• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

Whats a proper RE game? People could have said it after 3 when 4 came out. It also changed the gameplay to a totally different genre.

Took the words outta my mouth. RE is NOT an exemple in consistency.
And people keep talking about PT but the setting seems really reminiscent of Outlast 2.

Nzyme32

And still no confirmation whether that game supports VR on PC...

I'll put money down that it will due to the language they used.

The Batman VR thing will not come to PC since they are unlikely to attempt to fix up their PC issues

I reckon EA will not bring that particular X Wing mission to PC VR. but they will do it for a later larger VR set of missions / content

Resident Evil has ALWAYS been about biohazard threats. If they try to turn this into some paranormal type thing... it will take some getting used to. The whole First Person perspective is already throwing me off.

If they were going for paranormal stuff then they should have rebooted the whole thing and renamed the game as Resident Evil for Japan as well.

The only reason this game was ever even called Resident Evil in the states was because of the band Biohazard and some other game/product. I remember reading about that in a issue of EGM around 20 years ago.

Hopefully the game is still about biological war experiments gone wrong like the first game was.
One version of RE4 was with ghosts, right? This is practically a RE4-level reinvention, so I don't see the problem of it doing something different

MadGear

If they had shown off a Resident Evil more similar to RE6 I wouldn't have had any interest in playing it at all. While this RE7 feels like a very drastic change from what Resident Evil used to be or even what you expect it to be, it actually gets me interested in playing it. But I'm someone who thinks RE4 is okay at best and I have very little good to say about RE5 so I don't consider myself a fan of the series. I think its really cool and brave of them to try something new with the series but at the same time, I can't see this not backfiring at them in a spectacular way.

Nzyme32

Probably has times VR exclusivity as dumb as that is

Sony clocked on to their many varients of "exclusive" being pretty ridiculous, and now just seem to be using "exclusively on", which I think is probably going to mix everything in there, so timed exclusives on the VR stuff in particular seems pretty likely

mp1990

Banned
RE4, RE5 and RE6 are not proper RE games, RE games should have static camera.
There were 5 RE games with static camera (RE1, RE2, RE3, RE CV, RE0), 7 with free camera controls (RE4, RE5, RE6, RE Rev 1/2, RE Outbreak 1/2) and two FPS games (RE Dead Aim, RE7). How can you say that those aren't proper RE games, when they're more prevalent than the ones that follow the original formula? I don't buy it.

rtcn63

It just looks barren, both graphically and the world itself. Walking for the sake of walking... I'm sure the dungeons will be better, but this... is not enough for me to get a Wii U/NX. 3D Zelda has still yet to prove itself to me.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Weird that people are calling Resident Evil 7 a departure for the series. This will be the first mainline entry in a long while to once again feature the fixed camera angle.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
RE4, RE5 and RE6 are not proper RE games, RE games should have static camera.

because things should never change and they should regurgitate the same game over and over and over again?

rtcn63

It's about the execution. RE4 worked because even with the change of the style, the core gameplay was fun (for a third-person shooter).

RE7 will have to be a great walking simulator, like blow PT out of the fucking water, or else it wouldn't have been worth ditching the previous style. The VR might be enough to elevate it, but I'm skeptical.

It's about the execution. RE4 worked because even with the change of the style, the core gameplay was fun (for a third-person shooter).

RE7 will have to be a great walking simulator, like blow PT out of the fucking water, or else it wouldn't have been worth ditching the previous style. The VR might be enough to elevate it, but I'm skeptical.

Who's to say it will be a walking simulator? VR could be terrifying - imagine scenes from classic RE, the Hunter, Lickers, etc in first person. Aiming the shotgun down a dark, otherwise empty corridor when you hear an ominous hiss from above.

Of course, on controller I'd probably hate it. The game controls like ass on PS4, assuming it runs nicer on PC with a mouse.

Corpekata

Banned
By far the most recent franchise with so much potential, yet they keep squandering it. Where is my serious tone about the ramifications of genetically made human hybrids which are treated as slaves.

Quit it, you'll give some weirdo fans ideas about how it's a secretly good game about this very topic and then they'll make a Gametheory video about it.

Li Kao

About RE, I'm late to the party on several games now but... is RE5 plot important to the later games ? I mean, I kinda hated it the first time, and I could replay it, but I don't really feel the desire to.
Now I didn't play Untold Stories and it is very good it seems, so I'm open to the idea...
But still not too hot about it.

Scalebound. Winner of e3 cringe award, bomba.

The amount of people super excited for that game is kind of crazy, every time they've shown it it looks mediocre and rough. Kamiya's name must mean enough for some to be able to look past everything they've shown I guess.

rtcn63

Who's to say it will be a walking simulator? VR could be terrifying - imagine scenes from classic RE, the Hunter, Lickers, etc in first person. Aiming the shotgun down a dark, otherwise empty corridor when you hear an ominous hiss from above.

True. I'm really hoping there'll be gunplay, as well as the varying weapon types/upgrades the series is known for. Even if the encounters are far fewer, as long as they're enjoyable and dynamic.

But if not, for me personally, first-person horror games fall flat quickly due to a lack of combat emphasis. You become desensitized to the scares very quickly, and then it's just you going through the motions.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
No new Humble Bundle today.

Soul Axiom and Bulb Boy is added to the Hamble Bundle.

oh nice additions to the bundle, worth it for me now

The amount of people super excited for that game is kind of crazy, every time they've shown it it looks mediocre and rough. Kamiya's name must mean enough for some to be able to look past everything they've shown I guess.

but but...Platinum can do no wrong senpai :(

morningbus

Can't wait to see the about-face in here once Capcom shows off Resident Evil 7's dating sim gameplay.

Momentary

Banned
One version of RE4 was with ghosts, right? This is practically a RE4-level reinvention, so I don't see the problem of it doing something different

I'm cool with that. Just don't call it 7, reboot it, and take away the biohazard name entirely from Japan.

Resident Evil isn't about paranormal activity. It never has.

But there aren't any ghosts in this one from what I've seen so far. Just some character in the trailer saying they saw a ghost. So it could very well still be centered around umbrella lab shenanigans. Especially since the name biohazard is now brought into the title.

Jawmuncher

Any series can change its genre. No series should be held back fully by what it had. To say a RE game isn't RE because it doesn't have the same gameplay as the first game is dumb. The big complaint right now for RE7 for fans like me who have enjoyed everything prior is that ATM it's not feeling like RE (unless your only thought of RE was @Scary"). There's no zombies, no bows. Right now the only connection to RE is a photo of umbrella in the demo.

I'm still rather conflicted on the game myself. It's definitely not what I expected, and I'm not too impressed at the moment. But I'll still be giving it a chance.

Jawmuncher

I'm cool with that. Just don't call it 7, reboot it, and take away the biohazard name entirely from Japan.

But there aren't any ghosts in this one from what I've seen so far. Just some character in the trailer saying they saw a ghost. So it could very well still be centered around umbrella lab shenanigans. Especially since the name biohazard is now brought into the title.

No there are ghosts. The other thread has pictures. They'll probably be tied into being hallucinations.

Tizoc

Ironically enough, resident evil's precursor, sweet home, features supernatural elements

Jawmuncher

Quit it, you'll give some weirdo fans ideas about how it's a secretly good game about this very topic and then they'll make a Gametheory video about it.
Lol such a late reply but I love it
About RE, I'm late to the party on several games now but... is RE5 plot important to the later games ? I mean, I kinda hated it the first time, and I could replay it, but I don't really feel the desire to.
Now I didn't play Untold Stories and it is very good it seems, so I'm open to the idea...
But still not too hot about it.
RE5 is important in a sense. What are you trying to play in the series?

rtcn63

They should've just called it Resident EVR

As in eviru, with the R being made of both the letters I and R spliced together

morningbus

Your posts are killing it. Nice job.

BTW, thoughts on Serious Sam VR??

From when it was announced:

We need virtual reality technology to catch up so I can confirm it smells like shit, too.

Hey, let's take a long-standing franchise famous for its fast-paced twitch combat and turn it into a stationary shooting gallery. Brilliant idea!
The approach is not dissimilar to attempting to fix a clogged toilet by further voiding your bowels into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom