• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just call them "Windows 10" games.

microsoft does

This is the suggestion that makes the most sense. PC = "personal computer" = the computing device of your choice. Windows 10 = well, Windows 10. If you have a Windows 10 computer and you want to buy something from the Windows Store, nobody is stopping you. But arguing that these games should be considered PC games and that people should stop whining about UWP is silly.

UWP = Universal Windows Platform. "Universal" is used here the same way Sony used it for UMDs.

Knurek

When RE7 comes out on steam, I wonder if it's gonna show up as Resident Evil 7 Biohazard / Biohazard 7 Resident Evil in the library.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard / BIOHAZARD 7 バイオハザード 悪の居住者

Annubis

When RE7 comes out on steam, I wonder if it's gonna show up as Resident Evil 7 Biohazard / Biohazard 7 Resident Evil in the library.

Capcom® Presents Bio Evil ™ Seven (VII) Resident Hazard ™

EDIT: godammit... I forgot to capcpom. Missed opportunity

derFeef

I guess I am arguing over semantics, fine. I will play this "Xbox game ported to Windows 10 on UWP" on my Personal Computer and that makes me happy.

Capcom® Presents Bio Evil ™ Seven (VII) Resident Hazard ™

ede29e7b-bc10-457d-9891-17da97e9c77c.png

iosefe

UWP = Universal Windows Platform. "Universal" is used here the same way Sony used it for UMDs.

i thought the universal stood for literally the media that could be used on it and not where it would be used. we had games and movies, not the most universal, but it was somethign

Phawx

Yep. Good luck when they stop supporting UWP and you can't play any of your games on Windows 12.

This is the biggest argument to stay away from UWP. Considering that MS has done it twice (once with Xbox Live and once with GFWL) means that there is a chance that you'll be left high and dry.

Right now, I don't care. I only bought games for cheap there. I bought a bunch that were 10 cents a piece and I got a lot that were cheap in other regions. The Play Anywhere thing ensures I'll most likely have a digital version on all four *Xbox* platforms.

The more interesting thing from the Play Anywhere platform is how licensing will work. We already know PC and Console can play together. But if I buy GoW4 once, can I play it on console and PC at the same time?

I see that situation happening.

Edit:

So since we are talking about games that require emulation are not PC games Does that mean any game that requires a server that runs a service that isn't available to the public is also not a PC game?

So basically all MMOs are not PC games, yes?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
No. The last part is nonsense in particular. If people have a particular liking to a service and say "steam or bust", that's their decision and there isn't anything wrong with them choosing so. It doesn't have to be fanboyism all the time if they have their reasons for that service over others.

I personally will not be using the Microsoft Store or UWP, in essence with a similar sentiment that it isn't PC - ie I can't do everything I expect from PC gaming, and have little oversight over what I purchase compared to Win32. I have practically no choice in applications I can use in conjunction with a UWP game other than what Microsoft / developers mandate, I have to use the sandboxed consolised ecosystem UWP provides, I have no trust in the stability or reliability or perpetuity of Microsoft service due to prior experience, I have no way to fix broken products or modify them to my desire with out MS direction etc etc

Essentially I am being asked to buy a "console" game with the same limitations. That's not what I want to own or why I buy PC games, so I understand the reasoning why some people would call it "not PC" or "console" even though it is on the PC platform.

That isn't fanboyism. In my case it's about ownership, usability and perpetuity

It is the very definition of fanboyism.

Let's get this out of the way. PC is open, UWP is just another service among others. You can choose to use it or not. As you stated. It is up to the user to determine if they wish to purchase it or not on a platform. But that is the very definition of being a fanboy too. When the selection of the platform overrides the game. That is what "Steam or Bust" was. It didn't matter than GoG had the game, DRM free, working on 7, unlike the busted, DRM Steam Version.

Two, Your definition of what defines PC is different. The very definition of PC is an open system. UWP is on PC, hence it is PC. You bring up limitations, but those are limitations you refuse to accept. Steam was no different 10 years back. Online activate? One time use? Locking you into a DRM system? It wasn't till 2008/2009 did people start to accept Steam, largely due to the low prices. The hurdle of a single activation was a big one to get over. It also largely marked the death of Shareware,DRM Free, and many other open source titles. Which were once considered staples of the PC community. Now, they've been replaced by DRM services like Steam, easy to access engines and an actual marketplace to sell these titles. No more, did people have to share their games, but rather they could develop and sell them. The PC community determined as a whole this was acceptable. So what people are defining as "PC Gaming", the image has changed to a very different landscape then it was 15 years ago. Mods have fallen out of favor of indie development. Community

Now, you being asked to buy a console game or not on PC is up to you. The game can still be played on just a PC, Legally and through the Publisher. For those who want to bring up emulation. That is something that is up to you to decide, if it is worth it or not. Your a fanboy of Steam, GoG, and hate MS. Nothing is wrong with that. I'm definitely a PC fanboy. The reason I am responding to you and not others is simply because you took the time to rationalize how you thought and I respect it. This is just simply how I see it. I don't think being a fanboy of something is a bad thing at all, being an irrational one is though.

Simply put it, UWP is another aspect of what makes PC Gaming... PC Gaming. It's openness. There is a possibility it can work for some. Some people prefer the console aspect, but don't want the space of having console. UWP could be the solution to it. When an individual starts to generalize what makes a "real" PC game and what doesn't, is where the line is drawn. Because, we have gone through this cycle so many fucking times before and honestly, it gets annoying. It plays on PC, simple as that. If you want to be more specific, it is legally available for PC and being sold for PC. Anything else is personal opinion.

I will full back you through shitting on the platform till MS demonstrates otherwise they actively want to earn me as a customer.

Ascheroth

I'm not going to buy a Windows Store game as long as Microsoft doesn't drop UWP.
I like to use injectors, overlays and mods for my games. UWP does not support that, and even if it would some time in the futire... the fact alone that Microsoft would have to allow and implement it is worrying enough.

But hey, they don't make it really hard for me to avoid it when they price their games at 70€ with no competition.

MUnited83

For you.

Let's get this out of the way. PC is open, UWP is just another service among others. You can choose to use it or not. As you stated. It is up to the user to determine if they wish to purchase it or not on a platform. But that is the very definition of being a fanboy too. When the selection of the platform overrides the game. That is what "Steam or Bust" was. It didn't matter than GoG had the game, DRM free, working on 7, unlike the busted, DRM Steam Version.

Two, Your definition of what defines PC is different. The very definition of PC is an open system. UWP is on PC, hence it is PC. You bring up limitations, but those are limitations you refuse to accept. Steam was no different 10 years back. Online activate? One time use? Locking you into a DRM system? It wasn't till 2008/2009 did people start to accept Steam, largely due to the low prices. The hurdle of a single activation was a big one to get over. It also largely marked the death of Shareware,DRM Free, and many other open source titles. Which were once considered staples of the PC community. Now, they've been replaced by DRM services like Steam, easy to access engines and an actual marketplace to sell these titles. No more, did people have to share their games, but rather they could develop and sell them. The PC community determined as a whole this was acceptable. So what people are defining as "PC Gaming", the image has changed to a very different landscape then it was 15 years ago. Mods have fallen out of favor of indie development. Community

Now, you being asked to buy a console game or not on PC is up to you. The game can still be played on just a PC, Legally and through the Publisher. For those who want to bring up emulation. That is something that is up to you to decide, if it is worth it or not. Your a fanboy of Steam, GoG, and hate MS. Nothing is wrong with that. I'm definitely a PC fanboy. The reason I am responding to you and not others is simply because you took the time to rationalize how you thought and I respect it. This is just simply how I see it. I don't think being a fanboy of something is a bad thing at all, being an irrational one is though.

Simply put it, UWP is another aspect of what makes PC Gaming... PC Gaming. It's openness. There is a possibility it can work for some. Some people prefer the console aspect, but don't want the space of having console. UWP could be the solution to it. When an individual starts to generalize what makes a "real" PC game and what doesn't, is where the line is drawn. Because, we have gone through this cycle so many fucking times before and honestly, it gets annoying. Vote with your dollar, simple as that.
Once again, Steam isn't a "DRM service". It offers a completely option DRM scheme for the developers that choose to use it, but it isn't DRM by default. There's lots and lots of drm-free games on Steam.

And no, UWP doesn't make PC gaming PC gaming. It's the MS attempt of starting to close down the whole platform little by little. That's completely contrary of what the platform is supposed to be.

All they are is Xbox Apps TM,with shitty prices and no competition, and they will stop working on PCs eventually when MS inevitably drops it once they stop trying to get into the smartphone market.
I think we can all agree that UWP is PC just like the people electing a fascist dictatorship is demoracy.

Now this is a analogy that works.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I think we can all agree that UWP is PC just like the people electing a fascist dictatorship is democracy.

Monooboe

Ok one slightly good thing about UWP is that it's cross buy, meaning that if they do give up on Windows 10 store, one can still play them on Xbox One.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Ok one slightly good thing about UWP is that it's cross buy, meaning that if they do give up on Windows 10 store, one can still play them on Xbox One.

Tell that to people who don't have access to their Marketplace games.... Q_Q

I'm pretty sure all my Pinatas have starved to death by now or been killed.

Teggy

Resident Evil is supposed to be "scary" not scary scary. I don't know about this.

I wonder what the story is going to be about.

Pixieking

Banned

Let's get this out of the way. PC is open, UWP is just another service among others. You can choose to use it or not. As you stated. It is up to the user to determine if they wish to purchase it or not on a platform. But that is the very definition of being a fanboy too. When the selection of the platform overrides the game.

Let's try and relate this to other products in 2 hypothetical situations, and see if we get the same call of "fanboyism":

1) I prefer to eat free-range eggs. The local large supermarket does not stock free-range eggs, just eggs from caged hens. So I move my business elsewhere, to a store that does stock free-range eggs, in the hopes that a) my cash helps the other store grow, and b) my lack of cash negatively affects the first supermarket. Am I a fanboy?

2) My local bookshop doesn't allow me to browse through books - anything I pick-up, I have to put down within 2 minutes, or buy. It stocks 2 books exclusively by JK Rowling, but I don't know what they're like, because I can't flick through them. A competing store not only allows me to browse through books, but has a coffee shop I can sit at. It doesn't have the JK Rowling exclusives, but it gives me lots of other benefits. Am I a fanboy if I choose the second store over the first?

tl;dr - calling people fanboys just doesn't help. Ever. :)

Amzin

Ugh, stupid Sony. Their conference was awesome and now I might want a PS4. I managed to talk myself out of buying a console just for GoW3 last time but GoW4 looks great and there's at least 4-5 other games I may want for once.

I liked the format of the PC show a lot but the PS games were way more interesting to me. Of course I already know about a few dozen upcoming PC games I want so eh :p

Phawx

Ugh, stupid Sony. Their conference was awesome and now I might want a PS4. I managed to talk myself out of buying a console just for GoW3 last time but GoW4 looks great and there's at least 4-5 other games I may want for once.

I liked the format of the PC show a lot but the PS games were way more interesting to me. Of course I already know about a few dozen upcoming PC games I want so eh :p

At this point you should just wait for PS4k

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Think Again (before entering) -- MB-0588E7C1735582A8 - Taken by Vuze. 4 entrants total. - Taken by Belgarion. 9 entrants total.

t1465929655z1.png

Grief.exe

Can't agree with absurdly long, takes maybe two long games on hard per level which compared to KF1 is manageable, any faster and I would've maxed most of the perks already. The progression also doesn't slow down quite as much later on like in other games.

They must have heavily tweaked the leveling speed.

gelf

My entire issue with UWP is lack of trust in MS thanks to thier awful history of just abandoning customers products like they did with GFWL. I'm fine with so called console gaming on PC, but as a game hoarder I don't trust MS to protect my purchases in future.

If there's an UWP only game I really want though I'd probably consider it but nothing has come up so far bar maybe Scalebound.

Vibranium

Banned
Resident Evil is supposed to be "scary" not scary scary. I don't know about this.

I wonder what the story is going to be about.

I'm curious if there's going to be classic monsters like Lickers, Hunters, Chimeras, etc. This game would also be perfect for the Crimson Head mechanic to return...can you imagine how insane that would be in first person?

I thought the demo was decent, but yeah, you can't beat PT.

Jawmuncher

Unimpressed with the RE7 demo thus far. As a standalone piece it's weak. People are working on finding secrets though like with PT so will be interesting to see what they find. Won't change the game though which will entirely be in this style

Ludens

Banned
I'm more curious if there's going to be classic monsters like Lickers, Hunters, Chimeras, etc. This game would also be perfect for the Crimson Head mechanic to return...can you imagine how insane that would be in first person?

I thought the demo was decent, but yeah, you can't beat PT.

This game scaried me, it reminded me of a Ps3 game graphically.

Unimpressed with the RE7 demo thus far. As a standalone piece it's weak. People are working on finding secrets though like with PT so will be interesting to see what they find. Won't change the game though which will entirely be in this style

Yeah, but the fact is PT was focused on a para-normal experience, and you couldn't really interact with items and so if not with the photo. You only needed to "look" at some items/places, but it worked because the general idea was "I'm living a loop in a really twisted scenario, dunno what the hell is happening".

In RE franchise there's nothing paranormal, and still in this demo there are
ghosts
. And it's not cryptic like PT, it's just badly designed for me. I liked the idea of items changing location depending on what you do, it could increase the replay value, but it's not really like PT for me. I liked that, spent 10 hours on it, I uninstalled this demo after 20 minutes. It looks like Capcom tried to mimic PT without success.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I just want to be able to play viva piñata again :(
I loved that game so much, I remember playing it on my crappy old dell laptop before I even joined steam.

Vibranium

Banned

I can see that, it's not really going to impress people that much coming off of PT. Leaves me with a lot of questions about weapons, items (will there be herbs?) music and story. On the bright side, we can still hope RE2make is third person.

This game scaried me, it reminded me of a Ps3 game graphically.

Yeah, it certainly is very different in art direction.

Pachimari

Do any of you guys know what happened to Due Process, Cult County and Severed (official game page says release were on April 26 but there's nothing on Steam at least, so maybe it's OEM-free?) ?

gngf123

Do any of you guys know what happened to Due Process, Cult County and Severed (official game page says release were on April 26 but there's nothing on Steam at least, so maybe it's OEM-free?) ?

Severed wouldn't be on Steam. It is currently PS Vita exclusive.

A WiiU and 3DS version is coming out soon, and a PC version will probably happen at some point.

Nabs

I think Due Process is a long way out, and Severed was never announced for PC. I see that it just got announced for Nintendo platforms (Wii U/3DS) and IOS, so I'm hopeful that we'll see a PC release down the line.

Sarcasm

I think Due Process is a long way out, and Severed was never announced for PC. I see that it just got announced for Nintendo platforms (Wii U/3DS) and IOS, so I'm hopeful that we'll see a PC release down the line.

Thought severed was only going to be on vita.

**That is what the FAQ says at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom