• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Banned
Daily Deal: Dreamfall Chapters, 66% Off (£8.15).

More than likely will have the same or less discount during the Summer Seal (I can't see a 75% discount for it until Winter Seal), so anyone dithering might want to jump on it.

I see your penchant for mindless posts hasnt gone away

Isnt space channel 2 an overall better game than one? Ive not played the series but what does 1 have that makes stand out from its successor

I think part of the problem with porting Space Channel 5 part 1 is that the levels are comprised almost entirely of FMV. You'd probably be forced to run the game at some 1992-era resolution just so it won't look like complete shit.

Tellaerin

Ok, you've piqued my interest.

Totally getting bad ratted.
Or worst, getting Mighty No. 9ed

Bad Rats is like one of those childhood diseases that you get once and become immune to. I've already been Ratsed, so I'm safe sticking my hand into the plague jar.

At least until Bad Rats Show hits, anyway... *shudder*

I think part of the problem with porting Space Channel 5 part 1 is that the levels are comprised almost entirely of FMV. You'd probably be forced to run the game at some 1992-era resolution just so it won't look like complete shit.

Couldn't they convert the animation data from the video sequences and render those in real time? A little work, sure, but...

...aw, who am I kidding? Sega can't even bother keeping the source code for their games, let alone animation data for prerendered video.

Messiah

What are some good rhythm games on Steam? I know of Crypt of the Necrodancer but that's pretty much it. Really feel like digging into something this weekend.
The Bit.Trip Runner games are fun.

Superstar Danceclub is a playstation one port and also pretty fun, although a bit short.

Sadly Steam in general is still a bit lacking when it comes to rhythm games. Hope that changes soon as it is one of my favourite genres.
Don't even mention the rockband crowdfunding

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So FFXV is running @ 800p on Xbox one. Not only are they releasing it on a console with barely any jrpg fans (and will sell terribly as a result) but they also are dragging performance of the game back 10 years into the past.

giphy.gif

FFS Square. How can they not announce a pc version and release it day n date? Makes me never want to support such an incompetent and out of touch company again.

It does seem like a very bad decision, agreed.

Tellaerin

FFS Square. How can they not announce a pc version and release it day n date? Makes me never want to support such an incompetent and out of touch company again.

Because PC's always been a secondary platform for the Japanese development side of S-E? Them handling things this way doesn't surprise me, and I'm not sure why anyone else would've expected any different.

SSPssp

Square needs time as always to bring FF to PC. I'm sure all the double-dipping doesn't give them any sense of urgency.

AHA-Lambda

Daily Deal: Dreamfall Chapters, 66% Off (£8.15).

More than likely will have the same or less discount during the Summer Seal (I can't see a 75% discount for it until Winter Seal), so anyone dithering might want to jump on it.

jesus christ, final episode out today and its 2/3 off

Plus its been bundled before and its a freebie on gog just now. This thing must've tanked hard.
And tbh its deserved, its such a step down from the previous games, and I have no faith they'll satisfactorily wrap up the story in the last episode cos lord knows bugger all has really happened in the previous 4

Corpekata

Banned
People overestimate the value (and volume) of double dippers on dedicated core sites like this.

It's a tiny niche. It can support something like Neptunia, and every once in a while something like Rockstar and Dark Souls comes out, but the majority of AAA games that sell well on PC are day and date, more or less.

Ludens

Banned
jesus christ, final episode out today and its 2/3 off

Plus its been bundled before and its a freebie on gog just now. This thing must've tanked hard.
And tbh its deserved, its such a step down from the previous games, and I have no faith they'll satisfactorily wrap up the story in the last episode cos lord knows bugger all has really happened in the previous 4
I'm waiting for episode 5 but is not released on Steam yet, only on GOG. :S

SSPssp

People overestimate the value (and volume) of double dippers on dedicated core sites like this.

It's a tiny niche. It can support something like Neptunia, and every once in a while something like Rockstar and Dark Souls comes out, but the majority of AAA games that sell well on PC are day and date, more or less.

I thought FF was one of those, guess I'm wrong.

Teggy

I wish I understood anything about game performance. I waded into the world of Skyrim mods for a few hours yesterday. All I really put on was:
HD textures
Better looking people and hair
Realvision ENB

I have a 6700K and 2xGTX780

At 1440P it was at 100% GPU on both cards and struggled to stay at around 50fps
At 1080P it was at around 75% GPU on both cards and stuck at 60fps pretty consistently

GPU usage was quite low and GPU memory was around 2GB (out of 3 available). Why the big difference? I certainly don't know.

Corpekata

Banned
I wish I understood anything about game performance. I waded into the world of Skyrim mods for a few hours yesterday. All I really put on was:
HD textures
Realvision ENB

At 1080P it was at around 75% GPU on both cards and stuck at 60fps pretty consistently

GPU usage was quite low and GPU memory was around 2GB (out of 3 available). Why the big difference? I certainly don't know.

Not sure why this is confusing.

The game is capped at 60 so it is not needing to use 100 percent at 1080, and 1440p is nearly 2x 1080, so of course it will run slightly worse if it's pinging your card at 100 percent and can't keep up.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of H1PSTER, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (H1PSTER, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Vd1j7n6.png

Mystery Game #9 -- MB-6D955AF9FB5530AE - Taken by Eila. 7 entrants total.
Mystery Game #8 -- MB-63FDB71EEC099703 - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 2 entrants total.
Mystery Game #3 -- MB-DFDB257647035731 - Taken by Shalashaska. 3 entrants total.
Mystery Game #2 -- MB-055BD38604934925 - Taken by Jadax. 4 entrants total.
Mystery Game #1 -- MB-94202560B6504B29 - Taken by hohoXD123. 4 entrants total.
Mystery Game #7 -- MB-60EC1BD1A5524E93 - Taken by chronomac. 11 entrants total.
Mystery Game #6 -- MB-D52DE029FE8C7468 - Taken by Stumpokapow. 10 entrants total.
Mystery Game #5 -- MB-ADF8AD33000511EE - Taken by bigzgod. 5 entrants total.
Mystery Game #4 -- MB-BE5DBA658D88573B - Taken by boybrushdRED. 6 entrants total.
Mystery Game #10 -- MB-A9FC7E770E25C655 - Taken by voodooray. 2 entrants total.

t1466192175z1.png

Ascheroth

Yep.
With a day and date release you can ask a higher price and use the marketing you have for your console version anyway.
With a late port you'll have to sell it cheaper and either finance new marketing or do a stealth release. I really doubt double dippers can offset this.

Unai

HD textures
Realvision ENB

Well, you're rendering 75% more pixels at 1440p so it's quite more heavy.

Teggy

Not sure why this is confusing.

The game is capped at 60 so it is not needing to use 100 percent at 1080, and 1440p is nearly 2x 1080, so of course it will run slightly worse if it's pinging your card at 100 percent and can't keep up.

Well, you're rendering 75% more pixels at 1440p so it's quite more heavy.

Well, just that I'm throwing quite a bit of power at a pretty old game. I didn't think going from 1080->1440 should require that much additional power, but I also don't know what kind of processing power requirements ENB adds to the game or how bigger textures affect things.

I don't have a great understanding of which levers cause the greatest additional power requirements.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well, just that I'm throwing quite a bit of power at a pretty old game. I didn't think going from 1080->1440 should require that much additional power, but I also don't know what kind of processing power requirements ENB adds to the game or how bigger textures affect things.

I don't have a great understanding of which levers cause the greatest additional power requirements.

Old game or not, 1080 -> 1440 is a huge jump in the number of pixels being rendered on the screen at once. With 1080p, you're pushing 2,073,600 pixels per frame. With 1440p you're pushing 3,686,400. That's in increase of 1,612,800 pixels (78% more than 1080p, almost double!).

A general rule of thumb with 1440p gaming is that you'll need twice the horsepower as you previously needed for 1080p, and that's assuming the game in question is optimized well enough and supports rendering at the higher resolution.

Teggy

Old game or not, 1080 -> 1440 is a huge jump in the number of pixels being rendered on the screen at once. With 1080p, you're pushing 2,073,600 pixels per frame. With 1440p you're pushing 3,686,400. That's in increase of 1,612,800 pixels (78% more than 1080p, almost double!).

A general rule of thumb with 1440p gaming is that you'll need twice the horsepower as you previously needed for 1080p, and that's assuming the game in question is optimized well enough and supports rendering at the higher resolution.

Interesting. If my 1080 would ever ship I could compare how it does at 1440p vs. the SLI setup.

Going to be a great month for me

Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus
Stranger of Sword City
Onechanbara Z2: Chaos
Zero Time Dilemma - I believe June 30 on Steam
God Eater 2 Rage Burst preorder and possibly Resurrection release at the end of the month.

Shame that No Man's Sky was delayed, but I can wait.

don't forget Va11 Hall-A

Kieli

Is anyone experiencing an issue where after Steam updates, you lose some of your installed games?

I know for a fact that the games are still in my Steam folder, but when I try to play them, I'm prompted to install them...

Messiah

Going to be a great month for me

Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus
Stranger of Sword City
Onechanbara Z2: Chaos
Zero Time Dilemma - I believe June 30 on Steam
God Eater 2 Rage Burst preorder and possibly Resurrection release at the end of the month.

Shame that No Man's Sky was delayed, but I can wait.
Any reason to believe that or just wishful thinking? I'd be all over that.

Lomax

Yep.
With a day and date release you can ask a higher price and use the marketing you have for your console version anyway.
With a late port you'll have to sell it cheaper and either finance new marketing or do a stealth release. I really doubt double dippers can offset this.

I agree double dippers are a minimal value, but PC is a long tail sales base, not front loaded. So over time double dippers become more significant. As for marketing, most late releases coincide with a "game of the year" type complete package that is being advertised anyway, plus the word of mouth of the game existing prior is just as valuable (probably more valuable) than short term advertising anyway.

But the reality, this is all supposition. We don't have real numbers, we don't know profit margins. We know expectations of day one releases are higher. We know the PC market is still vastly smaller than the console market, with a few exceptions.

Personally, I think late releases are better for consumers, and my feeling is they are just as good as day one releases for companies in the long run, but I don't have the numbers to back that up. I'd love to see a good analysis of it done but the game industry is so stingy with numbers that seems unlikely to ever happen.

SSPssp

Y i buy dis

ModBot said:
Instructions for SSPssp:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Wyatt Derp -- MB-E8887F24B1BEE431 - Taken by trailmix16

Tizoc

So you're saying Sega is known for good business decisions?

It's true sega has been having a few years with their financials were not satisfactory to them, yet they manage to cover that in following years.
Seeing as they hadn't gone bankrupt yet and that SEGA of Japan doesn't find its financials in a very bad position, they would have to be doing something right with their business decisions.
Not that you care, cuz really all we care about is getting more of those SEGA classics already.

A release of the first Space Channel game wouldn't even cause a ripple-
In the 5 years since its release, SC5 Part 2 has 250K owners
http://steamspy.com/app/71260

This is from being bundled as well. The release of the first game would not be a major deal breaker of an form, though it'd be nice to be able to preserve it via Steam.

Interesting, but the game got released on PS2 right? How does it look emulated at least?
I tried playing one of the older Tex Murphy games and the cutscenes went loco.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Write, on a column’s midst, this verse, worthy of me but brief, so the traveller, hurrying, from the city, might read:
HERE IN TIBUR’S EARTH LIES CYNTHIA THE GOLDEN:
ANIO FRESH PRAISE IS ADDED TO YOUR SHORES.​
And don’t deny the dreams that come through sacred gateways: when sacred dreams come, they carry weight. By night we suffer, wandering, night frees the imprisoned spirits, and his cage abandoned Cerberus himself strays. At dawn the law demands return to the pools of Lethe: we are borne across, and the ferryman counts the load he’s carried.
Now, let others have you: soon I alone will hold you: you’ll be with me, I’ll wear away the bone joined with bone.’
After she’d ended, in complaint, her quarrel with me her shadow swiftly slipped from my embrace.

FoneBone

Ninja Blade isn't worth it unless you just want to watch some cool cutscenes.

-The protagonist is a dork.
-It plays like God of War lite.
-Trying to run the game at 60 FPS breaks a lot of critical stuff (like wall-running).
-Repetitive

The only highlight is that the President from Metal Wolf Chaos makes an appearance. He should have been the main character.
---
Yaiba still doesn't work for me, but I don't have the heart to attempt a refund.

Strider 2014 is decent, but it's also bland, by the numbers, and lacks personality.
Review

---
Mark of the Ninja is probably great, but I have no stomach for stealth games.
I kinda enjoyed what I played of Ninja Blade (dumb fun with really, really over-the-top QTEs), but the real dealbreaker for me was the lack of any mid-level save points- and the levels aren't particularly short.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Avatar change time? Avatar change time.

Game 52: Picross DS - started on 19.04.2016, finished on 17.06.2016 (43:13) - ★★★★★

Nice work! I got a few new games finished last weekend, which (sadly) only brought me up to being current if I'm going for 1 game a week this year. I'm still determined to finish the challenge again though.

Dead Rising 4 comes to Steam 3 months later.

Oh, nice. Was expecting to wait much longer.

Aw shucks. Sorry to hear bud. At least it's not a total sudden failure and you're still able to backup all files.

Yes, there's that at least. Gaming became really bad in a matter of a day or two, though. Constant freezes of 5-30 seconds, missing sound effects and music, lag...

One annoying part will be reinstalling and redownloading everything back. Like that massive The Witcher 3 download... although, if this hdd will still work after receive the new one I guess I could copy paste the game folder and hope it will work fine.

Knurek

One annoying part will be reinstalling and redownloading everything back. Like that massive The Witcher 3 download... although, if this hdd will still work after receive the new one I guess I could copy paste the game folder and hope it will work fine.

Moving data from my faulty 2TB drive to my new 4TB one.
One file so far was not readable. Hopefully no more than that. :|

I thought FF was one of those, guess I'm wrong.

As far as I remember, there was never a FF PC port that was released day and date with console. Heck, even the FFIX on PC was delayed for the sake of mobile release first. FF on PC is always aimed at double dippers. With the exception of the mmo ones, of course.

I was wondering why I deleted Hearthstone from my phone, since it's such a polished, deep, easy in/out experience.

So, I redownloaded it and remembered exactly how lopsided it can be when you're working with a free deck. Ugh.

Hand of Fate is pretty good, though? How long do the matches run? Hearthstone's matches are short by nature, but I remember some Magic: The Gathering (actual cards, not digital versions) matches lasting obscenely long with reshuffle cards and healing.

Moving data from my faulty 2TB drive to my new 4TB one.
One file so far was not readable. Hopefully no more than that. :|

Steam will download it as soon as you try to start the game though, right?

Also, I'm not entirely sure how the Steam Cloud works. All the games that support it will download the save files along with the game itself, I'm assuming? And in this case, if I start a backed up game will it also download the saves from the cloud as soon as I try to boot it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom