• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDcUj8PrMh8

8min long video of Civ VI in action. It basically shows the progression from ancient times to the modern era in a time lapse with a bit of combat thrown in. Still not sold on the art style but the change to cities so that they covers up to 30 tiles and workers being expendable look like significant changes. At the very least it's a shake-up to how combat will play out in Civ VI versus Civ V. You basically can't turtle without consequence in Civ VI like you could in Civ V, losing tiles in Civ VI is much more detrimental.

The animation for the units and wonders being built as well as shifting lighting tied to time of day are pretty and all but I just wonder how those things will hold up in larger games. Civ V (and Beyond Earth) had issues with similar things but hopefully their new engine will hold up.

One thing stood out to me in that video, the government policy system in Civ VI looks like it's lifted directly out of Beyond Earth. Hopefully Civ VI's take on it is a little more involved and interesting similarly to how Brave New World made tourism a fun little thing you could micro-manage for tourism and culture bonuses.

We are a week away from the Summer Seal

Get hype everybody

9b1

I've got $50 ready for the sale and I'm hoping to have more by the end.

Yeah kinda. I died a few times in Black n Wine, very rarely happen in my vanilla game. I'm on NG+ though.

They need to port FF XII and XV first. Maybe they'll start porting their other games starting fall or winter next year.

At this point, I'd rather have Nier Automata than FFXII or even XV.

We are a week away from the Summer Seal

Get hype everybody

9b1

Oh man I'm so ready. I need Fallout New Vegas to go on sale, I've been itching to play it for like 6 months now but I'm too cheap to buy full price >.<

Also hoping for good sales on:
Skyrim
Hyper Light Drifter
Undertale

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
civ 6 makes me moist

Tell me more.

It does look pretty great so far. I was super skeptical about the new fog of war style, but after seeing it in action a bit, I am liking it quite a bit. I will be interested to see the effect of making workers limited use also.

Tizoc

Just finished Styx Master of Shadows

Holy shit The very final part of the final chapter/stage was ridiculous.
I didn't find the Elves all TOO irritating, although it devolved into being trial and error. I watched a few speed runs and dang, it's like if you memorize the stage and just go yolo right from the start you can get past various guards to complete a stage as fast as possible.

OK so what's my verdict of it? Well for one thing I kinda felt that it went a little longer than it had any right to but otherwise I enjoyed my time with it. It's def. a low budget title but at least they did what they could with what they had. The jumping was still weird but it got the job done most of the time.
It's not a perfect game but if you like stealth games def. check it out.
I should also point out that the game has a really good story, simple as it is, but it's a good one.
Of interest is that this game has more than 250,000 owners on Steam as per Steamspy; it's predecessor game Of orcs and men has over 150,000 owners.

Here's my scoring of the game-
Graphics: 2 out of 5, nothing remarkable but it gets the job done

Gameplay: 3.5 out of 5, mainly for the jankiness, however the game does let you go through a level in various ways based on the layout of a stage and the tools given to you. Any less janky and with a final section that wasn't too ridiculous I would've given it a 4 or higher. This isn't of course excluding the 'twist' halfway through the game; I didn't mind it and kinda just rolled with it, what with this being a low budget title and all.

Sound: N/A, not to say there is any bad music in it, but there isn't much that is remarkable or that noteworthy. Granted the music is good and the voice acting is fine (although the dialog could've been waaaaaaaaaaaay better, I'm pretty sure some of the stuff the characters say sound way better in French and just didn't translate properly into English), but like I wrote nothing I would say is remarkable.
I will say this though: If you die from jumping off a high area, Styx will sometimes yell 'FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!'

Replayability: 4 out of 5. I might be generous here but the game does have the potential of multiple replaying of it: be it to get all the tokens and items, beat all stages pacifist style as much as possible, complete all secondary objectives and the usual beating the game without being spotted (Ghost). Now granted I did find that the game went on a little longer than it should but one could always end a replay of the game at a certain point where they feel they had their satisfaction playing through the game.

So, overall score is.....3.5 or 4 out of 5. For a low budget title, it managed to be a good stealth game despite it's flaws, and if you are a fan of stealth games, I strongly recommend you give this game a chance.

data

Apparently steam cloud saves don't work right now, if I decide to play a game now, it won't redownload my old save again when it works again, will it?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Apparently steam cloud saves don't work right now, if I decide to play a game now, it won't redownload my old save again when it works again, will it?

Typically if there's a discrepancy between local saves and cloud saves, Steam will ask if you want to download and use them. It'll tell you which is older and newer.

oipic

Will believe Spencer about Microsoft titles on Steam when it happens - and possibly not even then. He's a serial spinner of PR nonsense with very little credibility, and he's a big reason why I look askance at everything and anything Microsoft touches in gaming.

KingKong

I feel like they must understand that putting games on Steam is still a way of getting people to use Windows since SteamOS has gone nowhere. Have a sign in so you tie people to MS accounts and all youre losing is that 30% cut

madjoki

A new client Beta has been started with the following changes:

Steam Overlay
DirectX 12 titles in multi-GPU configurations are now supported by the overlay
SteamVR
Fixed crash when launching VR titles via desktop shortcuts
Added notification for when a screenshot is taken while in VR.
Steam Controller
Added support for Controller Activators
Activators sit between inputs (like a button) and outputs (like a keypress) and allow for a variety of new behaviors and functionality
Current activators include Normal Press, Long Press, Double Press, Start Press, Release Press, etc.
Activators have their own settings, so they can each have haptics, delays, toggles, cycle bindings, turbo, etc.
There is no limit to the number of activators on an input, so a single button can have a normal press, a double press, multiple long presses of different durations, etc. each of which execute independently and fire off their own bindings with their own settings.
Mode shifts are also activator based, so mode shifts can now toggle or have special functionality like only on Long Press.
Internal file format has been reorganized due to these changes, so new configurations are not backwards compatible. Any changes made to an existing configuration will not work in previous builds
All existing configurations are converted into the new format and carry over the appropriate settings and bindings
Added the ability to copy and existing Action Set into a new Action Set when creating one. You now have a dropdown of all existing action sets to copy from on create.
Fix for zombie controllers when resuming from suspend with a dongle in a suspend-powered USB port.
Gyro optimizations which in certain cases reduce latency.
Fixed footer showing toggle game actions button when using action sets on legacy configurations.
Fixed Action Sets being visible and selectable at the top of the UI while in binding/activator editing modes.
Fixed Gyro Mode Button being visible and selectable while editing other modes.
Fixed Footer not appearing in the desktop configurator.
Fixed Controller Beep potentially browning out in low battery situations.
Fix for register controller dialog only showing up in the main Steam window and not the overlay if you turn on a new controller while in-game.
Linux
Improved compatibility with newer Linux distributions

tons of controller stuff in new beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom