• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Art style doesn't look all that changed to me in comparison to Civ V, though. Not significantly. Are you just a large fan of how other titles do it, or?

It's mainly the cartoon-ier units and leaders, I like the look of the cities and the world. For example, Cleopatra looks like a Dreamworks character in those diplomatic interactions with how exaggerated her animation and model is in the scene where Egypt surrenders.

zkylon

zkylewd
What did you dislike about spec ops?
You liked Spec Ops: The Line for reasons other than it's writing?
well obviously i liked the story in spec ops but the story in that game is told through so many levels, from the music to the animations becoming more brutal as the game goes on to the flashy losing ur mind sequences to the mostly unsatisfying combat to the sniper guy on the main menu. the writing contributed too but i don't think i was ever too impressed by it and i feel like it was mostly good direction that carried that game, not writing

derFeef

Overkill was a mistake.

I mean in theory it's fucking cool. Awesome music and the action can be frantic, then there is John Wick, Ron Perlman... but I joined a game and this map is like amateur levels of ugly and seemed unfinished as hell. Animations of the enemies are really bad (I don't rmember them to be that bad) and everything is sluggish and... slow.

There is a good game there somewhere and I really wanted it to be good, but in the end I was really disappointed :(

zkylon

zkylewd
payday never really delivered on its premise but it can be kind of fun, can't say i've found it boring, just really repetitive and the progression system is just all kinds of rotten

like i wish it felt like a cool heist with like actual different classes that had different objectives and specialties and stuff, not just a shooter with like turn a cop into your ally magic and waiting for drills for 10 minutes.

wish you could like have to actively keep hostages in check, negotiate with the police, have multiple stage shootouts and like drive the escape van and whatnot. have actual stealth, interesting alarm systems and advanced ai, etc.

i feel like that's what everyone wants but the game's kind of trapped in this l4d thing that works just enough that it's not reasonable for them to change it

derFeef

Yeah, that's now two games I wanted to be good that are really disappointing.
Payday 2 and Killing Floor 2 :(
L4D3 where are you.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I requested a review code for this game:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/463110/

It lists these features:

-Point-and-click adventure games?
-Simple yet honest "old school" 216-color graphics?
-An 800x600 windowed resolution?
-The ability to go full screen with either stretched or un-stretched pixels?
-A single EXE file that's less than 5 MB?
-Lots and lots and LOTS of reading?
-A unique response for every single possible interaction?
-Lizard girls?

The 216-color graphics bullet point is bogus. Let's just say that was the same amount of colors available on EGA.

Here is an old game done in EGA:

62703-loom-dos-screenshot-learning-the-dyeing-and-emptying-spells.png

And here is Farnham Fables:

ss_de889d3df86983b33096d02487adad74351b2101.600x338.jpg

So having said that, the game is only 99c and there are some interesting things going on.

First and foremost is this weird merging of old-school CRPG movement, with a VN visual style and PnC adventure game verbs and inventory system. Initially the presentation was a little underwhelming when I first played but the design of the system grew on me as it's pretty intuitive.

The other noteworthy thing is that later on in the game you have a party of three people who each have their own inventory and also their own special *verb*. Basically you got your medic/mage/warrior.

Also also, each character interacts with everything differently. There is a lot of neat ideas in the game but then I accidentally beat the game in 24 minutes when I was doing my Quick Look.

So my Quick Look transformed into a Play Through.

Also there are Lizard titties in the game.

Here's my Quick Look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWg_nzJJvPY

Interesting, let me check this out...

Z6FJjOR.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
austin leaving giantbomb makes me pretty sad, he was one of my favorites

hope he ends up somewhere fun, i think patrick's doing good work at kotaku but it's just not a very entertaining environment compared to giantbomb

such a bummer

derFeef

austin leaving giantbomb makes me pretty sad, he was one of my favorites

hope he ends up somewhere fun, i think patrick's doing good work at kotaku but it's just not a very entertaining environment compared to giantbomb

such a bummer

I miss Patrick, he seems lost at Kotaku. I am not that big of a fan of GBeast but Austin was a cool addition - well spoken and awesome writing.

Killing Floor 2 is good, if you play with competent people.

Eh, has nothing to do with people, they just mes sup every update and can't get their shit together.

FellowGAF,

Is SharewareOnSale a legit site? They are courting me.

Looks like they are connected to Failmid.com as well. They seem to farm keys from free giveaways like the recent uplay Prince of Persia and then present them as their own with all the attached advertising.

Edit: Lols, they just email you a link to uplay!

zkylon

zkylewd
I miss Patrick, he seems lost at Kotaku. I am not that big of a fan of GBeast but Austin was a cool addition - well spoken and awesome writing.
i liked gbeast the best actually and he seemed to bring a really nice balance to the group so yeah i'll miss him like i miss patrick and ryan

hope whoever they find next is cool

Looks like they are connected to Failmid.com as well. They seem to farm keys from free giveaways like the recent uplay Prince of Persia and then present them as their own with all the attached advertising.

Edit: Lols, they just email you a link to uplay!

Yup.

Asking for 60k keys for a free giveaway.

What the fuck, people. Come on.

Sch1sm

?

The game director is the guy who did Gods & Kings and Brave New World and all the systems included in those are in the base game of VI.

It will be the best Civ. Believe.

I said unless, Ozi. I haven't read up on it yet. I'm leaving that to before I pull the purchase trigger. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ V still had its downfalls. There'll be more. And then I'll regret buying base game early because the expansions cost is painful upkeep.

Nah, considering the producer has been evasive with the game being exclusive "for now", "for the time being", it's definitely coming to Steam down the line.

If it comes out on Steam down the line, and I'm still doubting it - bet you it'll be X1 as a joke because at least 360 had NieR - I'll give away a copy Day 1. You can hold me to it. Bookmark this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Sky Mercenaries -- MB-1A89445CAC3AD8EF - Taken by Tellaerin
Judgement -- MB-B4097EA39BBB26C7 - Taken by Kuroyume
Era of Majesty -- MB-88F5E8E6C2B4A29F - Taken by Arthea
Who's Your Daddy -- MB-1A47C35EF5AD89B5 - Taken by fuzzy123
Wave of Darkness -- MB-E9DB51A19493B0F0 - Taken by Saty
Car Mechanic Simulator 2014 -- MB-77467D67D4ABF27C - Taken by NingenJanai
Five: Guardians of David -- MB-0BF6D526D4D99259 - Taken by Driw3r
King of Dragon Pass -- MB-29E440FD4732DDE0 - Taken by rainking187

Corpekata

Banned
I really doubt they'd care that much about the fact Nier was on 360. The game is mechnaically very different, and the story is not directly connected.

Sch1sm

I really doubt they'd care that much about the fact Nier was on 360. The game is mechnaically very different, and the story is not directly connected.

But they do care, not because of any interconnected themes, but because of following. Besides, I don't believe it'll end up there, it's just they probably don't see there being a crowd for it (which is precisely why it isn't releasing in X1 to start with) on PC.

AHA-Lambda

Finished the main questline in Blood and Wine now, more Witcher 3 is always a good thing but tbh the combat encounters this time around really soured me on alot of it, haven't much motivation to do the other side stuff now; plus I can do with the SSD space.

Speaking of which the last episode of Dreamfall Chapters is today as well so I can get that off my pc too. Now that game has been a huge disappointment >_>

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Indie Gala Capsule Computers "FRIDAY SPECIAL" Bundle #34

Pay only $1 and Get these 3 great games!

The Big Elk (STEAM) +
NORTH (STEAM) +
ASTROKILL (STEAM)

Pay only $2.99 or more (ONLY FIRST 24 Hours) and Get The Entire Bundle of 11 Steam Games!

Fairytales: Three Heroes (STEAM) +
Rogue Port - Red Nightmare (STEAM) +
Strayed (STEAM)
Liveza: Death of the Earth (STEAM) +
Moonstone Tavern - A Fantasy Tavern Sim! (STEAM) +
Forgotten Lore (STEAM) +
Ookibloks (STEAM)
Gimbal (STEAM)

https://www.indiegala.com/friday

Monooboe

Ok, I'm a bit late to the party, but Shadowrun: Dragonfall is so good! I didn't play Shadowrun Returns, how would it be to play it after Dragonfall? Also how is Hongkong compared to Dragonfall?

Knurek

Finally! I've been waiting a long time for the second Grisaia!
And then it releases around the same time as the third Higurashi, I need a vacation to read all these!

Tell me about it - after 40 hours I've just started the main part of Root Double. Which will probably take another 20 or so. :|

sprinkles

Tell me about it - after 40 hours I've just started the main part of Root Double. Which will probably take another 20 or so. :|
I am a bit mad that I switched to the Root Double Vita version during the KS campaign. There is still no date announced for that version yet.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Forge of Gods Infernal War Pack -- MB-88212EEFCC905495 - Taken by Purkake4. 7 entrants total.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

What a relaxing game! -- MB-E1A3F40FD9668824 - Taken by Hakkelus. 12 entrants total.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition HD -- MB-EBB6AF8FF346D9D7 - Taken by Ludens
Fractal Make Blooms Not War -- MB-1848EC34D8AF51A0 - Taken by Baron_Calamity

Congrats on the opportunity!
Just IMO.

Hide everything. Seriously. The less clutter out in the open the more you can focus on what you're playing and the less stress in general. Choose a few things to display that can get focus. The glass desk would be one. If you want to have art or posters have some that are artistic and not blown up box covers.

For example:
product_laudatesolis_itemview_1024x1024.png

Here

I need this

Ok, I'm a bit late to the party, but Shadowrun: Dragonfall is so good! I didn't play Shadowrun Returns, how would it be to play it after Dragonfall? Also how is Hongkong compared to Dragonfall?

Popular opinion is Dragonfall>HK>>>>>Returns.

Returns is a very different game mechanics and feel wise with weird saves, though I think they fixed a lot of it in later patches? Still a good game though but the addition of companions in the later two really worked.

Knurek

Maybe based Phil will make it a mandate to release all Win10 store games on Steam 3 months after release.

Let's just have an official X360 emulator with PC (not UWP) ports of Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon.
That's all I'm asking for. Really.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Maybe based Phil will make it a mandate to release all Win10 store games on Steam 3 months after release.

I can live with that. I see no reason for them to lock the sale of games to just UWP. Selling them in every store, while still requiring UWP would be the best option if they want to grow.

Phawx

EGA is 16 colors, so you're off by a magnitude of 14. Monkey Island was 8-bit colour (256 colours)--so I think the "old school" claim still applies.

Setting aside jpg compression, that looks to be <256 colours to me for sure. Especially given that they can set an arbitrary palette and aren't limited to a system palette.

Yea, I wrote this post way too late at night, When I wrote "let's just say" what I meat was regardless of limited palette, as a comparison to limited colors old games still looked really good despite the limitation.

In Farnham Fables, the paint bucket too was used in excess. Many scenes are just huge blocks of one color. Just void of detail.

Apologies for being unclear.

Interesting, let me check this out...

Z6FJjOR.gif

I'm not sure why there is lizard race at all

It's a bit like the wish fulfillment stuff some authors do.

Also, as an aside =m Friday Indiegala has ASTROKILL at $! tier. At that price, I can easily recommend.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

w5Bqht8.png

Mystery Game -- MB-E1A3F40FD9668824 - Taken by Hakkelus. 12 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Mystery Game was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1466181881z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mystery, but actually good -- MB-952D9B488F98B1CE - Taken by Cth. 5 entrants total.

t1466172761z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom