• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gelf

Today I got a native PC copy of Super Puzzle Figher 2 Turbo at my buddy's game-focused garage sale. I didn't know this version existed. Super hype! I can't get it to install/run though. Bummer.
Wow I never knew this existed. Another to the list of Japanese games that have PC versions that could be fixed up for current systems and made available digitally but are instead left to rot.

Pixieking

Banned
Do you know if Wildstar and Warframe keys can unlock Steam cards for those titles?
I don't wanna download 20 GB of stuff just to discover I can't unlock cards.

Can you not check on your Badges page to see if it lists them as having Cards Remaining? Or does that not work for F2P games?

Ludens

Banned
Can you not check on your Badges page to see if it lists them as having Cards Remaining? Or does that not work for F2P games?

I didn't redeem the code, because you need to do it in-game and I don't wanna download the full thing without being sure it will work. Anyway those are the keys if you wanna try it, guys, good luck. I noticed those DLCs provide some of the things available in the paid Steam DLCs, so they could work, but who knows.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

WildStar E3 Pack -- MB-7DF32FAACA8A07FC - Taken by Dance Inferno
Neverwinter Adventurer's Helper Pack Plus Exclusive Lord of the Labyrinth Title -- MB-D942DB2CB7481218
Warframe PC Booster Pack -- MB-D39FD83ACCF77D38 - Taken by Chairmanchuck
Armoured Warfare E3 Pack -- MB-F9B066BD460DF886 - Taken by demolitio
Pathfinder Adventures - 40 Chests -- MB-E773897C5B7877C3 - Taken by Gez

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
you guys actually have g-sync monitors

mother fuckers

I wish there were 1080p IPS variants. I can't go back to TN after realising how relatively awful the colour reproduction is and single-GPU performance at 1440p isn't quite where I'd like it to be/multi-GPU support is currently in an unreliable spot.

derExperte

Godus Designer fired 3 months ago. Godus officially abandoned.

A source from inside the studio has confirmed that Konrad (FuriousMoo) is no longer employed by 22cans. He was in fact already gone by the time colin22cans was made redundant, although not long before. As far as is clear at this time, he did not choose to leave on his own accord, meaning he was "made redundant" as well. As for where he is now and what he is doing, the situation remains unclear.

Not long after the release of Godus Wars, the brunt of the Godus team was moved over to the Trail, at least everyone with knowledge of Unity. The Trail purportedly is a walking simulator with nice looking art but very little substance.

I wish there were 1080p IPS variants. I can't go back to TN after realising how relatively awful the colour reproduction is and single-GPU performance at 1440p isn't quite where I'd like it to be/multi-GPU support is currently in an unreliable spot.
GTX1080 works alright, and G-Sync is there to deal with the variable framerate.

And I believe Acer showed a 1080p G-Sync monitor at Computex this year.

Ozium

NeglectedGreenBobolink.gif

JaseC

Yes, I have edited. Just want to let you know that GTX1080 at 1440p is very viable.

Oh, I've looked at the numbers. eBay AU had (and has) a 20% off tech discount, so I was toying with the idea of picking up a XH270HU/XB271HU. Maybe the 1080 Ti will convince me to make the change.

Oh, I've looked at the numbers. eBay AU had (and has) a 20% off tech discount, so I was toying with the idea of picking up a XH270HU/XB271HU. Maybe the 1080 Ti will convince me to make the change.
You're going to replace 1080 with Ti version when it comes around?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I played some nepnep. It's... different.

Aside from the weird animu stuff and efforts to be funny, it definitely seems fully designed to grind away at battles to farm items that unlock new items, many of which you probably don't need since you're fighting so many battles as it is. Very JRPG. I'm not fully certain how character turns are determined, though. Sometimes enemies randomly interject between the two characters, sometimes one of the characters gets to go twice. It's weird.

I think I'd rather go with Trails in the Sky for now.

JaseC

You're going to replace 1080 with Ti version when it comes around?

Yeah, I intend to continue moving on to the next big thing that isn't a Titan. 980 -> 980 Ti (although I really should have bought a Ti in the first place) -> 1080 -> 1080 Ti -> etc. Selling my previous GPU recoups most of the cost.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I had no idea there was a 1440p 144hz G-Sync IPS in existence. Daaaaaaaamn!

Coreda

I realized yesterday I have no idea how VR presents cutscenes.

How are cuts in scenes handled? Do they just transition like regular shots but with a movable head camera in the position of what would normally be a static camera?

If so it would have to be jarring for one moment to be at head height, then another in the sky, then perhaps on the floor, or inside a wardrobe all while having the sense of being 'there'.

Ascheroth

Aside from the weird animu stuff and efforts to be funny, it definitely seems fully designed to grind away at battles to farm items that unlock new items, many of which you probably don't need since you're fighting so many battles as it is. Very JRPG. I'm not fully certain how character turns are determined, though. Sometimes enemies randomly interject between the two characters, sometimes one of the characters gets to go twice. It's weird.

Character turns are influenced by how many actions you take. If a character only moves its next turn comes sooner, same thing with the combos, if you do only one attack with a character its next turn comes sooner then if you would do two attacks, etc.
If I don't remember it wrong.

It's a fun B-grade JRPG with a gazillion stuff to unlock of which you probably don't 'need' even a quarter of, because it's extremely easy to overlevel and then any semblence of challenge it might have had goes out of the window.

Though, if you have to choose between it and Trails, the answer will be Trails 10/10 times.
But there's one thing games can learn from it: The ability to just outright skip all attack animations with the press of a button should be in every long turn-based game.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm buying the 1070. The people's rig! I'm also on a 1080p 144hz gsync monitor so I doubt I'll really need the 1080 for most stuff

Ludens

Banned
Well, I completed Dreamfall Chapters. I literally waited for this game to be released for years, but I'm VERY disappointed. Yeah, there are a couple of good visuals, some good ideas, but that's it, nothing else.
The game was very boring to play, pacing is awful, chapter 5 is also basically a serie of cutscenes and you interact a three or four time. But the problem is the plot for me was very weak.
First, there are too many plot holes. Literally. And since of course writers of the game know this, in the end the ended up telling "We'll explain you everything, we promise it", but the game ends and you get no explanations.
For example,
Saga. Who is she? Is she April reborn?Her parents, what happened to them? Why she is so important? Saga ended being literally a deus ex machina, otherwise the game won't be concluded. And all the facts end with a "because it's all written, deal with it". So poor, really. Saga's sections were awful to play, just a collection of "find the item in the house", nothing else. Also, does the game ends with a loop? It seems so, considering April in the end, for some reason, is alive. It's her echo? Is she real? We don't know, but the game basically loops to reconnect with Longest Journey. Characters die, but a second later they are still alive. It's all so confusing.

I loved The Longest Journey, it's actually one of my favourite point and click, I remember I passed months on it.
I liked Dreamfall too, even if not like its prequel, but it was good, interesting, somewhat innovative, since it was pretty different from other point and clicks of that time.
Dreamfall Chapters is just boring, with a couple of good ideas lost in a sea of nothing, with the gameplay very poor when it tries to be a "game" (find all manholes in the city and stuff like that, as I wrote in the spoiler), and a terrible pacing when it tries to tell a story. Also another disappointing thing is there's one and only one ending, no matter what choices you did in book 1-4, you end up with the same ending anyway.
I surely regretted my pre-order purchase, even considering the game was discounted up to 66% off much later, bundled and even given for free. For sure it's worth if you loved April, Zoe and the first two titles, just to see "how it ends", but if you never played the other chapters, please don't start from Chapters, because you will hate the franchise.

Knurek

I'm buying the 1070. The people's rig! I'm also on a 1080p 144hz gsync monitor so I doubt I'll really need the 1080 for most stuff

I was thinking of buying one as well, but with the current price jacking, there's hardly any need to do so (I'd be getting 150% of my 970's power for 175% the price).

Pachimari

Virtually all of the 1440p monitors with G-Sync are 144Hz+ and IPS.
Thanks for clarifying that to me Jase. :)

Well, I completed Dreamfall Chapters. I literally waited for this game to be released for years, but I'm VERY disappointed. Yeah, there are a couple of good visuals, some good ideas, but that's it, nothing else.
The game was very boring to play, pacing is awful, chapter 5 is also basically a serie of cutscenes and you interact a three or four time. But the problem is the plot for me was very weak.
First, there are too many plot holes. Literally. And since of course writers of the game know this, in the end the ended up telling "We'll explain you everything, we promise it", but the game ends and you get no explanations.
For example,
Saga. Who is she? Is she April reborn?Her parents, what happened to them? Why she is so important? Saga ended being literally a deus ex machina, otherwise the game won't be concluded. And all the facts end with a "because it's all written, deal with it". So poor, really. Saga's sections were awful to play, just a collection of "find the item in the house", nothing else. Also, does the game ends with a loop? It seems so, considering April in the end, for some reason, is alive. It's her echo? Is she real? We don't know, but the game basically loops to reconnect with Longest Journey. Characters die, but a second later they are still alive. It's all so confusing.

I loved The Longest Journey, it's actually one of my favourite point and click, I remember I passed months on it.
I liked Dreamfall too, even if not like its prequel, but it was good, interesting, somewhat innovative, since it was pretty different from other point and clicks of that time.
Dreamfall Chapters is just boring, with a couple of good ideas lost in a sea of nothing, with the gameplay very poor when it tries to be a "game" (find all manholes in the city and stuff like that, as I wrote in the spoiler), and a terrible pacing when it tries to tell a story. Also another disappointing thing is there's one and only one ending, no matter what choices you did in book 1-4, you end up with the same ending anyway.
I surely regretted my pre-order purchase, even considering the game was discounted up to 66% off much later, bundled and even given for free. For sure it's worth if you loved April, Zoe and the first two titles, just to see "how it ends", but if you never played the other chapters, please don't start from Chapters, because you will hate the franchise.
This is really sad to hear. I might still go through the first two games in the series though.

I got Acer's XB271HU yesterday.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

I've got an Acer myself. I'm mostly happy with it, but that splash screen and energy star logo whenever you turn it on...so zetta slow! Shouldn't take ten seconds to get the monitor going.
But this doesn't sound good at all.

---

Mafia 1 continues to be great and ooze of atmosphere. Gunplay still feels good today, and driving is fine. I'm at the racing mission now.

Ludens

Banned
Thanks for clarifying that to me Jase. :)

This is really sad to hear. I might still go through the first two games in the series though.

Mafia 1 continues to be great and ooze of atmosphere. Gunplay still feels good today, and driving is fine. I'm at the racing mission now.

The Longest Journey is simply amazing, you NEED to play that one, expecially if you already own it. Dreamfall is very good too, but TOTALLY different from TLJ. It has a couple of annoying thing, but overall a good game. Don't give up on those because of Chapters.

PaulSane

It's definitely a B-tier JRPG franchise, but a good one at that in my opinion. Not in the meaning "It's so bad it's good", i genuinely like these games for what they are. Although gameplay and stories are pretty straightforward and simple, i still find those enjoyable enough. The things that stand out for me in these games are great art, and especially superb voicework.
Neptunia games definitely have some flaws, even big ones, but for some people, myself included, good things about them outweigh those flaws. Also, it's really easy to conclude whether it would be a good idea to commit to playing Neptunia games within first 1-2 hours of playing, since that's what you'll be getting in all installments of this franchise (at least in the main games, not including spinoffs).

Pachimari

The Longest Journey is simply amazing, you NEED to play that one, expecially if you already own it. Dreamfall is very good too, but TOTALLY different from TLJ. It has a couple of annoying thing, but overall a good game. Don't give up on those because of Chapters.

I played Dreamfall before and loved it to bits but never got that far. I'll probably buy The Longest Journey on my iPad Pro and play it on there at night.

Gartikker

I've played the first two and can't imagine not trying the Chapters, considering the way Dreamfall ended. I've waited for all the parts to come out, so i hope i wont totally end up hating it. The impressions have been mixed to say the least.

Hyper Light Drifter, man.

It's like a deconstructed Link to the Past. It has these Fez elements of puzzle upon puzzle, bursting with all of the things the game just won't tell you. The combat gets thrown at you at times in an almost arena way, like Smash TV with no game show and unclear stakes.

The story is oblique. The graphics are pure bit impressionism. And the soundtrack would be the best thing of the year if it weren't for Stardew Valley's; it goes miles for setting the mood, moody and somber but still sounding like "exploration" if it were a sound.

This is hitting the right notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom