "UWP is not PC". It irks me as an irrational argument. I use to do the GOG winter sales thread here. And I always had to add in, "No, it doesn't activate on Steam". Since 5-6 years ago. Many people had that idiotic mindset of "Steam or no Buy", while actively blaming the developers who putting it on another service. We had gamers actively rooting against other companies offering up different services.

Nzyme32

No. The last part is nonsense in particular. If people have a particular liking to a service and say "steam or bust", that's their decision and there isn't anything wrong with them choosing so. It doesn't have to be fanboyism all the time if they have their reasons for that service over others.

I personally will not be using the Microsoft Store or UWP, in essence with a similar sentiment that it isn't PC - ie I can't do everything I expect from PC gaming, and have little oversight over what I purchase compared to Win32. I have practically no choice in applications I can use in conjunction with a UWP game other than what Microsoft / developers mandate, I have to use the sandboxed consolised ecosystem UWP provides, I have no trust in the stability or reliability or perpetuity of Microsoft service due to prior experience, I have no way to fix broken products or modify them to my desire with out MS direction etc etc

Essentially I am being asked to buy a "console" game with the same limitations. That's not what I want to own or why I buy PC games, so I understand the reasoning why some people would call it "not PC" or "console" even though it is on the PC platform.

That isn't fanboyism. In my case it's about ownership, usability and perpetuity

sheaaaa

Feel free to spoil anything you want to me, hasn't ever affected my enjoyment of anything and I sure don't expect to be protected of spoilers of something i was interested but couldn't get to in 6 years.

So it's one of those "it doesn't bother me, so it shouldn't bother anyone else" deals. Got it.

I agree with the folks saying UWP =/= PC. What about the folks that use Win 7 or Win 8.1 that don't want to upgrade to Win 10? How can they play those games that are only coming out to Win 10 users? With Battle.net, Origin, even Uplay, you can still play the games on most Microsoft OSs. Microsoft may be improving UWP but it's still shit.

Although I will say Forza Horizons may be my first UWP game. Maybe...

Pixieking

Banned
We had gamers actively rooting against other companies offering up different services.

PC client exclusives =/= competition. It's bringing console exclusivity "buy-in" to the PC.

What about the folks that use Win 7 or Win 8.1 that don't want to upgrade to Win 10? How can they play those games that are only coming out to Win 10 users?

The thing is, PC users have almost faced this before, with DX10/11/12 exclusive games. The key difference is that the games were widely available to purchase, and required a standard OS upgrade at some point. Winstore is not an "OS upgrade", but is actually taking advantage of MS's OS monopoly across home PC use.

Or, tl;dr - if you think Steam is a monopoly, what do you call MS bundling their Winstore in with Win 10 installs, and forcing exclusivity of their games through it?

MUnited83

For you.
I'm going to guess another person who owns a PS4 and PC.

I have no quarrels with people disliking UWP. I'm still pissed I can not get my copies from their market place of Shadowrun, Viva Pinata, and AOEIII. That's bullshit and GFWL has proven to be terrible. I can deal with the lack of online, but even accessing the games is a problem.

But this fanboyish nature of "UWP is not PC". It irks me as an irrational argument. I use to do the GOG winter sales thread here. And I always had to add in, "No, it doesn't activate on Steam". Since 5-6 years ago. Many people had that idiotic mindset of "Steam or no Buy", while actively blaming the developers who putting it on another service. We had gamers actively rooting against other companies offering up different services.

UWP actively goes against doing stuff you could do on PC before for decades. It's not PC, pure and simply, and comparing it with the "Steam or no Buy" sentiment makes no sense whatsoever. No other PC platform does the shit UWP does. Every other PC platform is actually a PC platform.

PC client exclusives =/= competition. It's bringing console exclusivity "buy-in" to the PC.
This as well.

Annubis

This is silly, you can't play XCOM 2 on Windows 3.1 either. I don't like UWA either, but saying it's not PC makes no sense.

Windows 3.1 is not supported anymore.
Windows 7 is still within active support.

Windows 3.1 does not have an architecture similar to Windows 10.
Windows 7 has the same architecture as windows 10.

Try not to make senseless statements.

Knurek

I just hope someone releases proper PC emulator for UWP titles down the line.
With GfWL fiasco we at least had (some) developers giving rat's arse about their customers and changing the DRM to something working.
With UWP, considering it will mostly be MS first/second party titles, nobody will be there to save them from oblivion save for emulation scene.

So an emulated UWP game will then be a true PC game?

No? Why would it be?
It will be playable on PC though, with the ability to use PC tools and features (gametime tracking, injection, resolution enhancements). Just like Dolphin can enhance GCN/Wii titles.

derFeef

Ough this is silly... I will play those games on my not-PC then, on not-PC platform with still PC specs. My head hurts.

Until UWP behaves exactly like Win32, it isn't PC. It's as simple as this. MS needs to drop their shitty ass limitations and trying to control the market and then yes, they might do a PC platform eventually.

Since when did "PC" equate to a specific proprietary Microsoft API?
Not even the OS, which is a common enough misunderstanding, but to that specific API?

MUnited83

For you.
Just call them "Windows 10" games.

microsoft does

Yep, not even Microsoft acknowledges them as PC games.

I just hope someone releases proper PC emulator for UWP titles down the line.
With GfWL fiasco we at least had (some) developers giving rat's arse about their customers and changing the DRM to something working.
With UWP, considering it will mostly be MS first/second party titles, nobody will be there to save them from oblivion save for emulation scene.
Yep. Good luck when they stop supporting UWP and you can't play any of your games on Windows 12.
Ough this is silly... I will play those games on my not-PC then, on not-PC platform with still PC specs. My head hurts.
Of course it's still not a true PC game, I think you missed his point.

Ucchedavāda;206998257 said:
Since when did "PC" equate to a specific proprietary Microsoft API?
Not even the OS, which is a common enough misunderstanding, but to that specific API?
PC doesn't equate a specific proprietary Microsoft API, it equates to any API that alllows for the openess we experienced on PC for decades. Feel free to change "Win32" on the phrase for any API you prefer that can be used in the same way.

derExperte

The leveling system in Killing Floor 2 was absurdly long and it tied progression around leveling up. So I was ready for higher difficulty, but my damage and abilities weren't there.

Sharpshooter does help the meta as they melt higher health enemies.

Can't agree with absurdly long, takes maybe two long games on hard per level which compared to KF1 is manageable, any faster and I would've maxed most of the perks already. The progression also doesn't slow down quite as much later on like in other games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom