• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2016 - Dear Valve, E3 is here, please release Ricochet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Hood

Banned
So I'm getting impatient waiting for a Dark Souls III sale (I mean, it basically just came out, but still..) so I've been looking at some external sellers. I've found one for €29 that's out of its seal but the Steam code isn't used yet because "he couldn't complete the installation on his inferior hardware". Does that sound legit? He seems reliable enough.

Played some house of the dead 4 earlier at the arcade and was wondering are the pc house of the dead ports available on any digital platform atm?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I played and finished the Brave game I got from some Disney pack, between yesterday and today. Really short, a little below 4 hours. It's surprisingly fun, a strange mix of 3D platformer and twin-stick shooter. It can also get a bit hard at times, at least on the third difficulty (out of 4), though it's very forgiving when it comes to checkpoints.

I also started Trials of the Blood Dragon today, and so far it's awesome. Power Glove nailed the soundtrack once again. Loving the aesthetics and humor, which are similar to that of the original game. Of course, this plays nothing like that one, with TotBD being some kind of Trials game with a BD skin. It has some nice variety, with different vehicles to control, ability to shoot guns and even some on-foot platforming sections. I'm very glad with the purchase, at least for now.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I'm getting impatient waiting for a Dark Souls III sale (I mean, it basically just came out, but still..) so I've been looking at some external sellers. I've found one for €29 that's out of its seal but the Steam code isn't used yet because "he couldn't complete the installation on his inferior hardware". Does that sound legit? He seems reliable enough.
1) The summer sale is almost here.
2) Dude is full of shit. You don't install a Steam game, have it check your hardware, and then add the license to your account if it's all good. You add the code so the license is on your account then install.

Red Hood

Banned
1) The summer sale is almost here.
2) Dude is full of shit. You don't install a Steam game, have it check your hardware, and then add the license to your account if it's all good. You add the code so the license is on your account then install.

I thought as much :( I even asked him about that specifically, and he assured me the code is unused. Oh well, good thing I asked here before.

Seeing as how I don't expect more than 25% off at best during the Summer Sale, the wait continues.

MazeHaze

Banned
I just upgraded to a 4k tv, and luckily my 980 can run a bunch of games at 4k 60 fps (not new AAA obviously). My problem is just that when in 4k, the mouse doesn't feel very good since there are way more pixels. Is this something I will get used to? I usually play with the highest dpi setting my logitech has, windows mouse speed at 6, and this is absolutely perfect at 1080p, 4k it feels a little sluggish and it kind of gives me motion sickness in fps. Do I need a new mouse for 4k? It's a logitech g something gaming mouse.

Have a 5 year old, 9 year old, and 18 year old.

Youngest loves her Mario and anything lego. My 9 year old loves his Terraria/Minecraft. Oldest plays pretty much anything, but loves her indies especially.

Also, HFD to you as well! Also to the rest of the dads in here.
Thanks! Did you try to do the retro console/emulation thing for any of them? The oldest saw most of it as current anyway I suppose.

Momentary

Banned
I've heard 4k TVs are laggy for gaming. If you use a controller does it still feel laggy? Does it have a game mode?

I was looking at that new state of the art OMG LG glass TV people are flipping shit over and it has over 30ms of lag. That would cause me to elbow drop my coffee table in two. I couldn't play a fighting game or twitch based anything on somthing like that.

r3n4ud

Thanks! Did you try to do the retro console/emulation thing for any of them? The oldest saw most of it as current anyway I suppose.
Ah ya. Have an nes and snes hooked up and kids play them regularly. They all like playing with the classic controllers. As I tell them, back then was simpler times!

Eila

I was looking at that new state of the art OMG LG glass TV people are flipping shit over and it has over 30ms of lag. That would cause me to elbow drop my coffee table in two. I couldn't play a fighting game or twitch based anything on somthing like that.

Haha my TV has 55 ms lag, and that's in game mode. I have beaten plenty of hard games on it so I guess it's a matter of getting used to it.
I imagine it's hard to get back to it after enjoying a low latency monitor, though.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Last year, we had this:

CRfrft2.gif

This year, I have another idea to make a new Steam Sale .gif, anyone want to help me out?

https://streamable.com/d6f2

or

https://twitter.com/Fobwashed/status/743650129945649152

Khronico

Already spent pretty much all my steam sale money on animu ps4/vita games, xcom 2 and GOG stuff

Oh well, my list of must buys is pretty short
which probably won't stop me from buying too many games

Thanks to Shade's generosity, I've got impressions for Time Mysteries 3: The Final Enigma:

The story: Once again, you play magical time-traveller Esther Ambrose (the protagonist from Time Mysteries 2) and in the bonus chapter, you play technological time-traveller "Michael" from Time Mysteries 1 (I believe in the future, last names are dispensed with. Or maybe he's Burmese. It's not quite clear.) Anyway, Esther discovers that the eternal thorn in the Ambrose family's side, Viviana, wasn't evil after all! She was being controlled the whole time! A retcon worthy of Marvel Comics. So you have to figure out who's behind all this, and put a stop to it, effectively changing 1600 years of history.

It's a nice wrap-up, with lots of neat callbacks to both of the previous games, but boy howdy, are there some glaring plot issues. You go back in time to witness a battle, but once that battle's over, you can't use your time crystals to go back to that moment. Is time going forward there or not? Can you hang out there until the next year rolls over and if so, what happens to your time crystal that's keyed to a year? Why is Michael so adamant that you hurry? "I'll meet you in the year 502. There's not much time!" Bitch, I'm a time traveller. I've got all the time in the world (again, or do I? How does it work?) Do the events of TM3 imply that TM1 and TM2 don't actually happen anymore? Or is it just wibbly wobbly timey-wimey?

Long story short, it's a good story but falls into the same traps as pretty much every time travel story.

The gameplay: Reminding myself that TM2's expert mode was convoluted with no real guesses as to where the next hidden object scene might be, I played TM3 in normal mode (it helps that there was no achievement for expert mode.) Normal mode made the game incredibly easy. Almost too easy. There doesn't seem to be a fairly challenging middle ground between spoon-feeding answers and wandering around aimlessly.

Gameplay is basically the same as TM2: use your portable time device, change events in the past to affect the future, do hidden object scenes, inventory puzzles, and minigame puzzles. Nothing gave me any trouble whatsoever. Later on you return to the Time Museum from TM1 only it's significantly less annoying, so at least they learned, and they also reuse hidden object scenes and art assets from TM2 as you return to the Ambrose Mansion - I'll call that clever instead of lazy.

The dialogue and voices: For the most part, surprisingly good. Some parts have bad acting - when a little boy congratulates you for prying open a chest, his "Yay! You did it!" sounds patronizing and sarcastic instead of genuine - but otherwise it's not painful to listen to. It looks like some of the text was fixed after the voice acting. Esther thinks that 502 is "25 years in the future" after 487, but the text correctly says 15. Way to make your voice actors look like morons, Artifex Mundi.

The length: It took me 2.9 hours to beat the main game and the bonus chapter. That's pretty short. It probably would have taken me longer in expert mode, though. So your mileage may vary.

The verdict: It's a fitting end to the trilogy, even if it's a little easy for my tastes. It's not as good as 2, but way better than 1. Do I recommend the whole trilogy? ...See if you can find a synopsis of 1, then play 2 and 3. Playing the first game won't make you want to play the sequels, but those sequels are worth it.

neonglow

Thanks to Shade's generosity, I've got impressions for Time Mysteries 3: The Final Enigma:

Nice write-up. I'm glad you ended up with the game even though you didn't win my raffle. Of all the Artifex Mundi games or any other hidden object games, which ones are your favorites?

My reaction to Root Double Route D so far:

Honestly people, get this game if you have any interest in a sci-fi mindfuck VN. Maybe during Summer Seal?

I should probably get to this soon since I backed it on Kickstarter, but just finishing Danganronpa 2 right now and have Zero Time Dilemma coming soon.

Jimrpg

God... now that the warriors lost, I need this STEAM sale more than ever. I hear shopping cures all.

Need to get something for my the new 1070 I preordered.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
how do you do the life is strange photo-focusing analogue stick rotation with the steam controller, which doesn't have a right stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom