• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

Isn' the Pachi market going down though? Or rather becoming less lucrative? SNK for one had bailed out.

Well yeah, but the point is, a local "niche" market is basically keeping the entire company afloat, so good luck telling the bosses that they should do something different in another division. I certainly agree that they should expand their western development though. But they are probably more likely to just try to capitalize on the Japanese mobile market.

Tizoc

They should pivot to the global market, and to the extent that the global market and the Japanese market are divergent (which they certainly are) they should ignore their home markets.
The problem here is making them realize this. The thing about these devs is that they care only about the Yen and are quite conservative now. They found their main money maker and are just gonna stick to it.
It just seems that SEGA of Japan doesn't care about the former glory they once had, even if it wasn't earned by the old guard themselves.

Uh, yes, and we're seeing that right now? Have you not seen a film in the last 5 years? Anything with even a moderate budget is being developed for the Chinese market, even though all the entertainment companies are American.
Eh the 4th TF movie took place in china and really the Warcraft movie was never anything to write home about. If it did well in China then it sure as heck wouldn't be because it was designed to appeal to an Asian market.

Phawx

Hey everyone,

I put Archi's Steam Farm in a docker container. I don't know if that's of interest to any of you, but if you didn't want to bother installing packages/dependencies/etc I believe the container should just run, you'd only need to edit the .json file.

I have it running on my NAS now, nice and liteweight.

Lomax

Eh the 4th TF movie took place in china and really the Warcraft movie was never anything to write home about. If it did well in China then it sure as heck wouldn't be because it was designed to appeal to an Asian market.

Look at it this way, the success of Warcraft in China means if we do see sequels, we'll never see the Arthas/Lich King storyline (at least without heavy alterations) because they don't allow skeletons on screen.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Question though:
Does any mod reads ModBot's PMs ?

No Mod has access to ModBot's account except me and I don't read it except when diagnosing a giveaway issue.

Who's closing threads with ModBot ? :")

Could be anyone, the entire point is to be able to communicate reasons for locking without being badgered by bitter people for whom no amount of explanation would satisfy them. I regret that it is sometimes used to leave non-informative but rude/catty messages.

Tizoc

Look at it this way, the success of Warcraft in China means if we do see sequels, we'll never see the Arthas/Lich King storyline (at least without heavy alterations) because they don't allow skeletons on screen.

Oh yeah that too.
Rip OG Karthus
FlVwWUX.png

No Mod has access to ModBot's account except me and I don't read it except when diagnosing a giveaway issue.

Could be anyone, the entire point is to be able to communicate reasons for locking without being badgered by bitter people for whom no amount of explanation would satisfy them. I regret that it is sometimes used to leave non-informative but rude/catty messages.

So... no risks of any mod reading my potential daily conversations with ModBot ? :")

Tellaerin

They should pivot to the global market, and to the extent that the global market and the Japanese market are divergent (which they certainly are) they should ignore their home markets.

Uh, yes, and we're seeing that right now? Have you not seen a film in the last 5 years? Anything with even a moderate budget is being developed for the Chinese market, even though all the entertainment companies are American.

I know, and it's not a trend I'm thrilled about. The idea of a country tailoring the bulk of its creative output to suit the sensibilities of a foreign audience because profits doesn't sit well with me. That Sega (and other Japanese devs) are bucking that trend by continuing to develop products for their domestic audience, supporting local creators and local tastes, is something I have to give them credit for. I don't want to see everything outside of indie titles become homogeneous globalized blobs with no regional character. :s

Momentary

Banned
Not sure if Tekken 7 coming to PC is a new announcement or not, but I'm excited as all hell.

I'm a big fan of T3, and TTT2 Wii U.

I've watched the trailer like 10 times already. So hyped. I've been with the series since it hit arcades back in the day... 93 or 94... I can't remember. Tekken 2 is when I really fell in love, but Tekken 3 was just a mastah piece. And it had Gon.

impact

Banned
Tekken is the GOAT fighter right now

I really wish they announced TTT2 port to PC in the meantime while we wait for T7. I don't miss my PS3 that much, but I do miss Tag 2 (and fuckin Tokyo Jungle)

So the Humble E3 ticket bundle thing just got a demo for Monster Hunter Generations in the $4 tier. I bought the bundle but the demo key region locked so if anyone got it and doesn't have a 3DS or something, I'd really appreciate it if you could send that key my way :p

EDIT - A US/NTSC code so someone who bought it from North America I guess.

Granjinha

Man, people are really impatient. SEGA confirmed that there ARE more PC ports coming. Just wait, jesus christ. It's not like there aren't a fuckton of games for everyone to play on Steam.

Red Hood

Banned
Honestly prefer GOG to Steam anyway.

In what way? Surely not in terms of amount of games, client and community size. However, I do applaud competition and GOG has made tremendous steps the last year, I hope they get even bigger and more popular. But for a guy who's online 99% of the time their main unique selling point of DRM-free copies isn't a huge benefit for me. I own only one high profile game there (Witcher 3 from the Nvidia vouchers), and other than that freebies over the years.

On the up side, the prices are usually slightly better (e.g. $ =/= €)

Dex has been getting 50% off sales on Steam regularly since last summer, almost every other month if ITAD isn't lying, I'd wait.

Hmm, that's weird. I've added Dex to my Steam wishlist since January this year and I haven't gotten a notification yet. Same with ITAD, probably earlier, set at 50% but no recent notifications.

gelf

I know, and it's not a trend I'm thrilled about. The idea of a country tailoring the bulk of its creative output to suit the sensibilities of a foreign audience because profits doesn't sit well with me. That Sega (and other Japanese devs) are bucking that trend by continuing to develop products for their domestic audience, supporting local creators and local tastes, is something I have to give them credit for. I don't want to see everything outside of indie titles become homogeneous globalized blobs with no regional character. :s
The sad thing for long term Sega fans though is actually thats what Sega used to be good at, straddling both markets, especially in the arcades. I don't think you can say the likes of Outrun, Afterburner, Daytona where some hyper focused Japanese market things. Despite that they still had an obvious Sega character to them.

They used to do so much more then just pander to a local audience, I get the impression the old talent at the company, people like Yu Suzuki, didn't even want to do that anyway.

Edit: and even if they do just focus on that market if would be nice if they at least threw us some more bones of that output.

Man, people are really impatient. SEGA confirmed that there ARE more PC ports coming. Just wait, jesus christ. It's not like there aren't a fuckton of games for everyone to play on Steam.

I think the strange thing is that mini companies like If or Spike Chunsoft can put out multiple Ports each year on Steam, while we got two (?) console exclusive ports. VC and Sonic.

Ascheroth

Valkyria Chronicles was a nice surprise, but that's been 2 years soon. And the only other thing they've ported in that time was some Sonic game.

Tellaerin

The sad thing for long term Sega fans though is actually thats what Sega used to be good at, straddling both markets, especially in the arcades. I don't think you can say the likes of Outrun, Afterburner, Daytona where some hyper focused Japanese market things. Despite that they still had an obvious Sega character to them.

They used to do so much more then just pander to a local audience, I get the impression the old talent at the company, people like Yu Suzuki, didn't even want to do that anyway.

I feel like those days ended with the Dreamcast. : /

Tizoc

Did anyone mention yet that the Crash Bandicoot Remastered trilogy MIGHT get released on other platforms? There's a slim chance since well I don't think it's been said to be a PS4 exclusive yet @_@

Did anyone mention yet that the Crash Bandicoot Remastered trilogy MIGHT get released on other platforms? There's a slim chance since well I don't think it's been said to be a PS4 exclusive yet @_@

I think I read somewhere that Sony has exclusive publishing rights to Naughty Dog's Crash games. It's a shame, I'd be down for playing it if it got ported elsewhere.

I think Sony would have need to give Acti a lot of money to make it exclusive to PS4.

I think I read somewhere that Sony has exclusive publishing rights to Naughty Dog's Crash games. It's a shame, I'd be down for playing it if it got ported elsewhere.

Maybe its from the same Sony-Fanboys that said FFX/X-2 Remaster will never come out anywhere else, because it uses some Sony technology. If Sony wants the rights to the character from Activision, Activision can also negotiate that they can only get it if they can release it everywhere.

MUnited83

For you.
There is cdkeys that has DOOM for $37.99 currently. I wouldn't say they are 100% reputable to buy games from but I see them as on the same level as GMG especially with what happened to GMG and their key problems from before.

EDIT: ...or try the post below and save an extra dollar.

Using EUR on cdkeys+ their 5%discount is probably cheaper.

I think Sony would have need to give Acti a lot of money to make it exclusive to PS4.

Maybe its from the same Sony-Fanboys that said FFX/X-2 Remaster will never come out anywhere else, because it uses some Sony technology. If Sony wants the rights to the character from Activision, Activision can also negotiate that they can only get it if they can release it everywhere.
Well, the PSN releases of the Crash PS1 games are published by Sony with no mention of Activision so they likely have the publishing rights to them. However, I don't think those rights would apply to a brand new remaster from the ground up.

Is there any metric on how much the average card goes up at the beginning of a sale? It seems like the sale this time will have some meta game involving crafting of badges so I expect some uptick, just not sure how much.

Well, the PSN releases of the Crash PS1 games are published by Sony with no mention of Activision so they likely have the publishing rights to them. However, I don't think those rights would apply to a brand new remaster from the ground up.

Even then if Sony really wants the rights to the character (and they need it to remaster a game), Activision can dictate most of the things in a legal negotiation.

Ventara

Is there any metric on how much the average card goes up at the beginning of a sale? It seems like the sale this time will have some meta game involving crafting of badges so I expect some uptick, just not sure how much.

I'm wondering this, too. Even if it's a penny or two, with over 1000 cards to list, it adds up.

derExperte

SWARMRIDERS

header.jpg

SWARMRIDERS is a FREE "endless runner"+"twin stick shooter" ARCADE mashup. A "machine gun swarm surfing minigame" made as a bonus content for the UBERMOSH community.

Hmm....

What did I miss?

Momentary

Banned
Looks like I'll be forking out money for a NX and a Neo. I've gone 8 years without a console. I might back out. All I want is Zelda for the NX and...

Nier
Gravity Rush 2
Bloodborne
along with other games that won't make the jump to PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom