• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasm

heh I just started MM myself. Game runs surprisingly well on my ancient machine. Didn't have to turn stuff down and for most part boosted some stuff.

Anteater

Went back to Mad Max after leaving id midway when Dark Souls 3 came out. Took me a little while to get used to its pacing and combat but I remember why I liked it shortly. It's a fun game. And beautiful.

I like that game, it's like ass creed that i actually like, maybe it's the driving, like mafia 2

Few of us here. Mine shall be here Wednesday/Thursday

tumblr_mjd04ibdur1r2s8gs7a.gif

that spiderman game on ps4 looks cool

Tellaerin

It's definitely a B-tier JRPG franchise, but a good one at that in my opinion. Not in the meaning "It's so bad it's good", i genuinely like these games for what they are. Although gameplay and stories are pretty straightforward and simple, i still find those enjoyable enough. The things that stand out for me in these games are great art, and especially superb voicework.
Neptunia games definitely have some flaws, even big ones, but for some people, myself included, good things about them outweigh those flaws. Also, it's really easy to conclude whether it would be a good idea to commit to playing Neptunia games within first 1-2 hours of playing, since that's what you'll be getting in all installments of this franchise (at least in the main games, not including spinoffs).

Unfortunately, what I've gotten in my first hour or so has been two lockups in the first area where the enemy refuses to attack and the game just sits there. : / I put it down after that and haven't been back to it. Haven't decided whether I want to go back to it and deal with the potential frustration (I've read changing the priority of the game's process to "high" helps) or just uninstall and move on to another RPG for now.

Grief.exe

Today I got a native PC copy of Super Puzzle Figher 2 Turbo at my buddy's game-focused garage sale. I didn't know this version existed. Super hype!.

Post some screenshots!

Ican't get it to install/run though. Bummer

Damn.

Hyper Light Drifter, man.

It's like a deconstructed Link to the Past. It has these Fez elements of puzzle upon puzzle, bursting with all of the things the game just won't tell you. The combat gets thrown at you at times in an almost arena way, like Smash TV with no game show and unclear stakes.

The story is oblique. The graphics are pure bit impressionism. And the soundtrack would be the best thing of the year if it weren't for Stardew Valley's; it goes miles for setting the mood, moody and somber but still sounding like "exploration" if it were a sound.

This is hitting the right notes.

This year.

So many games.

wilflare

I wish there were 1080p IPS variants. I can't go back to TN after realising how relatively awful the colour reproduction is and single-GPU performance at 1440p isn't quite where I'd like it to be/multi-GPU support is currently in an unreliable spot.

34inch Curved 1080p ones would be nice (or a 21:9 aspect ratio one)
but oh well

hohoXD123

I wish there were 1080p IPS variants. I can't go back to TN after realising how relatively awful the colour reproduction is and single-GPU performance at 1440p isn't quite where I'd like it to be/multi-GPU support is currently in an unreliable spot.

Unless if you're aiming for high FPS AAA games, what's wrong with current high end single GPUs at 1440p?

Post some screenshots!

Damn.

This year.

So many games.
Grief, he has a copy of Pandora Tomorrow too. The elusive.

Tons of stuff like old Swat games, Kings Quests, Final Fantasy Vii, almost every Sim building game, The Movies, Black and White, Indiana Jones, Freedom Fighters. It was like Gog's closet. I'm going to get The Thing from him later.

Vuze

34inch Curved 1080p ones would be nice (or a 21:9 aspect ratio one)
but oh well
I think there are 35" curved 21:9 1080p monitors but my stomach turns at the mere thought of 2560x1080 pixels stretched to that size yuck

Especially considering the incredible pricing.

PaulSane

Unfortunately, what I've gotten in my first hour or so has been two lockups in the first area where the enemy refuses to attack and the game just sits there. : / I put it down after that and haven't been back to it. Haven't decided whether I want to go back to it and deal with the potential frustration (I've read changing the priority of the game's process to "high" helps) or just uninstall and move on to another RPG for now.

Yeah, that's a known problem which affects some people, too bad IFI didn't go back to fix this yet, and it looks like they won't in the near future or at all, being busy with another port right now. I haven't had a single crash or lockup in my 80+ hours with RB1, and i was using GeDoSaTo all the time too. As far as i know, RB2 and RB3 don't have gamebreaking bugs like this (RB3 had one before, but it had an universal workaround, and it may have been patched).

wilflare

I think there are 35" curved 21:9 1080p monitors but my stomach turns at the mere thought of 2560x1080 pixels stretched to that size yuck

Especially considering the incredible pricing.

:( oh well...
(question though... how do large TVs maintain the quality despite a 1080p resolution)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm playing Umbrella Corps with a couple friends when it comes out, will post my impressions here when they've settled. And of course pre-order Resident Evil 7 & REmake 2 the moment they become available.

I obviously have a thing for horror (I make that abundantly clear), but I actually also have a big thing for co-op and other genres too. Resident Evil being horror or action (or some hybrid) has never bothered me personally, and for a horror enthusiast, I have pretty broad taste on the genre (many only like a few specific types of horror that appeal to them). My only weakness as a horror fan is I'm not super big on 'shock horror' (movies that's main appeal is to try and shock/disgust the viewer), and I am particular about revenge flicks, and have to be in the right mood for point'n'clicks, but I am pretty open to trying new experiences.

I do agree, even away from this, many gamers are so much against change it's almost a bit sad. You will notice the thing that upsets the most vocal gamers will be something they liked being changed, that will almost always cause the biggest outcry, and does establish many would rather be in a comfortable place than try to broaden their minds/tastes outside of this thing they liked, regardless of how good the game that comes out of it is most of the time. Many gamers just seem to fear change just for change itself, and that's a shame.

neonglow

Enjoy some Artifex Mundi games!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (neonglow, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood -- MB-E9E17C82BC6E8CBE - Taken by Kuroyume. 5 entrants total.
Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek -- MB-AA5B047EC3D9DF4F - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.
Time Mysteries: Inheritance - Remastered -- MB-9B0AA0CCA1828607 - Taken by Vuze. 2 entrants total.
Time Mysteries 2: The Ancient Spectres -- MB-6C24D7DC340BC861 - Taken by dave is ok. 3 entrants total.
Left in the Dark: No One on Board -- MB-7AB74BC735340992 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 5 entrants total.
Time Mysteries 3: The Final Enigma -- MB-8BBA2C1800549896 - Taken by fuzzy123. 7 entrants total.

t1466369705z1.png

Dusk Golem

I've got a bit of time today before I do some Father's Day things, think I'll do a few write-ups for horror games I've played. I need to do more write-ups on some of these games, I definitely have thoughts.

Dusk Golem

I'm not sure I ever posted this review I did here, so I'll start with this, about to do a few write-ups.

Left Alone

Left Alone is a first-person psychological horror-puzzle game about a man named Joel who was left by his family while in a coma, and has found himself in a miserable life where his only real companions are two friends he made while he was at war (where he earned a medal of honor). He's an ex-soldier now, and with his only real friends returning from their overseas stay, the three of them agree to go camping and fishing to reunite, relax, and share stories. However, things go south when his two friends arrive there before him and get trapped in a nearby abandoned school...

This game was much better than I anticipated it to be. To be honest it doesn't give the best first impression, and there's roughness about the title (some objects and models you can clip and walk right through being the biggest thing), but this game nails what it sets out to do.

ss_a582c11a92fd3905587a2efb4f72a89e997a9eee.600x338.jpg

This game actually completely unnerved me. I wasn't expecting it to, I am a horror veteran who has played all eras of the genre, and I've gotten harder to scare over time. And it doesn't accomplish this with jump scares or cheap tactics, it has some excellent sound design and slowly builds up a really thick atmosphere and creepy antagonist. You read about the people before you, and small things happen as you explore. It got to the point where I started feeling incredibly paranoid, and I admit I got completely spooked for a good 10 minutes. Rare for me, and worth bringing up.

Which also highlights the game's excellent sound design and slow burn elements. Sound brings a lot to horror, and they nailed it here. The music is appropriately spooky, as are the sounds, and most fit with the scenes so well I hardly noticed them, and yet they succeeded in unnerving me. Really helped the immersion factor, and knew when to go quiet too.

And this is to be said; the game is a bit slow. It builds up its scenario, you spend some time exploring rooms. And the game has puzzles, some relatively challenging ones at that. There were a couple points I was stuck at a puzzle for 10-15 minutes before eventually solving it; none are really too hard once you figure them out, but many give you cryptic or little information you need to piece together to figure out the solution.

ss_d7c8a869b434732c9f1a379362312c4848dea031.600x338.jpg

With all of this comes a rather nice story, though I will admit while the ending wasn't bad I kind of wished they would of explored it more.

There's not a whole lot more for me to say on the game. It's a fantastic psychological atmosphere piece with some great mood, cryptic puzzles, and builds itself up nicely. If that sounds up your alley, I'd recommend it.

---

STREAM REVIEW LINK: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AestheticGamer/recommended/417750/

mp1990

Banned
People like to blame RE4, blame Code Veronica and 0.
Can't talk for 0, but CV is great, although a tad too unbalanced.

Also, I don't see what's to blame in the series, if it wasn't for the turn it took into the action genre, we wouldn't have one of the best action games ever made.

EDIT: ohhh now I get what you're talking about. Still disagree that it was a mistake to take the action approach, though, as it brought us so many great games.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
People like to blame RE4, blame Code Veronica and 0.

I really don't get this. Each passing entry was more of an action title.

RE2 was more focused on action, 3 even more so. CV came around, again, it was less about scares and more on puzzles/action. 4 just really gave us the formula that made it worked perfectly, but the direction of the series has always been moving more towards an action title.

OmarYusaf

Also, I don't see what's to blame in the series, if it wasn't for the turn it took into the action genre, we wouldn't have one of the best action games ever made.

I really don't get this. Each passing entry was more of an action title.

RE2 was more focused on action, 3 even more so. CV came around, again, it was less about scares and more on puzzles/action. 4 just really gave us the formula that made it worked perfectly, but the direction of the series has always been moving more towards an action title.

Maybe he meant their relative lack of success which prompted RE4 to be more actiony, and ITS subsequent megasuccess.

Maybe he meant their relative lack of success which prompted RE4 to be more actiony, and ITS subsequent megasuccess.
That and that they were both mediocre games. REmake was amazing but 2/3 of the games in that style at the time were meh... No wonder they shook it up for 4.

I love 4. I just wish they kept similar to it instead of going balls out and ruining it. 5 is fun too but not as much as 4.

Momentary

Banned
Biohazard.... Resident Evil has nothing to do with the game. That's just some shit they slapped on to it because of foreseeable copy right issues.

Vuze

:( oh well...
(question though... how do large TVs maintain the quality despite a 1080p resolution)
I assume you don't sit about or less than 1m away from your >40"+ TV :p
Speaking for myself anyway. I've seen a 27" 1080p panel in person and the pixel density already left a lot to desire imo, so I imagine a 35" panel would be pretty damn bad

Knurek

My reaction to Root Double Route D so far:

Honestly people, get this game if you have any interest in a sci-fi mindfuck VN. Maybe during Summer Seal?

Dusk Golem

The Town of Light

The Town of Light is a first-person exploration psychological horror game about a woman named Renée, who after many years returns to old mental asylum she spent her teenage years at and reflects both on her past, and her present. During the process, the game deals with a number of interesting, but disturbing, themes in explicit detail, ranging from the sense of identity of self from going through such an experience, if you can truly feel like you're you in a situation where the world tells you who you are is wrong, sexual identity and exploration in a locked-in facility, and being taken advantage of in a number of ways when people try to exploit and empower themselves through your lack of ability to defend yourself.

If any of what I just said peaks your interest, I would recommend checking it out. It's a narrative-based journey, and it explores its themes with a level of tact and maturity, but also know it doesn't censor itself and there is graphical details that many may not be comfortable with or want to experience. As a narrative, it succeeds, not to be shocking, revolting, or even specifically to shake you up, but it simply tells a series of true stories and scenarios people experienced in mental asylums in the early 1900s, specifically that in Italy, and the sad fact the scars these places left on the people inside to make it the only place many of them ever knew as a home. The narrative is mostly straight-forward, and there is but one ending, but there is actually a few branching paths and sections with different levels or variations of levels in the second half of the game based on some gameplay choices you make.

ss_05ddc0a737b1eeeb9e655e355672590191d80a88.600x338.jpg

It is also worth noting the game does well with its audio, maybe with the exception of voice acting (which is a little rough, but also not very frequent), but the music fits the moods of the scenes well, with a few stand-out tracks. Ambiance is also ripe in the title, and there are all sorts of small yet interesting environmental sounds.

Now, while what it does narratively I feel it succeeds at, I think it does have a few rough edges. Graphically it is a bit uneven, with some areas looking pretty good, and some coming off as quite rough. The game isn't always entirely clear in what you need to do next, which will lead to moments where you may spend some time wandering, looking for whatever it is you missed. Take so long, and she'll tell you directly where to go (and you can enable choice hints to activate at any time), but it feels there could of been some clearer and more intuitive ways to do this. I also feel some people will not be satisfied by the ending, as it does seem to come a bit abruptly and not really climax well to the point, but I liked it for what it was and the sort of story it was trying to tell.

ss_a4f8d151500e30829f9501c4761cbfb5361d335e.600x338.jpg

Also do know the game has some graphic depictions. It doesn't shy away from these really detailed and gruesome pictures of how to perform surgery, everything from dissecting a hand, to peeling back the layers of someone's skull. They're morbid, and not all will swallow these old procedures in visual detail well. Likewise, the game doesn't shy away from the graphical depiction of nudity and sexual harassment/abuse. Worth noting, but also know it does handle these themes with a level of tact and doesn't use them for shock value.

In the end, what the game should be experienced for is its narrative. There are interesting scenes and a few light puzzles, but it goes to put you in the shoes of a woman coming to terms with herself, and on that front, I feel it succeeds. It is very much a walking simulator with light gameplay elements and puzzles, and a few scenes of surrealism edge you go through, but it stays mostly grounded and explores an unfortunate history. If that's what you're looking for, there is a lot to like here, and its execution is mostly well done, and both explores its story and history with respect, yet doesn't shy away from some of the harder to swallow details. Yet, despite the harshness of it, it also gives off a strangely warm vibe in an overall sense. An interesting journey for those who want a narrative-driven exploration game.

---

STEAM REVIEW LINK: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AestheticGamer/recommended/433100/

Hektor

I wouldn't go that far, but Resi6 sure was a pretty cool game.

I backed it. Will play it after my exams... And after Zero Time Dilemma... And after my trip :")

Say%20No%20to%20Drugs.jpg

Teggy

I can not tell a lie, I modded pretty ladies into my Skyrim. It was too easy, all I had to do is press a button! How could I not?

I left their normal Skyrim clothes on though
for now

And my player character is cat man.

Did they name that game by throwing magnetic poetry at the floor? Come on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom