• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amzin

Eh that's a silly distinction to make. The zombies looked like humans being massacred in droves and the segment is partly supposed to make shooting guns look fun. I don't think Sony would be incredibly inconsistent about this issue.

Not really that silly, 99% of the time the use of zombies is to dehumanize them. It is exceedingly rare that any zombie-related media attempts to rehumanize them ever. It's pretty much the same approach as using aliens/robots/orcs/whatever to make mass-violence more justifiable / approachable.

Compound that with the rumor of the RDR being a guy walking into a Saloon and starting shooting and I can buy the distinction pretty clearly. But zombies to me are vastly different than people in a saloon, maybe not to everyone I guess :p

I'm waiting for at least a 75% discount to buy it and start with Resident Evil already. I have 4, 5 and Revelations from past bundles, but I'm reluctant to start this saga with the 4th entry...

What are you going to do when you don't have RE2, 3, CVX, or 0? You're gonna be waiting ages for 75% off.

4 is a soft reboot with a cliff notes summary in the first 5 minutes anyway.

Nzyme32

902358D414EC36F347DEA76B1E0779E55C38E1F4

:3

I want to support it purely because there hasn't really been any exploration of Indian culture / mythology in games. Indian mythology stuff is super crazy. It would make for some pretty amazing games if someone really worked at it. Not really sure about this though

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Windows 3.1 is not supported anymore.
Windows 7 is still within active support.

Windows 3.1 does not have an architecture similar to Windows 10.
Windows 7 has the same architecture as windows 10.

Try not to make senseless statements.
Win7 is on extended support, true, but mainstream support ended last year. Even then, support has nothing to do with whether a specific platform should be considered PC or not. If it runs natively without an emulator, then I think UWAs should be considered PC games (again, I don't like them and won't support them unless it's on a 10 cent sale like the one from last year).

And as far as I know, UWP is a different architecture than Win32. It just happens that Win10 supports both.

I think we can all agree that UWP is PC just like the people electing a fascist dictatorship is democracy.
I can live with this analogy, yeah. UWA is the Nicolás Maduro of PC games.

Endruen

What are you going to do when you don't have RE2, 3, CVX, or 0? You're gonna be waiting ages for 75% off.

4 is a soft reboot with a cliff notes summary in the first 5 minutes anyway.

Don't worry, I have more than enough to play while waiting for those XD

I guess I'll just wait, that's about it. Is Code Veronica really important? I think the numbered entries are more than enough games already.

def sim

Not really that silly, 99% of the time the use of zombies is to dehumanize them. It is exceedingly rare that any zombie-related media attempts to rehumanize them ever. It's pretty much the same approach as using aliens/robots/orcs/whatever to make mass-violence more justifiable / approachable.

Compound that with the rumor of the RDR being a guy walking into a Saloon and starting shooting and I can buy the distinction pretty clearly. But zombies to me are vastly different than people in a saloon, maybe not to everyone I guess :p

Part of my point is that the issue involves gun control, which is a hot topic in the media. It's not as simple as, "well they're zombies so it's cool to shoot like hell." The rumor is ridiculous. Sony and Take Two would be inconsistent on the subject and simple minded.

tuxfool

Banned
You do know that almost all console games for all the systems have really bad Anisotropic filtering, not only nintendo consoles.

True. But Nintendo seem almost uniquely interested in half-assing the look of their games by not giving a shit about the IQ of their games.

-MD-

I'm waiting for at least a 75% discount to buy it and start with Resident Evil already. I have 4, 5 and Revelations from past bundles, but I'm reluctant to start this saga with the 4th entry...

Breh, $12 for REmake is a steal.

Buy it and play it right now.

Nzyme32

It is the very definition of fanboyism.

Let's get this out of the way. PC is open, UWP is just another service among others. You can choose to use it or not. As you stated. It is up to the user to determine if they wish to purchase it or not on a platform. But that is the very definition of being a fanboy too. When the selection of the platform overrides the game. That is what "Steam or Bust" was. It didn't matter than GoG had the game, DRM free, working on 7, unlike the busted, DRM Steam Version.

Two, Your definition of what defines PC is different. The very definition of PC is an open system. UWP is on PC, hence it is PC. You bring up limitations, but those are limitations you refuse to accept. Steam was no different 10 years back. Online activate? One time use? Locking you into a DRM system? It wasn't till 2008/2009 did people start to accept Steam, largely due to the low prices. The hurdle of a single activation was a big one to get over. It also largely marked the death of Shareware,DRM Free, and many other open source titles. Which were once considered staples of the PC community. Now, they've been replaced by DRM services like Steam, easy to access engines and an actual marketplace to sell these titles. No more, did people have to share their games, but rather they could develop and sell them. The PC community determined as a whole this was acceptable. So what people are defining as "PC Gaming", the image has changed to a very different landscape then it was 15 years ago. Mods have fallen out of favor of indie development. Community

Now, you being asked to buy a console game or not on PC is up to you. The game can still be played on just a PC, Legally and through the Publisher. For those who want to bring up emulation. That is something that is up to you to decide, if it is worth it or not. Your a fanboy of Steam, GoG, and hate MS. Nothing is wrong with that. I'm definitely a PC fanboy. The reason I am responding to you and not others is simply because you took the time to rationalize how you thought and I respect it. This is just simply how I see it. I don't think being a fanboy of something is a bad thing at all, being an irrational one is though.

Simply put it, UWP is another aspect of what makes PC Gaming... PC Gaming. It's openness. There is a possibility it can work for some. Some people prefer the console aspect, but don't want the space of having console. UWP could be the solution to it. When an individual starts to generalize what makes a "real" PC game and what doesn't, is where the line is drawn. Because, we have gone through this cycle so many fucking times before and honestly, it gets annoying. It plays on PC, simple as that. If you want to be more specific, it is legally available for PC and being sold for PC. Anything else is personal opinion.

I will full back you through shitting on the platform till MS demonstrates otherwise they actively want to earn me as a customer.

Completely missed you response post - and you've pretty much completely gone past the entire point of my post and run on your "fanboyism" tirade based on the premise that you think the people saying "Steam or bust" are only literally going to buy from Steam and nothing else based solely on the fact "it's Steam" - That would be fanboyism

My argument is that I am certain that is not the case for the vast majority of people saying it, many of whom state it as one of many other services and more so the one they prefer due to their own reasons over another store - such as known perpetuity, trust, usability features, etc. It's a primary store to list rather than spending a thread listing every single other disributor. Ask those same people if they would buy it from Humble / GoG / Battlenet etc etc without UWP and I think you'll find many of them would (there are definitely a bunch of them saying that that I know would at least, which was the point of bringing up that topic)

Importantly my argument is specifically about the product you buy and it's capabilities as a product. That product is tied to UWP, which is more closed than if I were to buy from any other distributor as I said before. So much more closed of a product that I don't think it is wrong for someone to call it a "console / consolised" PC product, as it lacks the features that have driven PC gaming for decades and allow all manner of usability and user modifiability for indefinite perpetuity. Of course it is a PC product, since it is on the PC if you have to be so pedantic, but it is outright attempting to restrict access and usability to that open platform in favour of a new one in it's own making put on top of it. That simply won't sell to me. Of course the Windows Store also has many issues of trust, reliability, stability, usability to demonstrate on top of those issues too.

Bleh, I was worried Humble would take a week off after tossing out that crappy E3 bundle. Guess I was right. I want that Sonic bundle, come on Humble/Sega.

D3RANG3D

I refuse to use Uplay/Origin, but I am not exactly a fan fo Steam.

Refuse is probably a bit much I just don't like EA/Ubisofts games.

Belgarion

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Belgarion, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Think again. Again. -- MB-0588E7C1735582A8 - Taken by Vuze. 4 entrants total.

t1465937708z1.png

Already owned so, more time to think
Edit: Forgot the nothanks rule, credits to the anonymous benefactor

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
90% of the games I own on uPlay, Origin and GOG were free.

For me, Origin and Uplay games are at exactly 100%. Well for uPlay they're "free" in the sense that I purchased the games on Steam, launch them from Steam, and are required to play them using uPlay. Long story short, I've not paid for any games directly on either Origin or Uplay.

As for GOG, it started out that every game I had there was free as well either from a giveaway or bundle. But lately they've had some killer deals and great releases of older stuff that isn't on Steam, and in the past few years I've spent a few hundred dollars on GOG games. Since they're DRM free, I really don't mind that I "don't have them on Steam" because as Nzyme32 pointed out above, it all comes down to usability. I don't need things like Steam Family Sharing with GOG - I'll just install said game on my son's PC so he can play it while I'm at work. They also have a generous return policy and such, and they even have their own game client now.

Nzyme32

I refuse to use Uplay/Origin, but I am not exactly a fan fo Steam.

Refuse is probably a bit much I just don't like EA/Ubisofts games.

I love GoG, Humble & Battlenet, which I both use frequently and buy from frequently, although in the case of Humble they tend to also have Steam keys. Uplay is still a pain in the ass. With the exception of a couple of gifts, I haven't bought a Uplay game in around 6 or more years. Had no issue with the games that didn't have uplay of course, but uplay has been so unreliable that I gave up. This is also pretty largely effected by me no longer wanting Ubi games anyway due to them being bland, over priced or broken. South Park will be the first game I buy since those years purely for the sake of South Park, with the hope refunds are still fine should Uplay piss on the game, although this will be purchased on Steam purely for convenience sake and the ability to more easily use the Steam Controller.

Origin I had massive issues with when I bought BF3 (retail) with a bunch of friends, and we all gave up on it. Everything else I have there is free stuff, but it has certainly improved by a long way. Now it is the same issue as Ubi, bland games, overpriced, dlc laden and often broken at launch and beyond. I think whenever Mass Effect 3 gets cheap again, I might pick it up and test how it goes before going for Andromeda assuming that works and gets a lot cheaper.

Pachimari

I just finished the Resident Evil 7 demo and holy shit is it good. Like legit good. It was spooky with a few jump scares that didn't work all that well on me, but it was intense and I got really invested and curious about this house and the crew that had been there. Wonderful demo. I think Resident Evil 7 can end up among the best Resident Evil games. The atmosphere is like in REmake but intense and more upfront. I hope they can also deliver on the combat aspect and don't overdo it, so that you will feel vulnerable like you do in the demo. I'm excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom